Feature Pack 2
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Feature Pack 2

Thanks

Feature Pack 2

Feature Pack 2 has hit navifirm.

Unfortunately for me, phoenix won't recognize it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    I don't see FP2 in navifirm. If you mean v112.20.310 that's still FP1. I've got it on mine.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I don't register it either but I think I already have it, if you are referring to th MS mobile office pack of gear. Which by the way works very well on the 808.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    I don't see FP2 in navifirm. If you mean v112.20.310 that's still FP1. I've got it on mine.
    113.10.1506 is up
    That's FP2 with the new lock screen, keyboard and music player. I already downloaded it, but can't get phoenix to recognize my 808, so no install.

Thanks
    Still don't see it, must have been pulled.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

Thanks
    I downloaded it before it got pulled, but I can't find a working version of phoenix to read my 808

Thanks
    So I found a working version of phoenix. Installed FP2.

VERY IMPRESSED

There's a changelog up on AAS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Tran For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    It must be due for main release soon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tran View Post
    So I found a working version of phoenix. Installed FP2.

VERY IMPRESSED

There's a changelog up on AAS
    Wow ! Just checked out the changelog you posted and I cant wait !! The improvements are massive ! In almost every area of the phone too ! Really looking forward !

But have you come across anything that isnt positive ? Any idea why they pulled it off Navifirm ? And which Phoenix version works on the 808 ?
    Pressing Thanks doesnt really hurt... Does it? Click it and find out!

Thanks
    version 2012.24.000.48366

Some negatives:
    The old keyboard shows up some in old apps, like Foursquare
    An old sms bug where if the conversation is huge and new messages stay new after reading them.
    Still no gapless playback.

FP2 might be up on navifirm again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Tran For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (09-16-2012)

Thanks
    version 2012.24.000.48366

Some negatives:
    The old keyboard shows up some in old apps, like Foursquare
    An old sms bug where if the conversation is huge and new messages stay new after reading them.
    Still no gapless playback.

FP2 might be up on navifirm again.
    The messages error happens on my 808 FP1 too, happened only once soo far. Even after opening the message and reading it, it stayed at the top of my homescreen(envoloppe icon) and even in locked/screensaver mode. I had to delete the message to get rid of it.. Thanks I'll have a check on navifirm later - which phoenix version worked with the 808 ?

Thanks
    Grabbing 113.10.1507 off navifirm right now. Please fix the 3G bug...

Thanks
    Grabbing 113.10.1507 off navifirm right now. Please fix the 3G bug...
    Just checked and I've got the 112.10.1507 version installing on my 808 right now ! Doing it via OTA. White screen and blue bar filling up saying "Downloading" right now.. What problem did you have with the 3G ?

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Ok update done, after faster restart than usual, it checked for "additional improvements to your nokia 808...." and now updating the calendar, microsoft apps to 2.01 and the social app. The overall interface and scrolling through homescreens feels slightly smoother(less jerky - not that it was that much to begin with). From the locked position, swiping gesture to unlock is very smooth. Overall looking good, after a day of usage I'll get back here and update you guys with the pros and cons. Otherwise, any questions, fire away

Thanks
    >There's a changelog up on AAS

How do you get into the Device Manager screen that he shows?
    I do not get the Lock Screen, the only way that I can unlock is with the slider button.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The update is now available UK via Nokia Suite - downloading right now.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

First impression:

[1] Download via Nokia Suite - fine no issues - reasonably quick.
    [2] New 'Social' APP fails to 'close' - i have removed from phone.
    [3] New Keyboard - not too bad but still evaluating - I was just getting used to the other one.......
    [4] Gallery Views -LIKE the addition of the photo information - that is very useful. Also the scrolling is faster much faster.
    [5] Swipe - hmmmmm not what I expected at all but I think it will be useful though I suspect I will use the slide.
    [6] Video Edit - well do you know, I already had this so see nothing different.
    [7] Drive - not too sure I'll use that but still investigating this bit.
    [8] Nokia Music - again, not too sure I will bother with this.
    [9] Calendar - again I already had this so see nothing new.
    [10] Transparency of Menu's - now this is a help in particular when using the camera and changing modes mid shoot.

Overall - not too bad but will comment later as to which I feel are the best/worst bits. I think I have a lot of the 'enhancements' from scratch anyway so don't know what I expected.

Thanks
    Enjoy, since it looks like this the last update to come for Symbian, based on this discussion on the Nokia developer site:

Bug 1030 – Nokia Drive view for 'Just Drive' selection

"Symbian is in maintenance mode and no new features will be implement without extremely good reason ( business case). We have written down your ideas for future development if there is a chance that new features will be released."

It seems like Symbian has reached the end of the road and only critical bug fixes are to be expected.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    When using the new keyboard for text insertion the auto text on the bar is excellent. I could never master predictive this is a big help to me. I am sure its safe for me to say that I am pleased

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    i dont really like feaure pack 2 to be honest , infact iam returning my 808 and hoping i get one with feature pack1 on it again , for me the biggest issue is the t9 keyboard if i didnt use this it would be fine but i do a lot of txting through the t9 keyboard and the new t9 keyboard is the worst i have ever used

everything else is fine but it is a big issue for me and is covered by someone elses comments from aas

I'm finding the design of the T9/Alphanumeric keyboard in Belle FP2 (on my 808) MUCH worse than the old keyboard.

Contrary to popular belief, LOTS of people use the T9/Alphanumeric keyboard, and find it the fastest and easiest way to type. While I like FP2 generally, and appreciate the changes to the keyboard improve the experience for portrait or landscape Qwerty, for the T9/Alphanumeric, they have unfortunately made it considerably slower and more difficult, irritating and frustrating to use.

1.) The worst thing is that rather than being able to tap the bottom left number key to get alternative words for the key sequence you've pressed, you now get the list of words to choose along the top of the keyboard. This is actually MUCH slower and more frustrating than simply repeatedly tapping the bottom left key to get to the word you want.

2.) Everything you type has a space automatically put after it. For normal words this is fine, but for anything else like mixed number and letter sequences, certain punctuation (e.g. putting a dash - between things) and various other things, it's really annyoing having to manually delete the space.

3.) If you want to capitalise a word in the course of a typing a message, e.g. a person's name, you hit the shift/uppercase key and it is ignored every single time as the keyboard does immediately go uppercase, but then immediately goes lower case again before you've had the change to type the initial first letter of the name (etc).

4.) The arrow keys that only appear some of the time make the above problems even worse when you need to correct the above problems, because unless you tap on the text you've already written, the arrow keys to move the cursor don't appear, and sometimes the arrow keys then disappear again. This often then leaves you with the cursor in the wrong place and the only way to put it into the right place is to tap on EXACTLY the right place on the text you've written to position the cursor.

5.) Selecting punctuation is terrible, you can't just cycle through punctuation like you used to.

6.) The old keyboard recognised words with apostrophes, like you've, you're, I'm etc. The new one does not, and the above problems with selecting words, and positioning the cursor mean that you're left with something like "I.Ve" on the screen instead of "I've" and there are then no arrow keys to correct it.

7.) You used to be able to actually see the punctuation that made up smileys, e.g. you'd see ": )" (space between so punction remains here, but I mean just colon followed by right bracket) before it turned into the smiley graphic. Now you can't so you're not sure if you've typed the right thing, and recipients might get the wrong one because most people type these by using the characters not the graphic (trust me this happens).

8.) The way of selecting special characters and punctuation is really annoying being split across 3 screens rather than one like before - slower and more irritating.

Note that the old T9 predictive keyboard is still there in the OS, e.g. the Google Maps Symbian app running on FP2 still has the old keyboard - such a relief!

ALL the above problems can be solved quickly and easily by Nokia simply adding in an option in the Phone Language settings to use the old T9 predictive keyboard instead of the new one.

Please fix this ASAP Nokia!

(especially no excuse as FP2 is currently withdrawn for fixes - please make this one of them!)
    Last edited by buxz777; 10-16-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    I am pretty happy with the update..I use Swype to the keyboard not an issue for me.although I did have a play and I quite liked it to be honest.very happy overall...however if it wasn't for the amazing camera, I would be tempted by the new padfone 2 which was made official today..very good specs.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    what version of swype do you use mate and what theme do you use? i tried the beta labs version 2 something and that didnt give me a txt box pop up to write in etc and the version from ovi inst working after installing v2 so iam a bit in limbo as what version to use now

yeah the reason i like the 808 is purely the camera , some of the shots are just so clear and really quite amazing for a phone , the amount of dteail captured is very good and having that at your fingertips all the time is very handy :-)

Thanks
    using version 1.00(19197) works fine for me mate. the theme i am using is wrath HD from here
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.php?topic=81968.0
    Last edited by cambo; 10-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cambo For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (10-17-2012)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    cheers cambo mate , had to do a hard reset to get v1 of swype to install but still find nokias t9 txt entry to be one of the best ive come across (old version) i,ve just got my new 808 and it has feature pack 1 on it so ill be keeping that untill maybe nokia give us the option of new t9/old t9 as i find the new one terrible

overall though the 808 lacks some apps but its a very nice phone with some great little plus points , i hope nokia can continue the pureview tech that is in the 808 because its pretty mind blowing some of the detail captured in my pics from 8mp pureview mode

28. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

cambo (10-17-2012)

Thanks
    Ok so been using FP2 for a while now and overall love it - major upgrade from FP1 in my opinion. Only thing I really miss and cannot understand why nokia havent included it is the ability to select/mark multiple photos in the gallery. Say for example you have to bluetooth a few pictures from 808 to laptop or to a friend, I always have to go into the file manager and guess which picture is which. In the N8 I could do so much more easily from the actual gallery and actually SEE what pictures I am marking to send. Am I the only one who isnt comfortable with this or is there a way to do so ? Or maybe I dont know how ?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doshunnN85 View Post
    Am I the only one who isnt comfortable with this or is there a way to do so ? Or maybe I dont know how ?
    If you want to send multiple photo's then there are a few ways to do it. For two or three I Goto 'Gallery' select the photo and from the Menu select either 'Send' or Share. Selecting 'Send' gives you three options 'Message', 'Bluetooth' or 'Mail'. From the main Gallery view you can mark individual photos for deletion in bulk. To send via MMS Select new message, select person to send to then Add additional recipients and either insert content from the menu bar or add attachment. If you want to use e-mail to send then you need to activate the mail select account etc. If you insert content you get the gallery view, just hit the photo you want. Same with Attach. I don't mind this way. I don't seem to have a problem with it, its just a different way is all.

I think you are doing it wrong, you do not need to use the file manager at all.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (10-18-2012)

Thanks
    nope he is not doing it wrong..what he means is you could make multiple selections and then send accordingly.like you could on the n8 etc.now you can only do that for deletions

33. The Following User Says Thank You to cambo For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (10-18-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    If you want to send multiple photo's then there are a few ways to do it. For two or three I Goto 'Gallery' select the photo and from the Menu select either 'Send' or Share. Selecting 'Send' gives you three options 'Message', 'Bluetooth' or 'Mail'. From the main Gallery view you can mark individual photos for deletion in bulk. To send via MMS Select new message, select person to send to then Add additional recipients and either insert content from the menu bar or add attachment. If you want to use e-mail to send then you need to activate the mail select account etc. If you insert content you get the gallery view, just hit the photo you want. Same with Attach. I don't mind this way. I don't seem to have a problem with it, its just a different way is all.

I think you are doing it wrong, you do not need to use the file manager at all.
    Thanks for your response.. However I dont think it was understood what I was actually trying to do..

See what if you want to send 10 pictures all together by BLUETOOTH to a friend(phone to phone via bluetooth). How would you suggest I do so ? And I dont mean one picture after the other but all 10 in one go.. But in my N8, I can mark all 10 pictures in the gallery itself(just as you can in the 808 but only to delete) then bluetooth all in one go.

Right now, the only solution I see is to go to the file manager and there it lets me mark/select multiple files(pictures) which I can then select send>via Bluetooth and done. All 10 pictures would be sent via bluetooth to either my laptop(convenient if u hate cables) or a friend's phone.

Only drawback here is that you cant see what you are marking in terms of photos but you see the file name. Usually I guess which picture is which by reading the date on the file name.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Ok I see what you mean. The only thing I can think of is to Edit the Tags - simply to make identifying the photos more easily. Alternatively, I wonder if there's a separate 'viewer/gallery' to be had anywhere that will do it.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

doshunnN85 (10-18-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    nope he is not doing it wrong..what he means is you could make multiple selections and then send accordingly.like you could on the n8 etc.now you can only do that for deletions
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    Ok I see what you mean. The only thing I can think of is to Edit the Tags - simply to make identifying the photos more easily. Alternatively, I wonder if there's a separate 'viewer/gallery' to be had anywhere that will do it.
    Yea I used to be able to do so easily on my N8, its a real shame that isnt included on the best camera phone out there :/
    I havent come across any other gallery based software for Nokias ever.. Are there some out there ? Might do a quick search but I doubt it'll work smoothly seeing as it wouldnt be Nokia made. In my experience other 3rd party apps which are designed to do stuff that the phone apps already do usually ends up being laggy or has some kind of bug.

And also considering that Nokia have said they are not going to roll out any more symbian updates I guess we're out of luck

Thanks
    113.010.1508 is up on navifirm and might be in Nokia Suite.
    Hopefully fixes the 3G bug.

Navifirm access is closing soon, so get it while you can.