Podcast app for N8?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Podcast app for N8?

My Nokia N95-3 came with a Podcast application that could download and play both audio and video podcasts.

I can't seem to find it on my Nokia N8, is it hiding there somewhere?

If not, can anyone suggest a Podcast application for the N8 that can download RSS feeds of both audio and video podcasts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james_uk9 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a Podcast application?
    Podcatcher from Symbian Developers Updated
    Thank you VERY much! I'll install it this evening and try it out.

Thanks
    I thought folks might like to know about my podcast experinces with my N8.

Bear in mind that my techy skills in the mobile handset area are pretty limited, so some of this may have you saying "well, duh! ... of course it does that!" but here goes. I'm also pretty new to podcasting, so what follows may be a bit obvious.

Download and install

I downloaded Podcatcher from Forum.Nokia, here: https://projects.forum.nokia.com/podcatcher Not sure if that's the appropriate place, but that's where I ended up. I clicked on the "Symbian 3 SIS" link and I got a warning that this software is unapproved and may do bad things and give your phone the plague. I'm assuming that this app is not "signed"?? (another thing I know nothing about).

It asked where to install and I chose "mass storage". Not sure if that was right

It installed painlessly and appeared in my apps folder. It had a few podcasts pre-installed, including the ubiquitous, pompous Stephen Fry. I therefore quickly figured out how to delete a podcast (see below)

Adding one isn't so easy.

Adding a podcast Method 1. Add by searching

From the podcast list (left hand tab with the little RSS symbol) click the add button (middle button, RSS symbol with a + by it). NB this wasn't a menu option from Options at the bottom of the screen.

From the Add feed menu, choose search for feed. You are prompted for a keyword and shown a list of podcasts that almost certainly won't include what you are looking for (it didn't for me). I don't know how it chooses this list. For example if you put BBC in as your keyword you get a subset of the many BBC podcasts - how does it choose them?. For specific podcasts I wanted, I got nothing.

On the off chance that you do find the required podcast here, you just select it and it adds no problem. (I tried it and it works).

Adding a pocast Method 2. Add from address.

Now, this method works. I found it by trial and error. But it's so clunky that I'm hoping that I've missed something and there's an easier way.

A) Search the web and find a web page that gives you a URL for your podcast. In the case of the podcast I was looking for it was presented as plain text in an editable field, so I edited that field, and saved the address to the clipboard.

B) Navigate the web browser to the link. In the browser manually enter a URL and paste your web address. You will get a message something like "RSS feed added to widget catalogue". Now proceed to C

C) Go to podcatcher (with the URL still on the clipboard) and click the add button. Choose enter address and paste in your saved address. Podcatcher will think about it for a moment, then show the icon for the podcast, and replace the URL in the title with the podcast's name, and it will work. But if you miss out step B, then it will not.

Deleting a podcast

From the main podcast list (left hand tab) long press on the podcast. A context menu pops up, and delete is one of the options. Bye bye Mr Fry.

Listening

I managed to figure out how to download and listen to them, and it was relatively straightforward, even for me so I won't bore you with that. It's a bit of a shame that you can't leave a bookmark in it, so if you take a break you need to fiddle around to find out where you were.

Thoughts

What does bother me is that, once you've listened to an item it disappears (at least I think it does, perhaps I'm getting confused). But in settings I had Delete Old Shows" set to Manually. So I'm a bit worried about this thing cluttering up my storage with old podcasts. I've changed that option from "manually" to "one day after listening"

All this was quite a rigmarole, downloading and figuring out how to add a podcast. I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a reader in the Ovi store, especially as the Podcatcher page says "Podcatcher is presently in maintenance mode. Bugs will be fixed, but there are no new major versions planned. We are very happy to receive contributions, and are looking for someone who wants to take over the project."