Upgrading firmware
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Upgrading firmware

First Post Alert.....

Got my N95 8gb a couple of days ago, and so far, I'm very impressed!

Had a good look around on the web though and have seen lots about upgrading the firmware. Mine is set to v11.xxxxx so I want to take advantage of the v15.xxx release - I found somewhere on here about changing the device code (mine won't update via the Nokia Updater) and to be honest, I'm buggered if I can find it again. I will eventually though - or if someone can point me in the right direction.....

My question is though, will the update stop my preloaded copy of Spiderman3 working? Or will it be deleted as part of the update? I'm guessing it will be deleted, but some advice would be good!

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,258 Posts
    The code is on the Nokia label underneath your battery,not sure though if debranding and updating the FW will affect your Spidey film as i haven't tried it yet on the mrs N95-2.
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    Thats great - thanks.

Just need to find the instructions for changing the code and I'm good to go.

Might have to watch Spidey on the train first though!

Thanks
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    Hi,

I got my n95 8gb from an o2 store last week. Firstly the nokia software update states that i have the lastest firmware even though i have v11.xxxxx, please advise if o2 have not accepted the latest firmware,

Secondly the sim i have is years old and therefore not 3g, what will be the advantages of having the new sim??

Thanks

Gaz
    Thanks
    the sim should ben able to use 3G as long as you make sure your netwrok has enabled data on your account !
    Spidey 3 will be replaced when you upgrade the firmware as long as you do a content copy/back up via the Nokia PC suite content copier .
    The reason you have to back up the phone is so that you do not lose the license that enables you to view the film.
    I have upgraded twice and experienced no problems .
    That said I would severely think twice about changing your product code as it will invalidate the warranty.
    All UK networks have approved V15 now so it's only a matter of a week or so untill NSU allows you to update your firmware without changing the product code.
    Vodafone handsets can already upgrade on NSU.
    V15 is the latest version for all N95-2 handsets now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

scott.herring (03-10-2008)

Thanks
    Sorry for being off topic BUT: The sim i have is 2/3 years old, i called o2 the other day and they said i'd need a new sim to enable video calls etc... Is this correct or should i call them to enable data???
    What does having 3G enable me to do??

With regards to the firmware update, i will wait the extra week to see if my PC Suite registers new firmware any time soon.

Thanks

Gaz
    Thanks
    best bet then is to call O2 and say you want a new sim to enable you to use new services (eg 3) and they should send you a replacement for free !
    Or just pop into your local O2 dealer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

scott.herring (03-10-2008)

Thanks
    Gaz,do you know when a new firmware version from o2 will be available for the N82?

Gaz
    Thanks
    remind me of the RM number and i'll go have a look

Thanks
    RM-313.........Does that sound right to you?

Gaz
    Thanks
    sounds about right
    Give me a few minutes i'm experiencing the joys of re-installing Pheonix

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Grayburn (03-10-2008)

Thanks
    No worries mate take as long as you want.

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Check when the next N95-1 update is aswell culd ya? lol

Gaz
    Thanks
    V10.0.046
    dated 21/02/08 so unless they have upgraded in the last week (which I will check once my main pc is back up and running) V11 is not available to you yet

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Grayburn (03-10-2008)

Gaz
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    Check when the next N95-1 update is aswell culd ya? lol
    As yet there appear to be no plans to go beyond V20 for the N95-1 as it seems to have cured most ills

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Service Level 2 View Post
    V10.0.046
    dated 21/02/08 so unless they have upgraded in the last week (which I will check once my main pc is back up and running) V11 is not available to you yet
    Okay mate cheers,i have v.10 but it has a date different to what have stated.

I can wait though.

Gaz
    Thanks
    No worries
    The date I posted was the date of the software matrix telling us what software is current for which network so not relevant the handsets themselves

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Grayburn (03-10-2008)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Mine is N95 8GB (Spiderman 3 ) :

V11.0.26
    01-11-07
    RM-320
    Nokia N95 (93.03)
    Product Code : 0559942
    My Carrier : 3G UK

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Service Level 2 View Post
    Spidey 3 will be replaced when you upgrade the firmware as long as you do a content copy/back up via the Nokia PC suite content copier .
    The reason you have to back up the phone is so that you do not lose the license that enables you to view the film.
    Hi, just got a N95-2 last week on v11 and would like to get in on v15. I can copy the spidey film to my PC, what do I need to backup to maintain the license?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David77 View Post
    Hi, just got a N95-2 last week on v11 and would like to get in on v15. I can copy the spidey film to my PC, what do I need to backup to maintain the license?
    Please use the search function mate as this has been discussed numerous times.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I plan to upgrade firmware soon so I did a backup using Nokia Content Copier. I understand that it is recommended to do a second backup of contacts only, using PC Sync. But if I sync with Microsoft Outlook which I've never used, will it simply copy my contacts to Microsoft Outlook (and where exactly? I don't have an email account with them), or will it sync and therefore delete my contacts from my phone (because I don't have any contacts in Microsoft Outlook)?

I have searched but I'm just confused because people are saying to restore contacts only. What is the point in doing a backup in Content Copier if you should only restore contacts?!? I want to restore all my data as I have a lot of music,videos etc.

Thanks
    to back up your data files such as music and videos, you don't need to use content copier. just copy them over to the pc via mass storage mode. you're using the N95 8GB right? your phone has phone memory, and the 8gb memory. if i'm not mistaken, a firmware upgrade will only format the phone memory. so if your data files are on the 8GB, it should be safe. better if those with the N95 8GB can confirm this.

another way to backup contacts is:

To back up your contacts

Go to the Contacts Menu> Options> Mark All> Options> Copy> To memory/memory card

its only recommended to restore the contacts and messages, because when you do a full backup, you're backing up the settings and applications as well which could break the phone functions or even screw the phone. its better to start afresh. but for data files such as music or videos should be safe to restore or copy over from the pc

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hairil.abubakar For This Useful Post:

Linda123 (04-19-2008)