Vodafone uk free unlock code
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Vodafone uk free unlock code

Hi all,

Just a quick post to let all Vodafone uk customers know that you can get your unlock code (NUC) for free now (they were charging 20 previously), just phone them up an request your NUC code, they will ask for your IMEI number so make sure you have that handy.

I called them up just a little while ago and said that I heard that you don't charge to unlock your phones any more (read about it being free now on another forum), the nice CS lady confirmed this and asked for my IMEI number and then gave me the NUC code over the phone and instructions on how to unlock my phone and now my N95 8GB has no sim restrictions. Excellent.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moshah For This Useful Post:

ardsar (02-22-2008), Bartmanekul (02-22-2008), dynomot (02-23-2008), gordonshowers (02-23-2008), Micky (02-22-2008), Sp00k (02-22-2008)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    If we could get this verified from one of the vodafone reps, that would be great.

And if true, maybe they could give us an explanation as to why. Definatly a good thing, just curious as to why vodafone are bucking the trend.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartmanekul For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-22-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Agreed. Confirmation by one of the online Vodafone staff would be good.

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    Ive sent a FIT message off with a link to the thread, so we should know soon enough.

I hope so. In my mind, makes sense to me. Ive seen a lot of people asking about if a networks phone is unlocked *before* they buy it. And having a locked phone really doesnt lock you into a contract, the contract does.

If it is true, I dont see why they would lock them in the first place though. Perhaps they wont bother with future phones.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

Thanks
    Apparently I also heard that Vodafone phones are now unlocked when you receive it, I don't know how if it's true but when I joined them last month I asked someone from their sales department whether the phone would be unlocked or not so I could use my Three sim while I was waiting for my number to be ported and was told that their phones will be unlocked as standard soon but he wasn't sure if the phone I received would be, it wasn't, no big deal as the number was ported in 5 days and I had my old N70 to use with my Three sim anyway.

Maybe Voda have seen that O2 phones come unlocked as standard and probably realize that for more than a few people that has been one of the deciding factors when choosing between what networks to sign up for.

Thanks
    Good afternoon everyone,

moshah is correct- we can now unlock contract handsets for free.

From earlier this year all new handsets sent out on contract accounts are network unlocked, so it'd hardly be fair for us to still charge existing contract customers to unlock their phones.

The 19.99 inc. V.A.T. charge does still apply to Pay As You Talk handsets, unless they're over 12 months old in which case we can issue the codes free of charge as before.

Happy to help,

edwardpeter

Vodafone UK

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to edwardpeter For This Useful Post:

ardsar (02-22-2008), Bartmanekul (02-22-2008), dynomot (02-23-2008), gordonshowers (02-23-2008), kritdw (02-23-2008), Micky (02-22-2008), mrplow (02-22-2008), superfly89 (02-27-2008), TheThinker (02-23-2008)

Thanks
    Brilliant.

Thanks
    Brilliant... I got my vodafone un-locked ...And now im still using a vodafone sim.. Brilliant hay ...lol
    Well done... You all talked your way into Credit crunch, Credit squeeze and a Credit crisis, fantasied about a resscion and now the possibility of another great depression?............ is it as good as you imagined it would be ?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Anyone got a number for Vodafone UK?

Thanks
    191, my memory is awful!
    Last edited by Bartmanekul; 02-22-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Anyone got a number for Vodafone UK?
    call 191 from your vodafone phone.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I just rang and was told by Vodafone business that it wasnt free. I asked to speak to a manager and then she checked our account and said as we spend a lot with them she would do it free

Thanks
    Result! Well done.

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    Calling us in the UK
    (Lines open 24 hours)
    Pay monthly
    08700 700191
    Pay as you talk
    08700 776655
    Calling us from abroad

Pay monthly
    +44 7836 191 191
    Pay as you talk
    +44 7836 191 919
    Business
    +44 7836 191 191
    Well done... You all talked your way into Credit crunch, Credit squeeze and a Credit crisis, fantasied about a resscion and now the possibility of another great depression?............ is it as good as you imagined it would be ?

Thanks
    Real AMAZING
    Well 3 mobile better stop this as well

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Thanks, great !

Got unlock code from Vodafone for free.

Changed product code and updated firmware on my N95 8gb today also - now all I need to do is change the back cover to a non vodafone branded one

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nokiaparts View Post
    Thanks, great !

