Changing Product Code / Installing Other Languages
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Changing Product Code / Installing Other Languages

I've managed to figure out how to change languages on the N8. I don't want to call it changing the product code, because it really isn't, it's basically installing the firmware of your choice containing the language of your choice onto the phone, without actually changing the product code at all. And no, you don't have to pay sites for firmware packages.

Edit: So this is going to be a pretty long and arduous process. Basically, we install Phoenix, a firmware downloader called NaviFirm, then we download the specific firmware you want, then flash the phone and install the firmware.

So let's get started.

You're gong to need two files,
    Navifirm - http://rapidshare.com/files/42736334...rm-0.1-bin.zip
    Phoenix - http://rapidshare.com/files/42736644....004.41526.rar

Note: If anyone needs these to be uploaded to a different file service, feel free to tell me in the thread.

**IMPORTANT** Note: Backup your files! Just to be safe, assume that everything on the phone will be WIPED. Make sure your phone is sufficiently charged!

Note: I ran this on a Windows 7 x64 machine so I don't think anyone should have any problems.

1) Install Phoenix, and while the installation is running, load up Navifirm, and find Nokia N8 (RM-596) in the left hand column. It takes a while to load the columns on the right, so be patient. Then click 11.12, then find the firmware variant you're looking for. For me, this was Taiwan Dark Grey (it shouldn't matter which color you use, but pick your own color just to be safe, I think it just changes the starting theme). Then click "all" and then click "download from FiRe". Put the files in any folder for now, we'll move them later.

Screenshot 1

Note: For anyone who needs this information, the following Chinese variants have the following languages:

Taiwan - Chinese Simplified (Pinyin), Chinese Traditional (Zhuyin), English
    Hong Kong - Taiwan Simplified (Pinyin), Chinese Traditional (HK), English
    Singapore - Chinese Simplified (Pinyin), Malay, Indonesian, English

I can also confirm that the Taiwanese and Hong Kong firmwares read Japanese just fine (although NOT Korean). The China PRC firmware might disable WIFI, so try to avoid it, although I'm not 100% sure about this.

2) After you install Phoenix, navigate to "Phoenix\Products\". Then make a folder called "RM-596". Move the firmware files into this folder.

3) Launch Phoenix. Click File -> Scan Product. You should see the red light in the bottom right corner blinking. After it's finished, the firmware version should show up on the bottom bar, it should say RM-596. Then click Flashing -> Firmware Update. In the "Product Code" line, click the "..." button, a new dialog box should pop up and you should see the firmware that you just downloaded. Select it, then click okay.

4) Now, click "Refurbish" towards the bottom. Phoenix should start flashing the firmware onto your phone.

Screenshot 2

5) Once it's finished, let the phone load. Once your computer detects it again, It should be safe to unplug.

**IMPORTANT** 6) First thing to do is to SET THE DEFAULT LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH. You can do this in Settings -> Phone -> Language. We must do this BEFORE you download the OVI Store App, otherwise you will get jumbled characters in OVI Store! After you download the OVI Store with the default language as English, you can change the phone back to the language you want to operate in.

7) After everything is done, you should be good to go!

Note: Couple things I found that hacks me off. NO SMART DIALING IN FIRMWARES WITH CHINESE. In the US firmware, I could click on Call, and start inputting a contact's name in T-9, this should search for the contact for me to call or message. HOWEVER this feature is NOT availiable in firmwares with the Chinese language, which is COMPLETE bullsh*t. Seriously, this can be so easily implemented with Pinyin that it's laughable Nokia has not yet implemented this universally on Symbian^3. This function came out years ago with the E-Series, and Nokia still hasn't ported it to Chinese firmwares. Bullsh*t.

Note: This does NOT change the product code, it only installs a fresh firmware onto the device, allowing you to use other languages. So when an update comes out, we may need to re-do this process.

With that being said, I hope this guide has been helpful. Feel free to ask questions in this thread for troubleshooting, I'll try my best to help.
    Last edited by Moz; 11-18-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: removed swearing

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to oblivinated For This Useful Post:

andykn (10-31-2010), cambo (10-29-2010), doda (11-17-2010), doktorzee (04-18-2011), doshunnN85 (07-09-2011), dpaddon (01-30-2012), dynomot (11-01-2010), ecnokia (11-01-2010), fitcious (10-26-2010), james_uk9 (10-27-2010), marcelp1 (02-12-2011), Micky (01-26-2011), MilgeS (01-13-2011), Moz (11-18-2010), MrNice (11-20-2010), nanolux (12-28-2010), nateu96 (01-21-2011), NAVVARR (05-15-2011), niiksa (12-18-2010), not_sure (02-24-2011), Quist (10-28-2010), speccy (03-22-2011), think_panther (09-16-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    definitely looking forward to this.

Thanks
    Guide is up, any questions are welcomed.

N8
    Thanks
    Thanks, I may need this as I'm getting one from the US and might feel the need for Arabic once in a while.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    When I try to install the version of Phoenix you've posted, McAfee quaranteens one of the files as a trojan and it won't install.

Didn't you mention something about a trojan in the other thread?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quist View Post
    When I try to install the version of Phoenix you've posted, McAfee quaranteens one of the files as a trojan and it won't install.

Didn't you mention something about a trojan in the other thread?
    More info. Apparently Phoenix installs, but it tells me to install a Nokia dongle and restart it.

The file that is not getting installed from the posted package is fixer.exe, which from the Phoenix behaviour is a circumvention of the dongle (?).

Either way, McAfee is patterning it as the Generic.dx!tnu trojan with information here:
    Generic.dx!tnu | Virus Profile & Definition | McAfee Inc.

Did you get the dongle warning or the trojan warning when you installed? Did you disable your virus scanner?

Thanks
    Nope I'm running Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security and I didn't get a virus warning. If you're willing, you can disable McAfee while doing the process. The "trojan" should just be the drivers that emulate the dongle, which would be why your installation requires you to insert a dongle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 2,327 Posts
    I think this thread is worth being stickied.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    neither of these files are available. anyone know where i can get them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    neither of these files are available. anyone know where i can get them?
    Try these:

http://rapidshare.com/files/42773844...firm_V_0.3.exe

http://rapidshare.com/files/42774139....004.41526.rar
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

cambo (10-29-2010), Moz (08-19-2011), niiksa (12-18-2010)

Thanks
    thanks for the help. switched to taiwan and i now have my transmitter

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Hi guys! I was able to flash my Nokia N8 using Phoenix. Everything went very smooth! What "oblivinated", has indicated is the correct and I can confirm that. Oblivinated, I have a question for you: when I looked at the available product codes/firmware, using "navifirm", I saw that there were 2 different firmware using same product code and what was strange is that one selection "RUSSIAN DG (0598981)"has 9 files and the other one "russian_dg (0598981)" had 6. My USA firmware, had 7 flash files, so I downloaded the one that had 9 files and placed them into the folder for phoenix. I have not seen same product codes with different files. Just before the actual flash begun, phoenix notified me, that an optional file, is missing, but the file name it gave me, doesn't even exist in the factory installed firmware. So I did go ahead and flashed the phone!

Thanks
    My fisrt post so hi nokiausers
    Wishing to change my n8 to singapore language like i did rebrand on n95-8gb and E63 (changing product code)
    reinstalled pheonix several times but keep getting this message ...
    "Error loading component
    HRESULT 0x80040154 (-2147221164)
    This means: Class Not Registered"
    can anyone give me help here ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aci View Post
    Hi guys! I was able to flash my Nokia N8 using Phoenix. Everything went very smooth! What "oblivinated", has indicated is the correct and I can confirm that. Oblivinated, I have a question for you: when I looked at the available product codes/firmware, using "navifirm", I saw that there were 2 different firmware using same product code and what was strange is that one selection "RUSSIAN DG (0598981)"has 9 files and the other one "russian_dg (0598981)" had 6. My USA firmware, had 7 flash files, so I downloaded the one that had 9 files and placed them into the folder for phoenix. I have not seen same product codes with different files. Just before the actual flash begun, phoenix notified me, that an optional file, is missing, but the file name it gave me, doesn't even exist in the factory installed firmware. So I did go ahead and flashed the phone!
    mine came up with the same message but there are no problems so i think we ok

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I was looking for the portuguese from portugal, can anyone check if it comes on the usa n8?

thanks in advance

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, oblivinated. I'm actually just getting ready to flash a US bought version of the N8 in case my Swedish one dies on me again. Only just today, I was filming an air show and the freakin thing rebooted on me, not saving the video, so I may just be buying a US version after all.

With this method, I'll be able to do with it what I want. Cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklife View Post
    My fisrt post so hi nokiausers
    Wishing to change my n8 to singapore language like i did rebrand on n95-8gb and E63 (changing product code)
    reinstalled pheonix several times but keep getting this message ...
    "Error loading component
    This means: Class Not Registered"
    can anyone give me help here ?
    Ignored above and run Pheonix runs ok. when installing FW for singapore got another error message..
    "An optional file is missing.The file is: RM596_030_000_M019_16G.fpsx
    Would you like to continue the flashing?"
    Ignored this also , now have the chinese fonts i needed and can confirm that wifi works with this also.

A big thank you to oblivinated

Thanks
    Hi ,
    Can I both read and input chinese if my N8 got flashed? Thank you for help!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    In Navifirm, for each variant, there are two sets of files listed. One is listed in all uppercase letters (caps) and the other is listed in all lowercase letters.

Which one should one choose and what's the difference? The latter has only six files in most cases and the former has nine. Of the six files, three are identical to ones in the caps set, while three are similar, but have codes ending in 004 instead of 002.

I wonder if the CAPS sets are the full firmware, while the lowercase sets are updated files that can be flashed on top of a fully functional set, but I may be wrong.

What do you think?

Thanks
    ecnokia ,if you flashed with a chinese FW then go to your phone settings and change the writing language ,or while texting etc you can change input method,writing language.
    can you read chinese?if only learner i would not change the phone language as you will only have the chinese charxacters to navigate around your phone.

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    In Navifirm, for each variant, there are two sets of files listed. One is listed in all uppercase letters (caps) and the other is listed in all lowercase letters.

Which one should one choose and what's the difference? The latter has only six files in most cases and the former has nine. Of the six files, three are identical to ones in the caps set, while three are similar, but have codes ending in 004 instead of 002.

I wonder if the CAPS sets are the full firmware, while the lowercase sets are updated files that can be flashed on top of a fully functional set, but I may be wrong.

What do you think?
    I had the same question, but looks like the one that has nice is kind of generic firmware. I have flashed firmware from both 9 and 6 files, didn't see any difference and ignored any "missing file" warning. Every time I use phoenix to download data package(firmware) instead of navifirm and enter the product code, looks like phoenix always gets the one with 6 files, not 9.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mklife View Post
    ecnokia ,if you flashed with a chinese FW then go to your phone settings and change the writing language ,or while texting etc you can change input method,writing language.
    can you read chinese?if only learner i would not change the phone language as you will only have the chinese charxacters to navigate around your phone.
    Hi mklife,
    Thank you for reply.
    I bought my N8 from Ebay and the writing languages of my N8 are --Englaish, French,Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch, I dont know what the region (version) is it. I came from Hong Kong, I can read write Chinese, English and some Japanese. OMG, my new N8 cannot read chinese and japanese messages / emails and also cannot read articles from chinese and japanese website by its default browser. I almost wanted to dumb (haha;;;means sell ) it. Last night I downloaded the OPERA MOBILE 10 from OVI store, so excited, I can browse chinese and japanese language websites, it solves my half problem. I am still cannot read chinese and japanese messages/emails and of couse cannot input chinese and japanese texts.

Looking forward to see some official apps that can help input chinese and japanese.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    So I finally took the plunge. After my phone began restarting itself again, I gave up and bought a new one from the States and used this method to change the firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Did anybody else get a warning about bad NAND sectors when they flashed?

I got one and am not sure if there's anything I can do about it or even if it's a real problem. If it's anything like bad sectors on a harddrive it may or may not be an issue depending on the extent of the problem - worst case scenario it will eventually die, best case scenario I won't notice anything.

Haven't noticed anything yet and can't return it on warranty saying "yeah, I flashed a different rom and got this warning" as flashing in itself voids the warranty.

Did I get another bad phone or don't I need to worry about this?

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Did anybody else get a warning about bad NAND sectors when they flashed?

I got one and am not sure if there's anything I can do about it or even if it's a real problem. If it's anything like bad sectors on a harddrive it may or may not be an issue depending on the extent of the problem - worst case scenario it will eventually die, best case scenario I won't notice anything.

Haven't noticed anything yet and can't return it on warranty saying "yeah, I flashed a different rom and got this warning" as flashing in itself voids the warranty.

Did I get another bad phone or don't I need to worry about this?
    Hi Don't worry I guess, because I have flashed my phone 3 times already with different firmware, and also got the same "bad sector". I don't think it is a problem, because everything works. The only thing I have noticed is that, when I first got the phone with original firmware, the free memory on drive C was about 135MB, which is available for the user. After I have reflashed the unit, I got 179MB free. Can you check yours, it is in file manager, under office or tools.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    OH? Thanks for this. I will definitely use this on my sis's Nokia N97 mini's arabic version so I can install an ENGLISH (netherland [blame Nokia N900's description on the keyboard]) keyboard.

I will also use this on my Nokia N8 for other languages. Hopefully I can find a fimrware variant that can read Japanese characters. Perhaps the Indonesian one with Chinese characters.

Thank you so much

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I've already installed some things, but have 169 mb free. I think the difference is in the sample media files that must be loaded in the optional file we're all getting the warning about. The media like that may be licensed and not available for installation anywhere but the factory. Probably see the same thing if you just hardreset from the original factory rom.

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I've already installed some things, but have 169 mb free. I think the difference is in the sample media files that must be loaded in the optional file we're all getting the warning about. The media like that may be licensed and not available for installation anywhere but the factory. Probably see the same thing if you just hardreset from the original factory rom.
    Possible! I am wondering how to get, sample files that come preloaded?! I have reset the unit, reflashed, with the original firmware, but it just isn't there and that optional file, which is missing is no where to be found. Also, I am always thinking, why did nokia make the same product code for the same country, one with being 9 files and another 6....The one that has 6 files, does not have "uda" file and when I flash my phone with 6-file firmware, then I get 2 files missing, one is that probably sample videos/photos and the other on is "uda..."

Nokia User
    Thanks
    OH? Ok. I will not change my N8's firmware. It seems there are problems occuring. Thanks for the heads up guys. I guess, Im stuck with English and Pilipino for now. T_T

I want Japanese characters via Chinese firmware (Taiwan/Indonesian).

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Skylock View Post
    OH? Ok. I will not change my N8's firmware. It seems there are problems occuring. Thanks for the heads up guys. I guess, Im stuck with English and Pilipino for now. T_T

I want Japanese characters via Chinese firmware (Taiwan/Indonesian).
    No, there are not really any problems flashing the N8. It's just that for certain product codes there are two sets of firmware files - one has 9 files and the other has 6 files. If you use the set with 9 files there're no problems. Only thing is that the firmware installed at the factory also installs an OPTIONAL file that we suspect has localized media content on it, but that optional file isn't present in the sets from Navifirm.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Possible! I am wondering how to get, sample files that come preloaded?! I have reset the unit, reflashed, with the original firmware, but it just isn't there and that optional file, which is missing is no where to be found. Also, I am always thinking, why did nokia make the same product code for the same country, one with being 9 files and another 6....The one that has 6 files, does not have "uda" file and when I flash my phone with 6-file firmware, then I get 2 files missing, one is that probably sample videos/photos and the other on is "uda..."
    I doubt we'll ever get access to that media. For the most part, it's just movie commercials rather than whole movies.

I remember I had the same problem with my N95 8GB that originally came with the Spiderman movie. Hadn't even had time to watch it before I flashed my phone and lost the movie.

As to the 6 file set, I wonder if you copy the missing three files into the same directory as the 6 and flash that if it would work. Could be very risky though, so I'm not about to try.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    im downloading the pre-set firmware of my N8 to see what files are in that set so I know which one to download on other firmware.

Thanks for the heads up again. My hunch thrown away. My fear has lessen,

UPDATE: In Phoenix, I have 6 files. So I presume I need to download the 6-file firmware.

--

PS: We have Nokia 5800i? Why?!!
    Last edited by Chris_Skylock; 11-04-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

Any way to find out what languages are in what pack?

I'm looking for Moldavian, Russian, and English to be present......I wish we could find out which languages are on what packet.

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I doubt we'll ever get access to that media. For the most part, it's just movie commercials rather than whole movies.

I remember I had the same problem with my N95 8GB that originally came with the Spiderman movie. Hadn't even had time to watch it before I flashed my phone and lost the movie.

As to the 6 file set, I wonder if you copy the missing three files into the same directory as the 6 and flash that if it would work. Could be very risky though, so I'm not about to try.
    My original firmware is 7 files; so we have sets that are 6, 7 and 9 files. Most common is 6 and 9, that is probably generic firmware. For example firmware from T-mobile UK, Orange and basically branded, will have 7 files and might also be unlocked. Installing any of 6/7/9 file flashes, doesn't change anything. So lets say, you used Nokia Software updater and your product code is in the firmware database twice, which one will NSU pick? Phoenix picked the one that had 6 files, when I entered product code.

Thanks
    If i flashed my firmware for the first time, it worked like a charm. Now, when I needed to do it again, it shows me an error during flashing and says flashing failed and I can't do it again and as it has not been flashed, I can't turn it on either. What can I do?

Thanks

Exclamation question

when i'm opening phoenix it pop's up an error:

Error loading component

This means:
    Class not registered

i just hit ok and then follow the steps in order to flash my n8.

scanning for product brings up the same error:

Error loading component

This means:
    Class not registered

i'm ok with that too...
    but when i click refurbish it tells me that:

Some of optional files are missing. These files are:
    RM-596_011.012_U01.01_79.92_prd.uda.fpsx,
    RM596_029_000_M008_16G.fpsx
    Would you like to continue the flashing?

and... just to play on the safe side i've clicked no. so... any tips?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    If you read the whole thread, you'll note that I think we've all gotten the optional files warning.

They're OPTIONAL, meaning not absolutely required. You should be OK (but of course doing any of this is at your own risk).

Thanks

bad move

do not and i repeat DO NOT install the firmware update for russian_wh_bulgaria_romania code 0599829 cuz u'll end up with a brick in your hands. donno if should try another update or just let it be

Thanks
    maybe green is my lucky color should i go and try that one? )

Thanks
    Hi! I'm new here. It seems my first post didn't go through or it just takes a long time, so I'm posting again just in case.

When I first flashed my N8, everything worked like a charm. Then I noticed that the original headphones buttons don't work in a music player, but they work everywhere else. So I reinstalled the firmware(hoping that is the case) using Nokia software updater and it of course went back to original language. So I wanted to flash my phone again as I did the first time. This time it didn't work. During flashing, it popped up an error

HRESULT 0x8421001f (-2078212065) Firmware: Failed to switch phone to correct mode for fartorysettings using USB at first

and later it popped up

HRESULT 0x84210027 (-2078212057) Firmware: Firmware updating failed. Error 0x84009427 - Dtl: Could not send data to the driver, reason: 0x8400440E. Common USB DCM: Connection to device lost, check that the cable is properly plugged and the device's power is on.

What can I do?

