Nokia 808 Micro sim question for AT&T
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia User
    Thanks

Nokia 808 Micro sim question for AT&T

Hi guys,
    I am finally getting an 808. i currently have an N8.
    I am not sure if I should just cut my sim down to size, or go into an AT&T store and ask them for a micro sim.

I did try calling an AT&T store asking them If i could come in and get a micro sim to replace my regular sim, and the guy started asking me all of these questions, and telling me I need to bring in the phone I want to use the micro sim in.

I really don't want them to change my data plan or mess with my account in any way, so I am hesitant to go into the store with my 808, as they may try to switch me to an expensive smart phone data plan.

Can't they just make a copy of my current sim, and replace it with a micro sim?
    I feel like I have to make up some story for them just to get a micro sim from them.

Should i just cut my current sim down? I do have a noosy cutter I bought online.

thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hi, Although in UK I had exactly the same problem. My previous service provider [good plan] was sending me a Micro SIM and my plan was remaining the same - but I would have to change my number. That was going to take at least a week and I needed it done asp. I went to another provider and got a similar - almost better - deal and Micro Sim there and then.

Top TIP -the SIM card holder appears to be flimsier than I expected and is not easy to use. It's delicate and the SIM fitting needs to be precise otherwise you'll get all sorts of problems. My advice would be, I think AT&T should be able to provide a Micro Sim for your account on the same deal but you might need to change number [initially then port it later]. If they cannot or won't then you will have little choice but to select alternatives. In that case I'd go for a service with another carrier as a matter of principle. I'd cut the sim with the cutter but be ultra careful and be prepared for a poor fitting. If that happens then you have little choice left. .

You do NOT need to bring the phone in to get a micro sim at all. That is a load of BS. If you aint got the strength of character to resist the sales guff then cut the sim.

Good luck

Nokia User
    Thanks
    thanks for the reply TQ.
    I think I will try to cut it first, as it only take a few seconds, and I already have a cutter, and this would GUARANTEE that nothing on my plan gets changed.. and if that fails, I will just go into an AT&T store and get a micro sim

The clowns in the corp stores are just total morons.. they are clueless, and don't even know their own policies.
    I just hate dealing with that nonsense.

I don't know about the UK, but customer service in general here in the states is just awful now.. everywhere you go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I used scissors to cut my at&t sim. No problems.

If you go to an at&t store, make sure it's a real store and not a licensed store. Licensed stores charge you for sim cards.
    To avoid hassle, say you travelled and lost your sim and need a new one. They wont change your plan or anything. I've done this maybe 5 times over the past year.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    yea, i called an AT&T corp store the other day to just ask them.. and the sales guy gave me a bunch of BS how they need me to bring in the phone I want the sim for so they can program it and make sure its the right phone for the sim type.

Obviously he is full of BS because I know that I already have swapped my current sim between a sony Ericsson w760, C905, and a Nokia N8.. so there is no need to program a sim to the phone...

These people in the corp stores don't even know their own jobs.. they are clueless.
    i just don't want to deal with the nonsense, and risk them messing up my old data plan, unless I absolutely have to.
    Last edited by jake20; 10-03-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Glad that you have gone 'positive' in attitude. Lol. To be honest 'customer service' over here is a joke as well. (Mental note to self: do not go off onto a rant). I'm sure you will sort it.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Here in Bangkok, it's very easy. I went to the store and asked to swap for micro sim. The guy just asked me my phone number and pre-paid or post-paid and signed the form...that's it. He also asked for the old sim but did not ask me what's my new phone. I saw him program the micro sim and then gave me the old sim and new micro sim....DONE.

I am going to move back the the States soon, so I am concerning about swapping to micro sim. I have Tmobile sim right now and on pre-paid that I use whenever I go back to the States for a visit. It's good to know that you can cut the sim card down to make micro sim. I really dont want them (ATT or Tmobile) force me to sign up expensive data plan when they know I have a smart phone.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    i just ended up cutting the sim.. took about 5 seconds, and done.. working perfectly in my 808

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jake20 View Post
    i just ended up cutting the sim.. took about 5 seconds, and done.. working perfectly in my 808
    Nice one glad it worked out ok.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    thanks TQ..
    I also bought this video stabilizer.. but having a real hard time getting it to work right..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s02_i00

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jake20 View Post
    thanks TQ..
    I also bought this video stabilizer.. but having a real hard time getting it to work right..

Amazon.com: iStabilizer ISTGL02 Glidepro Video Stabilizer - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Well I have to admit that I have never seen anything like that let alone consider using. Totally mechanical device using 'balance' offset? Hmmm. I have used stabilisation devices before such as with binoculars and other image viewing aids and all of those employed a gyroscopic mechanism to provide stability. To be honest that looks a little like an S&M device, not too sure I'd like to be seen in public using it......lol

Let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks
    I cut my mini sim down to a micro sim with a Noosy Cuttter and it is working fine.
    Why stay with AT&T?
    I am paying $52.50 a month for 2 808s with Consumer Cellular who uses the AT&T network.
    For heavy users you can get unlimited everything for $45 each phone with Straight Talk who also uses the AT&T network..

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by furjaw View Post
    I am paying $52.50 a month for 2 808s with Consumer Cellular who uses the AT&T network.
    For heavy users you can get unlimited everything for $45 each phone with Straight Talk who also uses the AT&T network..
    Don't know if its the same for you lot over there but over here [UK] if you use a 'Lodger' service provider [one who owns no hardware and resells capacity only] then in some areas and instances you do get poor signal quality ranging from nothing to less than 70 % possible and if there is heavy use on a particular station then its the lodgers that get the call dropping on a FIFO basis. Used to happen to me a lot on another network. That's why I recently switched.