possible n97 design defect with the camera cover-*DISCUSS HERE*
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts

possible n97 design defect with the camera cover-*DISCUSS HERE*

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia N97 cover defect: Scratched the back camera lens - Nseries Devices and S60 Smartphones - Nokia Support Discussions

few posts on the net about this now

it seems a bit worrying to me and i can see how it happends

dust particles getting trapped between the lens and the cover , slide the cover open , dust scratches the plastic lens cover

hasnt happend to mine yet but it dosent sound good does it people

surely nokia would have tested this lens cover out over time , people are saying after 10 days they have a scratched lens cover

i have noticed it can get quite dusty under there quite quickly and ive hardly opened the camera and used it

any thoughts on this

any one got the marks on their plastic lens cover
    Last edited by buxz777; 07-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Well on the N96 top right corner its squeaky slightly...dunno if its that gold pin..
    *#0000# ,To Find Out Your Firmware Version! *#06# ,To Find out Your IMEI Number..If Ive Been Useful Click "Thanks" Button!! - Samperry209!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    LOL @ Buxz777 "surely nokia would have tested this lens cover out over time"

Haven't you realised yet Nokia let their customers do the testing for them? You'd have thought they'd have noticed that the Firmware in the N97 didn't work before anything else, but that didn't stop them selling arguably faulty goods to an unsuspecting public.

However, getting back on topic, I got a small scratch on my N95 8Gb plastic lens cover, and it didn't effect the quality at all. Maybe it's inside the focal length of the lens, so all that happens is that less light gets in, rather than showing up as glare. Hopefully the same will be true of the N97 if scratched.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    LOL @ Buxz777 "surely nokia would have tested this lens cover out over time"

Haven't you realised yet Nokia let their customers do the testing for them? You'd have thought they'd have noticed that the Firmware in the N97 didn't work before anything else, but that didn't stop them selling arguably faulty goods to an unsuspecting public.

However, getting back on topic, I got a small scratch on my N95 8Gb plastic lens cover, and it didn't effect the quality at all. Maybe it's inside the focal length of the lens, so all that happens is that less light gets in, rather than showing up as glare. Hopefully the same will be true of the N97 if scratched.
    :-) firmware testers yeah but hardware testers now too lol :-)

iam hoping mine dont get scratched that will annoy me some , iam so carefull with my handset and if it gets scratched just due to me opening a part thats supposed to open i wont be best pleased

if it does scratch it then surely the inside of the lens cover is sitting to close to the lens plastic which is a really bad design flaw if true ,it should have enough room to move and avoid any dust particles not rub them against the plastic , like i say there a few reports of it happending now

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Oh it's definitely a design flaw, I was being optimistic & hoping it doesn't actually cause too many problems with photos.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    My N97 has a scratched lens from the cover sliding action , luckily the scratch isn't in a position where it will effect picture quality, as its to the side of the aperture.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil_ For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-11-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts
    So much so for the lens cleaner fitted to the underside of the slide. You take a closer look, there is a blue cleaning pad, this is supposed to prevent scratches, not cause them.

Will keep my eyes peeled.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-11-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I am almost tempted to just leave the cover open TBH.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    yeah i saw the blue pad , iam thinking thats what is catching the dust , is it supposed to be a lens cleaner then mickey mate??

sorry to hear youve suffered from it neil , it defently dosent affect the photos where youre one is??

i suppose you was lucky if it all depends on where gets marked i suppose

is the n86 camera cover the same design with the blue pad underneath etc??

Thanks

Angry Nokia N97 Bad lens cover design

This is my N97 after a week of general use ..

just the slightest bit of grit has ruined the lens ..i think Nokia should have made a tunnel in the slider that dos not touch the lens..as this is only after a week god only know what it will look like a few months time

..if i can get hold of a replacement lens and cover i might whip the cover into our machine shop and have a tunnel cnc'd in to it ...

Rant over and out ...
    Well done... You all talked your way into Credit crunch, Credit squeeze and a Credit crisis, fantasied about a resscion and now the possibility of another great depression?............ is it as good as you imagined it would be ?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mein_fury For This Useful Post:

Jambo (07-13-2009), Micky (07-13-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    maybe merge this with my earlier thread mods :-) http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/noki...era-cover.html :-)

sorry to see this happend to your n97 mate it looks like a bad design to me

i can see a n97i coming with extra ram , better lens cover or none at all ,

looks like iam going to have to get used to mine getting scratched at some point

its going to annoy the hell out of me

so far ive been blowing mine hard before opening the lens cover and dont have any marks ive also cleaned any grit away with a cotton bud when ive noticed a build up and its ok
    Last edited by buxz777; 07-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    gaz and tom

any grounds for warranty repair on this fault?? its obvoulsy a bad design ?? have you guys heard anything from nokia about this?? would you be able to mention it to anyone??

thanks guys

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    perhaps this is why nokia didnt use camera lens covers on the n96 and the n95 8gb

looks like they are struggling to get camera lens covers right now as well as the duel slides :-)

Thanks
    Yea this is not looking good so can not wait to get this phone but now i am really having second thoughts
    Its not the computer thats broken, Its the Operator!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    This is really bad as it is, to think that I am letting myself get sold on this one rather than the n86, but they both share the same camera cover mechanism right? But n86's slide down, geez, that would get a scratch right in the middle.....

Thanks
    n95 had the best lens cover i think even better than the n85 which gets dust in it as well but it does not have the cleaner.

they should use that design.

maybe you could pull apart the n97 and take away that cleaning stuff on the lens cleaner and not have it.

at least there will be dust but no scratches

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The n82 has also a very well designed cover, it is raised above the lens, no contact whatsoever and besides, that clicking sound it makes might match the sound of the n97's so much advertised tilt slide click.

Thanks
    is there any way to take out the lens cleaner from the cover? thats the reason we all have scratches on the glasses

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcastrog View Post
    is there any way to take out the lens cleaner from the cover? thats the reason we all have scratches on the glasses
    I think it's better to let have the guys at nokia care do that especially since the phones are very new and warrantied. Doing it by ourselvescould cost us that warranty making problems worse for us consumers.

Thanks
    I wonder if these people are mistakingly thinking that the recess of the dual leds is a scratch?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I wonder if these people are mistakingly thinking that the recess of the dual leds is a scratch?

no, thats not the case, there are more than 1 scratches also

Thanks
    I do think the photos above are really dirty that is what has caused the marks.

Micky if that is a pic of your phone its nice and clean.

Maybe thats all you have to do "just keep it clean" well try your best he he

Maybe cleaner pockets would help too

Or maybe get some of that air in can and use that daily or weekly depends on how much dust you grab
    Last edited by Imation_NZ; 07-12-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: another thought

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 929 Posts
    Using a transparent protective lens-screen of easily-marked plastic material instead of glass is not exactly a bright move but then equipping it with a sliding cover incorporating a non-removable non-cleanable felt? pad, in permanent contact with the soft plastic screen is downright dumb!
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sp00k For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-12-2009)

Thanks
    I have just taken a very close look at mine (photo above), and there is a scratch present, and I keep mine spotless. I will try and get a photo for you guys.

Edit, here you go...

Last edited by Micky; 07-12-2009 at 01:09 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

Brooker (07-21-2009)

Thanks
    Photo without zoom..

Just for the record, this scratch has occurred today, between taking the first photos above, and the second. The N97 has not moved from the table, or been subjected to any dusty, or dirty environment.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-12-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    this sucks :-(

sorry to see your one get it too mickey

what are we going to do , dont suppose we can do much can we

UK...Between London and Stanstead Airport
    Thanks
    I would be gutted....
    I can not be held responable for any information that may not be correct.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i am to be honest mate , scared to open my camera cover , how ridiculous is that!! on a 500 pound phone , i can take software errors that may get fixed but serious desihn flaws like this , how can they be fixed ??

i cant imagine nokia saying they will do anything

i think we need to bring it to their attention somehow , any idears??

what about watchdog and offcome etc surely a 500 pound device with such a bad design fault shouldnt be allowed should it?? what baout people with contracts over 14 days surely they cant get out of their contract due to this bad design fault

iam pretty disgusted to be honest , i think it really takes the mick

Thanks
    i hope they come up with a solution for this. anyone try to get this covered under warranty?

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    just had what looked like a little scratch on mine

i breathed on the plastic and used a cotton bud to wipe it gently and it rubbed away

iam not saying itll work on yours but worth ago people :-)

ps
    before trying to clean it make sure there is no grit , dust in there still or you could scratch it worse

pps
    you could even try spraying one end of the cotton bud with a tiny bit of window cleaner then use the other end of the bud to wipe clean obvously only use the tinyest amount of window cleaner on the cotton bud
    Last edited by buxz777; 07-12-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    just checked my phone and its has a scratch between the flash and camera hole. great idea to have a cleaner on the lens cover but poorly executed. Id rather have the lens cover float above the lens like with the n95-1. im going to call nokia and see if i can still return phone. not just because of this but also because the other issue with the rattling sound.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I had what looked like a scratch on the lens too but on using the cloth supplied with the phone i removed it without any problem.

How many have actually tried to remove the scratch first?

My guess is the lens is more resiliant than first though and with a little care, most scratches will come out.

That doesn't excuse the poor design though.

Thanks
    just tried the cleaning cloth. clean everything and made the scratch line more prominent

Thanks

The above is someone elses on Nokia Discussions.

Thanks
    I have put together an article covering this, and hoping to get enough ammo to put it to Nokia later this year when I go to Nokia World. At least try and get a response, see what they say about it..

Nokia N97 Self Harming? Check your N97's Main Camera Glass

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-13-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    ive just cut a bit off screen protector into a nice little square and put it over the lens

the sliding protector still closes and now i wont get scratched plastic on my lens

its bad ive had to do it but at least i can use my camera without worrying , in a few weeks ill replace the protector with a new one so i know that its not grimy

Thanks
    Hey micky thats the same location of where the scratch on mine is. When the cover is closed you can see the same scratch line continued on the other side

47. The Following User Says Thank You to huyqvu For This Useful Post:

Micky (07-13-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I have put together an article covering this, and hoping to get enough ammo to put it to Nokia later this year when I go to Nokia World. At least try and get a response, see what they say about it..

Nokia N97 Self Harming? Check your N97's Main Camera Glass
    so how do we reply to this mickey mate , do we have to click the review bit at the bottom and write what we think etc

id like to add my thoughts on this for you mate

Thanks
    Nokia need to make replacement glass, scratch resistant, that can be fitted for free at all Nokia care points imo, otherwise a total recall could be in order.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-13-2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    so how do we reply to this mickey mate , do we have to click the review bit at the bottom and write what we think etc

id like to add my thoughts on this for you mate
    Very good point. Only just noticed myself comments are not shown. Will try and figure that out.

Thanks

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-13-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Nokia need to make replacement glass, scratch resistant, that can be fitted for free at all Nokia care points imo, otherwise a total recall could be in order.
    iam agreeing with you 100% mate , free postage as well for people that cant get to the nsc ,

i dont think we are over reacting , its a joke , this should have been noticed by nokia somewhere along the lines , they had enough time to sort this out during development havent they , its such a simple fault

if they were to make a new back housing it could fix the problem , then people could return for the new improoved back housing to be swapped over

i dont think it will happend though mickey

we would have to kick up a right stink about this and get major attention bought to it mate for a recall or even a fix to take place

what do you think the steps would be

iam thinking a poll across forums is a start , the we can link them together and send that off to trading standards , nokia , offcom , watchdog ,

we have pictures building by the day so that will help

anything else

is it worth it would anything be done??

Thanks
    Im attending Nokia World in September, and know I will have the opportunity to meet some key people, so will do my best in putting this flaw across, and see what response I get back.

I will start a poll now, and see how we go from there.

Thanks

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-13-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    mickey please make it clear in the poll thread for people to vote and just upload pictures of their scratch

tell them to leave comments in this thread or with the picture they post only

it will keep the thread tidy for later use :-)

Thanks

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    nice one mickey :-)

ive spread the poll over at nokia support (saw you had as well) and also all about symbian

think we may need to let voda users know about the poll and the lens problem

is anyone a member at voda forums??

if so could you post a thread about the lens problem and a link to the poll over at this site in the voda n97 section that they have

we need to get as many people with the problem to vote and show their pics :-)

power in numbers and all that :-)

if only nokia was like ikea

if ikea have an item with the same defect come back 3 times they withdraw it from their lines and fix the problem or release a improoved version

10 votes in the poll :-)

we need more pictures though

can users that have complained here with pics please add their pictures to the poll , pictures are worth a 1000 words

thanks everyone
    Last edited by Micky; 07-13-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Well it hasn't happened to me yet, and I've been moving that lens cover back and forth a few times throughout the day now.

It's just not happening for me, might have some more 'luck' when I get near sand and the like.

Thanks
    Just approved some photos in the poll, also asked for people to state where their N97 was made too, just to try and see if there is a pattern emerging.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I have a small scratch near the led flash light, but it is near th edge so camera can't see it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast