To be completely honest...
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

To be completely honest...

I'm struggling to justify keeping my Pureview.

As some of you know, I'm a keen Nokia fan, I enjoy walking and take my phone with me wherever I go, using sportstracker to record my GPS and taking photos and videos of anything that interests me.

I headed out last Wednesday and did just that... the results for me are a mixed bag.

The GPS is pretty solid- it tracked my movements very accurately. -I was able to compair it with my old N8 and it was the same- the odd glitch here and there- but very pleased with the result.

I obviously took lots of photos as I was walking and switched between Pureview and Full resolution just to experiment and try things out- I personally couldn't see any difference when I view the pictures on my PC. Indeed, my N8 could take just as good pictures as the camera module on the 808.
    I tried out the close up mode (macro) and I personally found the camera to be really not very good. I struggled to get the camera to focus on a flower. My old N8 would generally auto focus in macro mode and generally take a pretty good snap. I did get the results with the Pureview- but again, no better than my N8 could produce.

Heading home, we stopped off wher my wife keeps her horse and I decided to mess about with the video mode. I'd taken some video the previous evening and was pretty happy with the results.
    This time, however, I started off by videoing a couple of horses about 20meters away and panned round to zoom in on my wife's horse about 70meters away. The results were very unimpressive- the colour of the grass became quite washed out at full 1080 zoom and the horse was a pretty fuzzy- not at all impressed was I.
    I took a bit more video, just zooming in and out and each time, the colours would washout at full zoom- focus wasn't that great either.

Now, I'm new to the Pureview- I really want it to be the camera phone to do me for a few years and the reviews I've read have really swayed me to buy this phone. However, I'm not seeing results at the moment and frankly, I'm not that impressed at all.
    Perhaps I need to start messing about with the settings more?!- But then, when I used my N8, I had no need to go into all the sub menus ISO, etc etc to get great pictures! -so I don't expect to have to do so with the Pureview.

I sat tonight and took photos with my N8 and the Pureview (mainly close ups) -the results for the N8 were pretty good. The results for my Pureview were pretty poor.
    For example, I took an apple and snapped with each- the N8 took a niceish clean picture - whereas the Pureview really struggled to focus on something so simple.
    Also, the N8 will focus fromfar closer than the Pureview - which means you don't really have to zoom -whereas on the Pureview I'm half clicking then using zoom before getting a picture.

I'm open minded, maybe I have a faulty Pureview- maybe I need to mess about with settings more?- perhaps you guys with Pureviews could try a simple test- take a photo of an Apple in macro mode- so it fills the screen and see how the photo looks.

In addition to all this- my Pureview seems to suffer from the same Wlan bug (keeps disconnecting then reconnecting) as a few people who own Pureviews.
    Last edited by NAVVARR; 08-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Surprised your not enjoying it.I have done lots of photo comparisons with my 808 and my n8 and found the,808 far superior..the more you play around with it,I am sure your experience will improve

Thanks
    I suspect I might have been sent a faulty Pureview from Amazon. When I received the phone and put my Sim into it, it started up and I never got the menu asking me what timezone, date etc etc. This might have happened if it had been a return and the phone just sent off to the next mug (me).

I'm actually very disappointed- relly wanted the phone to be as good as the reviews- but when you are taking closeups of something as simple as an apple and the phone focuses then defocuses just before it takes the picture- something isn't right. I've loads of experience of using other Nokia cameras (N95, N86, N8) - but my Pureview model just didn't come up to scratch.

Everything else aside- lovely phone, smaller than I though, great build quality, smooth and very easy to use.
    Could have done with a FW upgrade- since the gallery was very poor to use- but I'm sure that will come in time.

I've returned the phone as faulty to Amazon - put off for the moment of buying a new one- I'll maybe come back to Nokia Pureview when it comes to the lumia W8 range in the near future.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    the close-up are indeed on the N8 easer, for the rest mine 808 make better photo's then the n8. (imo)
    for the closeup I'm still looking for the right settings.

ps. good luck with the new phone

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Just got mine today and have spent most of the day messing about with it. No micro sim yet, my provider has sent one so I just have to wait. I have noticed a few differences in this version of Belle but only minor and have managed to cusomise it to almost the same as my N8 by transferring files. I have had a little play with the camera and so far so good, not really used it in anger yet, just browsed and had a play about. I like the rapid shot thing....pretty good.
    Yup my connection to WiFi is pants!! cannot connect and I KNOW the settings are correct. However I am not put off just yet. I like the feel of it and will have a better play when me sim arrives.

Cheers

Just had a photo in the dark session in the garden.............well I am impressed! Guess I got a good one either that or I know instinctively how to use the thing. The custom settings are excellent....so many ways of getting a decent shot. Took 20 and varied each one using as many of the setting variable as I could. All came out a damn sight better than my N8. I can see I am going to have some fun.....yet another hard drive full of my snaps. Wife won't be impressed.

Solved the WiFi problem.....don't know how but it now connects no problem. During my messing about I have noticed a few niggles but I'll reserve comment on those until I am more used to it.
    Last edited by TQ335; 08-24-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Add info

Thanks
    Good to hear you have a good one. I had the Wlan problem and managed to get round it by disabling 'Power saving' in the settings. It didn't fully solve the problem, but it did make a difference.

For the time I had my Pureview I noticed that the FM transmitter was a lot stronger- playing more clearly in my car radio- which was welcome.
    Battery life too was excellent- after a couple of hours walking, taking photos and running my GPS with sportstracker- my phone dropped from 100% to 88%- which was amazing.

I've heard rumours that Nokia have an announcement due 5th September- to do with the new Lumia W8 phones and Pureview. I'm going to hold off and see what Nokia has to offer.

Enjoy your Pureviews guys- really pleased your enjoying your phones- keen to hear any feedback on just how good a fully working Pureview can be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

cambo (08-24-2012)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well got me sim and other stuff sorted out. I seem to be having an issue with some web sites that I want to use because they do not recognise me phone. I think its a service provider issue though. One good thing about this 808 is that my pigs tits for fingers issue with the N8 has been resolved. I am using me 808 to send this.

Regarding the camera.....I am very happy with this machine, it does what I want, ok there are a few issues but only minor and they may be resolved in due course. The biggest hassle is the micro sim. To get a decent deal I have had to go to a provider that..surprise surprise does not recognise purview. So I am using a sim and package for I phone.....spit!! However, it's working ok just some minor software issues on non used apps that come with the phone....like Nokia store and similar but I think its me browser that's the problem. Opera.

One real bonus........with the n8 when making a call I had to use the slide button to maintain the call detail on the screen during the call, now the phone senses it and blanks the screen when I lift it to me ear and un blanks when I pull it down to hang up. Nice.....I like a lot.

Cheers
    Last edited by TQ335; 08-26-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Editing

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Ok its a few days now and I have discovered that I cannot get the GPS to function. I downloaded Google Maps and selected the GPS function and the programe told me that the GPS was not present..............eeekk. I have tried everything but have completely run out of ideas. When I open Maps they just keep seeking position. I have tried on line and off line nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Before I ship it back?

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    mine gps sometimes drops, but for 98% it works....
    but, you do know you must select A-gps?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well what a dumb sh1t I am........solved............I didn't have the 'find my location' selection on in the settings.......duhhhhh

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    Well what a dumb sh1t I am........solved............I didn't have the 'find my location' selection on in the settings.......duhhhhh
    thanks for your honesty

Nokia User
    Thanks

Thanks
    Don't worry there were lots of people who didn't realise as well, on other forums

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Don't worry there were lots of people who didn't realise as well, on other forums
    I should have known better, I have been usin Belle for some time on my N8 so there's no excuse. But now it is working and pretty good too. I relied on my N8 Maps and Drive quite a bit and for me its an important feature that I use quite a bit so I am pretty releived that I finaly got it sorted.

So far, I am impressed with it and for me the larger screen, camera/video is well good. One thing though, I am not too sure wehter I like the photo editing feature not being a sepperate item but integrated. I think it's too 'intertwined' but I guess I'll get used to it. One definate upside I have noticed though is that Excel Workbooks operate better. On me N8 I had to use Smart Office because otherwise it was just so clunky it became un useable. I downloaded MS Office for mobile from Nokia and now it works fine. One other thing I notice and which is pretty obvious realy is that if you have high overhead wallpapers on your home screens then transition between them is noticably slower than on N8 [Belle]. I have just opted for plain Black and that seems to work just fine.

Cheers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

cambo (08-28-2012)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    but when you are taking closeups of something as simple as an apple and the phone focuses then defocuses just before it takes the picture- something isn't right. I've loads of experience of using other Nokia cameras (N95, N86, N8) - but my Pureview model just didn't come up to scratch.
    Well here it is!
    I can't assure you 100%, but usually when a camera does that, focus and then defocus at the last moment, this is a faulty AF system!

My current HD7 does that btw. Specially on macro mode where it needs to focus on something..

I can't tell the causes for that specially that AF on smartphones is different than stand-alone cameras and professional cameras..
    But mine really took several and big hits! This might be it.

Too late now you sent the phone back. But if you uploaded some samples, could you link me to those?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Morel View Post
    Well here it is!
    I can't assure you 100%, but usually when a camera does that, focus and then defocus at the last moment, this is a faulty AF system!

My current HD7 does that btw. Specially on macro mode where it needs to focus on something..

I can't tell the causes for that specially that AF on smartphones is different than stand-alone cameras and professional cameras..
    But mine really took several and big hits! This might be it.

Too late now you sent the phone back. But if you uploaded some samples, could you link me to those?
    After reading this I thought that I would check mine out and put it through a few tests. I placed it in 'Scene' Mode, selected 'Flash OFF' and went to first depression to bring up the focus grid. The grid was RED indicating wrong focus/too close so I moved the camera back a tad until it became Green. I then adjusted Zoom to bring it closer and then took the shot. I also got a little 'snick' - weak sound - whenever the AF was working. The result seemed to me to be just fine. The only bad thing about this is hat I have a protective cover on my phone body and it is too rigid over the camera button. The on screen button is too cumbersome and due to the holding position there is a definite increased tendency to 'Shake' the camera either during the shot or post focus. No a brilliant photo eh?

Adaptor.jpg

Thanks
    I've been using the on screen button to get around camera shake.

I'm still not used to taking macro photos. The N8 set up a habit of getting close. I'll get used to using 1 ft distance and using zoom.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    What is the minimum focussing distance of the 808 by the way? I haven't seen many macro photos from it.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    What is the minimum focussing distance of the 808 by the way? I haven't seen many macro photos from it.
    Here are a few photos I done today, I am still playing about but I think you might get the gist.

2012-09-04-0130_Q1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-09-04-0129.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-08-26-0077 ColorizIt 2012-8-28_5-14-50.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-09-05-0143.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Iam still messing about when I have the time but my view is that given time I might achieve a pretty good result. So far my opinion is simply that the camera is far better than I am and I am learning and trying to cope but it's fun. If you take the time to consider what you are trying to achieve then the results are easily gained. I'll try a few more macros.

Cheers

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

cambo (09-05-2012), doshunnN85 (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    Here are a few photos I done today, I am still playing about but I think you might get the gist.

2012-09-04-0130_Q1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-09-04-0129.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-08-26-0077 ColorizIt 2012-8-28_5-14-50.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2012-09-05-0143.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Iam still messing about when I have the time but my view is that given time I might achieve a pretty good result. So far my opinion is simply that the camera is far better than I am and I am learning and trying to cope but it's fun. If you take the time to consider what you are trying to achieve then the results are easily gained. I'll try a few more macros.

Cheers
    Hi there, nice shots ! What settings were you using to take the macro of the yellow flowers ? I've been trying all day to take macros but none have come out anywhere as good as yours have.. Do you have any tips please ?
    Pressing Thanks doesnt really hurt... Does it? Click it and find out!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doshunnN85 View Post
    Hi there, nice shots ! What settings were you using to take the macro of the yellow flowers ? I've been trying all day to take macros but none have come out anywhere as good as yours have.. Do you have any tips please ?
    For the 'Close Ups' I have been using the 'Scene' setting. I point to the target from about 12" but you can easily tell if you are too close because the graticule [box] will remain red. Once it goes green, I then moved back a tad and tapped the screen to zoom. If you zoom too much you cannot get the focus to go green. Then shoot. I am still playing but there is the easy way and the hard way. Easy way is do it on Auto and the hard way is to use the Creative mode and for that you will have to have a good understanding of ISO/F stops - depth of field / shutter speed etc. Or just 'bracket' the shots and post produce until you get it right most of the time.

I managed to pull this info of if it is of use:

Filename - 2012-09-04-0130.jpg
    Make - Nokia
    Model - 808 PureView
    Orientation - Top left
    XResolution - 300
    YResolution - 300
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    DateTime - 2012:09:04 09:32:19
    YCbCrPositioning - Centered
    ExifOffset - 178
    ExposureTime - 1/181.6 seconds
    FNumber - 2.40
    ISOSpeedRatings - 64
    ExifVersion - 0220
    DateTimeOriginal - 2012:09:04 09:32:19
    DateTimeDigitized - 2012:09:04 09:32:19
    ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/182 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 2.40
    LightSource - Auto
    Flash - Flash not fired, auto mode
    FocalLength - 8.02 mm
    SubsecTime - 730
    SubsecTimeOriginal - 730
    SubsecTimeDigitized - 730
    FlashPixVersion - 0100
    ColorSpace - sRGB
    ExifImageWidth - 3072
    ExifImageHeight - 1728
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Auto
    White Balance - Auto
    DigitalZoomRatio - 2.46 x
    SceneCaptureType - Standard
    GainControl - Low gain up

Cheers

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Well, I've just taken the plunge for a second time and bought another Nokia 808 Pureview.

Bought it for £375 from ebay from a seller selling a brand new device- a very good price, should hopefully arrive this Monday.

I've read so much about how great this camera is- I've not been put off by my initial bad experience with it- Really looking forward to getting to grips with one again.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

cambo (10-06-2012)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    Well, I've just taken the plunge for a second time and bought another Nokia 808 Pureview.
    Bought it for £375 from ebay from a seller selling a brand new device- a very good price, should hopefully arrive this Monday.
    I've read so much about how great this camera is- I've not been put off by my initial bad experience with it- Really looking forward to getting to grips with one again.
    Well I hope you get a better deal this time. I'm sure you were just unlucky.