Nokia pure view announced 41mp - Page 2
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    oh it defo got the main interest , its top of gsm arenas interest list as well , i think that along with nokias great work , the lack of anything ''different'' or majorly ''impressive'' was announced to take any light away from nokias great achivement in the optics department

nokia did ok at mwc for sure and gained a lot of positive press which is good for the brand but apart from the samsung beam the others at mwc were a bit ''samey'' unlike the 808
    Exactly!!
    This MWC without the PureView technology introduced could have been labeled as the most boring MWC so far with least innovations ever!

In the tablets department, nothing special at all! A big "meh" and I'm still wondering about it to be honest!
    Did all these OEMS give up on Android in favor of W8, well apart from ZTE and Huawei , or are there more ICS Android tablets coming their way Q2 or later this year?!!

As to the smartphones, nothing changed at all!
    Sony already announced their 2012 flagship in CES, and introduced two lower ends in MWC. Exactly same as last year with Arc and then Neo and Mini in MWC.
    The Xperia S is running GB at launch as well as it will be later upgraded to ISC, and it's featuring 2011 SoC generation, the Qualcomm S3! Why not an S4 or a Tegra-3 it's beyond me. Sony have learned nothing at all! They simply can't expect making any success with producing lower specced devices compared to those running on the same platform! Specially that the Xperia line-up has nothing else to its side at all.

LG will continue to fail. The 4X is a complete GSII rip-off! This is exactly the opposite of innovating.
    And the Vu couldn't have been any worse of a shot meant to compete with the Note!

HTC, they know they lost much ground in 2011. They know why. They tried to act. But it's not enough. They will not grow this year, but rather continue diminishing or stay at the same size.
    Shooting video and stills at the same time is all great, but not enough of a feature to have consumers back on board.
    And other than that, I doubt the effort they did in the camera department will put them any step ahead of the current competition.
    And the focus on design didn't work out much. They still look typical HTC phones but with better quality material unibodies..

ZTE were typical ZTE. Extremely low quality for extremely low prices.
    Huawei definitely did better here and are expected to pass ZTE this year with the work they've done.

And that's it. Apart from Nokia's PureView (and not the 808 itself) zero innovation.
    We all wait now for the GSIII and Samsung.
    I believe they have some surprises for us..

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Morel View Post
    I believe they have some surprises for us..
    48 megapixels!
    https://twitter.com/#!/psychomania66...334656/photo/1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Tran For This Useful Post:

False Morel (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tran View Post
    Ha ha that's about as close as they will get

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Nice one..

Anyway, areas to expect Samsung to deliver some real and big innovations: NFC and Battery!

Meanwhile, there is still the big question urging for an answer regarding this PureView technology:
    Leaving the lossless zooming advantage aside, does the oversampling approach beat the bigger photosites approach to better quality?!

We will get our answer soon I guess!

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Anyone worried about this being on Symbian need worry no longer. There is a plan in place that Nokia's Pureview technology will be placed inside a Nokia Windows Phone. A brand new Lumia or possibly a new name altogether for a Nokia flagship.

Nokia Senior VP: PureView imaging technology coming to our Windows Phones -- Engadget

Thanks
    Call me a luddite- but I like Symbian. Its my OS of choice for this phone.

Great though, if Nokia and Microsoft put Pureview on a Lumia- if only to shut up all those numpties that keep saying how dead symbian is..... yawn, last time I looked at my N8, it seemed to me to be very much alive! cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    Call me a luddite- but I like Symbian. Its my OS of choice for this phone.

Great though, if Nokia and Microsoft put Pureview on a Lumia- if only to shut up all those numpties that keep saying how dead symbian is..... yawn, last time I looked at my N8, it seemed to me to be very much alive! cheers!
    Yep I am like you..l don't have issues with symbian..I have a RAZR which is pretty cool, and I am loving Android but I love using symbian, probably because I am used it and I know what to do.also Belle is a big improvement..I will def get the 808

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    Call me a luddite- but I like Symbian. Its my OS of choice for this phone...
    I prefer symbian as well. But if there were ever a Nokia phone running Android, I'd go for Android....Nokia phone with Windows, I think I'd prefer Symbian

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    i like symbian too , however there are some things id miss from android too much :

# modding the system and full access to system files and things like kernels etc etc
    # apps like tasker that give you ultimate control over things on your phone
    # the web browser is one of the best going and with full streaming via flash and tv out on some devices its a great streaming device
    # lack of choice - if i want a symbian phone now id have to go for the 808 or n8 as they are the best all round packages but still lack in some areas
    # things like 512mb ram yeah symbian is efficent but it doesnt help devs with their programming or symbian with multitasking or lifespan of the device
    # screen resoloution on a 4" display is a bit low and after using android and ios for a while it is very noticeable
    # lack of apps for things like ebay/amazon/kindle etc etc if the browser was better it wouldnt matter but its not so this does effect me
    # 3rd party dev support for modding and apps and games - helps imrpove the lifspan of the device when something new comes out like a new mod or game

like i say i still have a lot of love for symbian it let me do some awesome things with my phone well ahead of its time and took others ages to catch up with what it could actually do , nokia let me down quite badly with the n97 and n8 via support and i also think they could have taken symbian further and quicker so they let me down a bit there however i still have some love for them too and when windows 8 kicks off i will be taking another serious look at them again esepcially when pure view makes it to that platform but at the minute i get the best of both worlds with a tiny decent digi cam and a powerfull android device :-)

thats only for my needs though and i understand other people wont have the same wants and needs as me and the 808 will be right up their street and symbian wont matter to them , i still want to try one , it does look awesome , but living with it everyday i would defo miss lots of bits ive got used to with android

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

Del1701 (03-07-2012), NZtechfreak (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    i like symbian too , however there are some things id miss from android too much :

# modding the system and full access to system files and things like kernels etc etc
    # the web browser is one of the best going and with full streaming via flash and tv out on some devices its a great streaming device
    # lack of choice - if i want a symbian phone now id have to go for the 808 or n8 as they are the best all round packages but still lack in some areas
    # things like 512mb ram yeah symbian is efficent but it doesnt help devs with their programming or symbian with multitasking or lifespan of the device
    # screen resoloution on a 4" display is a bit low and after using android and ios for a while it is very noticeable
    # lack of apps for things like ebay/amazon/kindle etc etc if the browser was better it wouldnt matter but its not so this does effect me
    # 3rd party dev support for modding and apps and games - helps imrpove the lifspan of the device when something new comes out like a new mod or game

like i say i still have a lot of love for symbian it let me do some awesome things with my phone well ahead of its time and took others ages to catch up with what it could actually do , nokia let me down quite badly with the n97 and n8 via support and i also think they could have taken symbian further and quicker so they let me down a bit there however i still have some love for them too and when windows 8 kicks off i will be taking another serious look at them again esepcially when pure view makes it to that platform but at the minute i get the best of both worlds with a tiny decent digi cam and a powerfull android device :-)

thats only for my needs though and i understand other people wont have the same wants and needs as me and the 808 will be right up their street and symbian wont matter to them , i still want to try one , it does look awesome , but living with it everyday i would defo miss lots of bits ive got used to with android

I couldn't agree more Buxz. While my SGII's camera is adequate it is not in the same league image quality wise as my N8 was. It, the better N8 music processing to play music files and the FM transmitter are missed. Symbian's way of doing things, ie the right way or the wrong way is also missed. You learnt how to do something in Symbian and that was how to do it. You learn how to do something in Android and A) it's fairly device specific and B)There is always another/better way.

Having more than a working knowledge of Android and a knowing Symbian just about backwards (although no one will ever be subjected to my coding and Carbide efforts - they are a serious danger to any Symbian phone ) I can say Symbian uses it's hardware frugally and Android is a hardware and battery hog. Which do I prefer ? lets just say for the moment my SGII is irreplaceable and I sold my N8. I still say Elop (he of the 'burning platform' obvious metaphor) got it wrong, Symbian works, works well and is still appearing in great looking devices. He (Elop, Microsoft's man) sowed the seeds of it's death, but I doubt the rest of Nokia will ever let it die. How well that converts to new products bearing Symbian in them beyond 2015 is any one's guess, but the future does look better for Symbian at the present time.
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:

cambo (03-06-2012), Del1701 (03-07-2012), NZtechfreak (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Good posts guys

One of the reasons I still keep coming here after all these years - great forum largely devoid of trolling and the sort of bad behaviour that plagues nearly every other forum out there. Nice to see thoughtful posts from fans and not fanboys.

My sentiments similar really, I definitely won't get this device, but I'm hugely interested in the technology and look forward to seeing it on WP7 when WP7 gets up to scratch for my own needs (perhaps next year?).
    N95 owner since April '07
    Phone 'rig': Samsung Galaxy Note with Sandisk 64GB MicroSDXC, HTC One X, Black N82 V20 firmware HACKED, Samsung HS3000 receiver, Nokia DT-22 tripod, Gorillapod, iGo Ultraslim Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, Phonejoy, Datel Retro Wireless, Zeemote, Dell Bluetooth Mouse, MHL adapter, USB OTG cable, Zephyr HxM BT heart rate monitor!
    Audio rig:
    USB DACs - ASUS Xonar Essence One desktop DAC, FiiO E17 portable, FiiO E7, HeadAmp PICO USB DAC/Amp
    Headphones - Audeze LCD-2, Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD25-I II, ACS T15, AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic T5p

Thanks
    I have to admit I eagerly await the SGIII and a Windows 7 phone that has the specs I want hardware wise. Windows 7 is coming along nicely, much better than I anticipated before Christmas.

I feel with the 808 Nokia has made Symbian a 'test bed' a lets feel the temperature of the the buying 'Joe and Jane Bloggs' of the world. This is hardly the death of Symbian, more like it's second coming. I think Elop finally realised Symbian isn't crap, the R & D resources both time and money (same things really) spent on it must have some return rather than wasted, and more importantly for Nokia as a whole is still needed by them. Belle is a huge leap from Anna and I don't discount Carla for the N8 and E7, which if they can put on them will restore some of my lost faith.

It feels good to be talking about the possibility of Carla for an N8 along with the possibility of Jellybean for the SGII (ICS is days away according to Samsung Israel), it means devices coming up two years old for the N8 and a year old for the SGII are in the medium term future proof. This is good, very good. it means R & D continues with less new, but best in their class for the time being devices and the rush to get more expensive new top end devices into peoples (currently hard up hands) is slowing a little.

In this present economic climate, which we are told is going to get worse before it gets better it is good that all manufacturers have to develop their existing models to keep people loyal. The days of people buying new handsets every year outright with no contracts may be gone. 24month contracts are now the norm here in the UK for high end devices, it feels, and the mood seems to point this way, that a new bang whiz device that instantly blows its predecessor away has gone. Yes the bang whiz device may come along with the same regularity, but older devices seem to be getting more support recently.
    Last edited by dynomot; 03-07-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks

Which is why I'll eventually get an Android tablet. They're better for web browsing, games and media playback. Battery life and media capture are not issues. You can tinker without worry since it's not a primary device.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tran View Post
    Which is why I'll eventually get an Android tablet. They're better for web browsing, games and media playback. Battery life and media capture are not issues. You can tinker without worry since it's not a primary device.
    I doubt very much somebody who knows much about any OS could 'brick' or 'kill' an Android device by tinkering. Even doing something terminally stupid like flashing a different devices firmware (Note on to an SGSII for instance, and it has been done by a few plonkers) is relatively easy to revive. I tinker and swap and change kernels in particular all the time, with nothing more than a rooted device and Clock Work Mod (CWM) and a decent 3G signal. I've never encounted a problem yet I've not been able to resolve by restoring a CWM back up. It can be backed up, mod or kernel downloaded then modded and /or flashed and restored to previous state if need be in ten minutes. Apart from the download time a complete ROM (with kernel) can be done and undone in the same time, just with your device. The only time you need to connect to the PC to flash is on first rooting it. That takes around three minutes from start to finish and is also easy.

Makes flashing with Phoenix look positively dangerous, and it's just as fun !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:

Del1701 (03-07-2012)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks

Still waiting for 808's real life photos..
    The zooming is all great, innovative and new, but the thing I'm after is the oversampling.

Despite all those walk-throughs and interviews about the PureView technology, we still don't know what type of impact this oversampling technique bears!!
    The samples given by Nokia are all impressive regarding digital noise, but the question whether to go for this approach or the bigger sensor approach for better quality is still to be answered!!
    At first I thought oversampling is just an after-thought to pull back as much quality as possible, but there is possibility that with this technology it means better to up the MP and oversample the pixels down to end resolution!!

Thanks
    Looking forward to this.only 5 weeks away.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yeah ive changed me mind and quite looking forwards to it too , i wont be able to buy it straight away but hoping we see some good deals in a few months time / after the summer

really looking forwards to testing the pureview camera out and seeing just how good it is

i still have the concern about battery life but at least it can be removed and swapped if needed and iam loving littele deatails like gorilla glass on the camera lens for once

actually this 808 has made me get back into symbian with a n8 and even though some things can be a pain ie web browser and only one way dlna some things like battery , camera , signal , call quality , music quality etc are really really nice to have

iam on the verge of writting a big piece about how feel about mobile phones and what ive discovered about my own useage over the last year - year and a half which has suprised me quite a bit

24. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

cambo (03-29-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Looking forward to this.only 5 weeks away.
    I don't need it until July 11 for Comic Con. I hope there aren't any delays.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    yeah ive changed me mind and quite looking forwards to it too , i wont be able to buy it straight away but hoping we see some good deals in a few months time / after the summer
    From what I am hearing it will not be carried by networks in the UK, similar to the N9 release. Seems for us "It's all Lumia, baby!" for the future.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    From what I am hearing it will not be carried by networks in the UK, similar to the N9 release. Seems for us "It's all Lumia, baby!" for the future.
    That's exasperating news. Why on earth are they doing that? If they think people who want it will hang on and wait for the imaging module to appear on a Lumia model, they are nuts - and by the time that happens, I wouldn't be surprised if the competition hadn't come up with something that is almost as good.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i spose with symbian getting bad press its a hard choice for networks to bulk buy / stock up on the 808 for example cpw stick cleared all there n8s and e7s at £200 at the start of the year just to shift them , they must have lost money

iam all up for buying one buy i can understand (kind of) why uk networks might not stock them on contracts but id expect mobile fun / play /amazon / expansys / etc to be able to get them , what the warranty will be like though i dont know

its a shame if its not stocked as it could be a decent phone

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    It'll be like the N9 I suppose - you can get them in Europe but you have to pay through the nose for it.

I can understand networks not stocking the N9 because of it's unique O/S, but the networks do stock other Symbian stuff, albeit S40, and you can still get the N8 in many places. The Nokia ecosystem is the same across Symbian so the 808 isn't left out in the cold in that sense. I guess it's not being perceived as a mass market product by the networks - pretty much a niche device for camera phone obsessives.

Thanks
    iam all up for buying one buy i can understand (kind of) why uk networks might not stock them on contracts but id expect mobile fun / play /amazon / expansys / etc to be able to get them , what the warranty will be like though i dont know
    If they sell handsets with EU product codes you get the 24 month EU-wide warranty, no issues there.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    I can understand networks not stocking the N9 because of it's unique O/S, but the networks do stock other Symbian stuff, albeit S40, and you can still get the N8 in many places. The Nokia ecosystem is the same across Symbian so the 808 isn't left out in the cold in that sense. I guess it's not being perceived as a mass market product by the networks - pretty much a niche device for camera phone obsessives.
    To be accurate, S40 is not Symbian, but that's beside the point. My feeling is that this is more a Nokia decision than a network decision. They just want to push WP in the "developed" markets as much as they can - we've all seen the statistics about WP sales overtaking Symbian sales in the UK. They are throwing everything into WP, because if that fails there will be no platform left, never mind burning or not.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (03-30-2012)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I take your point, but the trouble is that there is no compelling reason to buy into Windows Phone now, in fact there a more reasons not to go for a Lumia than there are to get one if you are a camera fanatic. The only really unique thing Nokia have to offer now is the 808. By making it not easily available, Nokia are driving people to Apple, Samsung, Sony etc.

When the imaging module arrives in a Lumia, then it's a different story, but how long could be waiting for that?

Thanks
    I personally do not see myself buying a WP phone ever, given the current restrictions of both OS and hardware. At present Symbian does all I want in the most convenient way for me.

I do not agree with the decision to withold the 808 from certain markets, I definitely want to have one. I hope I am wrong about the rumours I'm hearing.

I don't see this module appearing in a WP phone this year and 7.5 definitely cannot support it.

Thanks
    I reckon some carriers will surely support the Pureview- the camera itself is a unique selling point.

Personally, I buy my phone outright and just keep an airtime contract going with T-mobile to keep monthly costs down- so i'm not bothered.

I do a lot of photography- but to move from my N8 to the Pureview?? -I'll need to be convinced its worth it.

Could wait another year happily and no doubt there will be an even bigger sensor and better technology.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i reckon voda will stock it they have a good history of stocking nokia phones like the n900 etc but i spose it all depends on wether nokia let anyone sell it in the uk as well like 93 said they are pushing windows to the max over here so maybe they will ban it from networks sale

i do the same as you now navvarr and buy my phones outright and use giffgaff as my network provider now which works well for me and offers me unlimited internet at crazy prices , i just sell the old phone and put some cash towards the new one and it works great

i also do a lot of photos and the n8 is doing its job well , iam thinking i can get some extra mileage out of it and see what happens in the near future , ive done the whole rushing out on release day thing a few times and everytime ive wished id waitied a bit and grabbed a better deal so iam defo holding off this time and see where the prices go or what other tech nokia manage to bring out with pureview ill defo be itching for one by summer/winter though or when they hit the sheleves and i see them lol :-)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Carriers taking the 808 is still a rumor, but whether happening or not, it's not because of Nokia deliberately going for it so that Symbian won't eat from WP's share..
    No one does business like that! It's like shooting oneself in the foot!!

If the 808 has potential in Europe, there is no single doubt that Nokia will push it all the way and carriers would welcome it on board..
    But those recent stats meant only one thing: Symbian is dead in Europe. It gave its last breath. It's history now.
    I'm still in disbelief at how fast did that happen!!

And like the N9, the 808 is only meant to demonstrate muscle power!!
    Bring investors and share holders back, hype the Nokia brand once again, win the attention of the average Joe as well as the media and enthusiasts again..
    But never meant to sell in the millions..

And that's why I was against revealing PureView now and rather better leave it for a WP debut even if this meant Q4 2012 or MWC 2013!! It's not a lot of time.. Not at all!!
    It's just that it would have much more impact like that. To debut on the device that it's meant to sell on, and reach the bases through!!

Just like what happened with the N9-Lumia case, the Lumia lost much of its spark because of the N9 before it!
    Imagine if the Lumia was announced at Nokia World 2011 just like the N9 was announced in Nokia Connect few months before it!!

It would have sold as double I believe!! All the hype and craziness about the N9 would have been all Lumia's to enjoy!!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    not so sure about that as people loved the o/s from the n9 something the 800 is missing , the buttonless o/s is what people were going mad about and all the swyping

maybe the 800 would have done a bit better but saying it would have had all the n9s success is a bit much , meego has a big following anyways , i know from owning the n900 for a year , people had been waiting for the n9 since the n900 hence the huge want for it , just check out the meego forums te n9 was wanted/expected for ages

i honestly dont think the n9 effected 800 sales that much at all

nokia still drummed up some excitement for it when elop secretly revealed it on camera , saying ''it looks like the n9 right but this is nokia 1st windows phone''

i think the reason windows has been slow is because of missing features like mico sd slot and other things like limited bluetooth etc well thats the reason i didnt buy one and my friends too and a lot of other people i read comments from on the web

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    MobileFun are saying they will have the Pureview 808 for release on 7th May and it will cost a whopping £540. I don't believe that will be the final price point for the phone but that's a heck of a lot money. Carphone Warehouse has also updated its website to show the phone as expected in May. However Unlocked-Mobiles has it listing as a reasonable £465 with a shipping date of April 23rd.

Sim Free Nokia 808 PureView

Nokia 808 PureView Sim Free | Unlocked Mobiles

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Just saw this and i feel like i should buy it as a one-off purchase! Anybody else tempted or is it just me?

Nokia releases a commercial shot entirely with the 808 PureView (video) -- Engadget

Nokia's released a new commercial that it says is shot entirely using an 808 PureView and then catch yourself seriously weighing up buying a Symbian phone for your next handset, just like we are.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSuper For This Useful Post:

nutley (04-21-2012)

Thanks
    They had me at 41MP...

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Another ad for the the Pureview 808 this time taking a closer look at the actual handset

Nokia 808 PureView - The next breakthrough in photography - YouTube

Thanks
    i Want to Buy nokia 800 Pureview Mobile From Amazon India Website. On An Online Blog I Found An Interesting Article About Amazon Great Indian Sale. Is this Smartphone Available on Amazon during this Sale. Please Help Me For Purchase this Phone.

Thanks
    Only you can check that locally with Amazon India.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12