my initial impressions on pr1.1 on the n8
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts

my initial impressions on pr1.1 on the n8

hi everyone as you know i love messing about with my phones and when peste19 linked up a method of how to get an early version of this firmware running on the n8 i took the plunge and couldnt resist

now i initiialy had troubles with the beta firmware due to errors on my own behalf , i took a fully fledged kitted out n8 and installed quite a big update straight over the top and to top it off navifirm is missing uda files for this firmware so iam sure that didnt help

i basically formatted the device clean and installed pr1.1 fresh and was greeted with a much better experience

i thought id take a few minutes to share my inital impressions of what i found on this update incase anyone is intrested

the n8 to me has had a good job of launch firmware but it was still slightly unresponseive in soem places on odd ocassions for example my kinetic scrolling could be bit eratic in places , most of the time fine , but now and again it would jerk or judder .

the multi touch was defently good but it could have been a bit smoother wouldnt you say

well to me pr1.1 is taking what we allready have a fine tuning it , the kinetic scrolling feels much better , the web browser although not new does seem to be more optimised maybe better coding or system files being better organised or allocated better or mayb even a new kernel who know but nokia unless we get a changelog , but it defently feels a little bit smoother and pages are loading quicker

there seems to be many optimisations going on , from screen auto rotate speeds to general moving around the phone menus jeeese i dont know if its just me but even the t9 txt entry seems to keep up better and feels smoother

the web browser is pretty much the same and please dont expect split txt entry or toatally new web browsers yet --- big changes like this will obvously be for pr2.0 and nokia may showcase this at the phone confrence soon

however back to pr1.1

after a fresh install iam really liking it and thought id best write a little piece on it as i might have seemed negative about it in my 1st posts in another thread due to a bad install of the firmware

it seems stable so far and ive already installed approx 35-50 apps and it hasnt slowed it down through the menus , it hasnt crashed once and ive even noticed that some little bugs have been ironed out which is all adding up to nice user experience

id love to see a changelog for pr1.1 as things have defently been optimised and improoved which is a nice foundation for pr2.0

dont forget this is still beta fimrware it could be final release as its evaluation firmware for the n8 but it could still be liable for changes

if you have any questions ill do my best to awnswer them

id also like to add for the sake of a few days or weeks i wouldnt rush and learn how to use phoneix for this method as its a bit messy when you 1st use phoneix although there are some great guides out in this forym and others , the fimrware is running good but its just taken the n8 and smoothed it out a bit theres nothing major to get excited about yet so in my views its probs just worth waiting and using nsu which will preserve your data and stuff which will also save alot of time

like i say if you have ay questions feel free to ask and ill try an awnswer them
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-13-2011 at 09:55 PM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

BubbaHotepUK (01-14-2011), cambo (01-13-2011), derch (01-13-2011), dynomot (01-13-2011), markyboy (01-14-2011), MilgeS (01-13-2011), Moz (01-13-2011), MrNice (01-14-2011), nutley (01-14-2011), princeofindia (01-15-2011), Quist (01-14-2011), spirit44 (01-14-2011), Stumpy (01-13-2011), Tommie (01-13-2011), tribalmasters (01-14-2011), Wookie (01-13-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Near Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Very imformative buzzx777, and I thank you.
    Think I will wait for the update to come through though, rather than meddle with something I am not too confident on doing..
    Cheers, tho.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    wasn't this supposed to be the 50+ upgrades? how many have you noticed so far anything big?

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    hi derch mate hope your well

this is pr1.1 im sure there are many many improovements , it certainly feels snappier in pretty much all areas but sadly it isnt pr2.0 with approx 50+ new changes to the o/s and ui

as it stands pr1.1 has taken the n8 and fixed and ironed out some f its rough edges things like screen sensitivity seem to be a bit nicer to the touch and little things like the music screensaver having little colour accents like the xpress music range (think5800 red and blue themes) are all little nice touches which do add up to a worthy upgrade

ive noticed my battery hasnt takenas much of a hit when installing apps and the handset didnt get as hot it could be coincidence or again it could be better programming or other little tweks nokia could have made

id really love o see some changelogs but i can also understand why companys wouldnt like to issue them its like saying they did mess up fimrware , on the flip side though its also good to see what they are fixing for sure etc

to many users this pr1.1 wont be to much intrest but i think its defently a good foundation for pr2.0 to be laid on and it may yet see imrpoovements before final release lets not forget it is still in evaluation section on navifirm
    Last edited by buxz777; 01-13-2011 at 10:00 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

Stuart1973 (01-13-2011)

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Hey Buxz thanks for being our guinea pig. I'm looking forward to this update now even if it isn't "the big one".

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Thanks for taking the plunge.

Have to say, this sounds a lot like the improvements we're seeing in this software update out today. Kind of makes you go - hhhmmm.

Thanks
    Your a brave man Buxz- i was content to stick with the generic firmware for the moment. Good on you

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    cheers for taking the time to tinker about with it for us! Just one question though, if we install this update 'over the air' when it arrives, won't we experience the same problems you had as it won't be installing itself on a 'clean' phone?

Thanks
    Here is the changelog for the PR1.1 from alex68 from mynokiablog.com. http://mynokiablog.com/2011/01/13/ne...#comment-30824

Here is what alex68 says:

"Guys, verify features and bug fixes for 1.1. I wish I remembered correctly and figured out everything…

- New features : landscape dialer, search for music, pictures and etc with new split input interface (cool), cached web pages with forward and backword buttons, configuration of view for functions,(grid and list), navigation using address from contact book

- Bug fixes: WLAN search, the functionality of not saving the message for SMS, keyboard …

- Touch responsiveness : people should have receive with yesterdays’ update

- stability

- minor improvement in mail setup and etc

If you have bought phone lately, it might have some of these things already even though the firmware release date was Sep 18. depending on production time of course."

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
    Here is the changelog for the PR1.1 from alex68 from mynokiablog.com. New Nokia N8 PR1.1 Firmware v13.15 now available on Navifirm : My Nokia Blog

- New features : landscape dialer, search for music, pictures and etc with new split input interface (cool), cached web pages with forward and backword buttons, configuration of view for functions,(grid and list), navigation using address from contact book
    "
    I notice that landscape dialer is in the new features does this meen that incoming calls answer reject screen will also be landscape. (I use my sat nav in the car in landsape would be nice to see the receved calls that way too)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
    cheers for taking the time to tinker about with it for us! Just one question though, if we install this update 'over the air' when it arrives, won't we experience the same problems you had as it won't be installing itself on a 'clean' phone?
    no you will be fine , i used phoneix with some missing files , uda file and 16gb mass memory file wernt there and th firmware was for scandanavia where as my phone was from uk add that to the fact its still evaluation software then iam sure it was either a bad flash or conflicting files from two different firmware types

over the air will update just componenets that need doing (usaully) and nsu will flash the handset in its on way

both of which will be safe for the end user

if the update is big and alot of changes then it may be worth resetting the device before install which i have done before on some big updates as i personally wanted a clean install

Nokia User
    Thanks
    buxz mate - great piece of information.
    Ps: hope you get back to me