Phone memory full. Where is the data ?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,432 Posts

Phone memory full. Where is the data ?

My phone memory is full and I can't find where the data is. I've uninstalled all apps on phone memory. Cleared all messages and e.mails. Cleared internet files and download folders. Y browser says c drive has all data in but there is that many files i can't they the size of each one in y browser. Anyone any ideas how to find this data ? I have a feeling it's a temp file or some sort. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    I am pretty sure the phone memory of my N8 has said, "0 bytes free of 254mb" since day one. I looked in the folders and most are empty. Maybe there are hidden files. I haven't had any performance issues at all with my phone.
    Last edited by tabasco; 01-01-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Ok guys, scanned the memory from file manger.

Showing 202MB of data in "other files" how do I locate these??

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    I think what were are seeing is the 256MB of RAM memory allocated for multitasking. That's my best guess.

Addendum: I also found this:

http://www.nokian8forum.com/nokia-n8...7-help-needed/

PROBLEM SOLVED!! Cheesy

I got a new sim-card...
    I hat at very old sim-card from (5 years old)...
    Older Sim-card can have smaller memory... New phones can have problems reading that.

- but now itīs works Cheesy
    - End of line...
    Last edited by tabasco; 01-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    when you connect the n8 to a pc the phones c drive shows o free memory

it has been set up like this from nokia out of the factory to stop users placing files in the cdrive by accident and slowing down the phone making it buggy aka the n97 and its cdrive

it also is supposed to mean that their will be enough room on cdrive for future updates etc to the n8 and other s3 devices and that the cdrive will remain unclogged

if you use the in built file manager or y browser you will be able to see you have 150mb roughly left

all that installs to c drive by default is some apps like taskmanagers and nokia programs , unless you choose c drive by default when installing apps from the file manager

even ovi store is now set to mass memory by default although like i say some program files still make it to cdrive

i think its a good prevention measure from nokia and could stop problems and some users having to format their phone to free up the cdrive whch any n97 user will tell you gets a tad annoying :-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-01-2011 at 07:27 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

dinesh0000 (01-02-2011), dogfox (01-01-2011), tribalmasters (01-04-2011)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    edit just read again

how have you managed to fill up your cdrive moz specially with 100s of files , that doesnt seem right to me and something must be getting saved their by an app , you shouldnt have over 200mb of temp files in there no way

try rebooting mate

what apps have you installed to c drive??

ive got about 50- 60 games and apps installed and only lost about 10mb from cdrive
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-01-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Maybe I've been way off here, but the original post said "...phone memory is full...". When I connect my N8 to computer, this is what I see under phone memory and it says, "0 bytes free of 254mb". I am sure it's been this way since day one. I just rebooted my phone and it says the same thing.

Last edited by tabasco; 01-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yep mate your right a pc will show the n8 as having the cdrive with 0 free memory left for the reasons i mentioned in my post

it has been set up like this from nokia out of the factory to stop users placing files in the cdrive by accident and slowing down the phone making it buggy aka the n97 and its cdrive

it also is supposed to mean that their will be enough room on cdrive for future updates etc to the n8 and other s3 devices and that the cdrive will remain unclogged
    however reading moz's post again it seems he is still seeing the drive as full even through file manager on the phone which shouldnt be the case

unless something is putting files there like an app or something moz's cdrive shouldnt be full via the inbuilt file manager

very weird stuff

Nokia User
    Thanks
    i installed the panorama photo app and that installed on phone memory .. and i noticed that leaves at lot of temp files in the panoramatmp folder also in the panorama_thumbs folder it will leave files .. once the photos have been prosscessed theses files are no longer needed

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogfox For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-01-2011), spirit44 (01-02-2011)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
    Maybe I've been way off here, but the original post said "...phone memory is full...". When I connect my N8 to computer, this is what I see under phone memory and it says, "0 bytes free of 254mb". I am sure it's been this way since day one. I just rebooted my phone and it says the same thing.

when i connect via usb mine shows the same ..but if i connect via bluetooth i get a true reading
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfox View Post
    i installed the panorama photo app and that installed on phone memory .. and i noticed that leaves at lot of temp files in the panoramatmp folder also in the panorama_thumbs folder it will leave files .. once the photos have been prosscessed theses files are no longer needed
    perhaps this is it then

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Guys this is when using your memory status application on the phone I downloaded. i current have 4 meg of space left. When trying to copy things from one maps media to the other on the phone? i left getting the memory error. Is the c meant to show as full or only when you connect to the pc ?

Thanks

Thatīs what I get when connected to PC in PC Suite mode, but if you use X-plore or Y-browser you will see the real content of the phone and other memories.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to elboyero For This Useful Post:

tabasco (01-02-2011)

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Really starting to get on my nerves now. Think I'll have to go into each folder to see the file size.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    My data properties contains 32 files , 41 folders and is 292 KB in size

Last edited by dogfox; 01-04-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: getting image to work... gave up trying

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    So when I get the error "Error Memory full, delete some data from c:/"

Are they referring to C Drive which when not connected to PC shows 5MB free. Or is it referring to RAM?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    its talking about your c drive moz mate

something is set up wrong on your n8 mate , maybe an app saving stuff to your c drive , temp files getting stored there and not deleted , ovi suite saving apps there instead of mass memory , something is defo set up wrong

you shouldnt just have 5mb left on c drive no way

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    So when I get the error "Error Memory full, delete some data from c:/"

Are they referring to C Drive which when not connected to PC shows 5MB free. Or is it referring to RAM?
    At a guess I would suspect 'C' drive. I would have thought the RAM would fill up and empty all the time with phone usage. The RAM is a transient very temporary memory where the phone dumps data it needs later, in realtime often almost instantaneously. RAM was often short on the N95-1 and the N97.
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Any ideas how to access this guys?

I've got a data view on Y browser and none of the folders contain a larger file than 3mb. Is this in a hidden folder maybe?

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    its talking about your c drive moz mate

something is set up wrong on your n8 mate , maybe an app saving stuff to your c drive , temp files getting stored there and not deleted , ovi suite saving apps there instead of mass memory , something is defo set up wrong

you shouldnt just have 5mb left on c drive no way
    So there is no confusion on Drive letters and GB vs MB, correct me if I am wrong. I think the C drive is simply about 254MB of allocated space and it is always showing that it is full when I connect my N8 to my computer, because it's allocated space so it looks full.

The E drive is your mass memory for your N8. I am showing 10.2GB free of 14.2GB

The F drive is your Micro SDHC Flash Memory Card. I am showing 14.4GB free of 15.1GB

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    it could well be ina hidden file moz and youd need to be hcked and using the new s3 file mnager to get anywhere near them folders and even with that you may not be able to get to the ones you need

id consider backing up contacts etc and then doing a *#7370# format which will earse all data but not qt components :-) its not much fun but it will clear the c drive to around its 160mb out of box state

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    So there is no confusion on Drive letters and GB vs MB, correct me if I am wrong. I think the C drive is simply about 254MB of allocated space and it is always showing that it is full when I connect my N8 to my computer, because it's allocated space so it looks full.

The E drive is your mass memory for your N8. I am showing 10.2GB free of 14.2GB

The F drive is your Micro SDHC Flash Memory Card. I am showing 14.4GB free of 15.1GB
    that bit is wrong it looks full and shows zero space via the pc to stop users putting files there by mistake not because it is nearly full up

nokia got caned by everyone over the n97 cdrive problems (being to small) so they addd extra cdrive space to the n8 and then have stopped users from copying files to it via pc

you can still move folders there from the phone file manager but if you do this you obvously mean to do it rather then mistakingly put a big file there

nokia want it clear so the handset runs smooth and doesnt throw up errors like moz is getting and also to future proof it for nokia apps that need to run from cdrive and also future updates that may need some space on cdrive as well

basics of this is pc will not show cdrive space but file manager will

moz has 5mb on cdrive shown via file manager so something isnt right :-)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    that bit is wrong it looks full and shows zero space via the pc to stop users putting files there by mistake not because it is nearly full up.....moz has 5mb on cdrive shown via file manager so something isnt right :-)
    I still think there is confusion and the reading Moz is getting from the tool he is using may be giving him an inaccurate reading. Here is what OVI shows for my phone, which is different from what my PC shows:

Here's another thread I found which may or may not help: Nokia Support Discussions - Re: N8 - C: SDRAM Memory 256 MB / E: Mass Storage ... - Nokia Support Discussions

Thanks
    I suspect something hidden and large in 'C'. Goodness knows what though. A backup and hard reset, although not painless should put it right.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I think it all depens on you connect to the pc

With a usb connection...C memory will show up as full with 0 bytes remaining and will not let you alter or delete any file and will end up getting the write protection errror

with a bluetooth connetion... C memory will show any space left with the number of bytes avilable and it will let you alter and delete file

ovi will give me the same reading as what my pc says and so will the nokia file manager

so as buxz says.... if it was mine i would do a format and start a fresh

Nokia User
    Thanks
    for the fun of it i just did a *#7370# reset and now show C phone memory 179 MB free.... now back to setting up my phone

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dogfox For This Useful Post:

dynomot (01-04-2011)

Thanks
    OY ! That's my territory doing things for the 'fun of it' (TIC). How's the rebuilding going ?

My 32 Gig card finally arrived this morning after disappearing in transit and a bit of bother with Play.com about getting a new one free (sorted, a mix up) so now I have the joy of reinstalling stuff to where I want it. I'll look into 'C' and see if I can find out what might be filling up Moz's.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    yes it went well thanks ....just what it needed was a good old clear out

Thanks
    I'm glad it worked well. I intend to do much the same this evening. It will be good to have an organised phone again, and will be an opportunity to dig around and try and find an S^3 equivalent to S60's 'harvesterdb' to reset the music library amongst other stuff.

Thanks
    Does anything happen to the apps installed on mass memory? Can you tell me the data that you saw got reset

Thanks

Maybe a solution

I recently had this 'low memory' problem. I solved it by uninstalling an application that used the c:/ (phone memory) as
    default for saving data. Those data could not be detected as well. Also, i remember a certain virus (cant remember the name though)
    that used to multiply itself and causing the same problem. In that case backup was useless as it would backup up that same virus as well,
    only solution was format. Hope this helps

Nokia User
    Near Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Had the same problem the other week on another post.
    Had to do the 7370, and rebuild the phone again. All is fine for now, and like you all, I could not work out what caused my C memory to be full.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Saying that, I have just checked the C memory, and I have 44mb free.............AARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH

Nokia User
    Thanks
    If you use Panorama alot, check out C: for all the pictures and delete them. Some Apps/Games install on C: althought you already set on your Ovi store to install on mass storage or memory card. Anna 1/2 update install apps on C:.

Thanks

Solution to phone memory on nokia n8

Hi,

I did this and was able to solve my problem with the prompts that my Chone memory was full.

People who have the problem will notice that the they cannot actually find where the memory have been used up. so do the follwing.

1. Press the menu button

2. Go to settings

3. go to application manager

4. Go to installed apps.

5. Bingo. there you will see all your installed applications and where they have been installed; whether in drive c or mass memory.

6. You will now need to uninstall some applications from drive C and install in mass memory. All applications that memory chip indicator by it have been installed in mass memory. those without that indicator are on drive C. so choose which ones you will like to uninstall from Drive C

7. Note that some applications are best run on drive C, esp those you will be using often.

I did this and i freed up 80MB of phone memory. i can free more if i want to
    Well wishing you good luck and if my solution helps let me know.

Thanks
    Hi

My nokia N8 mobile is too slow from some days and now some softwares are not running like whatsapp, skype etc. I thought that its happening because my mobile phone memory is full. So I tried to delete some files from the phone memory by connecting my mobile to the computer. However, on doing this I am getting a message THE STORAGE IS WRITE PROTECTED, REMOVE THE WRITE PROTECTION..I write cliecked on the folder also to see if i can do it from there but it doesn't give any such option. Please help me with this problem so that I could get my phone working properly again.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Hi

My nokia N8 mobile is too slow from some days and now some softwares are not running like whatsapp, skype etc. I thought that its happening because my mobile phone memory is full. So I tried to delete some files from the phone memory by connecting my mobile to the computer. However, on doing this I am getting a message THE STORAGE IS WRITE PROTECTED, REMOVE THE WRITE PROTECTION..I write cliecked on the folder also to see if i can do it from there but it doesn't give any such option. Please help me with this problem so that I could get my phone working properly again.

I am trying HAMA'S solution and will see if it works.

Thank you

Thanks
    Do you mean the SD card?. If so take it out from the phone and insert it in your PC, checkout "Properties" and maybe you can remove the WRITE PROTECTION.

Thanks
    Thank you Elboyero for your suggestion.

Is SD card the phone memory card? I will try your suggestion and will see if it works.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Hello Elboyero

I dont have any SD card in my mobile.

When I connect my mobile to the computer it shows phone memory C as full and it does not let me delete things from C memory.
    What should I do.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

And whenever I reboot my mobile I get a message MEMORY LOW. DELETE OR MOVE SOME DATA FROM C: PHONE MEMORY.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,332 Posts
    You cannot access C: Drive directly. You can read this article for solutions to your problem - What if?... The ultimate Symbian optimisation gains you up to 80MB of system disk
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    Thank you for your help.

Its a long article which I will read in free time. Is there any instant solution to this problem? Whatsapp and skype have stopped running on my mobile. When I try to download whatsapp new version i get the same message MEMORY LOW... again. I dont understand what to do. I have been searching for the solution since morning.

Thanks
    Several possible solutions are explained in the article. There is nothing I would recommend you should do without first performing a full backup of your handset, except maybe clearing the cache of your browser:

The easy way to do this is to:
    1. Go into Web and tap on the menu icon and then on 'Settings>Privacy'.
    2. Tap on the 'Clear privacy' line and then on the 'Cache' bullet point - the UI's not too obvious at this point, but the browser cache does get immediately deleted.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

46. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

Aarzee (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    I have followed your instructions but it is not making any difference. I am having the same problem while installing whatsapp.

Thanks
    Do you get an option to choose where to install Whatsapp ?

49. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

Aarzee (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    No I dont gte any such option. It selects E: Mass memory itself. I have just checked C & E both memories are not full as yet still I am facing this problem. Secondly i also get this message while installing whatsapp that UNABLE TO INSTALL. NOT ENOUGH MEMORY. Do you think I should remove whatsapp completely and than reinstall it?

Thanks
    That would be worth a try.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

Aarzee (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    I tried that and it is working properly now .

Thank you for all your help. 93tid and Elboyero & Hama also.

Dedicated User
    Thanks

Angry Temp

I am starting to get the memory full notice on a regular basis. Going into Files - C: Phone memory - temp & deleting everything solves it for a while.

Thanks
    My phone memory is full and I can't find where the data is. I've uninstalled all apps on phone memory. Cleared all messages and e.mails. Cleared internet files and download folders. Y browser says c drive has all data in but there is that many files i can't they the size of each one in y browser. Anyone any ideas how to find this data ? I have a feeling it's a temp file or some sort. Thanks
    Moz,

I had the same problem. Asking around led me to flashing the phone with a CFW (cooked firmware). took me a while to muster up the courage to do it because of the possibility of bricking the phone. Did it finally, and I'm glad i did! Using the phone on the CFW I used for about a week now, and I'm delighted with it!

Go to n8fanclub.com - they have step by step guides and links to the necessary software. i used delight v6.099. hope that helps and good luck!

Moz
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. However you're a good few years too late my friend.

Thanks
    Thanks for that. However you're a good few years too late my friend.
    heh.. unfortunately, i saw the timestamp AFTER i replied! I'm a recent convert to messing with firmware, forced to explore it thanks to the maddening memory problems with the N8 on standard firmware!

Dedicated User
    Thanks

Talking Update

Usually when I get this message I delete everything in my Temp Folder & that does the trick for a while. Unfortunately, that stopped working so I did some investigating and fixed it antoher way - apps that came with my N8 (like Youtube or Shazam) were installed on the C drive; also, apps I acquired thru Software Updates (like MS Office & Communicator) were on the C as well.

I have the Nokia Store setup to install on the E drive so I tried to uninstall & reinstall the software thru the Store but it still defaulted back to the C drive. Therefore, I just uninstalled software that I have never used like Quick Office & that freed up a lot memory on my C drive.

Now my N8 is a lot faster too, like the good ol days.