N95 8GB : Video recording stutters + slow photos
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks

N95 8GB : Video recording stutters + slow photos

I have a serious problem recording video and taking pictures using my new N95 8GB.

1. If i use "TV high quality" or "TV normal quality" for recording then the recording will usually stutter after about 5 seconds of recording. Also, when i end the recording i will usually see "Processing video" for an even longer period than the recording!

If i switch to record to the phone memory instead or use a lower quality then i do not have this problem.

2. When taking a photo the phone displays "Processing Image". Normally it does this for about 12 seconds after taking a picture which seems a bit unacceptable to me. Additionally, sometimes the UI will lock up for up to 30 seconds after taking a picture ( and the processing image message is not shown).

My phone usually has a about 110 - 120MB free phone memory and about 2GB free of the 8GB built-in memory. The firmware is 15.0.015

Everything seems to point towards the phone not being able to write the video/photo to the mass storage fast enough. I assume that since nokia itself put in the mass storage it ought to be fast enough to record at this speed? Is it possible that it is faulty? Or can it be because i have alot of small files on the mass storage possible slowing the filesystem down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    It's a bug in the V15 firmware.

I have heard a solution is to format the mass storage, hard reset your phone, and then re-install the firmware. Beware all data will be lost doing it this way, so remember to transfer any data onto your pc, and sync your contacts & calender apps using Nokia PC Suite first.

Azn

Thanks
    I'm using V15.0.015 and not having ANY problems at all...

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azn View Post
    I'm using V15.0.015 and not having ANY problems at all...
    Only occurs on some installs of V15 apparently. There was a thread about it on Nokia forums, but it has mysteriously vanished.......

Thanks
    no problems here; 15.0.015 firmware too. wonder what influences it. have you tried to reinstall the firmware?

Thanks
    v.15 seems to improve the video capture on my 8gb too..much better from v.11...

Thanks
    Same here - quality improved some what from v11 to v15.

Thanks
    Like I said it has only happened in SOME installs of V15, and the cure (from what I have read) is to follow the instructions above. If someone does do this, could you please write back here whether it worked or not please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    Like I said it has only happened in SOME installs of V15, and the cure (from what I have read) is to follow the instructions above. If someone does do this, could you please write back here whether it worked or not please.
    On my phone the problem sometimes goes away for a short while (but always comes back) for no apparent reason. I havent tried reinstalling the firmware yet as im on vacation without a laptop. When i get home (around the 28th) i will try to re-install as instructed and post back my findings here.
    Last edited by ziphnor; 01-24-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    HI Ive got the same problem on high quality after 3-4 sec it stops/starts but on lower quality does not do this. What do you do about it?
    Thanks Ray

Thanks
    Well i had the same problem; my video stutterd (after 7 secs) while i tried to make a vid.

I found no update what so ever. So finaly i did a format on my mass-storage, a hard reset and a reinstall of my firmware ... Now its Fixed!

So that is the solution .. not the one i hoped for .. (coz now i can reinstall all my appz).

Good luck

Appie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by appie View Post
    Well i had the same problem; my video stutterd (after 7 secs) while i tried to make a vid.

I found no update what so ever. So finaly i did a format on my mass-storage, a hard reset and a reinstall of my firmware ... Now its Fixed!
    Have you tried putting all your stuff back into the flash memory? I am a little worried that the above only solves it because it empties out the flash storage completely.

I am a little worried that either the filesystem slows down with many files or some parts of the flash storage is simply too slow.

I am going to try to just remove all my files and see if that helps (i hope it doesnt) and then i will try the format/reset/re-install.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphnor View Post
    Have you tried putting all your stuff back into the flash memory? I am a little worried that the above only solves it because it empties out the flash storage completely.

I am a little worried that either the filesystem slows down with many files or some parts of the flash storage is simply too slow.

I am going to try to just remove all my files and see if that helps (i hope it doesnt) and then i will try the format/reset/re-install.
    Well actually, iv put my apps back .. (wasnt using that many utils: panoman, sygic and qik) but it looks like my phone is faster.. specially taking pictures!
    But than again ive only been using the new install 4 a few minz now

Ap

Thanks
    Well actually, iv put my apps back .. (wasnt using that many utils: panoman, sygic and qik) but it looks like my phone is faster.. specially taking pictures!
    How much of the flash memory were you using before you re-installed?

Thanks
    I tried doing as instructed but it only helped partially:
    1. I formatted the mass storage.
    2. I hard-reset the phone
    3. I re-installed the firmware.

The first recording i made with the camera was fine (and i choose to delete it), the next stuttered EXACTLY like before (and took forever to process afterwards).

It seems that whenever i start a recording quickly after ending the previous recording, then the new recording will stutter. This is a slightly different problem from before, but still annoying as hell.

Photos seem fine.
    Last edited by ziphnor; 01-28-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Hmmz ... sound kinda weird mate!
    I did 3 vids in a row after ur comment .. no problem here.

Thanks
    Hmmz ... sound kinda weird mate!
    I did 3 vids in a row after ur comment .. no problem here.
    Im starting to worry that some parts of the built-in flash memory is too slow or something like that. If i save the initial recording instead of deleting it, then i can no longer reproduce the problem unless i go to the gallery and delete the initial recording. After doing this, the second recording will again stutter if i delete the first one.

Thanks
    Im starting to worry that some parts of the built-in flash memory is too slow or something like that. If i save the initial recording instead of deleting it, then i can no longer reproduce the problem unless i go to the gallery and delete the initial recording. After doing this, the second recording will again stutter if i delete the first one.
    Wow from a comp engineer stand point the way you describe it does seem to suggest a flash memory or memory handling problem. It's almost like it's having trouble re-writing some of the data locations and that might suggest faulty memory.
    I cannot confirm nor deny anything I say or type to be truthful in any way.
    If you appreciate the help, use the Thanks Button to show it! - sp00k

Thanks
    Well .. bcoz i had the same problem and (after an reinstall) not anymore i guess it is the firware ... i suggest U reinstall it one more time. And ill pray it works for u!

Thanks
    Well .. bcoz i had the same problem and (after an reinstall) not anymore i guess it is the firware ... i suggest U reinstall it one more time. And ill pray it works for u!
    I suppose i could give it one more try. After that i guess its time to email Nokia's support....

Thanks
    Also, you may want to try using a different product code when you re-install the fw..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckthehell View Post
    Also, you may want to try using a different product code when you re-install the fw..
    How do i do that, and wouldnt that just be inviting more problems?

Thanks
    Okay, this gets weirder and weirder, but now i think i know the culprit!

What i did:
    I re-formatted, hard reset and reinstalled again. Allowed the welcome wizard to run.

I started the camera, went into video mode, and recorded and discarded videos again and again. No problem what so ever.
    I exited the camera and started it again, still no problems. Did this about 5 times.

I started and exited the gallery application. Went back to camera application, the initial recording was okay (and i deleted it), but the second stuttered!

Switched the phone off and then on. Camera now works just fine, did a cycle of record and delete. Went to the gallery application and back again, and guess what, the second recording stutters!

(Note that i do *exit* the Gallery application, not just switch away from it.)

Okay then. I turn it on/off again and check that the camera is okay. Then i make one recording that i do *not* delete and then i go to the gallery. Now when i return to the camera i do not notice any problems!

This seems to indicate that there is some bug with an empty gallery. Possibly its some thumbnail generation bug as i noticed that this firmware version mentioned changes to the thumbnail generation.

Does there exist any task manager like application for Symbian so that i can see if the gallery is perhaps still running?

Thanks
    handy taskman is my favorite but I started a thread with another one that I think was free, I'll go dig it out. Either way nice find on the bug and hopefully somone with an 8gig can help you do some further testing.

http://www.n95users.com/forum/third-...n-program.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoppee View Post
    handy taskman is my favorite but I started a thread with another one that I think was free, I'll go dig it out. Either way nice find on the bug and hopefully somone with an 8gig can help you do some further testing.
    Thanks for the task manager. I can see that even when you "Exit" an app like Camera or Gallery its actually still running even if you cant see it using the normal task manager.

I tried shutting down Gallery after it caused the stuttering, but it doesnt seem to help. If i start Gallery (Image&Videos) with nothing in there, i have to turn the phone on/off to get the video recording to work again.

There is still the possibility that its a flash memory fault of course, the Gallery could be creating temporary thumbnail files whose existence would move later recordings to another location. Also i recorded a 2 second clip and the problem was still there. I then added another slightly longer recording and the problem disappeared (after restarting).
    Last edited by ziphnor; 01-29-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    yes I've noticed gallery, log and contacts stay open after 'exiting'.

I'm still not sure what your problem could be but it seems like your testing is getting you closer to the answer

Thanks
    Sounds like i should as Nokia support. Does Nokia have some good support forums somewhere?

Thanks

My n95 8gb does the same with new V15 update

I have a serious problem recording video and taking pictures using my new N95 8GB.

