"Disk Error" N95-1
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

"Disk Error" N95-1

Hi guys,

Working through a problem, and almost exhausted all ideas, so thought I would ask here and see if anyone can shead some light on the matter.

Situation: I have a N95-1 and a Sandisk Mirco SD 8GB (the latter brought from play.com) Both are less than a month old.

Problem: After about a week of working, taking pictures, storing music and MP4's I have started getting a "Disk Error" whenever my phone trys to write onto the card. I cannot think of anything I have done to cause this random problem, no knocks or dodgy applications. It can still read the data that is on there, but cannot format or write onto the card!

What I have tried: I have updated the firmware on the phone to the latest version - twice. I have cleaned both phone slot and card (I have a lot of photography equipment, so I am very careful and only use appropriate equipment to do this). The card can be read and writen on with my PC, so I formatted it there. But, still no joy...

Is there anything else I could do? Which component sounds at fault? I do not have access to another MircoSD card to test it against my current one. Help!

Is there a place you know of that you can post your N95 to and get it tested/fixed? I live in the UK.

Many thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I had a problem like this once.
    So i tried formatting the card with my laptop and that didnt work.
    But then i formatted the card using the phone itself and all was sweet after that.
    So maybe you should save all your content from the card onto the PC and then put the card back in the phone and format it.
    Mendozaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!

NokiaUsers.net

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    If you haven't already done so, I'd try smearing a TINY amount of Switch-Cleaner onto the card contacts and inserting & re-inserting it in the phone a few times, in the hope that the slot contacts may have got grease on them.
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

Thanks
    Thanks for the swift responses guys

Nope, my phone wont even let me format the card!

I am hoping the card is at fault here. I have been on the phone to play.com and they seemed easy going about sending it back to be replaced. So fingers crossed that is the issue... I will let you all know, as a reference for people that have this problem in future.

If the problem persists.... then oh dear, that probably means the phone is at fault, and I am with the carphone warehouse, and I nothing good to say about the customer service...

Good idea about the switch cleaner, I will keep that as a plan B for now though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 929 Posts
    Yep, keep us informed please, It'll be useful for future reference...

Incidentally, even though you are 'with' CW, unless you want them to replace it with a new one, you don't HAVE to return to them for repair... Providing the repair work is carried-out by an authorised Nokia repair centre, your warranty will remain in force.
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

Thanks
    UPDATE:

As promised, I will now give you the conclusion to the entire problem, almost 2 months on!

I sent the memory card back to play.com and got a replacement, the problem continued, so it was deffinatly the handset.

I double checked I had the latest fireware, still the same problem. So I took it to the carphone warehouse, they sent it away for 3 weeks!

When it returned the repair sheet simply said "updated to latest software" agghhh!!! I had already done that, it takes less than 3mins to do, what had they done for 3 weeks? Yes... the problem was still there. So I had a moan, and they agreed to completely replace the handset as it was a random hardware problem, at no fault of my own.

The replacement handset is a referbished one, I am not really happy with this, but I am now finally back in the N-95 club!

- This all makes bleak reading to someone who is currently experiencing the same problem as me, I wish it had been less painful. I am using all my will power not to have a rant about the staff at the carphone warehouse... A real disorganised bunch of doughnuts, and quite rude at times is all I'll say...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,258 Posts
    I'd send it back again mate,you bought a brand new N95 that was faulty and they then send you a refurb... that mate.....send it right back and say you want like for like,i did this with o2 and i got a brand new one in the end.
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grayburn For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-14-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 814 Posts
    why are these phone companies replacing your phones with refurbished ones? aren't you suppose to get another new handset because you paid for it! it's not fair to get a refurbished as a replacement since your original phone was new. i'm just glad i don't get these problems but if i did, i would really make a complaint and take it to court.... or is this really how it is in UK?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dayene For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-14-2008)

Thanks
    By law they should tell you that they are sending you a refurb but i didn't,3 times!
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    but aren't they not suppose to send you a refurb as a replacement since in the first place you paid for a brand new phone? you probably got it for free because of the contract but it's part of the payment in a way.... if i paid for a brand new phone and it was faulty, i wouldn't want to get a refurbished one as a replacement. sorry, this just somehow bothers me.

Thanks
    I wouldn't either thats why i kicked up such a fuss and got what i wanted in the end.

Thanks
    3 times, huh? i would've been screaming and @#$%#! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Agree with both G and dayene, bang out of order giving you a refurb handset. As they said, get it sent back, and demand a new handset fella.

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    Yeh, it really sucks.

I believe I should have be given a new handset, as I barely got to use my phone originally. But the reality of it is, I have driven into town 4 times already and waited almost 2 months to get to this stage, paying a traiff for somthing I wasnt using. If I did persist and did get a new handset I would never be compensated for all the time, effort and fitting it in with my work commitments...

The system doesnt work :-( And while principles are worth fighting for, I just ran out of steam. I had a very close inspection of the referb handset and checked its functionality, it looked fine. But it deffinatly leaves a sour taste in your mouth, so to speak.

Thanks
    Just to put my neb in, I read that a 'refubished' mobile is not always 'not new'. Sometimes its just old stock or something. Cant remember what I read actually, but it was something to effect.

Or is that what they just tell you?

How do you know its refurbished anyway?
    Newbies, please don't PM me unless you have a Nokia query

Thanks
    By Law in the UK if something is faulty and does not do the job it is meant to it is the retailers responsibility (not the manufacturer) to repair OR replace the item. It does not say the replacement, if they offer you one , has to be new.

Crap, unfair and bad customer service,yes. Illlegal, no.

See here to wade through your UK rights.

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !