Some questions regarding the 808
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

Some questions regarding the 808

I'm very new to the 808 and have some questions. I posted the below questions on another forum as well but got only one (partial) reply so I'm hoping I have better luck here. Any advice appreciated.

1) Would I be losing out on a "must have" feature by not upgrading from firmware 112.020.0310 to 113.010.1506? I noticed that there were several posts on various sites complaining about problems AFTER the firmware upgrade and I am therefore very wary of updating it.

2) Is there a way to back up my existing firmware so that it can be restored/rolled back if I dont like (or having problems with) the newer update that is available? If so, how?

3) I cant seem to get the music player app to "remember" that my music is stored on the add in microSD card (F: Drive). It still insists on looking for music on the in-built storage (E:Mass Memory). Because of this I constantly have to use the File Manager to play my music by manually browsing to F: Drive/Music and selecting the files there. Is there any way around this?

4) In the case of Photos/Videos, I have managed to set the storage drive as F: but even here, both Videos and photos are placed into the DCIM folder. I understand that this is the "default" folder and how its supposed to work but I was wondering if there's some way to override it so that only photos are placed into the DCIM folder while Video clips (.MP4's) are created in the "Video" folder that also exists on this drive?

5) Is there a good guide around that focuses specifically on the camera part of the 808? The only one I could find was the one page guide on the Nokia SG website. Are there any other detailed guides for the camera? Even links to other informative websites that offer tips and tricks on how to use the Camera would be nice.

6) Can you recommend some good apps for the 808 with focus particularly on the camera part?

7) Do I need an Anti-Virus for the phone considering I DONT use any Internet enabled features at all? If I don't require it I would like to uninstall the 30 day free trial version of F-Secure AV that comes pre-installed on the phone as its constantly running and I cant find a way to kill the app completely.

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by capsiconi View Post
    I'm very new to the 808 and have some questions. I posted the below questions on another forum as well but got only one (partial) reply so I'm hoping I have better luck here. Any advice appreciated.

1) Would I be losing out on a "must have" feature by not upgrading from firmware 112.020.0310 to 113.010.1506? I noticed that there were several posts on various sites complaining about problems AFTER the firmware upgrade and I am therefore very wary of updating it.

2) Is there a way to back up my existing firmware so that it can be restored/rolled back if I dont like (or having problems with) the newer update that is available? If so, how?

3) I cant seem to get the music player app to "remember" that my music is stored on the add in microSD card (F: Drive). It still insists on looking for music on the in-built storage (E:Mass Memory). Because of this I constantly have to use the File Manager to play my music by manually browsing to F: Drive/Music and selecting the files there. Is there any way around this?

4) In the case of Photos/Videos, I have managed to set the storage drive as F: but even here, both Videos and photos are placed into the DCIM folder. I understand that this is the "default" folder and how its supposed to work but I was wondering if there's some way to override it so that only photos are placed into the DCIM folder while Video clips (.MP4's) are created in the "Video" folder that also exists on this drive?

5) Is there a good guide around that focuses specifically on the camera part of the 808? The only one I could find was the one page guide on the Nokia SG website. Are there any other detailed guides for the camera? Even links to other informative websites that offer tips and tricks on how to use the Camera would be nice.

6) Can you recommend some good apps for the 808 with focus particularly on the camera part?

7) Do I need an Anti-Virus for the phone considering I DONT use any Internet enabled features at all? If I don't require it I would like to uninstall the 30 day free trial version of F-Secure AV that comes pre-installed on the phone as its constantly running and I cant find a way to kill the app completely.

Thanks in advance...

1) I have not had any issues with the 1506 FW and would strongly recommend always using the latest available version
    2) No way.
    3) Did you refresh your library after adding music ? From Music player start screen > 3 horizontal lines in bottom right > Music library > Refresh
    4) You can't change the default location. You may be able to create manually a new folder and keep moving the videos there, but I personally can't be bothered.
    5) Check out PureView Club: The PureView Community and All About Symbian - news, reviews and software for Symbian and S60 phones
    6) Panorama, Photosynth
    7) No need whatsoever for any anti-virus. Uninstall F-secure.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

capsiconi (05-13-2013)

Thanks
    I wasn't aware of the "Refresh" option in the Music Library because I failed to notice that there was a scrollable menu in there! Once I refreshed it, the songs showed up. Thanks for that.

One question regarding the firmware update. I will be upgrading the phone via my PC using the Nokia Suite app because I do not have internet access on my phone.

The ISP I use for my PC connection is not very reliable and keeps disconnecting/reconnecting from time to time. I am paranoid that if this happens during the update my phone might get bricked. The upgrade shows up as about 460Mb which means at least a couple of hours of download time.

When I run Nokia Suite, it asks me to connect my phone before it will show any relevant updates (because it has to figure out what update(s) to get).

Once I connect it, the update shows up with a prompt asking whether it should continue.

What will happen if while downloading the update to my PC, my connection is reset/interrupted (due to my ISP) before the update is completely downloaded on my PC? Will my phone get bricked?

Is it possible to download the firmware update to my PC first (preferably without connecting my phone), and then connect the phone to my PC and update it later without fear of any internet disruptions?

Do let me know as this worries me.

Thanks
    Last edited by capsiconi; 05-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Nokia Suite will not start installing the firmware update on your phone until it is completely downloaded to your PC. Any interruptions during that download to PC are irrelevant for the handset. Installation is done from the full file already in your PC, so any Internet resets will not affect the installation and it is quite improbable that your phone can get bricked in this way.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 93tid For This Useful Post:

capsiconi (05-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thank you for the quick clarification. It shouldn't be a problem then...