808 as a camera only without a SIM? Thoughts and advice?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

808 as a camera only without a SIM? Thoughts and advice?

I'm thinking of buying an 808. Actually I'm drooling over the chance to own one LOL! I want the camera! The quality which AFAICT from reviews is almost as good as a digital SLR.

But, perhaps even more importantly, I'm after Nokia's patented 4 microphone set up as I want to record outdoor videos for youtube with high quality audio e.g. nature videos where you can hear the speakers and not all the wind. Or videos of cool grafitti in alleyways where you can hear the artists over the airconditioners and other machinery. NO ONE except for some company that recently got caught trying to reverse engineer Nokia's quad microphone set up offers this. And it's not just the quad mics but the alogrythems Nokia came up with tho process the signals. It appears to me that to get anything approaching the 808's audio quality you'd have to use an external mic or mics with attachments etc which would be awkward for what I want to do.

My only problem is that I don't want to give up my E7! I really like the slide out keyboard because I can send literate e-mails and text and take notes etc. I have tried Swype, it's ok; certainly better than pecking at an onscreen keyboard, but it just doesn't cut it. I can type out a long e-mail or short memo in QuickOffice on my E7 hard QWERTY in about 1/3 the time it takes with Swype. So...

...do people have any opinions about using a Pureview 808 mainly as a camera? Would I constantly get annoying 'no sim' error messages? I'm thinking that I might use it just for photos and video (as described above) maybe take a few short notes or voice memos using vlingo or something and then transfer the photos and videos via wifi or USB (who'd want to transfer heaps of large files via expensive 3G anyway) The 808's micro SD popped into an adapter and then a laptop or even the little cable to USB (which the E7 and N8 also have BTW) basically gives you the ability to connect to a portable USB drive or plug into a USB hub or NAS anyway to quickly dump your 64 GB of photos.

SO does anyone see any problems with this plan? Am I crazy? Any comments or opions anyone? I honestly don't think that I can get a better camera for under $400 Australian (the going rate on-line for 808s).

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    you could use it in offline mode mate , this way there will be no sim errors as there will be no connections taking place etc .

your right the quality of the 808 camera is hard to beat for the same money and in a size that is pocketable the iq levels of the photos are simply outstanding in 8mp pureview mode. Then you have the mic set up , I took a sgs3 and 808 to a concert the 808 blew the sgs3 away literally the sound was pin point , no distortion , great levels , its a really great feature and over looked by many until you have used it

you will miss optical zoom and maybe ois at times but the pictures you do take will make up for this no doubt but on the flip side you have a high quality point and shoot camera with sat nav , internet , usb2go , fm transmitter , micro sd card support , mass memory built in , video light , great screen in sunlight , great sound recording , pure noise free pictures and what other digi cam can offer that

to be honest I just bought another because I missed it so much lol

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I have been using the 808 camera for quite a while now and there is no doubt in my mind that it is excellent but you really need to understand what its limits are and discover them by trial and error according to your particular needs. For me, I always use the highest resolution I can [33.6 mp] for scenery etc but never unless I can rest the phone on a solid object to remove even the vaguest tremor. The camera will pick it up and you will notice this when you zoom as you crop. A certain amount can be offset by using certain filter/enhancing techniques, but not by much. The low light level capability is simply unbelievable. It takes a while to understand all the aspects of the camera and to develop a reasonable degree of competency.

All the other facilities that it offers are simply excellent and I think your comment about the on screen keyboard though a fair comment is a tad 'narrow visioned'. In another thread another fan stated that this phone is the Swiss Army Knife of phones, lol, I think I'd say that was fair. I do a lot of texting and note taking myself, I use Google Maps a lot and the Navigation [GPS] almost everyday. Its a bit finicky when you have pigs tits for fingers like me but I manage quite well. You will too with practice.

I'd say give it a go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies.

It sounds like a small portable tripod (even a mini one that you can pop in your backpack) might be a good accessory to carry when doing lots of landscape or other outdoor photos. It's a shame that the 808 doesn't include the mechanical (sping based) image stabilisation that some of the Lumias have but as they say in Brooklyne 'whaddaya want... EVERYTHING?!' LOL!