Thanks

update

my n8 is officially D E A D rip

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plat1num View Post
    my n8 is officially D E A D rip
    Then we are in the same boat.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    OK...so I will not flash my Nokia N8 with different firmware. I will not take the risk.

I will if there are no updates for the next 3 months after the current/next was officially released. Take note that Philippines ALWAYS gets the updates last like my Nokia N97.

Thanks
    it's aliiiive!!! LOL just got it off the service it's up and runnin' in no time... actually 1h. so... donno what to say maybe the other codes work just fine but the code i wanted trashed my n8. BEWARE >

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    do not and i repeat DO NOT install the firmware update for russian_wh_bulgaria_romania code 0599829 cuz u'll end up with a brick in your hands. donno if should try another update or just let it be
    What does it do to the phone? I have installed Russian DG

aci
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bumer View Post
    Hi! I'm new here. It seems my first post didn't go through or it just takes a long time, so I'm posting again just in case.

When I first flashed my N8, everything worked like a charm. Then I noticed that the original headphones buttons don't work in a music player, but they work everywhere else. So I reinstalled the firmware(hoping that is the case) using Nokia software updater and it of course went back to original language. So I wanted to flash my phone again as I did the first time. This time it didn't work. During flashing, it popped up an error

HRESULT 0x8421001f (-2078212065) Firmware: Failed to switch phone to correct mode for fartorysettings using USB at first

and later it popped up

HRESULT 0x84210027 (-2078212057) Firmware: Firmware updating failed. Error 0x84009427 - Dtl: Could not send data to the driver, reason: 0x8400440E. Common USB DCM: Connection to device lost, check that the cable is properly plugged and the device's power is on.

What can I do?
    The problem with buttons is just the setting under accessories. You didn't have to reflash the phone and also more info is in the forum of N8, read everyting and there is a lot of help here. May be there is a problem with your USB drivers. Does phone work or died?

Thanks
    it's aliiiive!!! LOL just got it off the service it's up and runnin' in no time... actually 1h. so... donno what to say maybe the other codes work just fine but the code i wanted trashed my n8. BEWARE >
    Could you tell me exactly where did the flashing go wrong and was your N8 so dead that it didn't do absolutely nothing. What did the guys at the service say and was it covered with the warranty or did you have to pay for it?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    remember, phoenix can revive any nokia phone. it's just we need additional hardware to do it or apply some other method.

Thanks
    The problem with buttons is just the setting under accessories. You didn't have to reflash the phone and also more info is in the forum of N8, read everyting and there is a lot of help here. May be there is a problem with your USB drivers. Does phone work or died?
    There were no settings under accessories where I could make the buttons work in music player(they worked everywhere else). So I thought maybe there's a problem in a software, so I reinstalled the firmware with NSU and ofcourse it turned back to its original language, so I flashed again with phoenix to get my desired language. It is completely dead. It doesn't do nothing, only vibrates for a second if I hold the power button for a long time.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bumer View Post
    There were no settings under accessories where I could make the buttons work in music player(they worked everywhere else). So I thought maybe there's a problem in a software, so I reinstalled the firmware with NSU and ofcourse it turned back to its original language, so I flashed again with phoenix to get my desired language. It is completely dead. It doesn't do nothing, only vibrates for a second if I hold the power button for a long time.
    Your symptoms are exactly the same I got on my defunct unit. After about 12 hours, it suddenly decided it would turn on again. I think it's some sort of quasi-dormant state it's in.

Sounds to me like you might be a candidate for the three-button hardreset method. If that works, it will screw up your Ovi Store, so you'd need to try and reflash it with Phoenix. If that doesn't work, let it sit for a day and try again tomorrow. I know it sounds like magic, but in that quasi-dormant state my phone managed to work itself out somehow.

Your flashing problems sound to me as if its a driver issue of some sort. If you manage to revive your phone, uninstall and reinstall Ovi Suite then be sure to sync the phone with Ovi Suite at least once (it installs some software on the phone on the first sync). Then I would reinstall Phoenix and start the guide from scratch.