its been on and off with the 808 but its my phone of choice at the minute
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts

its been on and off with the 808 but its my phone of choice at the minute

hey peeps

hows things? just thought id write a little post as its a bit quiet in this section and a lot of negativity in other sections , well ive been using the 808 for a few months on and off . i had one for about 3 weeks then sent it back as amazon knocked £70 off in that time and i wasnt sure if it was for me . i then went back to my sgs2 for about a month , in that time i done a road trip and my main camera was my sgs2 as you can probs tell i missed a lot of night time shots and low light shots were challenging to say the least i knew if i had the 808 i could have had better shots

so i bought another 808 and had troubles getting a ''decent'' one ive had:
    1x dead on arrival
    2x with this screen issue Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 808 Pureview - Sleeping Screensaver Problem - Nokia Support Discussions
    1x with a small bit of dust under the screen

i must say amazon have been amazing and id like to give a massive shout to their customer services , simply brilliant , i will buy all my gadgets from amazon because of the way they have treated me at all times and thats what good customer services does it makes the consumer happy to shop there again even if problems have arisen

i now have one iam happy with again and really enjoying it , the abillity to whip out your 808 and capture anything is highly underated , the bokeh effect is very very vissible and adds great depth to shots , the zoom helps frame images superbly , the xenon flash freezes shots great and lights the scene much better then the n8 did , the audio from recordings is absoloutley amazing and puts my sgs2 to shame at loud sounds/noises , it has literally made me fall in love with photography again and ill be saving to buy another one because untill nokia get this tech on a windows phone i cant not have this camera with me at all times

its a bit worrying for me because with phones becoming thinner and thinner iam worried we wont see a great camera like the 808s packed into a windows device for quite some time , this tech is simply groundbreaking for a mobile phone and after having it in your pocket its simply hard to go without it again

i know i banged on about how youd be better off with a ixus 230hs and a sgs2 but like many of you pointed out if you leave your camera behind how good would the sgs2 be compared to the 808 and you was right ..... not good enough and many missed shots or ruined shots in dim lighting from my road trip proove that and they are now lost moments that could have been captured

i do miss the apps but not as much as i thought i would , i miss apps like netflix/tune in radio/the games etc but i only used them on ocassions however they were nice to have in my pocket with unlimited data and there will be times i will be like hummmmmm i wish i had that app still . however symbian covers most of my bases even if it is roughly (social networking or movie streaming anyone)

the browser with opera mini has txt reflow and is snappy to use etc it is nice for a bit of ocassinal web browsing , however android browser with full flash is better and offers the user more , if your just reading though opera mini is fine it also handles downloads well and is pretty dam fast a black theme would be nice though opera :-)

battery is impressing me , the sgs2 battery was good but could drain rather quickly , i resorted to a desktop charger and 2x batterys , the 808 is much better on battery , it sips it on tasks like music playing and standby where as the sgs2 could somtimes swig the battery while playing music meaning that the 808 gets through the day better then say the sgs2 , it also charges quicker then my sgs2 but i do miss the small 2.5mm nokia charging port like the n8 had

the build quality (once you have a decent one) is very good i like the polycarbonate it feels nice in the hand , the curved display makes screen protectors a bit tricky but if they are cut right they shouldnt be too hard to put on , i like the loudspeaker it has nice depth and is very loud , call quality is also better then on my sgs2 as is reception in low signal areas , i also love the power saving feature and the bomus of opera mini is even on 2g pages load quickly enough due to the way opera works meaning i can enable powersaving and still use web if i need too without draining battery maintaining a 3g signal

its a shame that nokia killed symbian so quick and networks didnt take up the 808 (i know you cant blame them after what elop did) its such a great camera phone and a capable smartphone although doing things like listing an item on ebay do make you question how capable it is compared to others but then you take a picture and all is fogotten :-)

if nokia had put symbian on better hardware like samsung did with the i8910 back in the n97 days i think users would have liked it more , it would have been treated better by the media , it wouldnt have been so annoying to the end user , symbian was maybe mistreated by nokia some would say??

