Earpiece speaker distorted? Read here for the fix!
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Earpiece speaker distorted? Read here for the fix!

****** THIS FIX WILL _NOT_ VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND IS NOW TOTALLY HARMLESS!!! ******

I'm leaving the old info here just for reference, enjoy. If you really don't want to read it all because you're lazy, then just skip to the part in red at the end of my post, BEFORE doing ANYTHING to your phone!!!

Well, on to my 4th handset, everything was going swimmingly up until 2 days ago. Slider wasn't wobbly, absolutely zero 'high pitched noise' being emitted from the phone, GPS locks in seconds from cold boot. I thought it was literally fourth time lucky.

Then I was sorely disappointed when I next got my phone out of my pocket whilst on my trip in Prague and found that the earpiece speaker had decided to give up the ghost, for no apparent reason. All I had been doing was taking pics and video, the last call I made was fine, then it just stopped working. Anyway, you all know the story if you've had this problem.

I had decided while I was over there, that as soon as I got back, I was going to attack my N95 with a screwdriver, in the most polite way possible. Armed with a T5, I set to work.

After having 2 out of my 4 handsets do this to me, I've had enough. It's warranty voiding time.

Now before I start, here is the obligatory warning, if you ruin your N95 when trying this, please dont blame me, you do this entirely at your own risk. With that out of the way, lets get started.

With some experience of this problem under my belt, in the sense that this is the 3rd time this has happened to me, I'd come to the conclusion that the speaker itself must be alright, but something had come loose and something was 'vibrating' in the earpiece. Was it the metal mesh that covers it, or something else? Turns out I was at least partially right, its vibrating metal, but not the mesh.

I unscrewed the front cover by removing the 4 screws that are accessible when the phone is extended both ways.

Two from the top:

Two from the bottom:

Be careful removing the front cover, on the underside, there are two metal clips on the inside of the cover about halfway up. These are plyable metal. Excessive bending bends them in such a way that the cover wont come off easily, and you'll end up breaking the plastic bit they clip on to, attached to the slider on the phone body, like I did. Spewing. Please learn from my mistake.

With the front cover off, you will be able to see and remove the earpiece speaker, and you can then remove it from the cover, as this is the bit we are interested in. See below:

At this point, I was wondering if the speaker was vibrating against the metal mesh you see, and originally I was convinced this was the case. So I tried getting some thin felt stuff, (you know like the stuff that covers the keyboard of a new laptop when its brand new) and cut it to size (a few of them to bulk it out slightly) and place it between the mesh and the speaker to see if it would stop the two vibrating against each other. Wrong. Several iterations of this proved pointless. It was vibrating just as bad as ever.

So, that leaves only one culprit, the little speaker unit itself. I was pretty disappointed at this point, because as you can see below, the little speaker unit is a boxed up animal, no way in to operate, except maybe......

Those two little holes.

So naturally I got something that could fit into those holes so i could poke fun at them. A small paper clip or a pin will do the job nicely. You'll notice that when inserting said object into the holes, you will hear a click sound, and then when you remove the object, you will hear another click sound.

So, whats inside, is a very thin (but somewhat sturdy) metal film, that is convex in shape. It also 'bounces back' as I tried to describe, when you press against it.

So, what I did, was pressed on it, in both holes, several times, very carefully and lightly, (but with a small amount of force). Certainly not enough force to pierce a hole in it, but close as possible to. It's without a doubt, that this piece of thin metal has come loose, on the inside of the earpiece speaker and when noise comes out from the bit behind this thin sheet of metal it makes the annoying vibration/distortion sound. It would seem that pressing on it in this manner has 'put it back in it's place'.

Now my earpiece speaker vibration is gone, and voices coming through the phone sound as good as ever! Sure beats sending the phone back to Nokia, and is fun to do as well. Just remember to be careful as any visible signs of damage will void your warranty!

EDIT: It has been pointed out that with a pin that is small enough, you can actually pierce through the mesh that covers the earpiece, you can get access to two holes from the outside of the phone without actually having to pull it apart! So it just became a 30 second fix. Enjoy!

EDIT AGAIN: This fix is now into it's 3rd generation! It's now been reported that all you have to do is put the earpiece to your mouth, and blow and then suck really hard in it. That's it. You'll know when you've done it right because the distortion will be gone. This must be the easiest fix to perform for an annoying problem, ever. Thanks to everyone else who contributed! Much respect!

