N97 USB charging problems
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia User
    Thanks

N97 USB charging problems

Hi all, I've finally got something really bad to ***** about, this being the following. When I use either the wall charger or the PC usb cable the usb port in the phone is VERY loose and moves about really badly. To such an extent that I have to hold the USB cable in the phone to ensure the charging light is lit. It swaps between charging and not charging all the time. I went to CPW (Nokia care point? Plymouth) to be told "we have never seen this problem before and must send it away". Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    hey, i got the same issue, been living with it for 2 months now, its a pain to use data cables, i have to use bluetooth for everything now!! i cant imagine a software uipdate via usb cable

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcastrog View Post
    hey, i got the same issue, been living with it for 2 months now, its a pain to use data cables, i have to use bluetooth for everything now!! i cant imagine a software uipdate via usb cable
    Difficult to charge via bluetooth though lol. Bring back the old charging I say! Or give us both?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    have seen odgy usb connection on a couple of n97s that have been through my hands

it wasnt due to it being loose though , the connection felt fine it was just in the phones mind wether it would charge or be recognised by the pc

a reboot usaully cured it so it may be a different issue to yours

Thanks
    badly enough, my N97 is european and I live in mexico, so I have to use a converter to plug the charger in the wall (they are different) and the chrger supplied with the phone would only recognize the charger for 5 minutes, then the message "not charging" would appear and would stop charging, the charger works fine with my N85 (also european) so I took my brothers's N97 NAM versión charger and use it with my european N97, the result: no problem, weird I know...

still i have the wobbly usb connector, I have to move it around to charge it properly!! but when i find the right spot I can leave it at the table, try that!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    still i have the wobbly usb connector, I have to move it around to charge it properly!! but when i find the right spot I can leave it at the table, try that!
    Yep I can do that, but sometimes I have to balance the TV remote control on the lead as it goes into the usb port. Oh what was ever wrong with the "old" plug in chargers?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smartpulse View Post
    Oh what was ever wrong with the "old" plug in chargers?
    The pins broke inside the socket, the 2mm male end on the charger easily broke off or bent, nothing else used it.

Those were the main complaints.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,414 Times in 3,294 Posts
    My N97 has experienced this too where you plug in either the usb connectivity cable, or charging lead, and the N97 does not start to charge, I have to remove, and replug back in, sometimes a few time too, which frankly is annoying. The worse part it, this issue is not only isolated to the N97, it also happens quite a lot with both the N900 handsets i have here.

The N97 on the other hand is fine, but I have to wonder, is this because the charge port on the N97 Mini is upside down compared to the N97 and N900?

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    I too have been having this problem and was just about to post a new thread til I saw this. This has only started to happen recently ( or i've just noticed it recently).
    It seems as if the charger only works when it is being pulled down towards the silver menu button, so my guess it a loose connection with the pins.

Thanks
    i thought it was an isolated issue with my N97 but looks that this is not the case, shame on you nokia!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I too have been having this problem and was just about to post a new thread til I saw this. This has only started to happen recently ( or i've just noticed it recently).
    It seems as if the charger only works when it is being pulled down towards the silver menu button, so my guess it a loose connection with the pins.
    Yeah either pulled down or my wallet balanced on it til the light comes on. Sometimes it bleeps at me for a couple of minutes saying charging, unplugged, charging, unplugged, not-charging. It's an absolute pain.

Thanks
    anyway to fix this problem? my usb cable is working better then my charger...
    Own:
    07 Nokia N95-1 With 8GB Micro SD.
    07 Nokia 6300 With 2GB Micro SD.
    =]

There Is One Thing That Iphone Can Do And My N95 Cant Do Is Disappoint Me. =]

Thanks
    My friend have same problem, he send it on warranty.

Thanks
    I think I have found a temporary fix for this!

Have the phone lay down flat with the charger inserted, give the charger a firm (but not too firm) push upwards (towards the sky) bending the pins SLIGHTLY and the cable seems more secure. Now if I wobble it about it still stays connected and continues to charge the phone.

As I said it could just be temporary as I done this last night and put it back on charge tonight and it was fine, but gave it a wiggle and it fell loose so I had to do it again.

Thanks

N97 USB charger and data problem

Yes, my N97 can sometimes not accept charge from either a wall outlet charger or from a USB cable. Sometimes it will not connect to the PC by USB either. Have left it to the local service point and will see what's happening...

Bad because I so quickly got addicted to my N97, hard to be without it for whatever time it takes.

Nothing loose int the physical contact, as it seems.

Thanks
    I have the same problem. Sometimes takes me ages to get it charging... annoying when I need it working to wake me up for work in the morning!

Thanks
    i had ths issue on my classic n97, i really hated it, because first, i had to wiggle around to make it charge, then after a few minutes it would display a message saying "not charging" and stop charging, or sometimes it would "charge" but not for real, just pretend to, so on the next morning my phone would have 1 bar left.

good that I got rid of it, now using a n97 mini. A tip: be easy with the usb pins, they may break easily!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Sent it away with Carphone Warehouse under warranty, it came back with the lens fixed (blue pad)? Also they fixed the USB not sure how long it's going to last though.

Thanks
    I sent mine away as the charging point had snapped and wouldn't charge at all. When I went to pick it up from Carphone Warehouse they had given me a refurbished phone from Nokia. This new "refurbished" phone is doing the same thing!
    I'm thinking, could it be the charger itself thats maybe faulty? Or has anyone found a fix to this?
    It's getting really annoying when I phone is on charge and I am trying to write a text. Everytime I move the phone or the cable it changes from "Charge" to "Not Charging" then to "charge"! Really annoying when trying to write a text message!

Thanks
    It seems that this is a general issue regarding Nokia handsets with USB port, i've been facing this recently and it's reaaaally annoying....
    Hope that Nokia would find a solution for this, because if it continues that way, i'm sure the USB port won't respond any longer for anyone after 1 year of usage....

Thanks
    it stopped responding at all on my n97 classic after 7 months of normal usage. it started wobbly (charging, not charging, charging), but one good day it stopped working.. so no update for me, as i need the cable to do so, no charging at all, i had to buy an external charger...

the good news is that I got a n97 mini, BUT hopping the same thing doesnt happen to it :s

btw, my older N85 didnt have this issue.

Thanks
    So its just a n97 issue then? I'm really think about flogging it on ebay and getting something else!

Thanks
    havent seen that issue on other micro usb models just the N97, have had the N85, the N97 and the mini...my brother has a N97 too, just like my dad, no issue on theirs yet. a friend of a friend had a N97 with the same problem.

Thanks
    it stopped responding at all on my n97 classic after 7 months of normal usage. it started wobbly (charging, not charging, charging), but one good day it stopped working.. so no update for me, as i need the cable to do so, no charging at all, i had to buy an external charger...
    Do you think it could the charger itself then since it seems to work better with the usb cable?

Thanks
    samee happened to me. At first i thought it was the charger since i chnaged it for a new one and worked better, but then it rejected the chrger and would do the same... I changed the charger again and was ok for some months until it rejjected it again.. I treid 4 different nokia chargers until it died completely. No charger works now

the external charger is the one where you remove the baterry of the phone and put it on the charger.

Thanks
    samee happened to me. At first i thought it was the charger since i chnaged it for a new one and worked better, but then it rejected the chrger and would do the same... I changed the charger again and was ok for some months until it rejjected it again.. I treid 4 different nokia chargers until it died completely. No charger works now

the external charger is the one where you remove the baterry of the phone and put it on the charger.
    Unfortunately I am getting to this stage...I am having the same symptoms as you guys. Phone will charge intermittently, depending on how the usb plug is positioned. The plug has a LOT of play, way more than it should. It is getting worse and worse every day....I can't believe I'm going to end up charging this phone with an external battery charger

Thanks
    I'm going to get rid of this device if Nokia doesn't give a solution ....

Thanks
    take it to repair, it will be a high level repair:s

Thanks

N97 USB Charging problems

I have the same problem. Went to the Nokia store in Chicago and they told me it was a software issue. They told me to download the lastest update for the N97. There is only one issue. My #$%@ data port is not working. So I am trying all kinds of ways to get a solid connection. I have a very hard time believing this hardware issue is a software issue. Good thing my phone is still under warranty. The staff at the store stated this has been a problem.

Thanks
    I believe it is the wall plug charger that is loose, maybe the usb connection is too smal. My friend has the same phone and when I use his charger it fits nice with no loose connection.

Thanks
    Downloaded the new software and it did not fix the problem. The staff at the Nokia Store played with data/charger port for 20 minutes and finally decided to ship to customer care for repair. They stated I should have it back within 5 days max. Day six and still no phone. I find it funny that the N97 is not for sell on the Nokia Website.

I have ordered a external battery charger to save wear and tear on the data port. Also have decided to use bluetooth connection only. The only time I will use the data port is for software updates. I am a huge Nokia fan and I love my N97, the camera is very good, free GPS, I could go on and on. And I know I will have to get rid of it some day because of technology. I just dont' want that day to be 6 months after I bought the phone.

Thanks
    So now its my turn. Have been in a amusmentpark for a few hours when I noticed that the the phone was off, after I went back home and trying to charge it did I think that it already payed for his days, til I red about the others here. SO low quality for so muck money!!! I really like my N97, was one of the first here in SWE to have it, but should I've bout the Iphone instead???

Red about external charger, ajajaj, where shoul I find it to buy?

Gonna try with the seller of the phone, a big company in SWE, tele 2, hope they got some advice!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deni_d1 View Post
    So now its my turn. Have been in a amusmentpark for a few hours when I noticed that the the phone was off, after I went back home and trying to charge it did I think that it already payed for his days, til I red about the others here. SO low quality for so muck money!!! I really like my N97, was one of the first here in SWE to have it, but should I've bout the Iphone instead???

Red about external charger, ajajaj, where shoul I find it to buy?

Gonna try with the seller of the phone, a big company in SWE, tele 2, hope they got some advice!!!
    mine stopped charging as well, thats what I did, I bought an externar charger, if you can send it under warranty i highly recommend it

Thanks
    okay everyone, this is how I FIXED my N97 that I thought was having problem with with the USB port. UNINSTALL the OVI SUITE or PC SUITE if you have it, uninstall the cable driver too if you have it. Go and download the PC SUITE that they have for the N97 back then, not the OVI SUITE. I believe PC SUITE also come with the CD in the box. For me, I USED OVI SUITE and that didnt solve the probllem. The first time I fixed it with the PC SUITE that came with the CD, the 2nd time I used the PC SUITE that they have on the site for the N97 MINI since the N97 is no longer listed on the Nokia website.

I don't know about you guys phone but I think this is totally a SOFTWARE problem. If I turn my phone off, it will charge. If it was a hardware problem then it wouldn't charge at all. Goodluck to everyone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TT061880 View Post
    okay everyone, this is how I FIXED my N97 that I thought was having problem with with the USB port. UNINSTALL the OVI SUITE or PC SUITE if you have it, uninstall the cable driver too if you have it. Go and download the PC SUITE that they have for the N97 back then, not the OVI SUITE. I believe PC SUITE also come with the CD in the box. For me, I USED OVI SUITE and that didnt solve the probllem. The first time I fixed it with the PC SUITE that came with the CD, the 2nd time I used the PC SUITE that they have on the site for the N97 MINI since the N97 is no longer listed on the Nokia website.

I don't know about you guys phone but I think this is totally a SOFTWARE problem. If I turn my phone off, it will charge. If it was a hardware problem then it wouldn't charge at all. Goodluck to everyone.
    i bet you will come back in some days

Thanks
    for Deni_d1, I got a external phone charger on Amazon, they had about 4 to chose from, and it working for me. I carry around two batteries so when one dies I install the one and charge the other. It is a bit of a pain but it is working. I use data port only when necessary. Most transfers can be done via bluetooth or direct internet acess via phone.

For TT061880, the people at the Nokia store kept telling me it was a software issues and gave me a lot of support. But is was obvious that my data port was was very lose. compared to the new phone it is night a day. I believe it is a hardware issue. The metal around the data port is not durable enough to stand the where and tear of daily use. I believe that is why Nokia has taken the N97 of the website and offers very little support for the phone. Good Luck keep us updated if your solution work. I like the idea of using pc suite for the mini N97, wonder what would happen if you use the ovi suite for the mini N97.

Now my issue is downloanding the upgrade for the free Navigation,
    Last edited by Cmike; 05-31-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

Same Problem in Brazil

I'm experiencing the same problem on my N97. Very EXPENSIVE phone, with this high level PROBLEM. I don't know if is possible to solve this hardware problem. Very fragile this micro USB connector. I'm very bored. I like the phone, but this is a very limitating issue.

Thanks
    Instead on holding on to the USB cable while charging u guys should try getting the usb port replaced instead....i think that would solve the problem....if u dunno where to get it repaired then here is the link to a repair they do really good work on phones...Nokia Repair

Thanks
    I guess replacing the USB port might solve the problem,u guys should try that out....those who dont know where to give it to repair then i know a repair center that does really good job in repairing all phones try it out maybe it may solve the usb issue after all......Nokia Repair

Thanks
    its big problem
    i got my n97 used from ebay
    a found out some thing wrong with the usb
    then i got it fixd (i wanted to put to fix in finland but i was leaving a they take 2 weeks to fix)
    so i fixd it cheap in india a now after few month the problem come agian
    i have to warp the cable around the phone to get it stable to charge its very annoying
    i now need to take it back to fix

Thanks
    If you continue to use the date port for data transfer and charging it is just a matter of time before the data port goes bad. If you want to continue to use the N97 I suggest getting an external battery charger, and using bluetooth for all possbile data transfers. It's obvious now that Nokia put this phone out to soon. I would respect Nokia is they gave a decent rebate (not the trade in for an upgrade) on the N97.

Thanks
    bt data transfer is to slow
    a external battery charge more likely if possible
    any way yesterday i wanted to charge my phone a almost simply gave up on it
    was nearly impossible
    it got real bad now
    i got to go fix it
    how long garrenti nokia give for phone?

Thanks
    Nokia warranty is good for one year from time of purchased. They will only replace the phone ONCE!! I agree bluetooth is slow, I just don't want to take any chances on damaging my data port. I am going to keep the phone for another couple of month and then switch.

Thanks
    i went to 1 office here in delhi india yesterday
    they said we try...they said no possible fix this port
    i got 1 external charger
    their is 1 other office i should go a if they cant fix it
    hmm well im going to b very sad
    i had the phone for 6 month i like this phone
    but i found so many users complain about this usb problem that nokia should do some thing about it
    i hope their is still hope for my usb

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    My USB port is also crapping out, almost exactly 1 year from purchasing this POC. Forget about having it being recognized by a PC..it's lucky that it even charges...talk about planned obsolescence..piece of junk Nokia crap

Thanks
    i was just about to sell it a get a better 1 for good price look like i can forget about that idea now unless i can some how fix the usb

Thanks
    Moon69, if you had your phone for 6 months and you have proof of purchase, I would suggest calling Nokia's toll free number and explain that your data port is not working and you would like to use your warranty for repairs or recieve a new phone. They will give you all the needed information for shipping. Nokia is aware of the issue, you should recieve a new phone.

Thanks
    i went to 2 shops in india
    1 of them i think stole a part of my phone
    that phone cant b fixd
    the last shop they opend it a after 1 hr the guy said some part is missing only nokia can fix
    a then in thailand they said the same
    its workd fine for 6 month a suddenly their is a part missing...
    i charge it with external charger
    a for data i use bluetooth
    i have to recit cose i got it used from ebay i only got charger with it
    it was cheap
    i think i have nothing to do but keep it as it is a get new phone when one comes
    or may be some 1 would buy it as it is
    i have 2 batterys with it

Thanks
    My usb port went bad a few months ago. Sent it in for repair and now its fine.

Thanks

Exclamation

I experience the same problem with my Nokia unit. I was on travel when my charger or my phone failed. I haven't the time to go to search for a service center on the place I was to fix it so what I did is I bought a Universal Charger instead since it cost cheaper than a new battery. New battery also requires charging.

When I got home I called Nokia's toll free telephone for customer support they said it could be the charging pin (on the phone). I will bring it maybe tomorrow.