so yeah nokia still need to improove quality control so many faulty handsets with different build quality isnt really acceptable in my opinion and they still have the abillity to create master pieces like the 808 , now what we need them to do is combine all the best bits from the 808 like :

# fm transmitter
    # camera
    # xenon flash
    # dolby rich recording
    # loudspeaker quality
    # battery life
    # full micro sd support
    # shape/size in hand is great for one handed use
    # awesome old t9 keypad to go with a decent qwerty so everyone is catered for
    # full file manager with full rights to files etc

and slap them into a windows 8 phone so we have a more modern o/s with all the best bits from symbian and phones like the 808 , however this is where nokia seem to struggle , mixing and matching to make the best

we had the n82 after the n95 but then the n96 after the n82 , we had the n96 with a tiny battery and no xenon when they could have taken the n82 xenon and put the n95 8gb battery in it which would have made the n96 a true flagship

we had the 5800 which people said add a 5mp/8mp camera and xenon flash , add a bit more ram and faster cpu and you have a killer phone -- nokia came out with the x6 and way to late too

now we can all see a great future , windows 8 with pureview tech and people are sold , however we have nokia coming out with pureview stage 2 now this may be all very well and we may get good results from it but we wont have results like the 808 due to sensor size and no xenon , nokia need to get them two things into windows phones asap

thanks for reading

how you finding your pureview? will you find it hard to give up the pureview camera? do you hope pureview continues into windows 8 with xenon and bigger sensors? whats your fave bit of the 808 pureview?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

cambo (10-27-2012), NAVVARR (10-27-2012), Quist (10-27-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Bit like yourself Buxz, I've had a choppy ride with the 808- initially preordered from Amazon, then got let down - out of stock. Went back a few weeks later and got one for £475- played about with it- but really wasn't impressed with the camera- so I returned it (had blurred close ups- my N8 was producing better photos).
    Really wanted another 808 -was a bit wary and didn't want to pay near to £500- so I kept an eye on ebay and picked one up for £375.
    Camera on it is excellent- enjoyed using it- and took it out for my usual hillwalking expeditions.
    Problem with that 808 was that the GPS was pretty flaky- would get zig zags and random plots on my sportstracker -really wasn't impressed considering my N8 would usually do the job flawlessly.
    So I've sent my 808 back to Nokia for a replacement or to be fixed- hopefully pick it up some time this week.
    I know the GPS should be rock solid- my original 808 (the first one) -was great- GPS was very accuarate so I know what I should be getting with a properly working device.

Apart from that- its a great device- amazing camera- its a worthy successor to my N8- not decided yet what to do with the N8- don't usually keep old phones- but I'm really not wanting to 'give' my N8 away for the paltry amounts being paid for them on ebay and trade in sites.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (10-27-2012), Quist (10-27-2012)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well you two [Nav & Buzz] like you, I love me 808. I have been luckier, I got my phone from Amazon [cause I also use them for my gadgets etc] and it was fine with no problems or issues right out of the box. In fact I got what I wanted and more. I have messed about with a few other phones [non-nokia] and to be brutally frank - they are by comparison nothing but money eating cack!! My 808 gives me everything I need and in a way I want it. I do not give a toss about 'Apps', games and the other junk that the networks want to foist on people to screw more cash out of the user. As you mention, I have full control over my phone and in so many ways that simply cannot be equaled by other systems. There are a number of people I work with and associate with and who have seen what the camera can do. To say they are impressed is an under statement. I won't rattle on because I have already stated my likes elsewhere but suffice it to say that I cannot see me changing from this item for some considerable time to come. I do not want to be without the camera and I am not going back to carting about a separate item for all my needs. I have ditched my other cameras, my ****nav, my MP3 player and have almost stopped using my net-book. Carrying just the one item has been too convenient for me. Oh BTW, my battery seems never to wane not matter how hard I use it.