Got unlock code from Vodafone for free.

Changed product code and updated firmware on my N95 8gb today also - now all I need to do is change the back cover to a non vodafone branded one
    checkout Bluetooth Headsets, Car Kits & Memory Cards - Blueunplugged.com

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Check my sig

I have hundreds of these in the office

Thanks
    Excellent really excellent news I shall unlock mine now and sell it in October as a generic N95 suitable for all networks in excellent condition. For that is what It'll be. I hope by October Nokia (or dare I say it someone else) has come up with a phone to be a worthy successor to the N95. Sadly the N96 doesn't appear to look like it. If not,I shall ask Vodafone for a huge credit to my account or I shall go elsewhere. It has always worked in the past.
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !

Nokia User
    Thanks
    just rang vodafone to get mine & the first thing he said to me was "sorry due to technical diffulties we unable to answer any questions today could you please call back tomorrow between the hours of 12 & 4"

Thanks
    For all you Voda staff....

I got my N95 from ebay, so it is not my official Voda contract phone (although it's obviously the phone I'm using on said contract)

Will I still be able to get the unlock code for free? It is a Vodafone branded handset, by the way...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby95 View Post
    Will I still be able to get the unlock code for free? It is a Vodafone branded handset, by the way...
    I would have thought so. Lets get this right. You have a Vodafone contract. This means you can use the SIM card in any unlocked phone to use the account of that contract, or any phone locked to Vodafone.

Your N95 while not the phone supplied with your contract is locked to Vodafone. Meaning you can use any Vodafone SIM but not any other network providers SIM.

You need the phone's IMEI. This is the serial number of the phone and stays the same unique number whatever SIM you use with it. Type *#06# from standby and the phone will give it you. Then phone 191 (free) from your locked phone to gain your unlock code from Vodafone.

A Vodafone branded handset means that it still has the annoying Vodafone version of the firmware (v11 with Vodafone garbage bolted on). A branded phone can be an unlocked phone and a 'de-branded' phone can be a locked one. A phone bought without a contract from a high street store should be both unlocked and unbranded (same as de-branded but never branded in the first place IYSWIM). It is this that most N95 owners hope to aspire and achieve.

A branded phone won't let you upgrade via Nokia Software Updater (NSU) because Vodafone (or any other network provider) haven't bothered to bolt their junk to v20 (the latest) firmware. Sheer laziness and bad customer relations IMO. To 'de-brand' it you need a generic product code for your N95, this can be changed using a piece of PC software called Nemesis Service Suite (NSS). Then upgrade (or re-install) the latest firmware. This will purge your phone of all Vodafone software. Your N95 will run faster with fewer 'hang ups' and crashes. (I can't unfortunately say none). You can now use all the N95's features such as VoIP, SIP etc. Things purposely disabled by operators with their branded firmware.

The settings for the internet browser and multi media messages (MMS) are now Vodafone Live! (to Vodafone Live! WAP pages but NOT the internet generally) Vodafone Internet GPRS (the internet but NOT Vodafone Live!) and Vodafone MMS (for MMS settings only). These are determined by the SIM card you have in the phone on power up not the phone.

De-branding and using NSS instructions can be found here in the forum (on page 2):

http://www.n95users.com/forum/genera...95-tips-2.html

As far as I know the only difference between a generic unbranded unlocked N95 and a once Vodafone branded and locked N95 that has now been de-branded and unlocked is that the product code in the phone is different to the one printed on the sticker behind the battery rather than the same in the once Vodafone one. A word of caution here. Once you have de-branded your phone it is worth while changing the product code back to the one found behind your battery on the sticker because a it may invalidate the warranty should you need a warranty repair. It is a grey area. This does mean to update your firmware you have to swap it back again, but this is a minor inconvenience compared to paying for a repair.

I will stand corrected if I'm wrong here, its only my understanding of 'De-branded' 'Un-branded' and locked and unlocked as I see them, technically I could be at fault but for practical purposes I believe I'm correct.

Thanks
    Hi Dynomot

Thanks for all the tips about debranding etc, but you're preaching to the converted. I already know how to de-brand and I know how to get the IMEI number and I know the difference between debranding and unlocking.

I debranded my handset a long long time ago and I now have firmware version 2.0 running.

I am only interested in getting the simlock removed, as I'm coming to the end of my Voda contract and have been given a more attractive option with another carrier, who says I can keep my phone number. I need to get this phone's simlock disabled, so I can use it with the new carrier.

Before calling up 191 for the unlock code, I need to know if they'll give me it for free, even though it's a phone that wasn't part of my contract.

Thanks
    I'd be interested in finding that out too Bobby, as Im planning on buying an 8GB N95 soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi-R View Post
    I'd be interested in finding that out too Bobby, as Im planning on buying an 8GB N95 soon.
    Mick,

I just received a 6500 Classic I bought on ebay - brand new "unwanted upgrade" in Vodafone box and with branded software, but unlocked. Seller swears she hasn't done anything except take out of the box to test it works.

I guess it is true, but it's probably still hit and miss on ebay, definitely worth asking all sellers advertising Vodafone-locked phones to actually test them with another SIM card, I don't think this is public knowledge yet and you might get a bargain.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

Micky (03-12-2008)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Does this apply to the 95-2, as I was told today it had to sent away to get unlocked.

Gaz
    Thanks
    I got my unlock code off Voda for my N95-2 yesterday for free over the hpone !
    They did try to charge me 20 until I asked to speak to a manager and they miraculously remembered the change in policy then

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Gaz, I was tonight from Voda that I have to pay for mine as my 95-2 is under a year old, I gave him the number from it and he said he had the code, but I that was it....barsteward

Gaz
    Thanks
    call again and try a different advisor !
    Make sure that you argue that you know they are doing it for free now and ask for a manager should you get nowhere

Thanks
    For anyone having trouble with getting a free unlock code, use the online email form from the vodafone website and put in FIT135 somewhere in the body of the text. Obviously, dont forget your IMEI number.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Service Level 2 View Post
    call again and try a different advisor !
    Make sure that you argue that you know they are doing it for free now and ask for a manager should you get nowhere

Will do..

bm...if I've no luck with the above method I'll try that, and if that doesnt work.....well I'll just have to pay my 20.

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clarify Vodafone's policy on Network Unlock Codes (NUC.)

All handset sent out from Vodafone after the 1st Feb are now unlocked so that any SIM card can be used in them, because of this we've decide to offer NUC codes for free.

The NUC's are free no mater how long you have serviced of your contract.

We are happy to unlock any Vodaofne handset that we can see has been used with your SIM card.

You simply need to call our customer service department on 08700 700 191 or 191 from your vodafone handset. Just tell us the make/model of your phone and also the IMEI number (which can be obtained by entering *#06# in to your phone)

If we hold the NUC precedure on our systems we can issue the code immediately, If not there's a possible timescale of 72hrs.

Hope this clears thing up.

Techgirl
    Vodafone UK

Gaz
    Thanks
    cheers Techgirl but it's not us that needs to be brought upto date on the change , it's the customer service reps that are still asking for 20 unless they are just trying to earn themselves some cash on the side

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Not just that gaz.....

I notice techgirl say its only for contract's, everything's geared for them.....because i'm payg I still have to pay, which is just NOT bll00dy right or fair

Gaz
    Thanks
    Ahh that is true , PAYG customers still have to pay as the phones are heavily subsidised and PAYG have no minimum term of contract that you are contracted to pay so there is no financial comeback once your phone is unlocked so they are unfortunately quite rightly within their rights to charge you for the unlock !
    Plus 20 is a lot less than your local corner shop will charge for newer BB5 handsets to be unlocked plus it does not void your warranty
    I just had my other N95-2 unlocked by Vodafone and this time they did it with no hassle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stucbr View Post
    Not just that gaz.....

I notice techgirl say its only for contract's, everything's geared for them.....because i'm payg I still have to pay, which is just NOT bll00dy right or fair
    From my experience, if you are a registered payandgo customer for over 1 year, vodafone will still do that for free. That's what the guy on the phone told me.

Otherwise, they will ask you for GBP 19.99, but you could always ask your friends with vodafone for over a year to unlock for you (if they don't have the need).

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 205GTi View Post
    From my experience, if you are a registered payandgo customer for over 1 year, vodafone will still do that for free. That's what the guy on the phone told me.

Otherwise, they will ask you for GBP 19.99, but you could always ask your friends with vodafone for over a year to unlock for you (if they don't have the need).
    I only got it yesterday (black one) so I guess I'll have to pay, I understand what gaz say's, but I still dont think it's fair.
    Last edited by stucbr; 03-07-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stucbr View Post
    I only got it yesterday (black one) so I guess I'll have to pay, I understand what gaz say's, but I still dont think it's fair.

