This camera is so crap for night shots!
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

This camera is so crap for night shots!

This isn't my picture but it's an example of what always happens in night shots.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...20/808-car.jpg

Now if you don't notice the bright side on the right then look at this...

920:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...20-pumpkin.jpg

808:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...08-pumpkin.jpg

I bought an 808 thinking it had an amazing camera and it simply doesn't for night shots. Every picture I take has the same bright side and every website I check, they have the same thing happening on theirs. I don't know if it is external light shining from the metal into the lens, though that doesn't make sense as it's always on the same side. I thought it was the LED light that always comes up before you take a pic, however if you switch the infinite, that doesn't come on and it still happens.

I can only think it's either a software issue Nokia will never fix because they've ditched the phone now or it's a fault in the design of the lens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    the camera takes very good night shots actually but you do need to use the settings for best results eg adjusting the iso etc, when to use the flash and when not to..
    take a little time to learn how to use it before you incorrectly slag it off

Thanks
    It does that light blob for every shot at night but the 920 doesn't.... it's not my problem. If I wanted to I could go to several review sites at night which all have the same problem. I don't wanna use exposure to hide it because they blurs the whole picture if you don't have a tripod. Why can't this phone get it right?

Here is a pic taking in the dark to show you what it does, it doesn't matter what setting I choose, it'll always do it. This is an extreme example showing you more clearly. Stuff like exposure hides it or external light sources like those pictures I posted before. However you can still see the issue in them. It isn't just my 808 either, I've googled loads of reviews and I see it in all the night time pictures, I just showed one sites examples.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...03-15-0516.jpg
    Last edited by miffy; 03-15-2013 at 10:23 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    So funny I took a picture in pure darkness changing every possible setting and it does that same thing. There is some flaw with either the software or the hardware of this camera, how can it be doing it where there isn't a single light source.

Last edited by miffy; 03-15-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Afraid your in the the minority in thinking the 808 camera is crap- yes, night shots can be tricky, but getting to know how to use the settings of the 808 will pay dividends- thats if you can be bothered.
    By the tone of your post I don't know if your up to that.

I'd take the time to learn how to get the best out of the 808- any camera can be 'crap' if you are using the wrong settings- the 808 included. From the wealth of amazing photos I've taken with my 808, I'd have to disagree that the camera is 'crap' though.

Mind you, I've had the phone a few months now and taken the time to experiment with it.

Thanks
    Well my complaint is with a fault with the software or hardware and nothing to do with settings.

I made two posts since but they've vanished....

I downloaded an external camera app since and the spot has mostly gone, I dunno if it's a software issue or the new camera app uses software to hide a hardware issue.

Either way that issue is something I've seen on every 808 in review samples.

Thanks
    its hard to judge anything as you havent put up any picutures that you have actually taken with your 808

Thanks
    Well I did, twice but the posts vanished.... I dunno why, maybe the admin took them down for what ever ****ing reason.

But it's easy to see the issue because if you look at those pics and the comparison to the 920 you can see. Though I just looked at a new video comparing the 808 to the HTC one in video performance and the HTC one beat it in low light performance, though it wasn't quite as sharp.

I'm starting to think the 808 camera is all about the MPs and everything else has been ignored, most of all the ****** software.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uplo...ghtNoFlash.jpg

Whenever I post links the post seems to vanish... maybe this works?

A new pic taken today from this site of HTC one vs 808 and look, the 808 has that bright side on the right!

Another site for proof of this defect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    its hard to judge anything as you havent put up any picutures that you have actually taken with your 808
    Yeah, was just going to say- post the pictures and let us see what it is that you are unhappy about.

I'm not aware of any major hardware faults with the 808- nor any major software problems either.

Given that Nokia have been rolling out about 3 minor software updates and bug fixes in the last month or so, that i'd say that your statement 'I can only think it's either a software issue Nokia will never fix because they've ditched the phone now or it's a fault in the design of the lens.' - isn't entirely accurate.

I take lots of pictures- sometimes it take two or three or four to get the one i'm most happy with- but hey- its all digital- so I'll take twenty if I have to and delete the rest.
    If you are expecting the perfect picture everytime you point and click any phone or camera- you are going to be disappointed.

Thanks
    I'm trying, made 4 posts, all deleted.

Thanks
    I suspect they are being deleted since you've only just joined the forum and you may not be able to post pictures until you've been here or posted a few more times.
    Its probably a security thing to stop spammers.

Thanks

complete darkness without any light influence, this is what I'm talking about and I see it on every low light picture from this camera.

The daylight stuff looks amazing, sadly the night time stuff has this effect on every shot.

I cannot link it.

Sadly I cannot upload high resolution photos anywhere, all get compressed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I'm trying, made 4 posts, all deleted.
    All your photobucket links lead to a blank black image. They are all approved now, for what it's worth.

Your links to other sites work fine.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    I suspect they are being deleted since you've only just joined the forum and you may not be able to post pictures until you've been here or posted a few more times.
    Its probably a security thing to stop spammers.
    In general posts from new users which contain links are blocked until they can be checked and verified as harmless and not spam. You can now see for yourself where the links take you. Hopefully miffy can fix them in order to make his point better.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    If you look closely (unless you have a crap monitor) you'll see a colour change in the black towards the right.

Thanks
    Sorry, my 6-months old 19' Dell LCD monitor (actually both of them, since I use a two-screen array) must be crap, I don't see anything but pure black, no matter how close I look.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

Thanks
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8...627d93c2_k.jpg

Here is a pic I found on some pureview website as I was looking for tips. You notice how the image is really light on the right side, I've noticed this same thing happen with every 808 shot. Most people photoshop it out though...

Thanks
    I do see what you mean, however, I'm not convinced that its even an issue to be honest.

The majority of the pictures I take with my 808 are scenery or close ups and mostly with the right settings they turn out just fine.

I'm not really the kind of photographer who analyses his pictures in microscopic detail, zooming in to see how much detail is there- all I know is that my 808 does the job of taking pictures very well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NAVVARR For This Useful Post:

cambo (03-18-2013)

Thanks
    I've been doing a lot of searching and it's a design flaw with the phone, the best answer I could come up with is this, however it seems like the most common complain with the 808. It's quite disappointing for me, it ruins every shot at low light and makes the camera rather useless, especially sad when the 920 is better, I'm just going to have to sell the phone because Nokia said that is normal and there is no fix. I wouldn't normally sell a phone over a camera, however when you buy the phone for the camera, it's kinda a big issue lol.

"Interestingly, in all of the images, noise is noticeably more intense in the right half of the images than it is elsewhere in the scene. This isn't due to the position of the light in our setup - our tungsten lamp was positioned on the left - but probably due to amp glow, maybe caused by heat, originating from a component positioned behind or adjacent to the 808's sensor inside the tightly-packed body of the phone. In our 'real world' shooting at the 808's highest ISO settings, this issue is unnoticeable, although banding can be a problem in very poor light."

Thanks
    honestly I cant reproduce the so called defect you are talking about. if it's a fault with your camera then I suggest you get a replacement.I am on three 808 forums and to be honest, this issue of yours hasn't been discussed.I would try working with the settings to see if you get any differences in the night shots.

Thanks
    Take a picture in a pitch black room all set to auto with flash off, no auto focus or with the auto focus light off and then try one with iso 1600 in both pureview mode and full resolution. Try doing it after use of the phone so it is hot too to see if it gets worse.

I get the same result no matter what the resolution however this is the difference between 400 and 1600 iso.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg:original

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...0.jpg:original

Now it's on the left side with iso 1600 because I turned the phone around to see if it changes. It proves that it is the hardware...

Nokia just said to me that it is normal with 800/1600 ISO and not a fault, they gave me one reason but it doesn't happen with any other camera, not even the 920.

So I googled it, found loads of people complaining and what I copied and pasted made the most sense. someone also posted a link of a modded sensor that you can buy, probably it helps shield it, I dunno.
    Last edited by miffy; 03-18-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not convinced its an issue that 99% of 808 owners have even noticed.

I post on the Pureview Club forum and its not an issue they've flagged up at all.

This forum can be very highly critical of Nokia, but most agree that the 808 camera when used properly will delivery stunning results.

This low light issue may be a deal breaker for you and you may want to sell the phone because of it- that's your choice, I personally don't see me changing phones for quite some time.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Take a picture in a pitch black room all set to auto with flash off, no auto focus or with the auto focus light off and then try one with iso 1600 in both pureview mode and full resolution. Try doing it after use of the phone so it is hot too to see if it gets worse.
    To be honest, I'm not that bothered replicating what amounts to a glitch or bug- its important to you, since you take low light photos. For me, with normal use, ie- mountain scenery, pictures of my kids, my wife's horse etc etc- its simply not an issue.

If I need to take low light photos and its an issue, I'll mess about with the settings and find something that works at that time.

Incidentally, I had an N8 and visited an old castle- ie, low light conditions- and initially, my photos were rubbish- very out of focus, dark etc etc.
    I messed about with the settings, tried a few things and hey presto, got some great pictures.
    It was just taking the time, with a bit of basic camera knowledge and experimentation that fixed it for me.

Thanks
    Again it's nothing to do with the settings, it's just an issue with the hardware.

Low Light 808 Sample #AMAZING (1080P- fountain outside MWC)-Prototype #PureView (MyNokiaBlog) - YouTube

Again in this video of it, I youtubed low light 808 and got this. You can see down the left side how horrible it is.

Thanks
    lmao, reset the phone to factory to see if it improves anything and oh look none of the apps I bought are on my account for redownload, not on the PC program or my phone because for some reason there are two.

Nokia make the biggest PoS phones ever, cannot even redownload anything I've already bought :\ No wonder why Symbian died.

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Funny cause I made a backup but in typical Nokia fashion from what I've experiences so far, most of the apps wont reinstall :\

Thanks
    Funny, I have never had any problems re-downloading purchased apps even on different phones. As long as your Nokia Store account is not messed up there should be no issue. I do not understand what you mean by "there are two" - two what ?

Thanks
    The store on Nokia suite is different to the one on the mobile, they have different content and act as two separate stores. Anyways sold the thing now so doesn't matter, possibly the worst phone I've ever had relative to the year it came out in. I'm not going to buy other Nokia phones cause they're on Windows Phone and that is just as bad. Nokia need to make Android phones, they might actually sell.

Thanks
    The store on Nokia suite is different to the one on the mobile, they have different content and act as two separate stores.
    Not on mine they are not. Same store, same account, same login details, same purchase history. My experience with the 808 is exactly the opposite to yours, one of the best phones I've ever had so far and am using it constantly as the second mobile I carry with me along with my main Lumia 920. In the 9 months I've owned it I've had none of the problems you are complaining about. Maybe you were just unlucky with your handset. Good luck with your Android adventure.

Thanks
    I've reformatted once or twice and managed to download most if not all of my APPS without having to repay for them.

As far as there being two stores?!- well, maybe in your world there are - but in my world- ie, the real world, there is only one Nokia Store.

I'm suspecting that you are looking generically at the main Nokia Store without selecting the 808 as your phone- hence it will show up every app- then when you go to download one, you have to select your phone and sometimes the app isn't available for you.

Great, you've sold your 808- I'm really pleased for you- hopefully the next person will be able to work it properly and enjoy it.

Thanks
    oh well at least he kept the forum interesting for a bit...

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Been following this thread with interest. Perhaps I am Mr Lucky but the photos from my 808 both day and night / low light level are excellent. I'll post a few examples later.

Thanks
    yep thats the same for me. i couldnt reproduce the effects that Miffy was talking about..my only problem with the 808 is that i have a hard time taking BAD pics.....

Thanks
    To be fair, I can replicate it by sitting in total darkness and putting the ISO up high- but really - its a bit like switching your TV on, putting the brightness way up and then complaining- hey the picture is terrible on my TV... ah well.

The pictures on my 808 are getting better and better- I'm getting quicker and more intuitive about messing about with the camera settings and selecting the best ones for the scene- its pretty difficult to take a bad picture when you get used to this camera.