Vodafone Internet Access? GPRS and Vodafone Live!
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Vodafone Internet Access? GPRS and Vodafone Live!

Can anyone explain the difference between "Vodafone Internet GPRS" and "Vodafone Live"
    I do use internet access mainly use wi-fi networks but now and again use mobile internet.

I don't go through the whole "Vodafone Live" portal /set up thing as I have the "Windows Live" application on my debranded N95-1 and use Google as my home page when browsing.

When I do connect to the internet when not using wifi, I'm given the options,
    1)Vodafone Live
    2)Vodafone GPRS
    3)Vodafone Java
    4)Vodafone MMS

I know MMS is for picture messages etc. and Java is for games and things?

But when using my mail client or browsing the web I don't see any difference between Live and GPRS. How are they different? Is one quicker or cheaper than the other? Is only Live covered through 7.50 price plan I'm on?

If someone could explain them to me. I phoned vodafone but they don't understand I don't go through the vodafone Live portal/home page to browse and check mail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    If your handset is de-branded, why have you still got these Vodafone features?

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    I don't know. The sim card? Also, It's debranded not unlocked. if that means anything?
    Last edited by kode; 07-17-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Your right, its because of your Vodafone sim.

Debranded meand you will no longer have the red Vodafone software on the phone, including the red splash screen upon startup, correct?

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    That's correct no vodafone logo at start up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    You shouldnt get charged for either Vodafone GPRS or the live access point.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Thanks
    I think I should and do get charged though. Somebody has to pay for the internet use I'm using away from my home network? Back to the original question. What's the difference between using "Vodafone GPRS" and "Vodafone Live" when browsing.
    Last edited by kode; 07-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    I dont think so, if you have the 7.50 data plan you get 500MB allowance (actually, its unlimited, but the guideline is 500MB).

I was told by a rep on the voda forum that it doesnt matter which point I use.

If you want clarifacation, head on over there and ask. They are much much more knowlageable than the phone support people. Shouldnt be that way, but it is.

Vodafone eForum

You have to register, but then you can ask anything and it will be answered by proper vodafone reps.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Thanks
    Soz. Thought you meant "in general".

I've tried that forum no answer ...yet.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kode View Post
    What's the difference between using "Vodafone GPRS" and "Vodafone Live" when browsing.
    Vodafone GPRS gives you full internet access (but no access to Vodafone Live content), Vodafone Live restricts you to Vodafone Live content plus a few other sites such as ebay.

If you have the 7.50 pack there is no charge for using either access point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homer For This Useful Post:

demowayne (08-05-2008)

Thanks
    yeah gprs is internet acces point..and live is wap..use the gprs most of the time..cuz the live won't lets say stream videos..or go on sites like youtube(desktop version)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kode View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between "Vodafone Internet GPRS" and "Vodafone Live"
    I do use internet access mainly use wi-fi networks but now and again use mobile internet.

I don't go through the whole "Vodafone Live" portal /set up thing as I have the "Windows Live" application on my debranded N95-1 and use Google as my home page when browsing.

When I do connect to the internet when not using wifi, I'm given the options,
    1)Vodafone Live
    2)Vodafone GPRS
    3)Vodafone Java
    4)Vodafone MMS

I know MMS is for picture messages etc. and Java is for games and things?

But when using my mail client or browsing the web I don't see any difference between Live and GPRS. How are they different? Is one quicker or cheaper than the other? Is only Live covered through 7.50 price plan I'm on?

If someone could explain them to me. I phoned vodafone but they don't understand I don't go through the vodafone Live portal/home page to browse and check mail.
    Hi Kode

With Vodafone Live it's mainly for wap sites (specifically VF live), Internet GPRS allows some normal web pages eg google. Nothing different on wap charges really. Although if accessing html or normal web pages they usually have more data & would usually use more kb per page. They both run off the signal from your handset so speed will be the same. Both I believe are covered under the Mobile Internet package for data charges though as I've never been charged for changing it over.

Hope it helps