Would you think it fair if the contract users had to subsidise the PAYT users ? Or if all but the cheapest phones became contract only ?. For once I applaud Vodafone. Surely a year using a Vodafone PAYT sim is no real hardship for such a great phone ?

Banned
    Thanks
    Im on contract with voda. I phoned over a week ago to get my old nokia unlocked for my son,
    was told hey would e mail me the number within 72 hours. phoned 3 days later asking where the unlock code was only to be told it can take upto 5 working days. Phoned again today,
    They have asked me to phone back next Wed if i aint got it. Do you think they dont want to give it to me or something?

Gaz
    Thanks
    odd ,they gave me both of mine over the phone and email instantly !
    Which handset are you trying to unlock ?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Same here Gaz, I was all ready with the CC, the girl gave it over the phone and that was that, no charge aswell, and yet I was told there would be . I'm now back on 02.

Banned
    Thanks
    Its the 6280. It just seems odd that depending which operater you get through to they all tell you something differentI wouldn't mind if they had to get the code from somewhere else but it was voda who sold me the phone with my contract.

Gaz
    Thanks
    they may need to get the code from the importer/reseller if you got it from someone like phones 4 u as they usually retain the codes .
    Also being an older handset they made have to get them from Nokia .
    time will tell my friend

Banned
    Thanks
    It was straight from voda, but as you said Gaz, time will tell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Mick,

I just received a 6500 Classic I bought on ebay - brand new "unwanted upgrade" in Vodafone box and with branded software, but unlocked. Seller swears she hasn't done anything except take out of the box to test it works.

I guess it is true, but it's probably still hit and miss on ebay, definitely worth asking all sellers advertising Vodafone-locked phones to actually test them with another SIM card, I don't think this is public knowledge yet and you might get a bargain.
    Cheers for that. Having just purchased another 8GB N95 from Vodafone, I did try a different sim, but was locked.

Called Vodafone, and they were very helpful. Unfortunately, even though the phone is meant to be new, the Voda sim card that came in the package is registered in someone elses name, which now leads me to have to buy another Voda Sim card, register it in my name, then call Voda to get it unlock, however, not for free. This is due to the handset being less than 12 months old. Its going to cost me 19.99 as stated earlier in this thread.

Basically, I have to get a new sim card, add 20 credit on it, or a little more, then Voda, once Ive called them will try to unlock it, and take the 19.99 out of my credit balance.

They did warn me that if they could not find the code, they may have to search for it, with has a 48 hour turnover.

Wil keep you posted.

Thanks
    Quick update. Unlocked this morning, no problems. Quick process of keying in various digits, and all done.

Thanks
    yep same here did mine this morning no mention of charges

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clarify Vodafone's policy on Network Unlock Codes (NUC.)

All handset sent out from Vodafone after the 1st Feb are now unlocked so that any SIM card can be used in them, because of this we've decide to offer NUC codes for free.

The NUC's are free no mater how long you have serviced of your contract.

We are happy to unlock any Vodaofne handset that we can see has been used with your SIM card.

You simply need to call our customer service department on 08700 700 191 or 191 from your vodafone handset. Just tell us the make/model of your phone and also the IMEI number (which can be obtained by entering *#06# in to your phone)

If we hold the NUC precedure on our systems we can issue the code immediately, If not there's a possible timescale of 72hrs.

Hope this clears thing up.

Techgirl
    Vodafone UK
    i would just want to ask if i can make my nokia n95 8gb unlocked through email?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eccabol View Post
    i would just want to ask if i can make my nokia n95 8gb unlocked through email?
    Hi eccabol

In answer to your question, you can request your unlocking code by email. If you're a Vodafone UK user, email us using the Contact Vodafone Form.

If you're not a Vodafone UK user, just contact your provider and your code will then be emailed to you.

dwlu
    Vodafone UK

Thanks
    I got a N95 8gb as a Vodafone contract upgrade a couple of weeks ago and tried a T-Mobile sim in it and it said 'sim card not valid'.
    I thought all Vodafone contract phones came unlocked? They did offer to unlock it, but that's not the point. Do any of the Vodafone moderators know why I might have been sent a locked handset?