Salada2k
    Last edited by Sp00k; 04-29-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Update info

Hit that Search button! No results? DONT PANIC. Put an * after your search term, and try again!

I am anti 'Txt spk'. I support good grammar. I am part of the 'Save the Vowels' society. So, for your sanity and mine, type out your words. Thank you.

Click 'Thanks' to give something back! It's FREE!

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to salada2k For This Useful Post:

amanchen (03-16-2008), amit.rajderkar (12-07-2007), bainsworld (11-23-2007), bluejay (11-20-2008), Bokloz (04-08-2009), corpse88 (12-02-2008), eenduiker (11-15-2007), erazer007 (04-30-2008), Korky (01-03-2008), Lapis (08-03-2008), Micky (02-05-2008), Nokiaman (07-05-2008), Oiler (03-26-2010), Panamanian (11-08-2009), picko (09-06-2009), ryscar (04-25-2008), sandeepss (08-28-2009), scminton (12-04-2007), shuttlex (12-02-2008), smcc (04-08-2008), trick202 (05-09-2008), Tronn206 (01-07-2008)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Wow ! I'm glad at least someone out there is willing to do this to find out solution for this "chronic" problem of N95.
    Thanks salada. Really really apreciate it.
    I sent mine to Service centre (malaysia) and they argued there was nothing wrong with the unit. Asked for replacement, they reluctant. Now i'm tempted to do this fix.
    Btw, how did you dismantle the square little thing out of its place ? And i see no wires attached to it ! what happened ?

Thanks
    No problems! I'm glad the info helps

A few days on now and I've still had no problems, earpiece is very clear now.

To answer your question, on the rear of the speaker are two metal pins which make contact with the circuit board when you put the cover back on, therefore, no wires, nothing to cut or re-solder - it's really easy to do this fix! No more distorted earpiece!

Hit that Search button! No results? DONT PANIC. Put an * after your search term, and try again!

I am anti 'Txt spk'. I support good grammar. I am part of the 'Save the Vowels' society. So, for your sanity and mine, type out your words. Thank you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to salada2k For This Useful Post:

mdmay (10-08-2007)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for this salada2k.... but I used a small blunt needle tip through the ear piece grill to gentle probe the holes and no sign of enlarged grill holes... and works fine, like you say... several light to firm presses and all is sounding great again... 30 seconds

Thanks

Moved to "It's Broke!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smilerthecheshirecat View Post
    Thanks for this salada2k.... but I used a small blunt needle tip through the ear piece grill to gentle probe the holes and no sign of enlarged grill holes... and works fine, like you say... several light to firm presses and all is sounding great again... 30 seconds
    Yes, fair point indeed, since I didnt originally know that was infact the problem throughout pulling the front cover off and actually trying it, I went throught that process to get there.

I will edit the post to reflect your comment!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Mine went 2 days ago i wasn't very happy it had a echo, I rang up T mobile uk and got an network business exchange the next day.

Thanks
    -=Thread Stuck!!=-

Thanks
    Thanks for your advice salada2k, spot on!!! This is my first time on this forum & I have had the same problem with my earpiece (tiny Sound). Like 'smilerthecheshirecat' I approached it with a thin needle without taking the cover off and to my amazement the tiny sound had gone. Thanks again

Thanks
    Hi was just reading this thread, I dont have such issue but when I tried to shake the phone, I can hear something is obviously loose, as it made a slight audible rattling sound!!! Why!!! Anyone has the same thing?

Thanks
    OK my bad it was the slider for the lens!! My lens cover was slightly open and therefore the slider was somehow loose and made the noise. There still some very slight sound but that doesnt bother me at all. =)

Thanks

Thank You Thank You!

I went skiing for about a week an on the last day I took a pretty hard fall cracking my camera screen (not on the N95) after awhile I took my 95 out and heard it being really tinny I was really upset until I tried your quick fix and it worked like a charm I could kiss you! But...I wont lol thank you again

Thanks
    A simple Thank You is good enough! ;-)

Glad to help!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,258 Posts
    Not had any problems with mine,until about 20 minutes ago......now i have this <lousy> echo!!!!

