Anyone going to buy the Nokia 808?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nokia User
    Thanks

Anyone going to buy the Nokia 808?

and live in the US?
    I really want one, but the price is a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I'm planning to but I'm going to wait a while till the price get's lower. The price for the Symbian version should decrease in price dramatically over time since Elops put it on death row.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    so far the cheapest I have found it for a USA seller was $699
    how much cheaper do you think it would drop?

i want a white one

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I'm not in the USA- plan to get the phone, but will wait until it drops in price and I've read a few reviews.

My N8 camera does me for the moment- will be interesting to see of Pureview can produce better pictures- if so, how much better?!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    When I got my new N8 I got it for $442.96. Amazon now sells it for $309.00. So That's about $140 drop in price in a year and a half or more. If that pureview had android on it, I'd gladly get it for $699.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Selling one of my N9`s, and have pre ordered a 808 from Play.com.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I haven't been keeping my finger on the pulse recently and was unaware of the 808 until I popped in here. I've checked out the reviews so far and looked at the specs. So correct me if I have missed something - it seems to me to be not much different than my N8 except a monster of a camera capability, Dolby Sound, tap and share, micro sim and probably a few tech specs improvement. I've located a seller [pre order] at £464 which aint too bad. So I am considering going for one but not right away, it's a bit like buying a new car, everything that can go wrong will do in its first months of use. The only thing going for it for me is the camera. The down side is the micro sim cause my network do not do one - I don't think [checking on that now]. But asside from the camera capability I cannot determine any increase in capability over my lovely N8 [Belle] which is excellent - no glitches, hang ups or other issues that are not 'user' orientated. So at the moment it seems to be down to whether I need or want the improved camera. Comments.

Thanks
    I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as you TQ335 - my N8 does everything I'm wanting a phone to do- why change it?!

I do take a lot of photos- so yeah the new camera is a big plus . . . think i'll be looking about for a decent price and if i can source an Pureview for £350 I'll maybe go for it.

I bought my N8 from Nokia direct for £430 minus 20% (Quidco) -got it for about £350. If I can do the same with a Pureview and sell my old N8 for a decent price its only going to cost me £200 roughly to change.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    NAVVARR - I got my N8 for £230 off a punter on flea bay. As new but the screen had been changed at some point because whoever did it left their stick fingerprint on the replacement. Been meaning to sort it but have not got around to bothering it doesn't irritate me enough yet. So if I fix that issue then I think I could get a decent price for it and flog me N958Gb so like you not much to find. But I'll give it a while yet.

Thanks
    I am def getting it.I use the camera all the time so it's a natural upgrade for me.plus the version of symbian on the pure view will be a slight upgrade as well.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The camera on the phone is still my top priority...so I may upgrade to this phone...if it's waterproof, then I definite jump on it.
    The spec still bother me.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by huy30 View Post
    The camera on the phone is still my top priority...so I may upgrade to this phone...if it's waterproof, then I definite jump on it.
    The spec still bother me.
    Well for the camera alone if it is as good as they say then its worth it. A similar profile camera like a Cannon will cost more than the phone.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Yea.. besides the camera being a lot better (hopefully) than the N8..
    It will also have..

a video light in addition to brighter xenon flash
    bigger 4" screen
    double the Ram of the N8, 1 GB ROM, 512 MB RAM
    NFC chip
    faster 1.3 GHz ARM 11 CPU
    bigger battery Li-Ion 1400 mAh (BV-4D)

If I can get this for around $550 USD I would pre-order right now

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I will be happy if it has 1 GB RAM....but with cfw 512 MB should be ok.
    Bigger screen but same resolution as N8.
    Should be at least dual-core CPU....quad-core's rolling out.
    Hope they sell around 500-550 USD here.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Having got used to the big 800x480 screens, going back to 640x360 (which Symbian seems to have stalled at) just feels too limiting for web & email usage.

I'm really interested in an N8 vs 808 photo death match, just to see what the real world difference between them is.
    Last edited by BubbaHotepUK; 04-23-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    for me id love the 808 and a little while ago i was a dead cert to buy it however when i went back to the n8 i missed so much about the sgs2 and android , for example

#netflix on the go via 3g
    #web browser literally 25x better then nokias and i use it a lot
    #streaming media content via dlna only seems to work one way on symbian
    #social networking experience
    #contact and phone syncing works so much better on android
    #the resoloution , now iam used to the higher res going back was noticeable especially on web browsing and txt
    #apps and games to expand the device and make it last longer - dev support is shrinking all the time on symbian

i think it will be a great camera device and symbian will still be very capable especially with people who know how to get the best out of it but iam going to stick to my canon ixus 230hs and my sgs2 for a while longer as it gives me the best of both worlds and if i had the 808 id need a ipod touch or something for web browsing etc so i may as well have a small dedicated camera and a high end smartphone with great web capabillities

however a pure view camera on a windows 8 nokia with micro sd support etc etc could defo tempt me :-)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    It'll be interesting if a Pureview-like technology comes up from another manufacturer - maybe Sony, for example. I'd be surprised if Nokia could actually patent it as a general concept, as noise reduction via "stacking" has been used in multiple industries over the years, though no doubt there are technical specifics Nokia do have a stranglehold on.

Maybe Nokia should license the technology? They need all the revenue they can get, and I'd guess that it's not enough of a "must-have" feature, outside of the enthusiast market, to attract people into buying Windows phones.

I'd love it on an Android device of course - but I still suspect the pseudo-zoom image quality probably only matches a cheapo compact camera with a 3x optical zoom. I would hope to be proven wrong, of course

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Sorry Nokia but after 25 years of Nokia phones, I'm going to HTC One X, I'm not interested in your Windows phones. So bye bye Nokia, it was great while it lasted.

Update - I've cancelled the HTC and have pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3 instead.
    Last edited by smartpulse; 05-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    "Another one bites the dust"

Nokia should have got Queen to do thier new theme music.

The lack of App. development will probably have me changing to Android as well but the N8 has a bit of life left in it yet and we still haven't got Belle.
    Vodafone NZ dragging the chain big time.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    j4444lh - Yup a shame bout that but it does depend on what you want from yer phone. Had I not got Belle when I did then there is a good chance that I might have ditched the N8 and gone to Android. However, Belle is a significant difference for me and enough to keep me happy for a while yet. I'm not interested in 'Apps' so that issue does not bother me. The only thing I have changed in my 'user profile' is I now use Opera [mini] because the included browser is pants. But its hard to imagine where to go from here post 808........

Thanks

For sure

I plan to get the 808 for sure. The best specs ever on a Nokia device. As long as Nokia fix the FLV playback problems with Belle , I think I'll be very happy with this phone.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    jeelh, you can get Belle cfw for your N8 from another forum...so dont have to wait from Nokia. Cfw is alot better anyways.

Thanks
    I'll be getting one.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    @huy30, I know, wish I'd done it ages ago, we got the Anna update straight away so I didn't think Belle would take this long.
    It should be here soon though, Vodafone say they should be finished testing today so I'll wait now. They don't put too much rubish on.

@TQ335, I'm not a great app user either but there are a few I'd like, banking, airline booking.

Pre-order for the 808 here is just over a grand so I might be tempted in a few months as I am a camera fan.
    I'll wait for the "in the wild" reviews though, pitty they didn't give it a bit more Ram and a bigger battery, don't understand the logic there, if you are going to have a dump for the camera, why not make the whole thing thicker and get some decent time out of it, same applied to the N8.

Thanks
    i will get one for sure

Thanks

Samsung Galaxy s3 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by patcaleb View Post
    I plan to get the 808 for sure. The best specs ever on a Nokia device. As long as Nokia fix the FLV playback problems with Belle , I think I'll be very happy with this phone.
    I was going to go for the 808 pureview for sure , but after seeing the specs and reviews for the SGS3 I have had a change of mind. The SGS3 is now the device I intend to get. Although I've been using Symbian for well over 10 years now. How can I ignore upto 128 GB of storage with Micro SDXC support, 4 quad processor power , 4.8 inch screen, large 2100mah battery , simultaneous picture taking whilst recording video, and all the application compatibility that I could want ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patcaleb View Post
    I was going to go for the 808 pureview for sure , but after seeing the specs and reviews for the SGS3 I have had a change of mind. The SGS3 is now the device I intend to get. Although I've been using Symbian for well over 10 years now. How can I ignore upto 128 GB of storage with Micro SDXC support, 4 quad processor power , 4.8 inch screen, large 2100mah battery , simultaneous picture taking whilst recording video, and all the application compatibility that I could want ?
    Yeah, I must admit I'm considering an SG3- its one beast of a phone.
    Also heard today that Nokia is ditching symbian faster than planned and that Symbian Carla may never be released for the pureview- which is a blow.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Yes, the only thing I want to upgrade from N8 to 808 is the camera.

After I saw the specs and features of SGS3, I may conisder this one over 808.

Thanks
    i have pre ordered mine. the camera is whats important for me.

Thanks
    I'm now probably going to get one for the camera only (my fiance will use it as her daily phone, beyond a few simple requirements she doesn't actually need all the stuff available for other platforms).
    N95 owner since April '07
    Phone 'rig': Samsung Galaxy Note with Sandisk 64GB MicroSDXC, HTC One X, Black N82 V20 firmware HACKED, Samsung HS3000 receiver, Nokia DT-22 tripod, Gorillapod, iGo Ultraslim Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, Phonejoy, Datel Retro Wireless, Zeemote, Dell Bluetooth Mouse, MHL adapter, USB OTG cable, Zephyr HxM BT heart rate monitor!
    Audio rig:
    USB DACs - ASUS Xonar Essence One desktop DAC, FiiO E17 portable, FiiO E7, HeadAmp PICO USB DAC/Amp
    Headphones - Audeze LCD-2, Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD25-I II, ACS T15, AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic T5p

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The camera phone is still #1 for me....but I do like the feature of SGS3 that you can take picture while recording video.
    I bought a compact water proof camera last month...so I dont know that I still camera phone or not.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Since this thread started I have been considering the issue of getting the808 or not and analyzing whether I really do want it or a better alternative. I went through the same process before all my 'upgrades' but this time it is different. I am a committed Nokia fan and user and have been since 2002 having only bothered with Nokia phones. Here is my list of 'pros' and 'cons' which may be or not be of interest.
    PROS
    1. I like the build quality and ruggedness of Nokia. So far - I have never once had an issue and never had a phone fail me [except when I dropped one down the bog!!!That don't count.]
    2. I like Symbian and especially Belle - why? I find it very simple to work around in it and feel it is far more intuitive than Android.
    3. Symbian does not make you dependent upon the software provider to carry out certain functions/processes as does Android.
    4. I find that my N8 provides every facility that I need and use almost every day and easily without problems except in handling spreadsheets which it is totally useless. [See cons]
    5. I use the camera a lot and also store full length films to watch when away from home, this is effortless.
    6. I get good battery life and have never been left 'powerless'.
    CONS

1. Office functions are woeful.
    2. Some functions in 'Mail' and message handling are a bit cumbersome and require a bit more thought.
    3. Web browsing and service connection [WiFi] is not as smooth as I would like - even with Opera.
    4. 'Social' functionality is clunky and some aspects are limiting but I can work around that if I need to.
    5. It is too difficult for me to create an integrated record of a specific event. Such as for example - at a particular event I want to record notes, photos/video and sound only and text messages/mail all of which I want in one folder with each item linked to the same subject so that when I access the folder, everything is there in order. Now I know you can do this relatively easily but its a manual process that you have to set up beforehand and that can take time which is inappropriate in some cases. My mate has an Android and can do this so simple - on a timeline event - that is all phone activity specified on a calender between dates and times is saved to a single folder for export or viewing later. I think it an 'ap' but he says not.

So far, I am wavering on migrating from Nokia but not decided. If I can find an Android phone that will give me ALL of what I want without compromise, then I might just try it. So far I have not found one.

One other issue that I have with Android and in particular Apple products is that there is a very serious security issue. [I won't go on about it] Suffice it to say that all of the issues on this matter and related to Android do not affect Nokia in the same way and Nokia users can render their phones 'Safe' without loosing functionality. Android users cannot and as a consequence Android users pay a lot for the phone but only get safe functionality for less than 50% of its core features. That is why so many iPhone users want a 'Jailbreaked' phone.

Ah well we shall see. For the moment my N8 is just fine but when I sell it then it will go for £190. [I paid £250]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Regarding the "Social" functionality I can strongly recommend Gravity, which is fantastic, albeit relatively expensive.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ335 View Post
    Ah well we shall see. For the moment my N8 is just fine but when I sell it then it will go for £190. [I paid £250]
    I think you will find it very difficult to sell the N8 for that price to be honest imo.

Thanks
    I'll be getting one.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuper View Post
    I think you will find it very difficult to sell the N8 for that price to be honest imo.
    Well you might be right but a quick search 5 minutes ago turned up a shed load of N8's for sale varying from 'Unused' to 'excellent' condition with prices £140 to £200. If I cannot get a half decent price then I shall keep as a back up in case the N808 [or other if I go that way] proves to be a bag of cack.

Cheers

Nokia User
    Thanks
    i got a used N8 today for $170usd....around £110

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well I got my S3 and after 25 years of Nokia finiding my feet. Only a couple of things that are messing with my head no physical screen lock, unable to download programs from iplayer to watch later, have to stream. and FM transmitter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smartpulse View Post
    Well I got my S3 and after 25 years of Nokia finiding my feet. Only a couple of things that are messing with my head no physical screen lock, unable to download programs from iplayer to watch later, have to stream. and FM transmitter.

No Iplayer download?- No FM transmitter- thats a deal breaker for me I'm afraid- I had been considering a move to SG3 - looks like a great phone. -Bit out off by the size of the screen- its almost.... too big- does that sound daft??

I'm stil swithering about the Pureview- my N8 is just fantastic- apart from the camera- I'd be paying a load of cash for basically the same phone.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smartpulse View Post
    cant you just flick the power switch once dude? that should turn the screen off and lock it :-) youll get used to it dont worry :-)

as for the downloads off iplayer iam on giffgaff so can just stream when i want due to unlimited data , there are loads of options for that , netflix , myplayer , iplayer etc etc

theres also the web with full flash support :-) iam sure you can find some other stuff that will cure your iplayer fix buddy :-) like downloading the tv programs from other places rather then iplayer if you get me :-) the internet on the sgs series of phones is top notch but to download any type of file download an app called ''download all files'' from the market youll find it :-)

give it a fair crack of the whip and iam sure youll enjoy the phone like mad :-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 06-08-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Here's a real-world non-Nokia released taster of what the 808 can do - All sizes | 2012-06-08-0295 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Thanks
    thats a great shot. very impressive

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    With all these pictures and videos on the Internet (in particular the Mumford and sons concert video) I'm getting increasingly tempted..

Thanks
    I'm still swithering- I do want one- I take a lot of photos with my N8 - the Pureview would be used to its full potential.

Pricewise- I'm not really wanting to spend £500 on a new phone and sell my N8 for £150...- for me its coming down to how much the price differential is to change.... but yeah- those photos and videos out there are tempting me to change.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    £500 is a lot to shell out, especially as it's likely to depreciate quickly like the N8 did.
    Having said that if I do buy it I should be able to get quite a decent price for the 4S so won't have to pay much more. Hmmm decisions...

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
    £500 is a lot to shell out, especially as it's likely to depreciate quickly like the N8 did.
    Having said that if I do buy it I should be able to get quite a decent price for the 4S so won't have to pay much more. Hmmm decisions...
    why not think about getting a decent pocket camera and keep your iphone 4s mate , i think youll regret it 6 months down the line

the only reason youll buy the 808 is for the camera

check out these tiny cameras

Canon IXUS 230 HS review: Verdict | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Compact cameras

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX100 Reviews

the ixus might be the better all round performer out of them two ive used it / owned it , its very very nice and fits in any pocket

if you dont mond something a bit bigger you can get the tz8 for under £100 on ebay

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8 review | Expert Reviews

or there is the canon sx220hs which you can pick up for around £170

Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Review | PhotographyBLOG

both the tz8 and canon sx220 have manual modes and auto modes and high zoom lenses and both take a very good picture :-)

i would seriously be happy adding any of the above to a iphone4s rather then selling the iphone 4s and buying a 808

Thanks
    Nice part about getting the 808 Pureview is being able to take it to a concert where cameras are banned.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tran View Post
    Nice part about getting the 808 Pureview is being able to take it to a concert where cameras are banned.
    thats a good point , in the uk cameras arent banned so ive never come across that mate , however it is a good point if its something that will effect your useage of a camera etc and worth taking into consideration

Nokia User
    Thanks
    How durable 808's plastic body compare to N8's body?
    B/t my kids and I...we dropped my N8 countless times...and just have minor scratches at the edge...

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    why not think about getting a decent pocket camera and keep your iphone 4s mate , i think youll regret it 6 months down the line

the only reason youll buy the 808 is for the camera

check out these tiny cameras

Canon IXUS 230 HS review: Verdict | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Compact cameras

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX100 Reviews

the ixus might be the better all round performer out of them two ive used it / owned it , its very very nice and fits in any pocket

if you dont mond something a bit bigger you can get the tz8 for under £100 on ebay

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8 review | Expert Reviews

or there is the canon sx220hs which you can pick up for around £170

Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Review | PhotographyBLOG

both the tz8 and canon sx220 have manual modes and auto modes and high zoom lenses and both take a very good picture :-)

i would seriously be happy adding any of the above to a iphone4s rather then selling the iphone 4s and buying a 808
    Cheers Buxz I'll check these out. I'm thinking of maybe going for a bridge camera, like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ48 with 24x optical zoom!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast