5800 Display Problem
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

5800 Display Problem

Does anyone of you have a display on your 5800?

sliding the side switch several times and you'll get the normal screen

this happens for no apparent reason.. when i screencapture it, while the screen is distorted, th saved image comes out normal..

i have to slide the slider 'lock-unlock-lock-unlock' several times before the screen gets back to normal. after a few moments of using it, it will bcome distorted again.

at first, i thought, what the heck.. mst b software, because when i swich off the phone, surprisingly the nokia logo, homescreen everything comes back to normal.

several times of soft reset, hard reset, re-install of my v21 firmware proofs pointless.

finlly, nokia care centres, here i come.

they took 1 look at the phone, and said.. "give me your name and handphone number. we are currently out of stock for the display. we will contact you once the stock comes in. will take about 1 hour to change the display"

COOL.. for once, i do not need to argue with nokia care representative.

next, i ask, is this a common problem? his reply: no. then i ask:then why is the display out of stock? his reply: a good question.

i was like.. WTF?

anyhow.. i also asked them about the 'loose cover issue near the power button' problem, his reply is, nokia designed it that way because the screen has to 'bounce' to absorb the shock when u input, because unlike the iphone, this u need to apply pressure. (huh, i dont apply pressure to type using my 5800.. i only apply prssure to press the 'white' button only. )

he said he could screw it tight as well.. once the new display comes.

this is extremely weird.. but hack, im getting a free rectification and for once, without having to argue with nokia care centres.

anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by vash_h; 06-06-2009 at 12:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vash_h View Post
    Lack of 5800 issues - reliable phone?
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    finally sent my phone in for repairs.. in a nokia authorised care centre (nokia care centre doesnt have the lcd in stock) but the authorised care centre does..

it takes nokia care centre 2 hours to fix in the lcd, but authorised care centre 1 day to fix the lcd.. interesting.. bt was given a free loan phone to use.. so no complaints.. they gave me the 3310.. njoying snake2.. LOL.. miss that game..

i also made a complaint on the loose cover.. and their reply is that this is a common problem, and will change a cover for me.. WOW! at least this centre is honest and willing to do their job.. compare with nokia care centre which claims that nokia designed the phone in that way, so the 'lcd' will bounce, to absorb the force of your finger, to prevent damage to lcd.. which is a whole load of crap, IMHO..
    Last edited by vash_h; 06-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    POSSIBLE FIX?

Hi folks,

I've been experiencing the same problem with the screen since uninstalling HandyShell about a week ago. Like the rest of you, I've tried doing the factory reset, the firmware update, etc, but none of those worked. However, I have found that the following have eliminated the problem from my phone, at least temporarily:

1. Install a very simple theme. This is the one I'm using
    2. Disable 'Theme effects' by going to the Options under: Settings->Personal->Themes->General

I know nothing about how these themes are rendered on the phone, but it appears that the 'Theme effects' might be contributing to the problem.

Dave

Thanks
    lol.. perhaps u are right.. the problem first came to light after i installed the 'i light theme..'

i did what u mentioned as well, change to a simplier theme (in fact i changed to the original theme that came with the phone). it was solved, temporarily. wasnt long b4 it resurfaced, with a vengence.

best bet is to bring it back to nokia care..

oh.. interesting to add, is the nokia care i went to, in malaysia, is called nokia 'competent' centre.. LOL

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    This is definitely a hardware problem as I've had it with both my 5800s. Brought both to a NokiaCare Center and both phones were replaced with new ones. It's better to bring your phone in immediately after you experience the problem than try other methods like reinstalling your firmware or using a simpler theme. It may give a temporary fix to your problem, but in the long run, the problem will come back, and it would be too bad if it does so just right after your warranty expires.

Gaz
    Thanks
    It is very likely to be a faulty LCD.

I replaced the lcd of a 5800 of another members 5800 that was acting in a similar fashion and the problem was sorted.

If you can't get to a local NSC , PM myself or Tom and one of us should be able to sort it for you .

Thanks
    Mine's been at my local NCC since Tuesday being repaired with the above fault. I'm using my wife's 6500 slide, and it feels like I've had my fingers cut off!! I'm still pressing on the screen instead of the softbuttons!!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    what happend to the n96?? hope you get your 5800 back soon

Thanks
    wow.. y is it taking so long? took mine 1 day to get it fixed.. and they formatted my phone.. i know because i get the 'certificate error' when i try to install anything.. fixed with the good ol' *#7370# which is exactly what happen when i first received my phone..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    what happend to the n96?? hope you get your 5800 back soon
    I traded it for a Panasonic Viera 32" LCD HD ready tv.

The NSC I sent it to serves quite a large area and also service other brands, so they said they had over 50 mobiles in for repair. I thought it'd take a while when I was ringing the bell for 10 minutes before someone came out to serve me. They were THAT busy. They could well do employing a receptionist!!

I'm gonna call today and get a progress report, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    his reply is, nokia designed it that way because the screen has to 'bounce' to absorb the shock when u input, because unlike the iphone, this u need to apply pressure. (huh, i dont apply pressure to type using my 5800.. i only apply prssure to press the 'white' button only. )

above Quote made me LOL cowboys

Nokia never publicly admit a problem but I know for a fact Nokia give a List
    of known problems to be repaired under warranty to it's care points
    the problem with the case being open at one corner is on this list along with the solution
    on how the engineer is to deal with it, for this problem the case should be replaced
    under warranty.

when i got mine done at a care point this is what they told me

Thanks
    they didnt change the case for me.. they say no problem w the casing and it was designed in such a way.. LOL.. sigh..

at least its not giving me a problem..

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    hmm if it was designed to be that way why have Nokia changed it i would be asking them

i found it really annoying myself i could see the back light via the gap
    i would try taking to a Nokia shop or another care point see what they say

Gaz
    Thanks
    they have not changed the case !

It is just that due to the nature of the plastic some may not be formed perfectly and whats matches up on one handset will not match up on another .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

tom_moran (06-23-2009)

Nokia Engineer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdude View Post
    above Quote made me LOL cowboys

Nokia never publicly admit a problem but I know for a fact Nokia give a List
    of known problems to be repaired under warranty to it's care points
    the problem with the case being open at one corner is on this list along with the solution
    on how the engineer is to deal with it, for this problem the case should be replaced
    under warranty.

when i got mine done at a care point this is what they told me
    we dont actually get a list but we are notified of SOME known faults when they are found to be without a shadow of a doubt a warranty issue and there are a certain number of them reported.
    Got a broken nokia? [url]www.repairmynokia.co.uk[/url]

A wise man once said: Don't waste your time worrying about the trivial,keep it real,be happy,'cause tomorrow,you just might choke on a small inconsequential piece of fruit

Thanks
    Just a quick update. I called on Monday afternoon and was told my phone was 4th in the que.
    I rang the next morning, after a night shift, to be told it was on the bench. Great I thought, I'll get up early and pick it up. My wife advised me to call first, but of course my phone will be done, so I just went in.
    When I got there they told me it needed a new screen and the parts had been ordered. No **** sherlock, just looking at it, and knowing 5800s occasionally suffered from this problem, even I knew it'd need a new screen, without it just been sat there for a week!! They couldn't say how long it'd take for the screen to arrive.
    So let me get this right: it'd taken them a week JUST TO LOOK AT MY PHONE! I told them in no uncertain terms how unhappy I was. I mean, I could've taken it to the Vodafone store and got it back quicker, and a courtesy handset too.. I could've got an exchange unit the NEXT DAY!

To anyone who lives in Northern Lincolnshire, don't take your phone to be repaired at Grimsby's NSC, unless you're prepared to wait 7 days before they'll even look at the **** thing.
    Last edited by ramjam69; 06-24-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    well, I decided to get an exchange handset from Vodafone. According to my local NSC, Nokia in the UK haven't got any screens and didn't know when they were likely to get any. I'd had enough of being without my 5800, so I've just had the exchange handset delivered.

Nokia Engineer
    Thanks
    oh dear, ive got 10 here. not sure what stock central have though!
    Got a broken nokia? [url]www.repairmynokia.co.uk[/url]

A wise man once said: Don't waste your time worrying about the trivial,keep it real,be happy,'cause tomorrow,you just might choke on a small inconsequential piece of fruit

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tom_moran For This Useful Post:

ramjam69 (06-26-2009)

Thanks
    Does anyone of you have a display on your 5800?

sliding the side switch several times and you'll get the normal screen

this happens for no apparent reason.. when i screencapture it, while the screen is distorted, th saved image comes out normal..

i have to slide the slider 'lock-unlock-lock-unlock' several times before the screen gets back to normal. after a few moments of using it, it will bcome distorted again.

at first, i thought, what the heck.. mst b software, because when i swich off the phone, surprisingly the nokia logo, homescreen everything comes back to normal.

several times of soft reset, hard reset, re-install of my v21 firmware proofs pointless.

finlly, nokia care centres, here i come.

they took 1 look at the phone, and said.. "give me your name and handphone number. we are currently out of stock for the display. we will contact you once the stock comes in. will take about 1 hour to change the display"

COOL.. for once, i do not need to argue with nokia care representative.

next, i ask, is this a common problem? his reply: no. then i ask:then why is the display out of stock? his reply: a good question.

i was like.. WTF?

anyhow.. i also asked them about the 'loose cover issue near the power button' problem, his reply is, nokia designed it that way because the screen has to 'bounce' to absorb the shock when u input, because unlike the iphone, this u need to apply pressure. (huh, i dont apply pressure to type using my 5800.. i only apply prssure to press the 'white' button only. )

he said he could screw it tight as well.. once the new display comes.

this is extremely weird.. but hack, im getting a free rectification and for once, without having to argue with nokia care centres.

yes i have same problem with my 5800 phone ,so what next?
    please help me how to resolve ?

Gaz
    Thanks
    i'm waiting for another 10 which are quite desperately needed

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shailesh kalantre View Post
    yes i have same problem with my 5800 phone ,so what next?
    please help me how to resolve ?
    drop by nokia care.. they will rectify it free of charge..

Thanks

Temporary Solution - White Screen

Either make it a background or gallery shortcut (if you really want a custom background.)

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Fayez, there's not much point in posting on 3 year old threads. I've approved your post since I treat it as an attempt at being funny. Please ensure your future contributions to the forum have a greater value.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

Thanks
    This hardware problem ,be sure lcd ic and change it after sure from lcd screen

Thanks
    Hey I have the same problem, is this LCD or Software problem? I did two time flash and still have the problem ,no change, please help me....

Thanks
    It's much more likely to be a hardware problem after so many years.