Gonna try the small blunt needle type instument through the mesh method,wish me luck?
    Last edited by pseudofinn; 07-15-2007 at 04:51 AM.
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    Its really simple, although I will wish you good luck (good luck!), you're not gunna need it :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salada2k View Post
    Its really simple, although I will wish you good luck (good luck!), you're not gunna need it :-)
    Turned it off and turned it back on again and all is back to normal,weird eh?
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    im on my third n95 now they start off great but after a week the ear piece goes wrong. I allso have the same problem with the main speakers on the side of the phone . when playing music or ringing tone . Any one else had the same problem with the main speakers or are they all crap. not to bother though orange are sending me yet anouther one out. but that will prob be just has crap. that is the only probs i have had with the phone no outhers JUST <lousy> SOUND OH YEH MINE IS MADE IN FINLAND AS WELL
    Last edited by pseudofinn; 07-15-2007 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Language, fellas... huh?

Thanks
    Naughty naughty

Thanks
    thanx for your effort...
    a had the same problem, but fixed mine on simpler way...sounds stupid, but it worked for me...a have actually put earpiece to my mouth, and tryed to suck air out...not blowing inside, but sucking it out...2 months now, and still works :-) go figure.
    now i have problem with loudspeakers...same method does not work, so i am thinking to take it to nokia...

does anybody have the same problem (noise) with n95s loudspeakers?

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brkix For This Useful Post:

bkstagekwk (12-27-2007), chris2403 (05-21-2008), erazer007 (04-30-2008), gadgetman (08-27-2007), megaboost (08-23-2007), Sexyback (04-06-2008)

Thanks
    Well, that's certainly almost an even easier solution still! Good find! I hope all that sucking/phone love didn't hurt your loudspeakers.... Maybe they got jealous and wanted attention? ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brkix View Post
    thanx for your effort...
    a had the same problem, but fixed mine on simpler way...sounds stupid, but it worked for me...a have actually put earpiece to my mouth, and tryed to suck air out...not blowing inside, but sucking it out...2 months now, and still works :-) go figure.
    now i have problem with loudspeakers...same method does not work, so i am thinking to take it to nokia...

does anybody have the same problem (noise) with n95s loudspeakers?
    This is brilliant! I have been looking for a fix for this for a while and was dreading taking it to a repair centre to wait for hours or days for a fix.

I didn't really want to start taking pins or screwdrivers to it either. Then one simple "Suck" and its fixed. You can hear the little "diaphragm" clicking when you suck and suppose it just reseats it. Now crystal clear calling again!

Brilliant!

Thanks
    Maybe I should edit my original post and say to people to read this entire thread before pulling out the T6.... Yeah, I will do that.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I got some debris from my pocket or of coffee from being on the kitchen worktop.

Tried the suck thing with my mouth (Oh Matron!) didn't quite cut it. Cout still hear a sick speaker, and slight rattle.

So when doing the hoovering today, I took metal pipe off, and ran the hand section (without ANY attachments) over the ear piece a few times and things were back to normal.

Can definitely confirm sucking works!

Phew, no trip to the NSC!

Thanks
    I actually bought a new front cover, to repair damage from the one and only time I dropped my N95. The front cover came with a new earpiece speaker, so I thought I would see how long it lasted. About 6 weeks, then the same thing happened all over again. Grr. But, a quick 'suck' sorted me out. Well, no surprises there... ;-)

Thanks
    Another thanks to the OP.

Mine started playing up at the weekend. I was all set to have the thing apart but, read salada2k's thread. Tried the simplest method (blowing in the earpiece) and to my surprise, it's worked a charm.

Cheers bud !

Paul

Thanks
    i was tryng to do the blow thing but the earpiece is still making noice...why???

Thanks
    C3ntinela

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post
    Another thanks to the OP.

Mine started playing up at the weekend. I was all set to have the thing apart but, read salada2k's thread. Tried the simplest method (blowing in the earpiece) and to my surprise, it's worked a charm.

Cheers bud !

Paul
    Don't hesitate to click the button! ;-)

Cheers

33. The Following User Says Thank You to salada2k For This Useful Post:

sforce (10-04-2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c3ntinela View Post
    i was tryng to do the blow thing but the earpiece is still making noice...why???

Thanks
    C3ntinela
    Make sure you are covering the hole with your mouth as best as possible, then actually try 'sucking' rather than blowing...

Give it a few tries and it will work, promise!

Thanks
    while talking on the phone whenever i talk too loud or shout, there is a distorted sound coming from the earphone. Does this solve it??

Thanks
    Yes, it sounds like yours is partially distorted, then happens for a little while then it will be distorted all the time.

This will fix it! :-)

Thanks
    wow guys this will be my first post and i must say thank you guys for posting these solutions up.....i thought i had busted my speaker but i just did the "sucking" method and it worked...........thanks again guys

Thanks
    first post. hi every one..

good fix. works on my N95. but I'm having to do this fix all the time (daily). what id like to no is their a More permanent fix because its getting on my nervs...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dudn95 View Post
    first post. hi every one..

good fix. works on my N95. but I'm having to do this fix all the time (daily). what id like to no is their a More permanent fix because its getting on my nervs...
    Take it to a Nokia service centre then.

Thanks

speaker replacement/fix

Hi all and thank you for this amazing fix. I was wondering if you can buy new speaker on web somewhere? Does anyone know where to get one? Link to site? Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Speaker/earpiece for the N95? try here...

Ah! No... Scrub that... I've just noticed your location... We can't help you... Sorry.

I doubt any supplier will deliver to "nowhere".
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i tired blowing into mine and sucking but no change gonna get the dyson on the job later lol that should have enough suction

Thanks
    You could always ask sp00k? I hear he's better than a dyson! ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Watch it! - Ya DINGO!
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00k View Post
    Watch it! - Ya DINGO!
    roflmao!

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I even tried henry the hoover no luck. Is this distorted sound like the mosquito ringtone at all? thats what i hear and it is really plooping me off. I had the phone like 2 weeks i am insured but its been like that from day one i originally had the Sony Ericsson W910i and took that backi might just go in and take a T-mobile saleswoman(not bloke hostage and demand a new handset. If anyone can confirm the sound or if the high pitched squelch is normal?

About the sp00k thing i hear he dribbles alot so i dont want a wet phone lmao

OI! I heard that!
    Last edited by Sp00k; 11-22-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    I even tried henry the hoover no luck. Is this distorted sound like the mosquito ringtone at all? thats what i hear and it is really plooping me off. I had the phone like 2 weeks i am insured but its been like that from day one i originally had the Sony Ericsson W910i and took that backi might just go in and take a T-mobile saleswoman(not bloke hostage and demand a new handset. If anyone can confirm the sound or if the high pitched squelch is normal?

About the sp00k thing i hear he dribbles alot so i dont want a wet phone lmao

OI! I heard that!
    Aaaaahh, I see by your comments you refer to this noise as a mosquito kind of sound, and the suck/blow job did not work for you.

It's sounding to me like your screen is causing you the problem and not the earpiece.

Would you describe the noise as a high pitched continuous whining sound from your N95?

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salada2k View Post
    Would you describe the noise as a high pitched continuous whining sound from your N95?
    Yes thats the one dude. Im hoping this can be fixed?

Thanks
    Yes, it can be fixed. But you will have to purchase a new LCD screen and install it.

Everything you need to do it can be found here:

http://www.n95users.com/Nokia-N95-Ti...CD-Screen.html

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I may take the phone back if its the screen only had this for 2 weeks *angry* lol

Thanks
    This has just happened to me. Found this guide easily. A quick blow and suck and its sorted. Thanks.

Thanks
    I blew into it really hard and sucked and blew again. And it solved the problem thats been cracking me up for ages!!

Maybe i shouldnt have done it at the office, a lot of people were wondering about my sanity!

THANKS!
    Dave J

Thanks

Works!

Just blew into it until i heard the click, works like a charm. Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Great simple fix. My nephew has just called to say he is having problems with his N95's ear speaker in the same way as many others have been. Awaiting to see him again to show him how to fix it. My Finnish aint great lol.

EDIT - reading that back to myself it sounds kind of wrong if you know what i mean lol

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    if you just read the last 4 posts b4 mine, it seems like a very twisted thread.
    I cannot confirm nor deny anything I say or type to be truthful in any way.
    If you appreciate the help, use the Thanks Button to show it! - sp00k

56. The Following User Says Thank You to jkoppee For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-05-2008)