It's encouraging to hear that someone else with big fingers who does a lot of texting and note taking has gotten used to the on screen keyboard. So maybe there's hope for me yet. In any case there are a number of external blue tooth keyboards available on ebay for modest prices.

It's interesting that you would use google maps when Nokia's maps and navigation are already so good. I don't use maps very often but I have found taht Nokia's voice guided GPS navigation is prettty good on my E7. Although maybe you're using Google maps for thing slike street view that Nokia doesn't have?

Anyway, I'm pretty much looking for an excuse to buy the thing so both of the above comments have helped. I'd also add that I really like Symbian Belle on my E7. It's nice and fluid. I can scroll from screen to screen and through libraries of files or photos nice and fast in a fluid way. It occassionally stutters or freezes when dealing with a large attachment of slow webpage but even my quad core desktop does that. I pretty much exclusively run OPera on my E7 as Nokia's built in browser sucks but that's no biggie. I just wish I could figure out how to make Opera the default browser so that when I click on a link in an e-mail it automatically goes to Opera instead of 'web' or whatever the clunkware thing is called. But I'm getting off track by writing about my E7 - I was really just trying to make the point that having Symbian Belle on the 808 is actually a major plus IMO and I'm really unhappy that they're discontinuing it in favour of a crippled little, locked down OS.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberlawusa View Post
    Thank you both for your replies.

It sounds like a small portable tripod (even a mini one that you can pop in your backpack) might be a good accessory to carry when doing lots of landscape or other outdoor photos.
    I'd say that is a good idea but I prefer to use whatever is around rather than lug extra gear about.

[/QUOTE]It's encouraging to hear that someone else with big fingers who does a lot of texting and note taking has gotten used to the on screen keyboard. [/QUOTE]

The 'predictive text' offering on the 808 is in my opinion superior because you see the words offered on a banner above the keyboard [on screen] rather than plopped into the message and then edited out. I can do this form of texting easily whereas the other method was useless cause of my finger size - lol.

[/QUOTE]It's interesting that you would use google maps when Nokia's maps and navigation are already so good. [/QUOTE]

I use Google Maps for precise information, for example when I am looking for a hotel/other and - for street view. I do not use for navigation. As you correctly point out the Nokia 'Drive' function is excellent and I use only the voice guided method. There's no need to look at anything. So far and when used, I have found it to be very very accurate indeed. The Nokia Maps are ok when walking about town but they use Mobile Base Station Mast info in preference and in my case are always inaccurate when pinpointing my location. [Only locates the nearest mast.] However Google uses the built in GPS and locates me smack on every time. One thing though - Google Maps will not work unless you have WiFi selected on the drop down comms bar. This is because GM uses the WiFi tag as a trigger. You do not need a WiFi signal though. Its just the switch in the software needs to be initiated.

Thanks
    This is because GM uses the WiFi tag as a trigger. You do not need a WiFi signal though. Its just the switch in the software needs to be initiated.
    This is a REALLY good tip. I would never have guessed. If it isn't already on a consolidated Tips list or something it should be :-)

Thanks

OK you convinced me ;-)

I just ordered my 808 Pureview from MobiCity down here in Aus. Can't wait to get it. I'll post some more once I've used it a bit and have something useful to say. Meanwhile, thanks for all your help.
    Steve
    Last edited by cyberlawusa; 08-05-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks
    I'm also considering the 808 Pureview as a camera, not a phone. Can you tell us how it performs as a camera only device? I'm aware that it can take great photos, but my main concern is its battery life. How long does it usually last on standby with GPS, WiFi, 3G signal, etc. turned off?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Easily a week at least
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Easily a week at least
    Great. Thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nulltone View Post
    I'm also considering the 808 Pureview as a camera, not a phone. Can you tell us how it performs as a camera only device? I'm aware that it can take great photos, but my main concern is its battery life. How long does it usually last on standby with GPS, WiFi, 3G signal, etc. turned off?
    Quote Originally Posted by nulltone View Post
    Sorry about the delay in replying. I've been flat out at work and haven't had a chance to really try my new 808 But this wekend I will put it through it's paces for sure!
    I honestly can't believe that it would last a week unless you're hardly using it at all. My E7 is lucky to last a day. I reckon you'd get a couple hours if you were really recording a lot of video and/or using the flash like crazy but we shall see.

One thing the 808 has going for it is that you can remove the battery (unlike the E7 and N8) so you could charge up an extra battery to pop in your pocket if you're planning on doing a lot of video recording or something.

There are heaps of reviews about image quality but what's even more important to me is the sound quality. See for example Nokia 808 PureView and Nokia Rich Recording brings true stereo sound – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blogIf you google a little or look around this site you should be able to find even more. I like to record videos of some of my family members talking outdoors or reviewing grafitti art. This means I often have trouble with wind in the background or industrial machinery and airconditioners and stuff in alleyways creating background noise louder than the subject's voice. So when I read that people were actually getting good results recording live rock music I was intrigued. From what I've read, to really keep out background noise, you usually need a special external mic but I like having a super compact camera without lots of gear to haul around the great outdoors, alleyways and old abandoned buildings ;-)

I'll post an update after this coming weekend.

Meanwhile here are a couple more links: Nokia 808 PureView and Nokia Rich Recording brings true stereo sound – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog and Weekend Watch: Rich Recording with Coldplay and Nokia 808 PureView : My Nokia Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    I honestly can't believe that it would last a week unless you're hardly using it at all.
    The original question was: "How long does it usually last on standby with GPS, WiFi, 3G signal, etc. turned off?". That is what I replied to.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    I'm thinking of buying an 808. Actually I'm drooling over the chance to own one LOL! I want the camera! The quality which AFAICT from reviews is almost as good as a digital SLR.

But, perhaps even more importantly, I'm after Nokia's patented 4 microphone set up as I want to record outdoor videos for youtube with high quality audio e.g. nature videos where you can hear the speakers and not all the wind. Or videos of cool grafitti in alleyways where you can hear the artists over the airconditioners and other machinery. NO ONE except for some company that recently got caught trying to reverse engineer Nokia's quad microphone set up offers this. And it's not just the quad mics but the alogrythems Nokia came up with tho process the signals. It appears to me that to get anything approaching the 808's audio quality you'd have to use an external mic or mics with attachments etc which would be awkward for what I want to do.

My only problem is that I don't want to give up my E7! I really like the slide out keyboard because I can send literate e-mails and text and take notes etc. I have tried Swype, it's ok; certainly better than pecking at an onscreen keyboard, but it just doesn't cut it. I can type out a long e-mail or short memo in QuickOffice on my E7 hard QWERTY in about 1/3 the time it takes with Swype. So...

...do people have any opinions about using a Pureview 808 mainly as a camera? Would I constantly get annoying 'no sim' error messages? I'm thinking that I might use it just for photos and video (as described above) maybe take a few short notes or voice memos using vlingo or something and then transfer the photos and videos via wifi or USB (who'd want to transfer heaps of large files via expensive 3G anyway) The 808's micro SD popped into an adapter and then a laptop or even the little cable to USB (which the E7 and N8 also have BTW) basically gives you the ability to connect to a portable USB drive or plug into a USB hub or NAS anyway to quickly dump your 64 GB of photos.

SO does anyone see any problems with this plan? Am I crazy? Any comments or opions anyone? I honestly don't think that I can get a better camera for under $400 Australian (the going rate on-line for 808s).
    I've kept my 808 and moved onto the the Lumia 820 but still have the 808 always with me in offline mode with no GPS, wifi etc. Even though I have the option of taking pictures and uploading them straight away with the 820, I still prefer using the 808 purely for the quality of the pictures/videos. Goes without saying that right now if you want something that'll fit in your pocket and can take outstanding pictures then the Pureview 808 is what you want. The old symbian is out of date and choppy at times but once you use it without all the apps(excluding camera apps) then it runs smoothly and YES lasts a week easily ! Symbian has run its course but Nokia have found their niche in photography and well done to them ! I am looking forward to the new Lumia 1020 but for now, my trusty 808 does the trick so I would recommend it

And on another note, when can we expect a Lumia 1020 section ? Surely it should have its own sector for discussion ? As far as I know it has a smaller sensor but with the newer technology and processing algorithms and with the ability to alter the shutter speed, it could be a big improvement on the already awesome Pureview 808 ?
    Pressing Thanks doesnt really hurt... Does it? Click it and find out!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to doshunnN85 For This Useful Post:

cyberlawusa (08-15-2013)

Thanks
    I spent an afternoon doing a lot of photography and video recording with my new 808. The thing rocks! This was not a scientific test but I got roughly a half day out of it. Keep in mind that video recording chews up battery life fast.

