Three apps I'd really like to see on my N8 and a little rambling wish list
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

Lightbulb Three apps I'd really like to see on my N8 and a little rambling wish list

There's no real point to this topic, just musing to myself and thought maybe a few others may find a smidgen of interest in my brain plop.

I am in no rush for a replacement browser, portrait qwerty keyboard or any of the other "fluff". What I do find to be deficient are the lack of three really important applications from third parties, who make vague hints to wait and see (and have been doing so since day 1).

1) Skype with video calling. I hate that I have to use my PC to see my kids when I'm working away from home. I hate even more that Skype knocked out Fring's work-around solution when they don't seem to offer an alternative and, worse, it doesn't even seem to make good commercial sense.

2) Audible player. Surely it can't be too taxing to port either the java app or one of the symbian apps to work on S^3?

3) Amazon Kindle reader. This will never happen, of that I'm sure, but I would have loved this when my wife reappropriated my Kindle during our holiday and refuses to give it back.

I'd willingly pay £20 or so for each of these, more for the Skype client.

If I were greedy, which I am, I'd also quite like a remote desktop (RDP / Terminal Services) client and the a utility to treat the N8 as an extended desktop display under Windows 7 - I know the resolution's low but it's sufficient for my purposes when I'm on the go, although Fring and the Exchange email client allow me to make do.

In the near future, I hope Nokia and MS together make Windows 'Phone into a decent workhorse and Nokia bring something akin to the E7 out but with the N8's camera and removable storage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Skype with video calling works brilliantly over 3G and Wi-Fi on the N900. I'd love to see it on the N8 as well.
    This forum taught me all I know - use search and let it teach you too !

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    One things that bugs me is the lack of a Napster client for Symbian.

It's bonkers. The N8 supports Windows DRM, which Napster uses, so I can drag & drop all 12million tracks onto the N8 (well, I could if I had the storage & time) for playing, but I can't stream to the N8. Whereas on the HTC Desire I've got the Napster client for streaming, but can't drag & drop because Android doesn't support the DRM. Yaaargh!

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Full dlna client , better streaming apps like androids movies and tv shows apps , proper ebay app like android and ios , kindle would be nice ,

They would make my n8 extremley happy

The android streaming apps for tv shows and films are really good . I mauy email the dev and see what he can do for symbian , if he is even intrested in symbian . there is a big user base so if he can code it and sell it for £2 he will be quid in for sure :-)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Yes, proportionally there is money to made in Symbian apps I reckon. For every Android app you can pay for, there are probably about 5 free ones that do the same thing. That's not true on the Ovi store, the only question for developers is whether it is worth the long term investment.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    Yes, proportionally there is money to made in Symbian apps I reckon. For every Android app you can pay for, there are probably about 5 free ones that do the same thing. That's not true on the Ovi store, the only question for developers is whether it is worth the long term investment.
    Along that same line though, could they not write an app for WP and then use QT to port it to Symbian or the same thing for Android or iOS apps? Or do I have my ideas about what QT actually does confused?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    For now on the top of my wish list is Skype with video calling...........