E71 & skype
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E71 & skype

Thanks

E71 & skype

I've installed skype, the latest version, and SIP VoIP settings nokia software, and am unable to connect with skype. I have also found an article
    that describes what I must do in the SIP settings, Internet tel, configurations. Under the title "VoIPVoIP Service" it states Registration failed.

When I try to start skype I see the following message: No Internet Access Points have been defined on this phone. Please specify one & try again.

The OS system help system is no help. Can anyone help me, I would really like to avoid going to a higher plan with AT&T. Or is it possible that Skype simply does not work on the E71.

If perhaps that Skype is dead on arrive, can anyone let me know of a similar program that will work with the E71

thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,332 Posts
    Skype works fine on E71 without any additional SIP/VOIP settings required. All you need is an Internet connection defined on the E71. Do you have such a plan with AT&T ? Can you access the Internet from the E71 with other applications, e.g. browser ?
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

skip (06-14-2012)

Thanks

Smile Skype

First, thank you for your reply. Yes I do have a data plan with at&t and yes my browser does come up and work. However, I haven't used my browser because it is so
    small. I use my data plan to access the web using my Netbook with the E71 as a hot spot.

What I have been trying to do is open skype without going into the browser, if this is your question. I'm not much of a techie with this cell phone, as it took me a long time
    to set it up, doesn't seem to be user friendly, but I knew that when I purchased the phone. However, over the last 1 1/2 yrs it has served me well, and is well built and rugged.
    Something that can't be said for most cheap plastic phones.

Again, if you can walk me through the process of utilizing and setting up the mobile skype this would be very much appreciated. I am familiar with skype as I have used it for years
    on my computer.

thanks againhttp://www.nokiausers.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

skip

Thanks
    You only need Skype, which you have already installed. You don't need to open the browser. To be on the safe side, please uninstall everything else you thought is necessary to use Skype and undo everything else you have done with SIP/VOIP settings.

What do you have showing under Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Network destinations > Internet ?

Please bear in mind I am doing the above from memory, since I don't have a S60 with me right now, so the path might be slightly different but you should get there in the end. Make sure you have Mobile data On.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

skip (06-15-2012)

Thanks

Wink E71 & Skype

Thank you for your help, I have deleted all the setting, I hope, that I have recently made. An I have removed the software download from the phone. I have also shut off & rebooted the phone.

The following Paths are on my E71 Phone:

settings> Phone>Access Points (1) AT&T MMS (2) Media Net (internet)

settings> connections> SIP settings There are other selections under connections but I did not think they were applicable
    > Internet Telephone
    > UPN
    > configurations
    > APN Control

Again thank you for your help

Skiphttp://www.nokiausers.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.png

Thanks
    What happens when you try to run Skype now ? It should bring up a start screen with log-in details and then tell you that you may incur data charges if you use the service so it is recommended to use WIFI, etc. blah blah.

Thanks
    When I try to start skype I see the following message: No Internet Access Points have been defined on this phone. Please specify one & try again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    settings> connections> SIP settings There are other selections under connections but I did not think they were applicable
    What other selections are there ? Have a look here: http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/p...8_FILE001.html
    Last edited by 93tid; 06-15-2012 at 01:25 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

skip (06-15-2012)

Thanks
    I followed the directions, I think, exited (there were no save options so I assumed the setup was saved automatically). Powered off the cell and restarted.
    Went to Installed Programs and selected Skype. Received the same error message as I indicated in two of my previous posts. Did not do anything in the Advanced
    Internet Point setting instructions.

The one area that may be a problem is Homepage where I entered: http://skype Perhaps this should be left blank.

Other then this one observation I don't see where there should be a problem. Under access point I used by internet connection with at&t: Access point name: MEdiaNet (exactly line it is shown on my E71

I am now at a loss, again. Your thoughts

skip

Thanks

Thanks
    I followed the att learning center information and completed what was required, for the most part. Next let me tell you what I did.

I went into my web browser, it opened up ok, entered at the www: skype.com, selected MEdiaNet, and skype home page was loaded with no problem.
    I next went to the Installed Programs and clicked on Skype and received the same error message as in other text.

Now the one variation I noticed in the Att explanation had to do with the home page. In their example it showed http://home whereas on my E71 is shows http://device.home
    I didn't change because I thought it would make no difference. Am I wrong? Perhpas Skype is no longer compatible with the E71 and that is why OVI no longer has
    skype listed in their programs? what's your thoughts?

Thanks
    Do you have a standard E71 or the AT&T specific E71x version ?

The home page should not make any difference.

I have just spoken on Skype with a friend of mine on his E71 so definitely Skype is compatible with it. It is also available in the Nokia Store: Nokia Store: Download Skype

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

skip (06-16-2012)

Thanks
    I have a E71 unlocked World phone that has not been through at&t

I just following the link to the OVI store and did find skype, not sure where I was at when I was looking,
    perhaps some far away planet. Skype is there; however, nokia E71 is not listed as being compatible with skype
    Last edited by skip; 06-16-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: additional information

Thanks
    If you look in the top left corner of the page the link takes you to you will see that it states 'get apps for your Nokia E71'.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Skype from the link.

Thanks
    I just went back to the page that comes up in the above referenced link. There is no reference, that I am able to see, that says "get apps for your Nokia E71"
    It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I do not see it.

I then went back to the Nokia phone selector and selected the appropriate phone profile and again no E71. It skips from the E60 to the E90.

I've gone back to this page twice and both times I do not see your reference, in fact as soon as this post is sent I am going back again.

thank you for your help

skip