First impressions of Nokia's Linux-mobile
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,091 Posts

Thumbs up First impressions of Nokia's Linux-mobile

Our phone guru Linus Brohult from the magasin mobil in Sweden
    get his first impressions of the N900

First impressions of Nokia's Linux-mobile
    2009-09-01 19:30 [Straight from the Nokia World conference in Stuttgart]

N900 is Nokia's first mobile phone with Linux. . And there is a real power phone that Nokia is now squeezing out of them.
    Multimedia, utility functions, good camera and a solid keyboard - N900 to clear most of it.
    The first impression when I try it is that Nokia found the right - for mobile users who want an extra telephone knowledgeable.

After trying the new Nokia phone for a while, I can state that Nokia has invested widely in its new Linux mobile.
    Film, photography and music accompanied by utility functions that the Office Applications.

For a catalog of programs on your phone you can download hundreds of additional applications and games
    that are downloaded from Nokia's software repository for Linux cell phones (maemo.org.)
    Among other things, I try to download a torrent program (transmission) and a few games.
    So far, scheduling perhaps scantily compared, for example what is available to iPhone and Android handsets.
    Android is the way, an interesting comparison. Although Android is certainly a mobile system based on Linux.
    The world's largest mobile phone manufacturer Nokia has chosen little of their own way with their Linux systems Maemo, which sits in the N900.

The similarities between Google's Android and how Nokia's Linux system (Maeomo) function is in fact great.
    The N900 has it, just like in Android, a number of start-up screens that you can scroll between by dragging your finger across the screen.
    On the home screen can be placed such as widgets and shortcuts to Web pages and applications.

You can also upload their "favorite contacts" with the image, and then displays a small green dot at the contact if the person is online
    and can be contacted through any IM client, such as Google Talk or Skype.
    Sweden is one of the first countries where Nokia's new mobile monster N900 goes on sale in October.
    One of the strengths of the Swedes is that N900 has a keyboard with separate keys for the Å, Ä and Ö.

Swedish keyboard

The keyboard is one of the strengths of the N900. The first is key, deep well, better than, say, Nokia's previous top model N97.
    A full Swedish keyboard is missing such as the Nokia N97 current top model.
    There must suspend function key and pressing on other bokstävsknappar to obtain Å Ä Ö.
    N900 instead has a full keyboard with Swedish Å Ä Ö, on the unit I tried (and on the units to be sold in Canada).

N900 has a really easy way to switch between programs and functions that it has started.
    Clicking on a program changer in the top left corner comes all the programs that are running in a grid of small screen images on the screen.

By clicking in the corners of the screen again, the main menu up. Media Player is another of the features I tried (so far only briefly).
    The media player must first choose from music, video, Internet radio and "shuffle all songs".

Just the unit I tested had some feature films in avi format on your phone's memory,
    and here we also saw strength in the high-resolution screen that sat in the Nokia N900.
    The size of the screen is 3.5 inches, which means that it is exactly the same as for example the screen of the iPhone.
    But the number of pixels is more than twice as many than the iPhone screen is, and it makes you get a much sharper screen N900.

To make the N900 one picks up the number keys on the screen. Tab with the address book has collected letters of the alphabet to the right of the screen,
    and click the instance S ports simply among the contacts whose name start with S.
    Clicking on a person in the phone book, you can choose to make a normal call or a call for example via Skype or Google Talk
    (depending on which IP telephony applications that you installed on your phone).

Among the programs listed in the phone from the start include mobile versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
    The phone has a lot of power under the shell becomes clear when you play a new 3D version of the game Bounce in your phone.
    Better browsers

The browser feels much better than sitting in Nokia's previous smartphones.
    B Among other works special features on Web pages (ajax, flash, etc.) just like a regular computer.
    But above all, it feels easier to surf around the pages, zooming with the phone volume buttons or by rotating your finger on the screen.

The camera is a 5-megapixel camera that I have not sat on a larger sample,
    but Nokia's product manager Grant McBeath said that the image sensor in N900 is a bit better model than the image sensor located in the current Nokia N97.
    We will return later this week with Web TV on N900, and eventually with a real test, when we got to test your phone for a long time.

Operating System: Maemo 5 (Linux based)
    Dimensions: 110.9 x59, 8x18 mm
    Weight: 181 grams
    Memory: 32 GB built-in, support for microSD cards up to 16GB
    Screen :3,5-inch touch screen, 800x480 pixels
    Camera: 5 megapixel, autofocus, video recording at 800x480 pixels, 25 fps
    Talk time: 5 hours
    Standby time: 2-4 days
    Others: WLAN 802.11b / g, Bluetooth, FM Transmitter, A-GPS, 3.5mm jack
    In store: Fourth quarter 2009
    Price: 6000 SEK Swedish kronor

From Google Translate
    Last edited by Tommie; 09-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommie For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (09-01-2009), Recall (09-01-2009), Sp00k (09-01-2009), step11angelo (09-03-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Great! Your impression look like good. I trust you. This N900 is a great phone!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah View Post
    Great! Your impression look like good. I trust you. This N900 is a great phone!
    Well it's not my impression it's Linus Brohult from the magasin mobil in Sweden
    who get his first impressions of the N900 , but one real nice thing.
    I have follow his reviews for a long time and I can guarantee he is not a
    Nokia fan (spOOk) , maybee he be one now

Yes it look promising

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommie For This Useful Post:

Sp00k (09-01-2009)

Thanks
    I like when he say > The size of the screen is 3.5 inches,
    which means that it is exactly the same as for example the screen of the iPhone.
    But the number of pixels is more than twice as many than the iPhone screen is, and it makes you get a much sharper screen N900.

but I wonder how long the bat life go in full use when it say 2-4 days in standby time?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Very low talktime! Only 5hrs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Recall View Post
    Very low talktime! Only 5hrs?
    Well for me it's enough but not for my girl

Thanks
    Here the Swedish mobil site have a little video from what they say above
    true Allabout Symbian

The graphics are a bit more realistic than on Boing Voyage,
    probably due to the N900's more powerful CPU and built-in graphics processor.
    Here the link
    Ovi Gaming - First glimpse of hardware-accelerated Bounce for the Nokia N900

They speak in Swedish but I hope you get the point .

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    8 similar threads about the N900? Why don't one of the mods just combine the whole lot into one??

On another note, I think the N900 could turn out to be a great phone but Nokia need to ensure it is built properly and isn't another N97...

Thanks
    You right this was the first tread ,but 8 treads it's not to much when they show a new OS ,
    and over 100 of the N97 and I belive it be over 20 of the i8910 why not have them into one ?

but you are more right about the another note !
    Last edited by Tommie; 09-06-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: on second thoughts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommie For This Useful Post:

Moz (09-06-2009)

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nirave View Post
    8 similar threads about the N900? Why don't one of the mods just combine the whole lot into one??

On another note, I think the N900 could turn out to be a great phone but Nokia need to ensure it is built properly and isn't another N97...
    Because there are many aspects of the N900 which should be discussed separately. Combining them all into one N900 thread would result in some points getting lost.

As it stands, N900 fits nicely into N Series Discussion, there are no plans to merge all the threads into one, unless a thread is duplicated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Moz For This Useful Post:

Tommie (09-06-2009)

Thanks
    Thanks IJM

Quote Originally Posted by nirave View Post
    I think the N900 could turn out to be a great phone but Nokia need to ensure it is built properly and isn't another N97...
    You absolutely correct ! Thats one of the things they need to show
    and the more info of the N900 the better , and not only 1 tread.