Who needs sex
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Who needs sex

Nokia User
    Thanks

Who needs sex

I am having so much fun with the camera both home and at work. Some of the facilities are amazing and the quality much better than I expected. I am finding it a bit cumbersome to alter settings per shot but am getting better. Wish my artistic side was better though. So far my plus points for this gizmo are:

1. Camera is ace, far better than expected.
    2. Larger screen makes life much easier.
    3. The mail function beats me N8 hands down.
    4. MS Office works ok.
    5. Keyboard is better tuned for pigs tits.
    6. The sensor on the screen during calls is very good.

Bad or not so good issues:

1. The camera lens is unprotected and I fear liable to too much wear and tear.
    2. When writing in landscape mode my left hand fingers mess up the camera lens.
    3. The phone call speaker volume is sh1t!! Even at full volume.......no I aint deaf.
    4. Considering its a Belle although a new phone, it is in some respects confusingly different. Nokia have included sufficient capacity to cater for those who seem to think that the Iphone is the way. This phone is far superior and for reasons that will, in itme become clear to all.

The one single thing that makes this phone the only viable option is simply because the owner can have total control independant from the producer. My phone is un branded open to any network and devoid of all 'big brother' crap (removed). At this moment I am happy at paying £480 for it .......worth every penny. Last month I spent over a grand on a DSLR and necessary gear, sold it on at a loss. Should have gone to specsavers eh?

Hope this is of some interest but hey...........at my age sex is out the window anyhow. Lol
    Last edited by TQ335; 08-28-2012 at 11:05 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

cambo (08-28-2012), Del1701 (08-29-2012), False Morel (08-30-2012), fredw (08-29-2012), NAVVARR (08-28-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Nice input TQ335..

How easy would you judge the 808's lens to get cleaned?! Is it Gorilla glass btw on the outer shell like the N8?

This is all encouraging really. To have such high quality camera within your smartphone!!

And a very curious question, and a bit off-topic, but you could briefly share your story with that sold and young DSLR of yours and reasons for that disappointment?
    That's if there is something for all of us to learn about from the story, regarding DSLRs. If it was for something personal, then you can skip the question of course..

Nokia User
    Thanks
    How easy would you judge the 808's lens to get cleaned?! Is it Gorilla glass btw on the outer shell like the N8?
    I think it is and I had no issues on the N8 except for the odd stray speck when I didn't ensure it was clean before use. That is I think essential for low light and night use.

This is all encouraging really. To have such high quality camera within your smartphone!!
    I have been playing about quite a bit with the Custom Settings and doing Close Ups etc. I have read a lot of the reviews by those who have put it through their tests and so far I am very pleased with the results I can get if I try hard enough and concentrate. Although I am by no means expert at it, the camera function does offer a lot and it is significantly easier to get a decent photo with the 808 than it was with the N8. The only issue I think you need to be aware of is that this phone camera is either good for the happy snapper or good for those who want to be more artistic but you cannot be both at the same time. If you are a happy snapper and expect stupendous results then you might not see the differences. If you are more 'dedicated to the art of photography' then you might find having this phone in your pocket to be a very useful tool. The only major consideration with this camera is that you need to make sure you do hold it very steady and consider what you are trying to achieve. You need to understand and use all the custom facilities available to get the best possible shot.

And a very curious question, and a bit off-topic, but you could briefly share your story with that sold and young DSLR of yours and reasons for that disappointment?
    Yes, I bought a Nikon D5100 Digital SLR at £556.20 with a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG £297.00 optimised telephoto. The camera Excellent, the lens even better but a lot of money and me wife was moaning about it. Also, I gave up my photography interests a number of years ago when I realised my limits of capability had been reached [Sad but true]. I used to be a fan of Olympus 35mm [before the days of digital] but gave up because of cost and my excessive errors. Then along came digital and I renewed my interest but after a while lost interest again [2 years] until I got a N95 8GB. Then a N8 and my interest has started again. I saved and ordered the Nikon with the intent of spending more time on photography. I used it for a few weeks then realised that I'd made a mistake. When I got the 808 I understood why.

I am just not the type to deliberately set about composing a shot or to go looking for the right scenario. My artistic ability is in reality not very good. I can probably achieve one good artistic shot in 200 [that pleases me that is] which is why I packed in 35mm in the first place!!!! Why would I carry around a lumpy Nikon with a bag and a hefty lens just to get perhaps one in 200? It's too inconvenient to lug about all the time and in reality I have not the time or inclination to go out specifically to take photographs. That is no longer me. What I want is a decent camera that STAYS on my body all the time wherever I am so that when I need it or want it then it is there right away in my hand.

When I tried out the 808 I realised that the qualities of the camera were just right for me and what I perceive I need. It therefor makes no sense to keep the expensive Nikon. The only advantage that gave me at all was that using it made me concentrate more on taking the shot and I was less careless.

I know you can get very good small digital cameras that would offer me a similar facility but its another item to carry. The 808 gives me everything I need in one package that never leaves my side. My personal use priority list would be:

1. Phone
    2. Text
    3. Mail
    4. Camera
    5. Maps/GPS
    6. MS Office
    7. Web
    8. Music
    9. Specific Aps for Conversions/Data Calcs
    10. Clock - Alarm.

All of that in my pocket wherever I am.

That's if there is something for all of us to learn about from the story, regarding DSLRs. If it was for something personal, then you can skip the question of course..
    Money is getting tight for everyone and I saved for me camera with every intent on sticking with N8 but the hard reality is that I didn't think carefully enough. Then realised my mistake - got the 808 and ditched the camera. I am glad I did - lol so is the missus...

Hope that helps

Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

False Morel (08-31-2012)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    In the UK, this month's "What Digital Camera" has a head-to-head of the 808 (£450) and the Nikon D800 SLR (£2250) and in terms of image quality at the fixed focal length, the 808 really does hold it's own. An amazing feat.

DPReview.com also gave it a gold award - amazing as they don't often dish those out. Even the Sony RX100, reputedly SLR-quality in your pocket, only got a silver.

I'm just waiting for the price to slip....

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    In the UK, this month's "What Digital Camera" has a head-to-head of the 808 (£450) and the Nikon D800 SLR (£2250) and in terms of image quality at the fixed focal length, the 808 really does hold it's own. An amazing feat.

DPReview.com also gave it a gold award - amazing as they don't often dish those out. Even the Sony RX100, reputedly SLR-quality in your pocket, only got a silver.

I'm just waiting for the price to slip....
    well that is what I did but although I saved a bit I am not sure it will go too much lower that at present. But I can say one thing with absolute certainty - even if it drops considerably below the price I paid, I will have no bad feelings about buying when I did. I reckon I got good value and still do a couple of weeks further on. I have found my way about it now - well better than at first - and I am still impressed. As I said in another post in another thread, any disappointment is down to my inadequacy.

Go for it, I honestly do not think you will be disappointed.

Cheers