The 808 still make sense
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

The 808 still make sense

Here we are in the fall of 2013.
    I gave my SGS2 to my daughter as her mobile was acting up. The SGS 2 has been as good and as reliable as my trusty N95, and it has travelled around the world quite a few time with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
    So I am in the market for a new mobile.
    I went to see, and play with the 1020 but the my little poney interface is a deal breaker, hence the new GN 3 would be the logical move.
    I went back to my ol faithful N95 whilst pondering and realized how easy symbian was on it (just wished the sreen was bigger, my eyes are not as good as then) .
    Now I need a good Ebook reader and Mobipocket still does it on the N95, so I am fairly sure I could install it on Belle.
    Solitaire is still a standard fare on OVI store
    Now the only unknown is nokia maps on Belle? Can you still DL any map you want or the support on the 808 has runneth.
    I still see plenty of the old hands in here like 93tid; got an awful lot of great advices from you mate in the days of the N95.
    Anyhow thanks as always for any info

Cheers
    Last edited by Capt Pat; 09-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    If you enjoy using Symbian - which I do, then I'd heartily recommend the 808 to you. I've owned it for a year or so now and don't see myself changing any time soon.
    Its fast to use, responsive- has all the major apps you'd need, its got downloadable maps like you asked- and its Nokia's final swansong for symbian- a worthy one at that.

The 808 is quite pricey still, worth it in my opinion- if you were looking for a cheaper option, the Nokia N8 will do just about everything, with a 3 1/2 inch screen instead of a 4.

Personally i'd go for the 808 - amazing phone, I reckon you'd enjoy it.

Incidentally, I bought my daughter a Samsung Galaxy S4 - its a great phone too- I could buy one if I wanted- but having played about with the SG4, I still recommend the 808.

Thanks
    yep I agree with Navarr.i just bought the lumia 1020 which I love but I will never sell my 808. its a great phone with an amazing camera. Also its the last of its kind.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thank you for the answers gents,
    I have such a fine time with the N95. I know some might say "stay with the darn thing", but in all honesty the screen is too small for my aging eyes.

I guess I am attempting to talk myself in the last Symbian mobile on the market.

Still my question is what will happen to Nokia maps. They will support Symbian till 2016 but I have the feeling some of the other services will fade quite sooner. I was on Nokia store a couple of days ago to see what kind of apps I could potentially install on the 808, and coulsd see the cobwebs, already.

I am flying into Singapore in a fortnight, and will visit the Sim Lim tower to see the new mobiles.

Thank you all for the inputs.

Nokia User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pat View Post
    Still my question is what will happen to Nokia maps. They will support Symbian till 2016 but I have the feeling some of the other services will fade quite sooner. I was on Nokia store a couple of days ago to see what kind of apps I could potentially install on the 808, and coulsd see the cobwebs, already.
    I am flying into Singapore in a fortnight, and will visit the Sim Lim tower to see the new mobiles.

Thank you all for the inputs.
    My eyes are not as keen as they once were either so trust me here - the 808 is very good for my tired old eyes. I was keen on my N95 8GB then went to N8 and now 808 its well worth it simply because it is the last of the line - arguably the best as well. Maps? not an issue. I use Google Maps a lot although I have Nokia Maps as well and use both without issue.