battery first charging time..
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

battery first charging time..

i still confiused about first time charging after we bought the brand new cell phone....so many peoples told me that we must charging for the first time around 6 or 8 or 12 hours to make battery performance more powerful...if we doesnt done like that, yor battery will broke n using hour will more shorter..is that true???

i hope all of you here help me because next week i will buy brand new nokia n95...now im currently using my nokia e61 n nokia n93...still in my hand now...plzzz help me to know about that maybe through your experience....ok...tq

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The advice you have heard is correct, but usually people ignore it for li-ion batteries like we have in the N95. But even so it cannot hurt to follow the rule for the first 2-3 times that you charge the battery.

Here is what i do for a new phone.
    1. Open the box, use the phone till the initial charge is completely drained.
    2. Charge the battery for a long time (overnight), and make sure you dont disconnect and reconnect while charging.
    3. Use the battery till dead.
    4. Repeat overnight charge.

I usually do this for the first 2-3 times when I get a new phone, after that you can charge it whenever you want, and for however long you want. Ie you dont have to wait till its completely full before you stop charging.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post
    The advice you have heard is correct, but usually people ignore it for li-ion batteries like we have in the N95. But even so it cannot hurt to follow the rule for the first 2-3 times that you charge the battery.

2. Charge the battery for a long time (overnight), and make sure you dont disconnect and reconnect while charging.

I usually do this for the first 2-3 times when I get a new phone, after that you can charge it whenever you want, and for however long you want. Ie you dont have to wait till its completely full before you stop charging.
    Do not do this with lithium ion batteries... I'll find the blog and test results later on, but the best policy is to keep it on charge whenever possible, even if the battery is full...

Thanks

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Yes the blog is likely to be right. I know the rule works well with batteries for which hysteresis is a dominant detrimental factor; such as ni-cd. Although electronics is my field, I am not so well versed when it comes to battery chemistry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post

so..thts mean..for my next phone(n95) use the same way...how about battry performance..is tht good now?since u practice tht way?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    All Li-Ion/Polymer batteries have a regulator circuit built-in (see here) as overcharging them can cause fire or explosion and totally discharging them can either severely limit their capacity to take a charge or totally ruin them.

Basically, they're (almost) idiot-proof... I've found that they're quite happy to be kept topped-up, in fact I've had a Sharp Mini-Disc player with a Li-Ion battery, on almost permanent trickle-charge (left charging even when indicating Full) for over ten years now and the battery still gives the full rated life when I use the player. Though I wouldn't expect the BL-5F to last quite as long!

Use them and abuse them, they're designed to take it!

However... The fact that their safety in use is controlled by the in-built regulator circuitry... Is a very good reason to buy only genuine OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) batteries!
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

Thanks
    i still confiused about all these things...so the better way...how....still keep charging that battery overnite after that battery was empty...?n i must repeat that way until 2-3 timesafter i buy it?

Thanks
    It basically means keep the phone on the charger where possible... Don't worry about overgcharging it.... as long as you're using genuine nokia accessories you won't damage your device...

Thanks
    sorry to bring up this thread again, but I may be getting a n95 8gb soon. According to blog you should just charge it whenever you can. Do you guys agree with that?

Or do you guys just follow the : open box, use till drain, charge over night, use till drain charge over night - repeat 2-3 times?

Maybe we should make a poll about this...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by somemale View Post
    sorry to bring up this thread again, but I may be getting a n95 8gb soon. According to blog you should just charge it whenever you can. Do you guys agree with that?

Or do you guys just follow the : open box, use till drain, charge over night, use till drain charge over night - repeat 2-3 times?

First one... Don't do the second one... You'll kill the batteries... Lithium Ion batteries hate being fully depleted...

Nokia User The.Terrabyte.Pirate's Avatar
    Thanks

No poll needed. Never ever allow a lithium ion battery to completely discharge. It'll dramatically reduce your battery life. Ni-card batteries required the occasional deep charge to maintain performance (ie completely draining battery, fully charging, drain battery, rinse, repeat) but doing this to your n95 battery will completely root it up.

Put your n95 on charge every night if you use it often enough to require it, or keep the car charger plugged in and charge it whenever you drive anywhere. You cannot overcharge a genuine n95 battery. I tend to keep my phone near my comp when I'm home, so it's on charge 3 or so hours a day. It's best for the life of the battery to keep it topped up in this manner.

It's better to invest in a second battery as a spare to avoid a complete discharge of your original if you're going to be away from a charge for a while. At least then you'll have two good batteries rather than a replacement and a buggered original.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Terrabyte.Pirate View Post
    No poll needed. Never ever allow a lithium ion battery to completely discharge. It'll dramatically reduce your battery life. Ni-card batteries required the occasional deep charge to maintain performance (ie completely draining battery, fully charging, drain battery, rinse, repeat) but doing this to your n95 battery will completely root it up.

Put your n95 on charge every night if you use it often enough to require it, or keep the car charger plugged in and charge it whenever you drive anywhere. You cannot overcharge a genuine n95 battery. I tend to keep my phone near my comp when I'm home, so it's on charge 3 or so hours a day. It's best for the life of the battery to keep it topped up in this manner.

It's better to invest in a second battery as a spare to avoid a complete discharge of your original if you're going to be away from a charge for a while. At least then you'll have two good batteries rather than a replacement and a buggered original.
    I don't bother so much now with v20 but I used to carry my charger with me everywhere and have it plugged it whnever I could...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusG View Post
    I don't bother so much now with v20 but I used to carry my charger with me everywhere and have it plugged it whnever I could...
    I tend to use my gps extensively. Even if I upgraded and lost my tracking function, I'd still need as much power as I could get.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Terrabyte.Pirate View Post

Thanks a lot for this information Pirate!
    I have been banging my head against the desk reading so much information about this battery stuff. Some people say do this, some people say do that...its so #*$)(#@*$#@ CONFUSING!!! A lot of people link the battery university post, but it doesnt give me any information on exactly what to do!!

So I think what I wll do when I first get the phone is:
    Open Box
    Drool Over phone
    Clean up drool
    Charge right away? (should I leave it on or off? also some people still suggest charging it for a long time up to 16 hours? what do you think about this)
    Then use phone as normal, making sure never to let it completely discharge and charge whenever possible.

is this correct? and could you answer my questions in the middle?

Thanks!

Thanks
    So I think what I wll do when I first get the phone is:
    Open Box
    Yep.

Drool Over phone
    Yep.

Clean up drool
    Use a soft cloth or tissue.

Charge right away? (should I leave it on or off? also some people still suggest charging it for a long time up to 16 hours? what do you think about this)
    Well, the battery shouldn't be in the phone when you get it, it should be packed seperately in the box. Mine had a full charge. You might as well put the battery in and turn the phone on. I guarantee over 90% of the people on the forum did that. You can then see how charged the battery is, and if it's discharged through storage. You might as well plug it in for charge then and there. It won't do any harm. Even if you left it charging for 16 hours, the phone won't let you put more charge in than the max. What'd happen then is that if you left the phone on, as the battery drained in standby, it would trickle charge at the same time. You can tell when the charge is full, the phone beeps and flashes.

Then use phone as normal, making sure never to let it completely discharge and charge whenever possible.
    Yep.

is this correct? and could you answer my questions in the middle?

Thanks!
    Done. Enjoy your phone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Terrabyte.Pirate For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-16-2008)