Nokia GPS Free? It Seems Doubtful!
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Nokia GPS Free? It Seems Doubtful!

I'v heard that there is a GPs crack for the nokia which enables the full use of the "Nokia Navigator" without paying for the licence.

I work in a 3G Mobile store ("Hutchison" Australia) & i ran in to customer who said he got it off the net.

First u use NOKIA MAP LOADER to download the maps. And then u can down downlad an apply the patch to your phone.
    THis patches a certain system file that enable the "FREE USE OF THE NAVIGATOR"

Anyone heard of it ?

or if u find it on the NEt plz post it UP

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    i've jus read one of the other posts & one of the moderators (pseudofinn) says that we are "pro nokia... and a software hack that enables you to steal from Nokia wouldn't go over well"

Nokia to charging for a licence for using its navigation software when the route calculation isnt that great at all......is ridiculous. Its pretty shockin compared to TOMTOM.

But it was quite selfish of nokia to lock it up so that the GPS cannot be utilized by any other software.

Only other software that works with the built on Nokia GPs is "Route 66"
    I have no idea how though
    Last edited by kang.t7; 06-08-2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kang.t7 View Post
    Nokia to charging for a licence for using its navigation software when the route calculation isnt that great at all......is ridiculous. Its pretty shockin compared to TOMTOM.
    I don't see why it's all that ridiculous for Nokia to want to make money. Why do they have to give you everything for free? Even the Nokia BT GPS only came with a trial of Wayfinder... should I have been upset that I didn't get the full version with it? I thin it's perfectly reasonable, and a little bit generous for Nokia to provide free GPS software, while charging for navigation.

But it was quite selfish of nokia to lock it up so that the GPS cannot be utilized by any other software.
    Here's where you're making the mistake. The hardware is available to 3rd party developers. Always has been. It's the 3rd parties that need to get with the program. Most software, including the great Dutch TomTom, isn't programmed to look for an internal GPS. They simply weren't designed to do so. TomTom is currently working on an update, but no news yet. Sorry, but before you start beating up on Nokia, you need to get your facts straight.

Only other software that works with the built on Nokia GPs is "Route 66"
    I have no idea how though
    Wayfinder, GMaps and other programs also work with the internal GPS.

Thanks
    I'm pro nokia too, which explains my 10 or more nokia phone over the past couple of years for my entire cell phone carrying family. In fact, ALL of us currently have Nokia's including 2 N95's, a 3250 and 6265... Those are the current active list, upgraded from an N90, N70, among MANY MANY others.

But I feel after shelling out $750 + tax USD for the phones, I would have NO PROBLEM using the Navigation for free... I was disappointed to learn I couldn't use turn by turn voice nav without paying extra for it! BUT.............. such is life.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Don't know how phone contracts work in the US but this side of the pond they are including up to 3 yrs navigation with a contract. I guess they figure you'll be less likely to trade in the handset after a year that way and they will make money on the data charges.

Thanks
    N95s aren't available on contract in the States. We pay straight up for the device and navigation.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Wow, makes a nice change from rip-off Britain.

Then again you are not paying over $7 (US) per US gallon for gas.

Thanks
    But we drive more- things are more spaced out (in my part of the country anyway- as are most areas) and our public transportation is a joke.

But at least we have the iPhone!!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Public transport?

I believe they have that in London but when you get down to the 5th largest city in the country it doesn't really exist. :P

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Don't know how phone contracts work in the US but this side of the pond they are including up to 3 yrs navigation with a contract. I guess they figure you'll be less likely to trade in the handset after a year that way and they will make money on the data charges.
    Only on O2 and I believe any handset from CPW.

Orange don't!

Thanks
    The public transport in London is amazing. Only place i know where its actually possible to not own a car. And youre not disadvantaged by it at all! Ill

Hit that Search button! No results? DONT PANIC. Put an * after your search term, and try again!

I am anti 'Txt spk'. I support good grammar. I am part of the 'Save the Vowels' society. So, for your sanity and mine, type out your words. Thank you.

Click 'Thanks' to give something back! It's FREE!

Thanks
    NYC too!

I always have fond memories of Finland's public transportation as well.

Thanks
    oh... you should have to see Singapore's public transport as well.... seamless connection to almost any part of the island.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salada2k View Post
    The public transport in London is amazing. Only place i know where its actually possible to not own a car. And youre not disadvantaged by it at all! Ill
    Wouldn't go that far. The tube has more problems than any metro system I know, is totally overcrowded, and in summer is a horrible place to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudofinn View Post
    NYC too!

I always have fond memories of Finland's public transportation as well.
    Yes Finland have real good transportation for be so big country with so small population 5,2million,u allways get a sitplace

Pseudofinn u can update your memory here

Transportation in Finland - public transportation- official travel and tourism guide

Thanks
    Aw man... new trains? I haven't seen them yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Wouldn't go that far. The tube has more problems than any metro system I know, is totally overcrowded, and in summer is a horrible place to be.
    They do need air conditioning thats for sure! I guess I'm just used to ****** public transport where I'm from in Australia. :-) You cant live without a car there, I guess that's what I like about London's transport best.

Hit that Search button! No results? DONT PANIC. Put an * after your search term, and try again!

I am anti 'Txt spk'. I support good grammar. I am part of the 'Save the Vowels' society. So, for your sanity and mine, type out your words. Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudofinn View Post
    Aw man... new trains? I haven't seen them yet.
    Ahh when did u last visit Finland the land of Nokia

U need to over the sea some day ,I u with a beer or five

Thanks
    It's been five years now. I was last there when I got married. Took my wife there to see the beautiful country. A year or two before that when I was in Finland I took a boat over to Stockholm, which was very lovely as well. The best sandwich I've ever had was in Stockholm... a street vendor by the Royal Palace.

Thanks
    Ok nice ,yes about the boats between Sweden-Finland i know a lott of.
    I go over allmost evry second week to Finland..) I work near Royal Place in Stockholm but i dont know what kind of sandwich?

Tomorrow its real nice midsummer partys in Sweden and Finland ,i see there come old emigrants like Pamela Andersson to Finland (Her granddad moved from Finland to Usa 1908..)She want meet old relations Iltalehti.fi | Suomen puheenaiheportaali

If u come over make a call with your N95 ,I show u around

Thanks
    It looks like getting a decent mobile phone in USA seems to be very expensive. I got my N95 for free on a great contract, "free" unlimited internet and only paid $US 100.00 for 3 years navigation. And, I am sorry to say this, your 3G networks suck, I was recently in the US (had an N80 then) and getting 3G speed was almost imposible.

Thanks
    Well- for starters, yes... it is very expensive to get a decent mobile in the USA. Infact, it's over 500 US dollars to get even a lousy iPhone, on contract!

Seriously though- we don't get good high-end mobiles over here. People think that the iPhone and the Razr are the latest and greatest. Truth is, of course, that the Razr/Rizr/chocolate/blackjack is a joke and the iPhone- other than being a phone with an apple logo and that "revolutionary" multitouch- is about two years behind, and even so is lacking some very basic functions of highend mobiles. So yeah- our general population is grossly misinformed, lied to and cheated out of good quality phones. The few that make it are hopelessly expensive because none of the providers will pick them up, so no subsidization.

As far as 3G goes, yeah... I bet is sucks. There are still commercials here that compare Nextel's slow *** data service to the slow *** Cingular EDGE service- neither of which are even close to dog slow 3G speeds- and these ads are aimed at business users! It's getting better, but it's no where near European standards. If they can sell EGPRS devices all day long without the problems/costs of rolling out new networks, why bother? No one seems to mind...

If it's not "broke" don't "fix" it. Long live the iPhone.
    Last edited by pseudofinn; 06-30-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    I heard last week from Nokia that they work very hard to fix "moore" good applications stuff to the GPS ,with new better car maps and that i like>

Nokia planing to get good navigator system for sea too.(boat users like me..)
    with seacards and stuff in the phone.
    Good news
    Last edited by Tommie; 07-01-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks
    hmmz...Doesnt the US have HSDPA yet?

I have a Broadband plan bundled with my N95. I use it with my laptop. 3.6Mbps baby... LUV HSDPA

& on a 24 month contract i'm paying $24 a month 4 the n95 = AUD$576 = USD$493.
    Thatz, because i work for THREE MOBILE..lol..u would be paying double for a normal customer..

Thanks
    Oh by the way, Since this thread is on the GPS CRACK..lol...

One of the managers @ the mobile store i work @ said he'll be able to get the crack off one of his friends soon who has it on his n95

Oh, dont worry moderators, i wont post it here.

i wonder why this forum is so PRO nokia. Are we secretly Affiliated with NOKIA some how?
    THe n95 is a great phone, but nokia is just money hungry. Charging for the gps is just pushing it. i'll stand by my previous opinion.
    Last edited by kang.t7; 07-03-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: correction

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kang.t7 View Post
    i wonder why this forum is so PRO nokia. Are we secretly Affiliated with NOKIA some how?
    THe n95 is a great phone, but nokia is just money hungry. Charging for the gps is just pushing it. i'll stand by my previous opinion.
    I think it's probably not so much pro Nokia, but anti theft. Whilst we can debate all day long about whether Nokia's charging for navigation is a rip off or not, taking it for nothing is still theft.

At least with a phone most people never have to pay the full value of the equipment as it's usually network subsidized. All non phone gps suppliers charge full price for the equipment (which includes navigation and an initial set of maps) and charge for additional maps. Not much different really, either way you pay.

Thanks
    Well... if you think it's a pro-nokia forum, I guess in a sense you're right.

I mean... what's the url of the site? We're a community dedicated to the Nokia N95. Most of us are die hard Nokia fans, being that we paid nearly a thousand us dollars for a phone and for the pains of being early adopters.Quite a few of us might be looking out for the interests of one of our favorite companies by not promoting the idea of stealing from them... I hope you understand. We're not Nokia shills, we're Nokia fans- and there's nothing wrong with that. Unless you're a blogger with an iPhone.

But abraxus is right, it's more of a theft deal. We can't go around supporting the thievery of Nokia.

You think Nokia is ripping you off and being money hungry or selfish by selling a GPS unit without software?

Think about it like this, you buy a BT GPS, does it come with software? No.

You think TomTom is including a copy of their software for free with the purchase of a TomTom One? No- you're paying for it.

I think everyone is looking at this whole thing wrong... I think those who are pissed at Nokia because they're charging for the turn-based navigation feature are just being silly. Isn't it enough that Nokia bought a Navigation company to include software at all for the N95? They can't want to turn a profit on that?

Why doesn't TomTom include ANY software at all when you buy a BT GPS? You have to buy a bundle with the software AND the GPS? Gee.. what jerks. I can't believe it costs an extra hundred bucks to get the software for the GPS. I mean- you pay for the hardware, right?!?! LET'S GET 'EM!!

You know what I mean?

And this thread was hijacked but no one cares because the thread shouldn't even exist here.
    Last edited by pseudofinn; 07-04-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks

Angry Nokia-pro forum

Guys,

It occurs to me that by 'restricting' this forum to nokia-pro sujects you are all doing yourselves a great injustice and are not furthering the n95 cause (sorry if this seems a little melodramatic). Good forums discuss the good and the bad about the subject (in this case the vendor Nokia) and should allow free-thinking and if possible active software contribution to the n95 solution.

This has two end results - firstly the n95 user base are happier as they have a better overall solution and are more likely to recommend the device to a friend who will then purchase it, more money in the Nokia coffers = (hopefully) more research & testing done on the n95 and potentially more features included for free.

The second end result are to make Nokia pick up its game and to provide features and solutions that are potentially being provided free of charge on this forum. This model is tried and tested within the windows mobile market (where I have come from to the n95) for example xda-developers - Xda-developers.

I am not suggesting that we advocate breaking the law within this forum but I am certainly suggesting that we push the boundaries within the law to provide a better solution for everybody. In other words rather than Nokia losing out completely by users switching from Nokia Maps to other GPS software (and paying licence fees to the third party vendor) surely it is in everyone's interest to further the Nokia Maps cause, vendor and client alike.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this one

Thanks
    I think it benefits me more if TomTom comes out with a version of TT6 that supports the N95. I couldn't really care much less what Nokia does with the Maps program- I'm always going to be a TomTom user until something better comes along.

I just don't really see how hacking the Maps program to allow all of us to use the navigation functions for free would benefit this forum in the long run, and Nokia at all.

I'm not following much at all, perhaps... how are we not discussing the good and bad of the N95?

And are you saying we should develop software here for the N95, or that we should trade retail copies of stuff, and try to hack the Maps program.

I'm confused...

N8
    Thanks
    Coming back to the topic... ANY NEWS ON THE CRACK THAT MAKES GPS NAVIGATION FREE?

Thanks
    No. And there never will be, not here.

