Ebay prices for Pureview and a question.
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

Ebay prices for Pureview and a question.

I'm noticing on ebay some sellers offering US versions of the Pureview at very competitive prices..

New Nokia 808 Pureview Quad 41MP HSPDA GPS 16GB Black Phone | eBay

What would be the difference in buying a US version- if its unlocked- will ym UK T-mobile sim work in it?

Also I read somewhere that you can change the product code using Phoenix - whats to stop someone buying this US version and then using Phoenix to change the product code?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    You might want to avoid a US 808. Joikuspot doesn't work.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    thats a much better price then what amazon were selling for recently , they wanted near on £600 for the black version for about 10 days before dropping it to just under £500 like the white version is

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Let's not forget the regional warranty matter. For that sort of cash I would like to have the 24-month EU warranty on my Pureview.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Let's not forget the regional warranty matter. For that sort of cash I would like to have the 24-month EU warranty on my Pureview.
    yep there is that , the 2 weeks it will take to turn up , the fact you might have to flash eu firmware and risk a brick device via firmware conflicts and phoneix , if this happends finding a dead flash method and firmware that works with your 808 to bring it back to life

id defo be a bit put off by all that but the pricing is much better :-)

iam still looking forwards to a windows 8 flagship with pureview and too see how it can do in the market , i reckon it could do quite well and a phone like that would probably bring me back to be a nokia user in the future for sure , lets just hope windows 8 is a much more finished item then windows 7 and that nokia can get pureview adapted to it sooner rather then later :-)

Thanks
    Can anyone tell me - is there any difference between a US and a UK Pureview- I mean in terms of - can i put my T-mobiile sim into one and it will work - access the network- use 3G etc etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    AFAIK there is no difference.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tran View Post
    You might want to avoid a US 808. Joikuspot doesn't work.
    That is an FCC restriction applied by US carriers within the USA and not a handset firmware restriction. Joikuspot will not work on any 808 if used in the US.

1) It doesn't matter where you get your Nokia 808 PureView from, ie it doesn't matter if it's a US, Singapore or Finnish variant.. If you are using that device on a network/carrier in the US, the device recognises this and is not going to allow you to make Ad-Hoc wlan connections, as per the regulations set out by the FCC.

2) I understand (this I am not certain on) that the FCC regulations came into force in 2011. Therefore for any device manufacturer since then, the device is not allowed to create Ad-Hoc networks otherwise the device manufacturer wouldn't get FCC approval.

3) The FCC restrictons are in this case technically talking about Ad-Hoc networks, not 'wifi direct' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct) networks that are used for example in Lumia 610/710/800/900.

4) I understand the US Variants of Nokia 808 PureView do not have JoikuSpot preinstalled.

5) I understand that US customers are not able to purchase JoikuSpot from Nokia Store.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

cambo (08-15-2012)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well my 808 is a UK version and JoikuSpot doesn't function either. However, that is simply because the network I am using it on specifically bans 'Tethering'. If you use a network that allows tethering or use a sim for that purpose then it does work. Why you'd want to I cannot imagine though.

Cheers