Problems obtaining your initial GPS lock? Read here! - Page 3
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Great information ,
    I'll try to get a lock on again this weekend, but
    if that fails i'll get the screwdrivers out.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    good man.

don't forget to find mickey and hit his 'Thanks' button. he loves a bit of that.
    "it's not rocket surgery".

Thanks
    I have just bought a pre-loved n95 off ebay due to my old one being terminally run over by a fork lift. The only catch was that I couldn't get sat lock no matter what I tried. However when I swapped the antenna connections between the two phones, it now works fine! Thanks to the above post and Mickey for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by wrighty1973 View Post
    i found all the info i needed via one of our good friends Mickey here in the forum:

"The GPS antenna is located within the bottom panel..

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

LMc
    Thanks

Recap: Fixing long signal wait times

I too suffered 15 and 20 minute waits for the GPS to locate me.

In the end, it was a misconfig by me. It is critical that you do the following:

-> Tools --> Settings ---> General----> Positioning ----->Postioning Methods

Make sure all but Bluetooth is selected; this includes:
    * Assisted GPS
    * Integated GPS
    * Network Based

Then under ----->Postioning Server, make sure you have an available wireless service for it to find when on the road.

Made these changes, and I now almost instantly get a new fix.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LMc For This Useful Post:

xd69 (01-25-2009)

Thanks

GPS calculating for rout

Hi ,
    when I use my GPS , I get a note "calculating route", some time for 1/2 hr , any solution `

Thanks

N95 GPS NO or long time waiting for connection

to the experts ,
    My N95 takes about 30 Min to lock or no lock , it is new and has V20.0.016 28/2/08 do I have o upgrade

Thanks
    Last edited by n95nokia; 02-12-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Exclamation N95 8GB GPS access inconvenience

Hi I own an N95 8 GB since a couple of months. I´ve been using GPS Garmin service included in the phone. Since a month ago I cannot use it any more. Each time I press the garmin icon (applications menu), and after pressing "I Agree" , a saying appears indicating "Searching for GPS device" and after 20 seconds aprox, another sign appears " No GPS found, Try again (Yes/no)". I´ve tried to access the GPS many times without success... I´ve also tried setting Tools/Settings/General/Positioning/Positioning methods and clicked Assisted GPS and Integrated GPS.I cannot figure whats going on... I´ve also tried through Connectivity/GPS data and it captures satellite signales (four) without any trouble..Could anyone help me with this trobleshooting? Thanks. Christtian

Thanks
    Hi!
    I have problem to get GPS signal after I update my phone to the latest firmware for it (v31.0.017). I am not talking about navigation software such as Nokia maps, or Garmin... I can't get satellite signal in built-in "GPS data" application. Doe's anyone have some solution for this problem?
    P.S. And I am not alone: Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lost GPS after upgrade V31.0.017 for N95 - Software Updates - Nokia Support Discussions

Thanks

Unhappy GPS problems

Can anybody help me with receiving GPS signal? Satelite status shows me empty bars for several satelites but no signal is receiving. I have tried to catch the signal for almost one hour (not only 5 min) on open place, nothing happened. Is there any opportunity to find out if the GPS works correctly?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    I was going to ask that, but I figure if it hasn't got a lock in 5 hours in the open, something is badly wrong with the GPS. Quite possibly a damaged/disconnected antenna.

I'd submit it to a NSC.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Thanks
    How do i check it if A-GPSis on? I have this phone for a half a year and never tried anything to do with GPS, so please be patience with me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Have you checked here: http://www.n95users.com/forum/gps/20...5-gps-gps.html

And from page one on this thread?
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartmanekul For This Useful Post:

kaktus (05-14-2009)

Thanks
    no, not yet, I will check it, thank you

Thanks

no satellite data found!!!!!!!!!1

hello
    i followed the same procedure but after about half an hour it said "no satellite data found".whats the problem????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onslow View Post
    Best i've managed so far is to get red dot and single flashing bar in satelite strength.
    and having tried 'satelite status' , It just stays on "Retreiving Data" so far and on
    Nokia maps "waiting on GPS". I also use a seperate reciever which came with the
    phone as i bought on 'ebay' and the phone has tomtom installed . Tomtom and Nokia maps both work well but only with external receiver sor far. Will keep trying but i think
    internal GPS is not good. Will post if i get a fix .

am based in Lancashire U.K.
    What you mean by external receiver? Is it really necessary for Garmin or TomTom to work properly only if it connects to Bluetooth? whenever I go to GPS data to find my position it searches for bluetooth device and end up saying cannot find any. Though I am getting my position. does this mean Iam getting it through WLAN? Also my Garmin has the same problem, cannot find bluetooth. Can someone please explain what bluetooth has to do with navigation and how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I'm finding the OP's post to be helpful. I would say that holding the phone in your left hand (due to the GPS antennas location), keypad open and pointing the phone in the opposite direction of the equator at roughly 45 degrees seems to help me immensely.

Going outside is a no brainier too!
    Last edited by TheNCO; 07-28-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 00hkelly View Post
    GREAT NEWS - i suggest you do this too!!!

tools>GPS Data>Navigation>options>satellite status

then leave it on this.

open the keypad and prop the phone up at 45 degrees and leave it on a windowsill

the just check on it every 5 mins or so and eventually it will get a connection.

i think that its just the first time that it connects it needs to figure out whats going on. but now it connects instantly and knows where i am.
    My N95-3 NAM is tools, Connectivity, GPS data, Navigation, options and then satellite status.
    Mine never acquired status...will try again in more open area. Mine takes a long time to connect. I was using sports tracker and it took about 5 minutes after I started biking before it beeped and locked on.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hi!

Location and weather are also huge factors!

Cloudy days - not good.

Lots of skyscrapers - not good.

Just my experience!

Tmuldoon
    Nokia 4 Ever

Thanks

hi

Quote Originally Posted by 00hkelly View Post
    GREAT NEWS - i suggest you do this too!!!

tools>GPS Data>Navigation>options>satellite status

then leave it on this.

open the keypad and prop the phone up at 45 degrees and leave it on a windowsill

the just check on it every 5 mins or so and eventually it will get a connection.

i think that its just the first time that it connects it needs to figure out whats going on. but now it connects instantly and knows where i am.
    i try it but it did not work on my e65 instead telling me to search for gps satelite pls need more infomation

Thanks
    am having problem with my gps need a solution pls

Thanks

GPS lock n95

dear all who have issues with N95 GPS lock, I followed all instructions on this forum and I still got issues with my GPS lock, clear sky, on my street, no buildings arround, I have unlimited internet connection 3g all bars and everything, My Garmin software was showing 5 full bars and 6 more satellites but took almost 5 min to lock and here was my solution: I have reset the phone to factory settings and YEY, now it locks in under 5 seconds every time ,even if i turn my phone off, then on and open Garmin XT, it locks right away.
    the only explanation I find is that due to numerous programs and software installed each and everyone of them may or may not change deep phone settings which make the GPS lock to change....even if you uninstall those programs like (battery monitor etc) the changes those programs are making are not totally removed therefore go ahead and try also reset factory settings, you will only lose the personal settings, like call settings...but in 2 min you are back in business...

good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123