Have you been paying attention to this thread??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia N95 View Post
    Coming back to the topic... ANY NEWS ON THE CRACK THAT MAKES GPS NAVIGATION FREE?
    Please don't request any cracks, hacks, or warez regarding ANYTHING on this site. We are pro-Nokia and if everyone cracked GPS the price would be even HIGHER for navigation.

Let's not contribute to making the situation worse than it already is.

P.S. You are fined 3 demerit points.

You can redeem them by lowering the price of your 4GB cards, LOL! ;-)

Thanks
    if you can afford to pay $500+ USD for this phone, you can afford to pay the $14.95 a year for the GPS IMO.

Thanks
    I read somewhere that Nokia may make navigation free in about a month or so!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Love to see a mobile blog entry on that. If they do, I'm guessing it'd only be for new handsets until we early addoptors scream fowl!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Love to see a mobile blog entry on that. If they do, I'm guessing it'd only be for new handsets until we early addoptors scream fowl!
    Yes i think u so right i feel like a fish ..) Oh my good you not newbie or dedicated or N95 user any moore You are one Genius N95 user.
    Congratulations

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Wow, makes a nice change from rip-off Britain.

Then again you are not paying over $7 (US) per US gallon for gas.
    but with your 15 pound minimum wage or whatever it is youll have more than enough $ to pay for all that gas.

Thanks
    No, we definately get screwed here in the UK. Tax, tax and more tax. Tax on petrol, road tax, yup 180 per year, just to use your car, 3 for a pint of Guinness! And I think the minimum wage just a tick over 5... Actually...

+ I don't think there is a pro-rata rate for a year subscription on GPS in the UK. Last time I was tempted to sign up it was 47.53 for 3years or 40.74 for 1year! (and 5.43 for a month!)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mariokarter View Post
    but with your 15 pound minimum wage or whatever it is youll have more than enough $ to pay for all that gas.
    Yeah, 15 .....A WEEK!

Thanks
    Man, Britain sucks the LIFE out of you. The price of stuff here makes me wanna cry.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    well your in london...NYC sucks the life out of you too...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjai View Post
    if you can afford to pay $500+ USD for this phone, you can afford to pay the $14.95 a year for the GPS IMO.
    15 per year?

Hmmm... nope. 80 dollars per year.

Are there new rates that I'm not aware of? I'd pay 15 bucks a year happily, and in a second.

Anyone? Are there new rates? I assume it's still 60 euros annually... right?

edit-
    Yeah, just looked it up. 90 Euros for North America.... that's about 125 US dollars. That kind of money will buy you TomTom6 software. Not cool.
    Last edited by pseudofinn; 07-18-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    -=Moved to Software Hacks=-

Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,258 Posts
    Where did you read that mate,that would be great!

Thanks
    Yeah I wish I could remember..... Unfortunately it's been over a month and still no free Nav....

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    The missing Nav from Nokia maps doesn't really bother me that much. The routes the program creates are pretty off the wall many times anyway. What I wonder is why anyone really needs turn by turn in familiar territory..so I just plan on buying a 7 day or 30 day license when I'm travelling to unfamiliar areas. Meantime I use wayfinder 7 for the odd time I don't know where I'm going in the area I live. If you compare the routes the 2 apps create-wayfinder makes much more sensible routes-hands down

I plan on buying a 30 day license in europe next month...its cheap and will supplement any other gps device i decide to get or bring w/me

Thanks
    It's about 5 for a month. I paid it via premium texts in desperation when I was heading for the smoke a few months back. Worth it to be honest.

Thanks
    -=Post removed due to rule infraction=-
    Last edited by salada2k; 10-04-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Rule infraction - we do not condone revealing locations of cracked Nokia software

Thanks
    Rapid Dr3am, this is your first and last warning. DO NOT even TALK about cracked software here.

Software developers need to get paid so companies make money and people get to put food on their tables. This is a pro-Nokia forum and this discussion will no longer be tolerated.

Any more (and that wasn't even subtle) hints at where to obtain cracks will result in an infraction, and any further will result in a lifetime ban.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks
    im sure there are other 3rd party GPS programs you could use.. beside amaze. in malaysia, i could use Mapking 2007.. its not cheap either.. but at least its a 1-off payment.. license last as long as ur phone is active.. mapking is only available in hongkong, singapore, thailand, malaysia.. and some other asian countries..
    Last edited by Sp00k; 10-04-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Don't even mention it! ;)