1. If i use "TV high quality" or "TV normal quality" for recording then the recording will usually stutter after about 5 seconds of recording. Also, when i end the recording i will usually see "Processing video" for an even longer period than the recording!

If i switch to record to the phone memory instead or use a lower quality then i do not have this problem.

2. When taking a photo the phone displays "Processing Image". Normally it does this for about 12 seconds after taking a picture which seems a bit unacceptable to me. Additionally, sometimes the UI will lock up for up to 30 seconds after taking a picture ( and the processing image message is not shown).

My phone usually has a about 110 - 120MB free phone memory and about 2GB free of the 8GB built-in memory. The firmware is 15.0.015

Everything seems to point towards the phone not being able to write the video/photo to the mass storage fast enough. I assume that since nokia itself put in the mass storage it ought to be fast enough to record at this speed? Is it possible that it is faulty? Or can it be because i have alot of small files on the mass storage possible slowing the filesystem down?
    Hiya all 'well ive just updated firmwear from V12 to V15 and since this has been done i cant record videos worth watching 'it stops starts all the time BUT the sounds never clips at all 'this has happend since updating the firmwear via noikia ..there where no bugs before and now i seem to have invited one 'really made me mad as i only got the phone last week second hand 'will there be a fix for this silly problem? shane

Thanks
    i have the same problem but it doesn't stutter always i record. sometimes it doesn't...did you resolved the problem??everything i could do is : you nokia!!

Thanks
    Hi Guys!

Greetings on behalf of N95 8GB users from Hungary. Unfortunately, the topic about the video recording bug is just as lively on Hungarian fora.

One interesting thing I found: if I change the destination of the recording in setting to phone memory then there is no stuttering whatsoever. Of course the downside is that I only get approx. 8 mins of recording.

Thanks
    anyone know this but internal memory is too small for recording

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts
    For small recordings yes but you wouldn't want to clog up all your phone memory up with recorded videos.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    I have the same problem. Any idea if/when they are coming up with newer Firmware for this and whether it will fix this problem?? I have posted this issue to Nokia Support. Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Thanks
    i know how to format the mass storage but i don't know how to do a hard reset & reinstall firmware, can someone please help me? I'm using a N95 8GB with the latest FW. Thanks all!!

So that is the solution .. not the one i hoped for .. (coz now i can reinstall all my appz).

Good luck

Appie

Thanks
    clikc the tips and the faq tabs at the top, read through those for your answer to this and probably every question you have right now

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I had this exact same problem after upgrading to 1.15. Before upgrading, I had copied the phone memory to the card and had two programs running from the card (but didn't restore the backup, just left it on the card).

I began to go through the process described above, but after formatting the card (internal 8gb, you know what I mean), I decided to test the video/picture anomoly and it was gone. For good measure, I did a hard reset and reloaded all my apps onto the phone memory to save the card for multimedia and document data (with one exception - TomTom, couldn't figure out any other way to load it on the phone).

After the hard reset, the system ran much faster, but's slowed down a bit after installing my apps. The camera has a bit more delay after installing TomTom, but the bug we've had was gone after just reformatting the card.

This leads me to believe it's one of two things: (1) Whatever was on the card before the upgrade, combined with the upgrade meant that it was being accessed more memory-intensive and/or without reformatting the card, the new FW had to use a memory map table to access everything on the card, causing a slowdown in the paging file access to the card memory or (2) TomTom or similar memory hogs on the card drastically and progressively reduce the efficiency of the native camera app's accesss to the memory with this new FW - in which case, my problem will return sometime in the near future.

Thanks
    I've this common problem with n95 8gb @15.0.015 , what I've done is removing any video files from mass storage and the problem dissappeared , I'll be looking for an app. that would make a good file scanning and later I would upload the files that I've removed and see how things going on from there!

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I am having the same problem with my N95-4 the FW version appears to be 1.2.011(if I'm looking in the right place), so I'm not sure that the problem is only related to the FW.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Well, I got around to formating the Mass Storage drive then I did a reset. All seems to be fine now!
    Last edited by ryscar; 04-01-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ryscar For This Useful Post:

Micky (04-01-2008)

Thanks
    i got a n95-4 and it does this too, i did a hard reset and tried it before i loaded anything, no luck.. ;[

Thanks
    Dear Forum,
    I think i have a way for the IT masters to find the solution. I will NOT post this to any nokia forum, as i find it very rude that Nokia shows absolutely no reaction on a question that practically crippled the phone.
    I am not providing a complete solution, just tried something that came up in my mind after reading all possible threads in all forums that discuss this poroblem.
    It is obviously an addresation problem, not hardware (slow memory chip), as the 15.0.015 did not change the video taking process, and the phones worked fine in the previous versions.
    Ok now. Delete all videos from your 8gb mem chip.
    Connect the phone to the PC selecting the PC suite on the phone. No need to swithch on the PC suite on the PC, if you have previously connected the same phone to you PC. Now trough the Win Explorer (My Computer) select your telephone (on my PC it is shown as a telephone icon). Select the memory card. Select the "Videos" folder.
    Remember that you deleted the videos? Well, the folders that contained them are still there...
    Select all the folders inside the "videos" folder and delete them. I have noticed that on my PC it took 15 seconds to delete 5 "empty" folders (!?).
    Start your camera and start video recording. The problem is gone. I have tried this on 2 N95 8gb phones.
    If you delete the first video after this procedure, the second one will start to stutter. So keep the first video.

This is not a solution, but it is a way for the IT specialists to see where is the problem.
    I am not sure how the phone will react when he will create another folder inside the "videos" folder (when the date changes).

Hope this helped.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Ritzar For This Useful Post:

jamieoyeah (05-14-2009)

Thanks

this simple fixed has worked for me.. so far.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd report my findings so far on this problem.

I've been using the phone for about a week now with v.15 installed taking loads of videos and photos installing everything I could find and putting music and videos galore on it too untill....

Tried to record a video today and the stuttering started, read the forums and tried resetting to phone by reinstalling v15 but it didn't help even before reloading all my backed up bits.

What DID work (so far anyway) was to simply turn off "act. camera from capture", once I did this everything on the phone worked a bit faster too and NO stuttering.

be really good to hear from anyone else who has had success from doing this.

Also WHEN CAN WE HAVE THE V20 SOFTWARE VODAFONE!!!!

I've heard the excuses so this is purely a rhetorical question!

Goodluck with this "fix" ; )

matt bonham.

Thanks

Sorry!!!!

I spoke to soon just tried to use the camera again to test it and its back to stuttering!

Its weird because I turn the function off and tried the camera and it worked turned it back on and it didn't, did this a couple of times and the outcome was repeatable so dont know whats changed.
    anyway i'm off to cry at yet another piece of technology that falls just sort of its potential down to "human error"

Guess I have to live with the lower quality fix for now.

Matt bonham

Thanks

hmmmm....

Just tried it my failed fix again but this time I took of the instant previewing of the video after its been took and it seemed to work again for a few vids but after deleting the test videos it now does not work again the only thing that always works is recording to the phones main memory (internal) not the 8gig.

I cant believe I used it for a week with no problems the only thing thats changed for me is installing some apps like the accelerometer that might be running permanently in the background slowing it down, This is doubtful since it stuttered straight after a fresh install!

I hope this is fixed in V20 for the 8gb, anyone know if it is?

Thanks
    Nope, it's not fixed with the new firmware v.20.0.016... Video stutters again.

Thanks
    doesn't the v20, for the 8gb log say that this problem is fixed in the latest version?

Thanks
    I had this problem on a brand new N95-2 (out of the box from Vodafone), it was solved by formatting the mass memory and then installing the v20 firmware. Cant tell you which one actually fixed the problem, but I have no more stuttering with the video now.

Thanks
    is it not possible to report back to nokia about this Issa as the video would be one of the main functions of the phone and is a dissapointment to have such a problem

Thanks
    I've got a N95 8gb and it's done this outta the box.
    Upgraded to the latest FW (v20.) and it's not made any change.

Think a post on the nokia support board or maybe even the phone returns dept might be a solution.

It def feels more like a slow memory problem than a FW issue, at lest that's what it's reminiscent of.

Thanks
    I have this stuttering aswel, but it doesn't matter whether its the first recording or the next ones, it still jumps and stutters, unless its set on low quality...and even then it only works half the time.

Im on v20 just updated recently. Actually didn't even test the video camera when i was v11 but i assume re-installing my v20 firmware won't fix the problem. It took enough trouble doing that so i don't want to go through it all again unless it'll def fix it. Has anyone found any other solutions?

This is really annoying. I love my n95 but it's a joke that they can't get these basic features right, especially since my n95 is the newer 8gb version with latest firmware. They should have these sort of problems fixed before even releasing the phone let alone at this stage. Argh, sorry for the rant but for such a complex phone the video camera really is sh1te!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast