N8 now hacked via custom firmware - Attempt at your own risk! - Page 2
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Oh no :O:O:O got an error when flashin and couldnt fix it, tried flashin back to normal firmware but it didnt work. I restarted phoenix now it doesnt find my phone. My phone is staying white with the nokia logo and isnt hard resetting any help?

Thanks
    Last edited by abound; 12-11-2010 at 10:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Oh dear. Not good.

Try a manual hard reset first, it may work, it does sound 'bricked' though. If that fails I would try using the 'dead flash' feature with Phoenix but I haven't worked out it's functions properly yet to tell you how.

It's small consolation but I force flashed my N97 when I bricked that using JAF rather than Phoenix. Sadly JAF doesn't work with an N8. 'Bricked' doesn't always mean 'dead'.
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply mate, manual hard reset is camera, volume down and menu yeh? Do you reckon if I cant fix it, it will be dear to get repaired? Wouldnt get away with claimin through my insurance haha?

Thanks

EDIT: I think I'v got the old firmware back thanks, I did get an error but it seems to be okay :s. Just to confirm I've done it right, all I do is download the original files I got from navifirm then copy them top RM-596 folder? And I should get the message saying theres a file missing or is that only if you're putting the custom one on you get that?

Thanks again
    Last edited by abound; 12-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Yes, that is a manual 'three finger salute' hard reset.

I see it worked, good.

What is it your trying to do, change language packs or get 'vanilla' firmware and remove branding ? I don't know why Phoenix does what it does with the warning after pressing 'refurbish'. It does seem odd that you then have to minimise it and add the hacked file and name it the same as the original and rename the original something else. Why you can't replace the original with the hack (renamed to that of the original) before even starting Phoenix I don't know.

Personally I'd breathe a huge sigh of relief (trust me, if my experiences with JAF and the N97 are anything to go by, 'dead' flashing is not much fun) and try again later.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Oh boy I'm I pleased, I bravely tried to install the custom one again and it installed fine lol. Thanks very much for your help, its much appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abound View Post
    Oh boy I'm I pleased, I bravely tried to install the custom one again and it installed fine lol. Thanks very much for your help, its much appreciated
    Your welcome. Stick around Nokia users you'll enjoy your phone more and learn lots - I have in nearly two years posting here.

Thanks
    I've just found an excellent pictorial guide to flashing using Phoenix here :

How to install hyperX PNHT Custom Nokia N8 Firmware Guide - FAQ and tutorials - Hyperx Custom Roms - Support Forum

I really thought more of we N8 owners would be up for it. My experience of the custom firmware has been very good and I'd recommend doing it to anyone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:

dogfox (12-14-2010), nutley (12-14-2010)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
    I've just found an excellent pictorial guide to flashing using Phoenix here :

How to install hyperX PNHT Custom Nokia N8 Firmware Guide - FAQ and tutorials - Hyperx Custom Roms - Support Forum

I really thought more of we N8 owners would be up for it. My experience of the custom firmware has been very good and I'd recommend doing it to anyone.

Are there any specific reasons you recommend it? I'm planning on doing it but don't really see anything in it that makes we want to rush out and do it. Some of the little tweaks are appealing though, have you noticed any stability improvements, difference in battery life or general day to day improvements?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nutley View Post
    Are there any specific reasons you recommend it? I'm planning on doing it but don't really see anything in it that makes we want to rush out and do it. Some of the little tweaks are appealing though, have you noticed any stability improvements, difference in battery life or general day to day improvements?
    its nice not to have to sign apps just click and install

photos have more detail to them due to more detail and less compression your looking at about 4mb-5mb a pic now with hacked firmware

video recording is a tiny bit better and audio to video recording is a little better

battery life is about the same

custom firmware is very stable

its nice to have icons from apps etc hidden from the gallery

custom boot and shutdown screens can be excellent depending on what you go for

theme fom babi is nice and due to custom firmware 99% of icons have been changed , this is only possible with this hacked firmware , if other theme makers change all icons it will now show up with hacked firmware

if you use voice recorder for uni/college/work its handy as there is now a 5hr limit

media player volume has been raised , not much difference but a bit louder

overall the firmware is like the original in tems of battery life and stabillity but it has just been modded and settings changed to make the firmware better

theres nothing groundbreaking yet like red light removal or overclocking of cpu etc but they are all little mods on top of an already stable firmware that make the firmware better then the original

like dyno has said iam suprised more people havent jumped over this as it saves the hassle of signing apps whih can be tedious and it has imrpooved the camera nd video recording , two main assests of the n8 and it has also polished the original firmware up a bit

is it the flashing thats putting people off i wander???
    Last edited by buxz777; 12-14-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    is it the flashing thats putting people off i wonder???
    Most likely. I personally cannot find the time right now to do this and if there is an official firmware upgrade to come soon I'll probably wait for it first. I know that if all goes well it shouldn't take more than half an hour but on the other hand I would rather plan for an extra couple of hours just in case it all goes wrong. I just can't risk rushing through it and possibly ending up without a working handset right before I need to go somewhere.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    I'm an avid tinkerer, however there just isn't enough in this cfw yet to warrant my time flashing and setting up my phone again.

Signing apps takes less than a minute so no real gain there.

The camera mods are nice but imo not significant enough without UI mods.

Themes and icon packs are all just eye candy and to me are simply unimportant.

IMO there just isn't enough significant change in this cfw, and with a Nokia official update soon it all just seems a bit pointless to me at this stage.

For now I'm happy to sit back and wait to see what Nokia come up with.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james_uk9 View Post
    I'm an avid tinkerer, however there just isn't enough in this cfw yet to warrant my time flashing and setting up my phone again.

Signing apps takes less than a minute so no real gain there.

The camera mods are nice but imo not significant enough without UI mods.

Themes and icon packs are all just eye candy and to me are simply unimportant.

IMO there just isn't enough significant change in this cfw, and with a Nokia official update soon it all just seems a bit pointless to me at this stage.

For now I'm happy to sit back and wait to see what Nokia come up with.
    I'm pretty much the same as you.

I have the camera mod installed so i get larger image files already so thats no biggy, also with the signing as i dont install that much signing isnt a problem tbh it only takes a minute.

I do think this is the start of something great, though i wish they drop the i8910 and just focus on the N8

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yep agreed for some people there wont be enough to flash their handset but iam well up for messing with phoneix and flashing my n8 and the mods add up quite nicely for me and made it worthwhile

i do see why some have no need to do it though i just thought more people would have been doing it

the risk is very small if phoneix is installed properley and can read the phone ok and all the mods add up to a nice 1st custom firmware from faenil

yeah i wish the i8910 support would stop and they would concentrate on s3 but i guess they are ongoing projects they dont want to abandon :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Most likely. I personally cannot find the time right now to do this and if there is an official firmware upgrade to come soon I'll probably wait for it first. I know that if all goes well it shouldn't take more than half an hour but on the other hand I would rather plan for an extra couple of hours just in case it all goes wrong. I just can't risk rushing through it and possibly ending up without a working handset right before I need to go somewhere.
    Yes it is not a task to rush first or fiftieth time of doing.

As for what this cooked firmware offers, buxz has already said. I can't wait for new ones and the official ones. I started out liking my N8, but now it's grown on me. My poor N900 is now used for playing with and breaking on purpose to see what will and won't work in Linux on it. I don't even miss the keyboard that much, Swype is easy with one thumb. Still miss it's browser though.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    finally got around to doing it and its all gone nice and smoothly using an XP VM.

I restored from backup and only had a couple of things to reinstall, now will see how it goes

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    the phone is saying there is an update available that i need to install using the PC, OVI says there's no updates though.

Anyone else got this?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i just installed it mate :-)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    how did you install it? it wont let me on the phone and doesnt show any available updates through OVI

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    You can now install any of the mods in the CFW without flashing the phone.

http://i8910tuning.com/

For me the browser mod has been great, feels faster and definitely crashes less.
    Last edited by nutley; 12-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    You can now install any of the mods in the CFW without flashing the phone.

[N8] H2O Mods pack! Choose the mod you want without flashing! | faenil's pit

For me the browser mod has been great, feels faster and definitely crashes less.
    I think you need to have already flashed the phone once to hack it, the mods are unsigned.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    I think you need to have already flashed the phone once to hack it, the mods are unsigned.
    they would just need signing wouldn't they? That's what I thought anyway.

Thanks
    they would just need signing wouldn't they? That's what I thought anyway.
    Yes, that's the other alternative. I personally find it easier to flash my phone rather than go through the painful process of obtaining a certificate and key.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the other alternative. I personally find it easier to flash my phone rather than go through the painful process of obtaining a certificate and key.
    what is so painful about it really? i found it rather easy to get a cert & key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jake20 View Post
    what is so painful about it really? i found it rather easy to get a cert & key.
    It takes days as opposed to minutes and you have to then sign each app rather get it done once and for all.

I am not to keen either on following instructions in English translated from Chinese only marginally better than Google would do it.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    It takes days as opposed to minutes and you have to then sign each app rather get it done once and for all.

I am not to keen either on following instructions in English translated from Chinese only marginally better than Google would do it.
    I find it takes about 30 seconds to sign an app, the instructions are here somewhere in plain English too. There's a chance of bricking your phone with a firmware flash but not with installing what is effectively an app.

Anyway just thought I'd post it up as someone might have been interested in this method rather than a full flash, which can be fairly daunting.
    Last edited by nutley; 12-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    faenil has listed all the mods here H2O SIS ModsPack + explanation of all mods in H2O by faenil

he also explains what each mod does and how to install mods etc if you dont wish to flash your handset

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

dynomot (12-21-2010), geraldo42 (12-21-2010)

Thanks
    It would seem you need the file browser from the RnD toolkit in order to make these sis installable mods work. Does anybody have a link to said file browser please? it would seem it's not easily available.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i downloaded the sis file package and it comes as a sis file that needs to be signed mate

are you sure that you need the file browser?? is it not in the mods sis package??

Thanks
    i downloaded the sis file package and it comes as a sis file that needs to be signed mate

are you sure that you need the file browser?? is it not in the mods sis package??

I have the sis installer, signed and installs no problem. The documentation states that you need to delete files from c:/private though for them to work properly and you can't see the private folders with the standard file browser :/

"- ONCE YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE MODS, REMEMBER TO DELETE THE CORRESPONDING .CRE FILE IN C:/PRIVATE/10202BE9/persists/ , and then REBOOT. YOU CAN SEE THE NAME OF THE FILE YOU HAVE TO DELETE FROM THE DOCUMENTATION BELOW! FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL THE GALLERY MOD, INSTALL THE SIS, THEN GO TO C:/PRIVATE/10202BE9/PERSISTS/ AND DELETE 102828AC.cre and 200009FE.cre IF THERE IS ANY!"

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yep i did see that but i was thjinking that as the file browser is a mod that maybe it was included in the sis file package but obvously not

have you tryed a different file browser like y browser if the phone is hacked (via the sis file) then you may have access to the folder you want via any 3rd party filemanager like ybrowser or xplore just not the standard s60 file browser

it may not work but its worth ago

edit
    ill check another website for you
    Last edited by buxz777; 12-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

james_uk9 (12-22-2010)

Thanks
    you may have access to the folder you want via any 3rd party filemanager like ybrowser or xplore
    Neither of them supports (officially) S^3. I haven't bothered testing, I don't have the time.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    2shared - download FileBrowser S^3 Hacked.zip

the link above is for the file manager you want/need

hope it works

ps
    needs signing :-)

38. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

james_uk9 (12-22-2010)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Neither of them supports (officially) S^3. I haven't bothered testing, I don't have the time.
    are you sure 93 ive seen ybrowser in ovi store and bought it as i like it on other s60 devices iam yet to try it on n8 as it was only purchased the other night , infact i forgot i even bought it untill now lol

ill give it a whirl allthough ive already uploaded the new s3 file browser :-)

Thanks
    'Y' browser is not officially supported for S^3, but does work fine.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:

james_uk9 (12-22-2010)

Thanks

hope it works

ps
    Won't install, even after signing. Thanks for your help though mate.

Thanks
    Xplore works on N8

Thanks

hope it works

ps
    It works only for hacked phones..signing won't help

Thanks
    Thanks for a great guide buxz777, phone hacked no problems. The only issue I had was when I did a full restore from backup the WLAN stopped working, but that's just a minor issue, a re-flash, partial backup and set the WLAN manually...all good...

One question though, will the Nokia updates that are due to be released next month still work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robiko View Post
    Thanks for a great guide buxz777, phone hacked no problems. The only issue I had was when I did a full restore from backup the WLAN stopped working, but that's just a minor issue, a re-flash, partial backup and set the WLAN manually...all good...

One question though, will the Nokia updates that are due to be released next month still work?
    It is thought not, and we'll have to flash manually with Phoenix again. It should automatically update if we reflash with Nokia firmware, as per normal.

Thanks
    it will dyno mate , worst case scenario will be to download the latest firmware from navifirm and then flash again with phoneix :-)

i havent run this custom firmware yet but iam defently tempted :-) lots of little things included that makes this firmware sound tempting to try

faenil will also be working on a qt app so that you can change settings on the fly ie open qt app then change things like camera compression , video bit rates , video compression , audio levels , maybe cpu speeds etc etc

at the minute they have access to cdrive but the team working on these projects are immensly talented with alot of symbian background knowledge infact most of the rom patcher stuff and things like that were done by people that faenil is now working with

hyper x wont want to be left in faenils hacking shadows either infact i expect him to hit back with his own firmware within 14 days max :-) this is how its been for the i8910 etc :-)

hats of to faenil for getting this out while he is so busy with uni work etc

iam running phoneix on a vista 32bit machine fine dyno what are your unning windows 7??

chers mate hope your well

iam so tempted to do this but its just rebuilding the phone again after the flash ie my apps and stuff takes a little while to restore and i dont know if i have time today

however the mods do seem like itll be worth flashing :-) hummmmmm what to do :-)
    Hi buxz777,

I'm new in many ways, but I've been doing a lot of researching and your blogs as well as many other forum members blogs [like dyno, nutley, 93tid, off the top of my head] have greatly helped me learn and appreciate my nokia N8.

Introductions out of the way,
    I flashed with phoenix to debrand at pr1.0. No problem.
    Updated ota to pr1.1. No problem.
    Problem is this:

1. The hacked UDA for 11.12 might work for 11.12, but it doesn't seem to work for 13.16 after OTA upgrade from pr1.0.
    2. The hacked UDA for 13.16 might work for 13.16, but it is NOT working for me on 13.16 after flashing using Navifirm+ firmware files.
    3. File folder access discrepancy. On the phone, phone memory (E, F, C), shows folders Sound Files> Ringtones or Sound Clips AND Video Files. On Win7x64 laptop it shows via USB connected (ovi suite mode), folders Sounds> Digital or Simple AND Videos.

Number 3 is important for me because I do a lot of voice recordings and cannot access the phone Sound Clip files through PC's USB direct connection. Is there a FIX OR a better workaround than to connect using OVI Suite and extracting video files?

Number 1 and 2 are not as important because I don't have any APPS in mind that I would like signed. It would be convenient later on, but so far it doesn't seem to work, specifically after a firmware update. I have the hacked UDA 13.16 installed, is this file NOT crucial?

(It says optional on Phoenix and doesn't have official UDA on navifirm+)

----Basically, I'm having trouble with the hacked UDA I downloaded for 11.12. Do you have a link for hacked UDA 13.16 or is it the same file as hack UDA 11.12 just renamed?

Lastly, if you can direct me to a brief explanation of what the acronym (MCU, PPM, CNT, APE or the files that are being flashed) that would also be greatly appreciated.

(note: I'm sorry if it's against the rules, but I copy pasted my question to another forum I got the hacked uda from, let me know. thanks).

p.s. I'm flashing with nam 13.16 version.
    p.p.s. I didn't use the links you provided in first post for the hacked UDA (maybe that is the problem), I figured your post was before the update and I might need a new hacked UDA to work. Link would be helpful.
    Last edited by redtho; 02-20-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
    It is thought not, and we'll have to flash manually with Phoenix again. It should automatically update if we reflash with Nokia firmware, as per normal.
    PR1.1 will update normally, even with modded firmware.

Thanks
    PR1.1 will update normally, even with modded firmware.
    :
    Not for me it didn't. My N8 with PR 1.0 generic GB firmware after flashing with Phoenix gave me Vodafone branded PR 1.1 when I updated with Ovi Suite. I had to flash generic PR 1.1 GB firmware with Phoenix to debrand again. Indeed a little experiment using Ovi Suite once I'd upgraded gave me Vodafone PR 1.1, proving I'd need a product code change to debrand permanently.

Thanks
    Probably it's something to do with Ovi Suite reading the product code and flashing it with the appropriate upgrade, I flashed OTA and I don't see any O2 rebranding...

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Robiko For This Useful Post:

dynomot (02-21-2011)

Thanks
    I'll try OTA next time.

Thanks
    I'm curious to know what changed with your update? When you say you got the Vodafone branded PR1.1 what do you mean?
    If you mean you had to wait until the update became available for a Vodafone product code then I had the same on my O2 branded phone, but I see no visible signs on my phone that it has changed anything...

Thanks
    Would appreciate a comment from my earlier post.

Dyno, I'm able to confirm that the OTA update to 1.1 from 1.0 worked for me as well. Next time, as in 2.0, I will not do OTA. Messed up the OVI suite sync, had to uninstall and reinstall.

Can someone tell me two things regarding 1.1 - I don't have another Nokia N8 to compare with and would like to know if it's a problem or feature.

-volume key stopped changing music sound track with pr1.1
    -the OVI maps> events> show the wrong date for today

If it's a problem, can someone tell me the fix? (I hope it's not the BAD Sectors) thanks.

Thanks
    I'm curious to know what changed with your update? When you say you got the Vodafone branded PR1.1 what do you mean?
    If you mean you had to wait until the update became available for a Vodafone product code then I had the same on my O2 branded phone, but I see no visible signs on my phone that it has changed anything...
    OK, I updated to PR1.1 using generic non branded firmware using Phoenix. Then, out of a perverse sense of curiosity I decided to see what would happen if I let Ovi Suite reinstall the firmware. It gave me Vodafone branded PR 1.1. So I reflashed again with Phoenix to get the plain UK variant of PR 1.1.

To further confuse matters, software update on enter phone tells me PR 1.1 is available and to updated via PC and Ovi Suite, it obviously reads product codes as I have it.
    Last edited by dynomot; 02-26-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12