Cheers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (10-27-2012), Quist (10-27-2012)

8. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    nooooooooooo my new one has purple tint throughout the phone :-( dam dam dam :-( i dont know if amazon are gonna replace it again , they are good but not that good!!

i noticed it , then compared it side by side with another 808 , its defo purple tint , not the worst ive seen but the others ive had havent had it :-( its pretty clear once youve noticed it :-( i thought my days of that were long gone and in all honesty ive seen a few 808s now and this is the 1st with purple tint :-(

what is wrong with nokias quality control? this is crazy iam willing to spend 430s on a nokia phone but the varying quality control is making it extremley hard , its funny you mention gps nav mate i had one with a weaker gps then others too it kept cutting out on the m25 on the way to thorpe park

man fingers crossed i can get a decent one i cant go back to a normal camera phone after the quality of pureview :-( tell you what iam getting a bit annoyed and i bet amazon are too :-(

edit
    i love this phone iam not knocking it in anyways , any negativity is aimed at nokias quality control , like tq above ive fallen in love with it but i havent been as lucky as him , i would go back to the sgs2 but i just cant after the pureview
    Last edited by buxz777; 10-27-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    M25 lol highway to hell!

Thanks
    Well, since I got my Pureview off ebay- I can't return it to the seller- so I've returned it to Nokia Care to either fix or replace.

I had a similar issue with my old N86 - bought off ebay- dreadful GPS- sent it to Nokia and got a replacement- excellent GPS- excellent new camera module too.

Maybe just send the phone to Nokia to get it sorted Buxz.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    Well, since I got my Pureview off ebay- I can't return it to the seller- so I've returned it to Nokia Care to either fix or replace.

I had a similar issue with my old N86 - bought off ebay- dreadful GPS- sent it to Nokia and got a replacement- excellent GPS- excellent new camera module too.

Maybe just send the phone to Nokia to get it sorted Buxz.
    yeah did think that but then its brand new and shouldnt really need tampering with , amazon have said they wont exhange it again it has to be a refund as they want to look into it , so either way iam without a phone for a few days or maybe more :-( bit worried of using nokia after my fiasco with the n8 and how they butchered it :-(

proper gutted its been going on for a week now and everytime i hope its gonna be sorted i find another issue

grrrrrrrrrrrr

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    M25 lol highway to hell!
    yep its not the nicest road mate lol always at a standstill :-(

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of your posts. I've made a similar journey in terms of the 808 becoming my phone of choice. After the N8 got on my nerves with how slow it could get and the limitations it had, I went whole-hearted into my SGS2 and actually really liked the camera. I had gotten the larger battery for it, so that was good too. Then as this summer approached, I knew I wanted the SGS3, especially since it was supposed to have a 12 mpix camera too and the 808 was clearly delayed. Of course, I was majorly disappointed when the SGS3 had the same resolution as the 2, but got it anyway, and have really been impressed with everything except the camera, which for me seems worse than the SGS2.

That being the case, when the 808 finally hit the market and I decided to get it too, I was hooked. It really made my summer and, in contrast to the N8, is snappy and really good with other stuff too (business apps, email, etc.). I figured the 808 would be my holiday phone and the SGS3 the one I'd use otherwise. At the end of the summer, I reverted to the SGS3 and was really pleased with it. I took a load of pictures, but never really viewed them anywhere, but on the phone. After a few months, I finally transferred them to my server and, whoa, talk about rubbish. That's when I decided to do my best to make the 808 work for me in all situations. And it really has worked out, with a few minor exceptions.

I too miss Netflix, Hulu+, banking apps, SiriusXM, etc. But when it comes down to it, I generally use those apps at home and can do well with my SGS3 from the drawer. Otherwise, Opera Mobile and Mini, both the old 808 keyboard and the new, the functional email apps, FM transmitter, Internet Radio, SymSMB and a few other key apps really make the phone fully functional. Only one I have issues with is Joikuspot, which doesn't work at all as well as it did on the N8 or wireless tethering works on Android. In terms of hardware, I only miss the excellent screen of the SGS3 - the 808's pales in comparison - and the superior battery performance of the SGS3 for how I use my phones. But then there's the 808 camera to make up for any shortcomings.

Anyway, I love being able to zoom into minute details (hair filaments on people, text on signs and other background items, all sorts of details I'd never noticed with the naked eye). The other day, I couldn't read a label even with my glasses, but with the 808 I was able to zoom in to an unbelievable clarity. I can honestly say this is the best camera I've ever owned, dedicated cameras included.

Sorry to hear about all of your issues. Thankfully I've gotten by unscathed so far. Bought mine on a trip to the US through Negri Electronics. Gray import from Singapore, but Negri promised an equivalent warranty as Amazon's and it looks like I lucked out (except for my battery, but that's another story). Good luck with getting your issues fixed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quist For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (10-28-2012)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    the 1st one i got about a month or two ago worked fine thats whats so annoying about it , i now cant geta good one :-( good too see people loving the 808 still , i also love the way you can zoom into tiny details , its really quite astonishinh how much detail is captured :-)

Thanks
    I gotta say I am very happy with my pureview. I have had no issues at all.the camera continually amazes me.I hope you get your sorted buxzz mate,you seemed to be jinxed with Nokia phones lately.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cambo For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (10-29-2012)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    proper jinxed mate iam tempted to buy the 920 but no xenon and smaller sensor just aint what pureview is about for me , i love the way you can zoom into photos and see things so far away so clearly , amazon said they defo wont exchange again which is fair enough , but they will let me get a refund so i can buy it from them again or try somewhere else or try the 920

Nokia User
    Thanks
    It would be interesting to discover just how many people out there that have had issues like some of you in here. Not that I think that is likely. Can it be that there are so few 'owners' or are we in here 'the few' - hmmmm probably the latter I think which makes me wonder how all the others are getting on. Mind you, I do not browse all the other possible forums etc, so perhaps I am deluded.
    lol

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    apparently a lot have had the screen saver being dim issue , the purple screen issue is also well documented in places like daily mobile , a lot of people suffer from 3g problems and some wifi problems

ive seen the dodgy gps nav speaks of , seriously ive seen a few 808s now and all have been a bit different in some way , however my 1st one was perfect i should have stuck with it but knowing i could send it back and order again and save £70 kind of tempted me to send it back lol

iam seriously considering the 920at the minute, the limited 32gb put me off a bit its limited for apps , maps , hd video , game data , app data etc and having 16gb+64gb has spoilt me in that respect , one other thing is dolby rich recording its so good for gigs and partys , awesome quality does the 920 even have this?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I am also very happy with my 808 with no issues so far...just little reget that I did not get it when it first came out b/c I did not have 808 for few vacation trips...but then I got about 100 USD off the original price when I bought it.

I may have to buy 128GB card when it come out...with current 64GB, I have around 7GB left. If I keep all the video that I take, that 7GB is not enough. I have to delete all the video after transfer to PC.

Anyone see that the A/C USB charger for 808 take too long to charge? Most of the time I use Samsung A/C USB charger. It rate 2A...so it charge faster.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by huy30 View Post
    I am also very happy with my 808 with no issues so far...just little reget that I did not get it when it first came out b/c I did not have 808 for few vacation trips...but then I got about 100 USD off the original price when I bought it.

I may have to buy 128GB card when it come out...with current 64GB, I have around 7GB left. If I keep all the video that I take, that 7GB is not enough. I have to delete all the video after transfer to PC.

Anyone see that the A/C USB charger for 808 take too long to charge? Most of the time I use Samsung A/C USB charger. It rate 2A...so it charge faster.
    I haven't seen much difference between my 2.1A charger and my 1.2A charger.

Thanks
    I think I have this GPS issue that Nav is talking about. Noticed it's very flaky compared to my old E7 and N9, assumed perhaps the GPS antenna of the 808 wasn't as good, but from the sounds of things I must have a fault with the unit.

Bought mine second hand(or rather traded it against my N9), guess I'll have to return it direct to Nokia if I want to get it dealt with.

How have peoples experiences been with returning to Nokia? Speed, service etc.? And have they repaired or replace your handsets?

Also overall really happy with my 808 BTW, fantastic phone and while I do miss my N9, I don't think I would swap back(even battery would play a large part in that decision, the 808 battery is amazing compared with most recent smartphones!).

As an aside, I wonder if this apparent lack of quality control is circumstance to the fact they're no longer made in Finland but in China?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I think I have this GPS issue that Nav is talking about. Noticed it's very flaky compared to my old E7 and N9, assumed perhaps the GPS antenna of the 808 wasn't as good, but from the sounds of things I must have a fault with the unit.

Bought mine second hand(or rather traded it against my N9), guess I'll have to return it direct to Nokia if I want to get it dealt with.

How have peoples experiences been with returning to Nokia? Speed, service etc.? And have they repaired or replace your handsets?

Also overall really happy with my 808 BTW, fantastic phone and while I do miss my N9, I don't think I would swap back(even battery would play a large part in that decision, the 808 battery is amazing compared with most recent smartphones!).

As an aside, I wonder if this apparent lack of quality control is circumstance to the fact they're no longer made in Finland but in China?

I returned my 808 to Nokia using Nokia Care in Glasgow- they took the phone off me and shipped it off- text me when it arrived back about 7-10 days later. Got a brand new replacement handset.

To be honest- I've not had a chance to retest the GPS on this new phone. However, I did originally own an 808 from Amazon which I returned due to faulty fuzzy pictures- the GPS on that unit was excellent- same as my current Nokia N8. So you can get an 808 with excellent GPS - they do exist!

I don't blame the fact they're manufactured in China- the QC should be high -regardless of where they are made.
    To be fair to Nokia- my expectations for GPS are quite high- I expect Sportstracker to track my movements clearly and relatively flawlessly- if I was only using Nokia Maps, the GPS would likely be passable.

I've owned Nokias for years- My originaly N86 has dreadful GPS - returned to Nokia- replaced- got a unit with excellent GPS

Ny original N8's GPS was a bit ropey- returned to Nokia- now got an N8 that works very well indeed.

Fingers crossed my new replacement 808's GPS stands up to scrutiny.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yes yes yeeeeeeeeees :-) had a 808 for a week now and all is good :-) no purple screen , no dim screensaver , dust uner the camera etc etc :-) iam one happy 808 user snapping away taking pictures of everything and loving it

just been using nokia maps online service to bookmark stuff in thailand then syncing it with the 808 and that gone pretty well , hopin the 808 serves as a handy travel companion for 4 weeks in the land of smiles

i chose it over the 920 because

#better camera , xenon flash , better optics , more detail in pictures although the 920 wouldof caught some nice night landscape shots with minimal effort
    #tv out options for hotel rooms
    #better battery life plus options of desktop charger and spares
    #micro sd support - i own 2x 64gb cards very handy for travelling compared to 32gb storage
    #usb2go incase i need it on my travels for importing/exporting stuff
    #fm transmitter - in thailand/travelling i can see this having some useage , hotel rooms , taxis , beach bars etc

ill miss the 920 and windows 8 its a top notch , fun device and the night time landscape shots really are impressive as is the social networking and whole ui however i just feel for my needs at the minute a decently built 808 will serve me better :-)

i want to find a cheap 2nd hand one now :-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 12-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Wow buxz777, 4 weeks in Thai???? Enjoy your stay...Just moved back to States and already missed Thailand.

I used Nokia map since N8 for Thailand and it was very good. I used Nokia online and search for my destinations and mark them then sync to the phone. Search by address or by street name is sometime tricky b/c the English spelling...but search my place name or hotel name is very good. I used my N8 to drive from Bangkok to Phuket without problem...just plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    yes yes yeeeeeeeeees :-) had a 808 for a week now and all is good :-) no purple screen , no dim screensaver , dust uner the camera etc etc :-) iam one happy 808 user snapping away taking pictures of everything and loving it

just been using nokia maps online service to bookmark stuff in thailand then syncing it with the 808 and that gone pretty well , hopin the 808 serves as a handy travel companion for 4 weeks in the land of smiles

i chose it over the 920 because

#better camera , xenon flash , better optics , more detail in pictures although the 920 wouldof caught some nice night landscape shots with minimal effort
    #tv out options for hotel rooms
    #better battery life plus options of desktop charger and spares
    #micro sd support - i own 2x 64gb cards very handy for travelling compared to 32gb storage
    #usb2go incase i need it on my travels for importing/exporting stuff
    #fm transmitter - in thailand/travelling i can see this having some useage , hotel rooms , taxis , beach bars etc

ill miss the 920 and windows 8 its a top notch , fun device and the night time landscape shots really are impressive as is the social networking and whole ui however i just feel for my needs at the minute a decently built 808 will serve me better :-)

i want to find a cheap 2nd hand one now :-)

Thanks
    Glad it's working out for you buzz mate. Have a great time

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    well I am back on a 808 ........ cant get away from the camera ...... its simply amazing

since ive got back from my trip to Thailand ive got through , 808 , 920 , sgs3 , sgs4 , and eacch time I come back to the 808 simply because of its media creation set up , the great camera , the brilliant mics , the battery life , its just unbeatable at capturing moments in high quality it really is a swiss army knife of a phone

it done well in Thailand , it got me places , it captured moments , it helped me communicate back home , i watched films and stuff through hotel tvs and the tv out option on the 808 , ok Skype is voice only and booking hotels through the 808 is bad really bad but as a all in one device for my travels it held up well and I only needed a pc to book my next hotel through agoda and paypal really and I always had it with me to capture moments or navigate back to the hotel after an adventure ...... looking back it actually done really well

I thought id bring this thread back up to see if peeps are still using their 808s , still enjoying them , planning on upgrading to the eos , what do you think of the eos , what about things like the last Symbian shipments and support for phones like the 808 , are you worried that things like ''services'' will stop working you tube , facebook etc as apis are updated and Symbian is forgotten about?

for me its a bit tricky , I hear the eos wont come with micro sd support , that's quite a big thing for me as is tv out options like the 808 , however on the flipside windows 8 has some great camera software that lets you set shutter times and do things like manual focus etc which is really good stuff for a cameraphone specially one with optics like the 808 , you also get a more modern o/s and a more supported o/s that is future proofed somewhat so for me it isn't a simple decision on wether to give up the 808 and go with the eos

whats your thoughts

29. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

cambo (06-17-2013)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well I am nice and settled with my 808. It still does everything that I want of it and has not let me down since I bought it. In the mean time, I got given a 'Tablet' [Samsung] as a present and so played about with it only to determine that it just was not worth the bother in carrying about. Well, so far I have not seen or discovered anything to make me consider a change. I do not care if Farce book or other so called 'social media' degenerate facilities stop support, who cares? You are perfectly right in describing the 808 as the Swiss Army Knife of phones. Since there are no more like this then a good working model will become a rarity - even more so than it is now and the price will increase. Besides look at the pathetic attempts that are so called competition - bah humbug.....

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    the new sony that's been rumoured shouldn't be taken lightly? have you heard about it?

what about the eos? your not tempted? I would miss facebook and youtube support also soundcloud support which I use a lot on the 808 and I hope support continues through the api changes in the near future

Thanks
    pretty sure I will go to the eos once its out. I have the surface pro and starting to really enjoy windows 8.pretty sure I wont sell my pureview though..it might end up being a collectors item.last of its kind haha, and like buxzz says, it really is the swiss army knife of phones..
    Last edited by cambo; 06-17-2013 at 03:29 AM.