what keyboard do you use on fp2 and do you like fp2
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts

what keyboard do you use on fp2 and do you like fp2

hi there just wandering what keboard people use on feature pack 2

#swype
    #t9
    #nokia qwerty
    #baidu
    #dayhand

what do you think of them , easy to type , good speeds , nice layout etc

i only ask as iam still on festure pack 1 , i remember i hated the new t9 txt entry and sent the phone back to amazon because of this and other issues , ive now not upgraded for this reason alone but surely txt entry cant be that bad without the old t9 can it?

i used swype on the sgs2 and it was good and ive used ios qwerty and that was good so surely the options in feature pack 2 should be fine even without my fave nokia t9

all opinions welcome and appreciated , hope your all well

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I personally use the T9 for text entry. I prefer the text entry on my old Nokia N8- and could input a text faster.

Having used the new T9 for a few weeks/ months now, I am used to it and can type fairly proficiently, I still find it frustrating sometimes and would swap back the the old method.
    I think the trick with the new method is to make more use of the suggested words that come up as you type- but since I generally finish typing my word without looking at the suggestions, I don't really notice the new way to be any faster.

Upshot for me- its good, but not great. I'd go back to the old T9 if I could.

Also, I've noticed my 808 hangs and reboots a bit more than it used to- was considering a clean install to fix this- but really can't be bothered resetting up my 808. The problem isn't that bad yet, anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-09-2013)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    thanks navvarr mate , have you used baidu before? i think that has t9 entry too , wether its any better then stock fp2 t9 is another matter :-/ its such a shame nokia changed their t9 in fp2

what about qwerty in portrait? to small? good/bad key placement?

so does the new t9 adapt to your typing style like windows phone ie do word you use often appear more then random ones?

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I've not tried baidu yet- I've become so used to the new T9 that I'll probably stick with it. You can type quite fast with it since it does seem to 'learn' and anticipate what word you are going to use next- its certainly not foolproof though, since it does sometimes offer bizarre words -making it a bit random.

I tried the portrait qwerty- its not bad- not my way of inputting though, so I rarely use it- with the size if the 808, you make less mistakes typing, so thats a good plus point and the layout is easy to read / follow.

One thing I did notice today and then just as I was replying to you - I initially started my reply on my 808 and then it froze- had to remove the battery to reboot the phone.
    I've noticed that inputting forum posts can be quite glitchy on the 808. -A problem I rarely had with my N8.

The 808 is great- FP2 is for the most part very good, very smooth- but I do notice freezes and glitches- that could do with being fixed.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    lets hope accucentre carry on then hey mate lol :-) any gps or camera differences? worse better? i read compression was slightly higher in fp2? noticeable at all?

Thanks
    Yeah, hoping this new FW rumoured to be rolling out will fix some of the issues I've noticed.
    GPS for me is pretty solid- really can't complain- seems about as accurate as my old N8- not any better though.
    Camera for me is excellent- I personally haven't noticed any difference- I still play about with the setting and take pictures as I go hill walking and the results are excellent -so, no complaints there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    I pretty much user only Swype..I am used to it now and I also use it on my tablet...GPS pretty solid.. the camera has always been excellent

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cambo For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-10-2013)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    I pretty much user only Swype..I am used to it now and I also use it on my tablet...GPS pretty solid.. the camera has always been excellent
    what version of swype and does it actually work as it should? many mixed thoughts on swype fp2 and split screen issues??

Thanks
    version 1.00(19197) and I have had no issues at all. maybe I. am lucky

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cambo For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-10-2013)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    version 1.00(19197) and I have had no issues at all. maybe I. am lucky
    version out of the store mate or did you download it from somewhere? it cant be luck it must be either the problems dont bother you or people are using a different version :-) i like swype and if it works fully i might upgrade but also if there are problems with the split txt entry then it might become a problem

does it work in all apps you use without hitches? have you typed long messages with it?

thanks mate appreciate any feedback

edit

found out why you are ok and others arent , your using v1 , v1 works fine on fp2 as long as its the only version installed , if v2 is installed it wont work on fp2 , then downgrading to v1 doesnt work either , so as long as you have only used v1 on fp2 thats why your working fine

more in this quote

You are right:

Swype v2.1 is broken with FP2 (Keypad covers input fields)
    Downgrading from Swype 2.1 to 1.x does not work (Swype does not get activated)

The only solution I have found is to perform a full factory reset on your phone (*#7370#), and re-install all your applications and data from scratch. Make sure to back up any contents of your C: and E: drive first, but do not back up/restore settings! If you restore your settings, Swype 1.x will still not work.

Once you have a "clean" OS, you can install Swype 1.0 from the OVI store. This will work, but you will not get split screen a la 2.1.
    so how smooth is swype on fp2?
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-10-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    well i tested swype on fp1 and it seemed ok , it opens up a seperate txt box to type in like old skool symbian before the split screen (pre-anna) i dont mind that so went ahead and updated to fp2

now this may sound silly but i was getting really worried as i really like my 808 and was thinking of buying another but was put off by fp2 , now i know at least txt input is ok , i was also worried about services and it being updated by nokia care if i ever needed anything done

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I am running FP2 and having no issues at all. I like the keyboard and definitely find it easier than FP1 or my N8 for that matter. I love the 'suggestive text' and unlike our buddy above, I use it all the time. I have discovered that it is very cleaver and learns words you type in if there are none to suit you from its suggestion pile. I have discovered that I can get a text out a lot quicker using it. I was always crap at predictive text but this method - seemingly halfway - is perfect for me, especially since I have pigs tits for fingers.

The GPS is as always very good and one significant improvement is that when I am running the GPS and a call comes in I can answer [over BT headset] and then the GPS kicks in again. Previously and in my N8 I have had to reset it when getting a call.

Camera - still excellent and for me the best bit. No issues there at all. It make thicko me look like David Bailey........lol.
    Google Maps works very well and with street view and I like Office Mobile. The E-mail capacity seems to have improved from previously though that might be because I have finaly discovered how to set it up properly but I have 7 accounts running on it and without error or issue.

Altogether I am very pleased with my 808 and do not envisage a change for a long long time [as the whore said] the only things I'd like are; a few more 'home screens' and the ability to Video call but that is a carrier issue and not a phone one.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TQ335 For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-11-2013)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    you an get unlimited homescreen tq but you need to run custom firmware or be hacked :-) thanks for your reply/opinon too , i upgraded to fp2 still dissapointed that the t9 has changed but its ok as swype v1 works ok as does the nokia qwerty although i do find the keys a bit small on the nokia qwerty pad

there was a problem though flashed through nokia suite , when ever phone booted i got a system error , then i noticed that my contacts names wasnt showing in the sms inbox/outbox , i flashed again , fixed contacts issue but still got system error upon reboot so had to hard reset it to fix the problem which made it more hassle then it should of been :-/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    i was also worried about services and it being updated by nokia care if i ever needed anything done
    Nothing to worry about, you are guaranteed full warranty support for the whole period of the warranty and out of warranty support at least until 2016. I don't expect you to be still worried about that in 3 years time.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (01-11-2013)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Nothing to worry about, you are guaranteed full warranty support for the whole period of the warranty and out of warranty support at least until 2016. I don't expect you to be still worried about that in 3 years time.
    yeah i know they say supprt for that long but the 808 is a niche device with limited avalibillity and i can maybe see some parts becoming scarce over time and as assembly of them dwindles down , all nokia would have to do if they couldnt fix the 808 is surely offer a suitable replacement? but to me if it doesnt have that xenon flash and super camera module then its not really a replacement :-) didnt they try this with you and one of your phones?

ha ha well 93 who knows if id be worried about it in that amount of time - no one has touched the n8 camera in what over 2 years now so i cant imagine anyone bar nokia beating the 808 camera again and with elop in charge now who knows if he will ever let a 808 type device out of the door again , he'd be mad not to but all this super thin phone malarky could hamper any chance we have of seeing a 808 size module in the near future

what i was really worried about though was sending my 808 off to be serviced and then having it flashed with fp2 and having to deal with the new t9 keyboard , i wanted to stay on fp1 as long as i can but i know that if you send your phone for repair/service then nokia will update it too , now i have swype working its not an issue

so do you think the 808 will remain serviceable for the whole 2 years? id like to think it would be but with it being a rare type of device you never know wether parts etc will remain avalible
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-11-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Older phones are still serviceable today, so I don't see why the 808 should be any different.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Older phones are still serviceable today, so I don't see why the 808 should be any different.
    thanks for the reasurance , i guess i worry , its just that with nokia phasing symbian out and everyone wanting thinner phones i wander how long before we see such a device as the 808 running say android and windows , i just love having this camera in my pocket all the time its immense

Nokia User
    Thanks
    LOL so true I still have my 6310i which though rough looking [can be sorted with a few cosmetic spares] still performs well. The microphone which by modern standards is less sensitive, is in my life, a very useful feature. I still use it at work on occasion and is in my car as a standby otherwise.

Thanks
    In relation to the question in the thread title: Yes, I like FP2. I found FP1 nigh on unusable on the 808, now that I have purchased another one and it is on FP2 the difference is fairly dramatic. The user experience is still very, very poor compared to current phones in other ecosystems, but it is fairly serviceable now (ie: I don't hate every second I am outside the camera app any longer).
    N95 owner since April '07
    Phone 'rig': Samsung Galaxy Note with Sandisk 64GB MicroSDXC, HTC One X, Black N82 V20 firmware HACKED, Samsung HS3000 receiver, Nokia DT-22 tripod, Gorillapod, iGo Ultraslim Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, Phonejoy, Datel Retro Wireless, Zeemote, Dell Bluetooth Mouse, MHL adapter, USB OTG cable, Zephyr HxM BT heart rate monitor!
    Audio rig:
    USB DACs - ASUS Xonar Essence One desktop DAC, FiiO E17 portable, FiiO E7, HeadAmp PICO USB DAC/Amp
    Headphones - Audeze LCD-2, Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD25-I II, ACS T15, AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic T5p