YMMV but my conclusion is that if you are doing A LOT of photography e.g. you're in tourist mode photographing every cool looking building or hot looking woman then you'll need a spare battery or two to get through the day and will want to plug the phone straight in when you get home.

In fairness this is comparable to every digital camera I've owned over the past few years such as the Panasonic LUMIX and Canon A620. The only drawback to the 808 is that it's slightly inconvenient to pop the back off to swap batteries. OTOH the spare battery will fit in any pocket unlike bulky AAs or even AAAs.

And if you're into editing photos and videos on the go and uploading them then there are very few digital cameras that do this well (that Samsung 'camera' running Android might but it's a camera not a phone and even so its camera is no where near as good as the 808's).

So all up, IMHO, the 808 works great when used primarily as a wifi camera with zero or perhaps limited use as a phone and the battery life shouldn't deter anyone from using it.

On battery life I recommend checking out Steve Litchfield's (a Symbian and PSION guru since the days when Symbian was epoc 16 and then epoc32) battery saving tips article How to: 10 steps to double battery life in your Nokia 808 it ncludes things like how to set your wifi to not gobble battery life and don't just switch to the home screen but hit the little red button when you're done photographing. It also has a picture a high capacity battery which I might invest in if it's not too expensive.

HTH,
    Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doshunnN85 View Post
    I've kept my 808 and moved onto the the Lumia 820 but still have the 808 always with me in offline mode with no GPS, wifi etc. Even though I have the option of taking pictures and uploading them straight away with the 820, I still prefer using the 808 purely for the quality of the pictures/videos. Goes without saying that right now if you want something that'll fit in your pocket and can take outstanding pictures then the Pureview 808 is what you want. The old symbian is out of date and choppy at times but once you use it without all the apps(excluding camera apps) then it runs smoothly and YES lasts a week easily ! Symbian has run its course but Nokia have found their niche in photography and well done to them ! I am looking forward to the new Lumia 1020 but for now, my trusty 808 does the trick so I would recommend it

And on another note, when can we expect a Lumia 1020 section ? Surely it should have its own sector for discussion ? As far as I know it has a smaller sensor but with the newer technology and processing algorithms and with the ability to alter the shutter speed, it could be a big improvement on the already awesome Pureview 808 ?
    Thank you for your response! I'm glad to know that it will easily last a week. That was one of my major concern about the using the 808 as a camera only device.

Thanks
    It might last a week if you hardly use it (which I think might be what 93tid said). But if you're making calls or aking a lot of photos and vids then you'd be lucky to get a full day. And if you regularly make lots of calls or photos/videos then you might want to invest in a spare battery. See also Steve Litchfield's review if the high capacity batteries and power saving tips.

That said I love my 808. And it's battery life compares favourably to compact cameras that I've recently owned such as the Panasonic LUMIX and Canon A620.

Thanks
    It might last a week if you hardly use it (which I think might be what 93tid said). But if you're making calls or aking a lot of photos and vids then you'd be lucky to get a full day. And if you regularly make lots of calls or photos/videos then you might want to invest in a spare battery. See also Steve Litchfield's review if the high capacity batteries and power saving tips.

That said I love my 808. And it's battery life compares favourably to compact cameras that I've recently owned such as the Panasonic LUMIX and Canon A620.
    Agreed, the 808 will never last a week with that kind of usage, however we were talking about using it as just a camera.. So no sim card(as mentioned in thread title), no calls, no GPS, Wifi etc..
    Pressing Thanks doesnt really hurt... Does it? Click it and find out!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Is anyone able to connect to Nokia store in OFFLINE mode and NO SIM on their 808? just using WIFI

thanks