Connecting to my orange broadband livebox
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Question Connecting to my orange broadband livebox

Hi,
    im a newbie so be kind,

i cant seem to get my N95 linked up to my home Orange broadband by wi-fi/wlan, when i try, my phone asked for a "pre-shared key", whats that?
    ive tried to put in my wpa key that i use on all my other devices but that doesnt seem to work...what am i doing wrong?..if this has been asked b4 then im sorry to duplicate it.

please help............

Jonsie

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    The WPA-PSK key is the password for your livebox.

It will be a phrase, and was either something you set when you installed it, or was pre-set by Orange and they can assist you with it.

There are losts of Orange users at .net Magazine :: Index who should be able to talk you through this step by step. Just post in the ISP section

Thanks
    Following on from this, I assume all other routers/wifi users will have to put in an encryption key when trying to connect if you have the security key set. Is there a way of the N95 remembering the key when connecting or do I have to keep doing what I'm doing now and have no security? Thanks

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    To connect to your livebox you need to enter the WEP key thats printed on the sticker under the livebox, you also need to press the 1 button on the side of the box to put it in pairing mode.
    Then it will connect

Thanks
    Wadey, thanks but do I have to keep doing this everytime I want to connect or is there a way of it remembering?

Thanks
    On the back of your livebox there will be two buttons - 1 + 2. Press them both at the same time and you will have about 10 minutes of the pairing mode (Wadey - I thought you have to press both buttons and not just the '1'?). Ok, so now try using the 'Wlan wizard' in your tools menu. This should allow you to save the settings and remember your home connection + settings. You should also be able to define it as your default connection if you wish...

I have my n95 working well with my livebox, but at first I did have the problem of having to input the WEP/WPA keys for it, a tad frustrating!

Good luck

Thanks
    Dave,

thanks for that, I tried what you said but for some reason when I activated the security in my livebox settings neither my n95 or my laptop could access it? I'm sure it's my lack of knowledge on how to set up the livebox rather than anything to do with the n95 but I have resorted to no security for an easy life!

Thanks
    Papagolf.. you're a brave person to do that! Have you tried using just the WEP security instead of WEP/WPA or just WPA? WEP security is not as breach-resistant as WPA but it does offer more peace of mind than using your livebox without security. Unless you live a fair distance from other houses or flats you run the risk of allowing any tom dick or harry to connect to your box scot free.. The important part when trying to connect is pressing those buttons on the back of your touer - this will allow other devices, ie your laptop + mobile, to pair to your livebox and connect. You can see which devices have 'paired' to your livebox by going into the livebox configuration page, then Security > Associated devices. It may take a little trial and error, but worth it!

Thanks
    I have just paired my phone N8 with the orange live box , which took me several attempts to get it right as the orange website is not particularily helpful.
    I also got the "pre-shared key" message which is your WPA code and it is written on the bottom of your orange box.
    On the bottom of the orange box it is called the security code and is around 26 characters long. I dont think you get an option to turn this on or off and I think your WIFI is automatically protected.
    If your code has dashes or spaces just type it in without any spaces as one long string of characters and note that it is case sensitive .

HOWEVER just before you start inputting this into the phone make sure you press buttons 1 and 2 (I think you only need to press 1 ) but hold it down for a few seconds and you will see one light start to flash as it goes into pairing mode. Type in this long number (You have a few minutes before the box cancels the flashing) and it should connect. When you do do it make sure you stay next to the Box to allow a strong connection while it accepts it as I wandered off with my phone and it dropped the connection.

Good Luck