Nokia N8 available for UK pre-order!
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Nokia Genius
    Thanks

Nokia N8 available for UK pre-order!

You read right folks, it's finally here! Nokia UK N8 pre-order page is finally up and running. Available at the end of September and you can choose from 5 different colours. That's the good news!

The bad news it costs a whopping £429! So NokNok were correct after all.

Buy Nokia N8 - Nokia Online Shop

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSuper For This Useful Post:

Montala (09-08-2010), Stuart1973 (09-08-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Wow..that's $658USD...can we spell: gouge?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    If someone helps you, hit the thanks button!

Twitter: @nirave

My Sites:
    UK Mobile Review (@UKMobileReview)

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    It looks like it will also be available FREE on contract for £35 per month, from the likes of Vodafone, O2 and T-Mobile (or whatever they are called these days!). Not that I intend to go down that route myself, mind you!

I was expecting Nokia to offer a small sweetner, such as free standard delivery for example, to those who did pre-order from heir website, but there is no sign of anything like that... or of the "buy it from us and get it on the 23rd September - a week before anyone else" offer that was mentioned earlier, either.

EDIT: Just noticed the following statement on their website: "Free standard 3-5 day shipping on SIM Free phones over £300" and "Free next day delivery on all Pay Monthly phones"... I would have thought that they could at least have offered free next day delivery on a SIM free N8 also though... especially at that price!
    Last edited by Montala; 09-08-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks
    Hmmmm, to order or not to order!?

You're right, free delivery would have been nice. If I order 'standard' delivery I'm not going to get it on release day am I (whenever that may be)?

Grrrr

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Despite having registered on their website to be notified when more details of the N8 were available, and also given my number to their sales office over the phone, I was actually quite surprised to receive a call from them at 09:30 this morning to ask me if I would like to place an order for one... no emails yet though!

I did ask I would gain anything by ordering directly, over the phone, but they wouldn't even give me free Express Delivery, and said that there are no discount codes available for this model yet... now there's a surprise!

Apparently they do use UPS for next day deliveries though, who I think are probably one of the better courier companies... and they provide you with the tracking details in advance also, which I always like.

It is just a shame that they have pitched their price quite so high though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafe of AAS View Post
    One note of interest is that, in the UK store, the blue variant of the N8 will not be available until October and the Orange version is described as a 'limited edition'.
    yay, the N8 is here....oh wait, there's the catch. i knew there would be.

blue is not available yet so they make out like the orange one is an extra special collectors edition so people wil buy it "while stocks last" and, hopefully, not question the lack of blue N8's.

i'm on to you Nokia.....

p.s. just saw the 429 GBP price tag which is a tad more expensive than the 479 EUR (395 GBP) price tag here in Holland.....why Nokia, WHY?
    "it's not rocket surgery".

Thanks
    I wonder what they mean by end of Sept - will it be the very last day as we have heard or will it be 23rd as we have also heard?

I really need to know before placing any order as I will be away from 25th so anything delivered after then would eat into my 14 day return period. May as well just wait til I get back in that case.

Now if it came on the 23rd, I could take it with me

Decisions decisions!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spyda View Post
    I wonder what they mean by end of Sept - will it be the very last day as we have heard or will it be 23rd as we have also heard?
    Pretty sure an exact date will be announced soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    Really? Can't remember how Nokia generally deal with these things... apart from badly!

Thanks
    So, had anyone ordered yet?

I'm tempted, but that £429 is a lotta dough when I have a perfectly good N86 sitting in front of me....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Pretty sure an exact date will be announced soon.
    I guess this means you'll be getting your prizes pretty soon then....
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    Pre ordered my silver/white N8 from Nokia direct when the nice lady called me at 9.30am this morning, price same as online £429, & £9.99 express delivery (1-3 days).

No discounts available, couldn't confirm a release or delivery date, but told I will be notified when dispatched!

Here's to hoping the first few days, weeks, months using the N8 are less painful than with the N97!!!
    Nokia better have sorted out all the bugs in Symbian3 before release, otherwise I'll be yet another lifelong Nokia user jumping ship!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    429 Nokia N8 gets September release date | News | TechRadar UK

Nokia getting a bit of a spanking in the comments!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    ^^^WC Fields was correct I believe...a sucker is born every minute...this is a huge price to pay for a company that has botched early releases recently...But on the other hand it's like playing golf..we pay huge sums just to get aggravated

Thanks
    Vodafone said to me 1st October
    *#0000# ,To Find Out Your Firmware Version! *#06# ,To Find out Your IMEI Number..If Ive Been Useful Click "Thanks" Button!! - Samperry209!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts
    Really? Can't remember how Nokia generally deal with these things... apart from badly!
    Neither can i but they cant just say 'sometime at the end of September', not very professional is it.

Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    I guess this means you'll be getting your prizes pretty soon then....
    I hope so.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Gaz
    Thanks
    Nokia have been saying on twitter that it will be shipped for 30th september and UK network suppliers will have it the 1st october

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVVARR View Post
    So, had anyone ordered yet?

I'm tempted, but that £429 is a lotta dough when I have a perfectly good N86 sitting in front of me....
    At that price point and being unsure about symbian^3 I'm holding off for the time being.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Neither can i but they cant just say 'sometime at the end of September', not very professional is it.
    But they HAVE done! :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Nokia have been saying on twitter that it will be shipped for 30th september and UK network suppliers will have it the 1st october
    Hmmm, so I guess we can give up on it being shipped a week before the retailers get it then ... was really hoping for 23rd. May as well not bother pre ordering in that case, will just order when I get back from Jollies! Either that or order and then pick up from courier when when I get back after they've had to return it to the depot.

Who knows, Nokia might surprise us and ship on 23rd - in which case it WOULD be worth me ordering.

Soooo frustrating not knowing!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Personally I`m sticking with Play.com. I dont mind waiting another 14 days to save 20 sovs, especially after waiting 6 months already. Anyways I can spend the fortnight reading the many posts that are bound to appear. Happy Days. FredW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fredw View Post
    Personally I`m sticking with Play.com.
    I'd be very interested to know what product code will you receive in comparison to the ones from Nokia UK.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I'd be very interested to know what product code will you receive in comparison to the ones from Nokia UK.
    Why do you ask? If you think that the units sold by Play are any different from Nokia supplied ones I can assure you that I havent had any problems with my last four purchases ( N85,N95,N97 and 5800xp). regards FredW

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Personally I`m sticking with Play.com. I dont mind waiting another 14 days to save 20 sovs, especially after waiting 6 months already. Anyways I can spend the fortnight reading the many posts that are bound to appear. Happy Days. FredW
    If you aren't going to get one directly from Nokia, and don't mind waiting until 5th October, then why not buy it from Mobile Fun (Sim Free Nokia N8 - Black) and save yourself even more money?

If of course you have already placed a pre-order with Play.com, then I am sure that could easily be cancelled!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Here In Sweden you can also get the N8 for free with all the operators .

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Here In Sweden you can also get the N8 for free with all the operators .
    You can (or at least will be able to) get a free N8 here in the U.K. also... on a £35 per month contract!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Montala For This Useful Post:

Tommie (09-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Have to admit, I'm very dissapointed with the price. Given they have ruined any pull the S3 OS would have had for developers, that price is really very high.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hmmm, so I guess we can give up on it being shipped a week before the retailers get it then ... was really hoping for 23rd. May as well not bother pre ordering in that case, will just order when I get back from Jollies! Either that or order and then pick up from courier when when I get back after they've had to return it to the depot.

Who knows, Nokia might surprise us and ship on 23rd - in which case it WOULD be worth me ordering.

Soooo frustrating not knowing!
    For your information, on the pre-order I have just placed with Nokia the "Anticipated Sending Date" is 25th September 2010, which I see is a Saturday, and seems a bit of an odd day to ship, so it doesn't look as if you would receive it before your holiday anyway, which is a bit of a pain!

Oops... I have now realised that I appear to have ordered two by mistake... so I had better get that sorted out ASAP I think!
    Last edited by Montala; 09-08-2010 at 07:41 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Montala For This Useful Post:

spyda (09-08-2010)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montala View Post
    If you aren't going to get one directly from Nokia, and don't mind waiting until 5th October, then why not buy it from Mobile Fun (Sim Free Nokia N8 - Black) and save yourself even more money?

If of course you have already placed a pre-order with Play.com, then I am sure that could easily be cancelled!
    Because 1) I`ve already pre ordered
    2) I get reward points on my Play card. These will easily cover the cost variation.
    3 ) Better the devil you know ! cheers fred

Thanks
    Why do you ask? If you think that the units sold by Play are any different from Nokia supplied ones I can assure you that I havent had any problems with my last four purchases ( N85,N95,N97 and 5800xp). regards FredW
    I don't know if they will be different, that's why I'm asking. The product code is relevant only for the timing of availability of future firmware upgrades. All my phones bought from Nokia tend to have UK country variant codes which have been getting updates months later than generic EURO codes.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Because 1) I`ve already pre ordered
    2) I get reward points on my Play card. These will easily cover the cost variation.
    3 ) Better the devil you know ! cheers fred
    Those sound like three very good reasons to me Fred!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I don't know if they will be different, that's why I'm asking. The product code is relevant only for the timing of availability of future firmware upgrades. All my phones bought from Nokia tend to have UK country variant codes which have been getting updates months later than generic EURO codes.
    I didn't realise that!

Perhaps I should have pre-ordered from Expansys then, as don't they source some of their phones from Europe?

Just a thought!

Thanks
    For your information, on the pre-order I have just placed with Nokia the "Anticipated Sending Date" is 25th September 2010, which I see is a Saturday, and seems a bit of an odd day to ship, so it doesn't look as if you would receive it before your holiday anyway, which is a bit of a pain!
    Thanks mate. I could see it being delivered on a Saturday but if the sending date is Saturday then I would think it more likely Moday / Tuesday the following week.

Anyone else pre-ordered and have an anticipated sending date? Are they all 25th Sept?

Thanks
    To those of you that have pre-ordered, have you been charged yet?

I am pretty sure Nokia don't charge until the item is sent (unlike Apple) but I would like to be sure.

Thanks.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    A quote from my pre-order confirmation reads: "When you place your preorder your bank may "hold" the funds, which means you won't be able to access them. When your order is shipped from our warehouse, we will take your payment. We will email your Shipment notification."

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    certainly does, thanks for that. I'm encouraged to place my pre order this evening. May pay express even though I'll not be here on the off chance it arrives Sat!

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Interesting article about the potential success of Nokia's N8.

Bullish analysts: N8 will save Nokia ? The Register

Nokia User
    Thanks
    This fact has always been an annoyance. It seems that we (the buyers) are never able to specify a particular product code, so as to get updates promptly.
    The reason that I originally started buying handsets outright was that I mistakenly, it seems, assumed that it was Vodafone who were delaying the update installs, when it was Nokia all along.
    A minor update became available some weeks ago for the 5800XPress, but I havent been able to get it yet.
    This problem should have been sorted out by now, instead of the service providers taking the blame for update delays. Rant over and Out! regards Fred

Thanks
    Seems Nokia will not accept debit card - unable to order without CC. I was so close to placing my order too!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I am a bit surprised at that. I know you get better protection when purchasing with a credit card (and a bit longer in which to pay!), but I am sure you have a very good reason in wishing to use a Debit Card instead.

Have you tried phoning their sales line, and talking to someone about this, as I am sure they would love you to place an order for one!

P.S. I managed to cancel my duplicated order OK this morning, and received an immediate email acknowledgment.

Thanks
    I could use CC and would probably be better in doing so due to the protection it offers. Having had a bad experience with Nokia in the past this might not be a bad thing either!

However, I am currently awaiting a refund from O2 on the CC and although credit limit is not a problem, I would much prefer to use debit. I just find it odd that Nokia will not allow this.

The only problem with calling to place the order is that I will have to forfeit my 10% cashback (which at the price of the phone is worth having).

I may just bite the bullet and use CC. Their t&c's state that the money is only 'reserved' and not actually taken until dispatch anyway.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I can tell that you are itching to get one anyway, so am sure that you will be able to sort comething out!

Going back to our earlier discussion regarding shipping and delivery dates etc, they informed me this morning that they do not ship on a Saturday anyway, so that makes nonsense of the 25th September date quoted in their confirmation email!

However she did say that I will receive a further email shortly confirming the actual despatch date, and also (although possibly not at the same time!) a UPS tracking number, so that I can see exactly when it will be delivered.

So far, so good... well, apart from the high price that is!

Thanks

I may just bite the bullet and use CC. Their t&c's state that the money is only 'reserved' and not actually taken until dispatch anyway.
    i guess that's the reason. with a debit card, the cash is authorised to be taken from your account straight away (as long as the funds are available). there is no way to delay a payment or use the card details as a guarantee like you can with a credit card.
    "it's not rocket surgery".

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Evil Genius For This Useful Post:

spyda (09-09-2010)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Don't forget that if you use Quidco to buy via the Nokia store in the UK, you get 10% cashback. If you use a cashback credit card, you can claw back an extra few percent too.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to BubbaHotepUK For This Useful Post:

markyboy (09-09-2010)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
    i guess that's the reason. with a debit card, the cash is authorised to be taken from your account straight away (as long as the funds are available). there is no way to delay a payment or use the card details as a guarantee like you can with a credit card.
    A very good point, which makes perfect sense... now why didn't I think of that!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I did, i use greasypalm and got 5% cashback

Thanks
    However she did say that I will receive a further email shortly confirming the actual despatch date, and also (although possibly not at the same time!) a UPS tracking number, so that I can see exactly when it will be delivered.
    Oooh, keep us posted (I'm sure you will) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
    I never knew that was the case. Makes sense now though, thanks.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    I've bitten the bullet and pre-ordered the phone! I've never been an 'early adopter' before, but I've got a good feeling about this one. Let's just hope we're not all going to be guinea pigs!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    It looks like I'll be pre-ordering shortly.

However, with Nokia World next week and my imminent attendance, I can't help but think about waiting to see what is released.

Oh well, I'm sure me being me, I'll still pre-order lol!
    If someone helps you, hit the thanks button!

Twitter: @nirave

My Sites:
    UK Mobile Review (@UKMobileReview)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nirave View Post
    It looks like I'll be pre-ordering shortly.

However, with Nokia World next week and my imminent attendance, I can't help but think about waiting to see what is released.

Oh well, I'm sure me being me, I'll still pre-order lol!
    Go on... go for it... you know you want to!

Just noticed... with just one more post you will have reached 1000 posts!

P.S. Anyone got a spare ticket for Nokia World?... I would really love to attend!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast