Name not displaying in SMS inbox
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thanks

Name not displaying in SMS inbox

Suddenly developed an issue with my N95.
    It was one of the first out, bought off the shelf and recently (a month) upgraded to the latest v20 something firmware, or was it v12 something ?

Now when I get SMS's I get the number its from, and not the name of the person its from. These numbers are in my contact list and if people ring it display's their name, shows their image and play's their ringing tone.
    So its just an SMS issue.

Anyone have this ?

PS I have 503 contacts and 2000 messages in inbox (stored on slow memory card ATM (want to get them back onto the phone)), could that have an effect ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Have you checked for duplicate phone numbers in your contacts list?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeckthehell For This Useful Post:

caminhante (03-03-2008), jerc (03-03-2008)

Thanks
    First thing I thought about. It was just happening to my girlfriends number, so deleted her whole contact and added again, fixed it for a day, then went whacky again, so then moved her mobile number into its own contact, again worked for a day then when whacky and now today all messages are coming through as numbers, no names :-(

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    The main reasons for caller ID not working are:

1. Duplicate entries in contacts - by FAR the most common cause and unfortunately, the most awkward one to fix.

If the phone finds the same number against more than one name, it doesn't know which to use so, perfectly sensibly, it defaults to showing the number.

The only way to fix this is to remove duplicates from your contacts. Best way to do this would probably be in Outlook on the PC, but assuming you can't do that, then you have to find the numbers that aren't working a use the LATEST version of the Nokia Search tool to find the duplicate entries:

NOTE: when you search, use PART of the number to avoid problems with formatting: searching for +441234567890 will NOT find +44 123 456 7890 whereas searching for 789 would.

2. Using your international dial code instead of '+'

Not sure if this applies to all phones, but if you store your number using your county's international dial code (eg: 004412345678990 - WRONG) instead of the '+' sign (+4412345678990 - RIGHT), it can cause problems.

3. "(0)" area code prefixes

Only a problem if you synch with MS Outlook. When you specify a country in MS Outlook, it will insert "(0)" into your phone number after the country code - while somewhere in Redmond, Bill Gates cackles - so +4412345678990 becomes +44 (0) 12345678990.

You need to remove the (0).

4. 9 and 10 digit numbers

There has been one report of problems with 9 and 10 digit numbers where one size doesn't work with SMS and the other with calls.

I think you know what you should resort to doing if still cant sort out the problem..re-update fw!
    Last edited by jeckthehell; 02-27-2008 at 07:50 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeckthehell For This Useful Post:

caminhante (03-03-2008), Grayburn (02-27-2008), Micky (02-27-2008)

Thanks
    Thanks for that.

None of that explains why if people call, caller id works perfectly fine, its only not working in SMS messages.

I only just got the phone how I like it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grayburn For This Useful Post:

jeckthehell (02-28-2008), Micky (02-27-2008)

Thanks
    It appears moving all messages form my inbox to another folder has solved the problem.

I had the thought that, as I am using the memory card (slower than internal memory) and as my inbox got bigger, it was getting prgessively slower to open my inbox. So I thought maybe its timing out looking up the phone number in my 500+ contact list. Makes sense and it seems to be right so far.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    I bought a brand new N95 yesterday and had the exact same problem. My previous phone was a Sony Ericcson K800i.

Here's how i fixed it.

I sync'd my K800i with ZYB | Bring mobile data to life. You register for free, follow the steps and all your contacts will be uploaded to an online server from your phone. Then, sync'd my N95 with the same website, so all my contacts were uploaded to my new n95 phone.

However there was still the problem of the inbox not showing names, only numbers. I went into my contacts settings on my N95 and DELETED all my sim contacts (it appeared some contacts were saved on my phone memory as well as my sim memory, so there were duplicates). See your instruction book on how to do this.

Then I went through the contacts on my phone memory and ensured there were no duplicates.

Any texts received from now on will appear as a contact name and not a number. Any texts previously received still appear as a number not a name though, which is a bug in the software. ... the phone only checks your contact list for a name/mumber match when the SMS is first received, rather than everytime you open your inbox, as it should do really.

Bad software.
    Last edited by jonwhittaker; 02-29-2008 at 03:44 PM.

dtm
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    It does that if you get a message from someone and add the number new it still just shows the number not the contacts name. Same applies if you delete someone and add the number its like it doesnt update itself or something

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    It does that if you get a message from someone and add the number new it still just shows the number not the contacts name. Same applies if you delete someone and add the number its like it doesnt update itself or something
    Yeah you are quite right - it is rubbish. There is no refresh or update option. If the contact is a duplicate or isn't there when the SMS is first received, it will stay as just a number instead of a name in the inbox forever.

Good old Nokia. Its a really simple functionality that should be present. I'm surprised their firmware doesn't fix this.

Thanks
    I was terrified of decreasing sales of my business because I was not using any modern marketing approaches and then my sister suggested me to use the bulk SMS method to catch the attention of the customers. She also suggested getting the heymarket business text messaging app. I did exactly what she advised and now I am getting absolutely amazing outcome.