POLL does your gps work well
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: does your gps work well

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes it works well

22 31.43%
  • no it isnt working well

48 68.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts

POLL does your gps work well

simple poll

is your n97 gps working well , please vote yes or no

then write a short sentance/paragraph with firmware version , operator branding , gps software used , problems encountered ,

please follow my example

n97 v11 unbranded euro 1 firmware

my gps seems poor , it struggles to keep up with me , it seems to be 500m behind all the time making it nearly useless , i use garmin mobile xt , nokia maps 3.01 , google maps

the faults seem worse in nokia maps but i also notice it in garmin mobile

gps locks on but has trouble keeping up with me

thanks for your votes

(some links showing more and a video from mickey i think on you tube)

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=86504

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=86508

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...age.id=149584#

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...hread.id=12223

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eamv2hjAA5w

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=9074.0 (3rd post down)
    Last edited by buxz777; 08-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    mine was terrible at first...took it back and now its half decent
    still not getting a quick lock but better than before.....
    compared to what im hearing my gps is buggy....
    RobertH
    Ovi: RobertH
    FaceBook: Robert Hall

4. The Following User Says Thank You to roberth For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-27-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Mine is a NAM and it works great, takes about 10 - 20 to get a fix. My only problem is there is no setting for US Units. Everything is in metric.

V11, AT&T, Maps 3.1, NAM unlocked.
    Last edited by rjoudrey; 07-27-2009 at 07:54 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rjoudrey For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-27-2009)

7. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I haven't had much problems with my device.
    The GPS takes long to lock on but it's the same as my N95 (A-GPS is turned off atm since I'm roaming)
    Nokia Maps keeps up with me with no problems at all, I even checked some landmarks on wikimapia.org to see if they're correctly and they are
    Nokia N97, Maps 3.1, RM-505, unlocked

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-27-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Poor performance on v10, v11 made a little difference but once i upgraded to maps 3.1 it made a good difference as long as your nowhere near a building.

Anywhere near structures will take the signal away immediately. out in the open it responds very well.

Nokia N97, Maps 3.1, RM-505, unlocked

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mat k For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-28-2009)

Thanks
    Unbranded, v11, still using 2.0 but it works perfectly in all areas I've used it. Pin point accuracy! Works well in buildings too, I really have no complaints

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreeN For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-28-2009)

Thanks
    I'm unbranded and V11, and it's not working very well... but that's comparatively speaking.

What I mean to say is that I'm on 3.1 now and while there are things I really like about it, it's just not as accurate as 2.

The problem I seem to have is that quite often it thinks I'm off on an adjacent road, it corrects after a bit, which is fine, apart from when it gets confused just when you need to know which exit to take or which lane to get in. I may well go back to v2 until they iron out these kinks.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jayen_aitch For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Mine has been quite unreliable for me using Maps 3.0, and then Maps 3.1

At first, running V10 firmware, I simply could not get a gps lock unless I was either in a car, or used something as a base plate, leaning the N97 onto something metal improved the gps lock.

Maps 3.1 has improved this slightly, and now getting a gps lock with the N97 in my hand, but the times on actually getting that gps lock varies from a couple of minutes, to upto 10 minutes, which is simply not good enough. Certainly need improving for sure.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (07-28-2009), mat k (07-28-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I am still trying to make it work, I am in Costa Rica and I am not sure if this a country issue or this is a problem with the device or the satellites, well, the issue is the cloudy weather...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to famleon For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (08-03-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    V11 unbranded to Israel Black.

Maps 2.0 worked fine except for frequent GPS signal drops

Maps 3.1 has a lot more GPRS signal drops as well as inablility to point out my exact location on the map resulting in multiple "route recalculations"

I have tried:

1. Downgrade from 3.1 to 2.0
    2. Complete removal of the cities dir from the mass storage
    3. Complete device reset including full wipeout of the mass storage and then upgrade to 3.1 before running maps 2.0

None of the above worked. Going to try today a 3rd party software for Israel...

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    keep results coming guys i was going to try and get a new one but it looks like alot of people are having troubles

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    just added links to the 1st post of the problem being talked about in other disscussions

my n97 is back in the box now and iam using my n96 again
    Last edited by buxz777; 08-03-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks
    Unbranded European model,v11 firmware, maps version 3.01.

Getting a GPS fix is no problem, but the speed drops to 0 and the position gets crazy at regular intervals when using map and sportstracker (the only two I have tested). The position in maps lags behind the real-life position. I have also tried an external Bluetooth GPS receiver, this fixes all problems except that maps is still lagging behind regarding the position.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kolaf For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (08-03-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    YouTube - N97 GPS Receiver Issues - Video Demo showing GPS Receiver is Weak on V10 Firmware

just tryed formatting the , mass memory , 16gb memory card , the handset itself and then reinstalling the firmware

the result

nothing , its just the same as it was , signal keeps dropping making it useless

the above video clip i believe mickey posted shows the problem very well indeed

Thanks
    I didn't have any problems before but I've started having GPS problems lately.
    I tested Sports tracker, if the speed goes over 60 km/h the signal starts getting weaker and it loses the connection.
    I don't have any problems when the speed is less than 60

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (08-03-2009)

Nokia Engineer
    Thanks
    rm505. unbranded. mine is working really really well in all instances except when navigating in maps 3.1, just following me along its fine. maps 2.0 was fine in all situations and googlemaps is now getting a lock in about 5-10 seconds
    Got a broken nokia? [url]www.repairmynokia.co.uk[/url]

A wise man once said: Don't waste your time worrying about the trivial,keep it real,be happy,'cause tomorrow,you just might choke on a small inconsequential piece of fruit

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tom_moran For This Useful Post:

buxz777 (08-03-2009)

Dedicated User
    Thanks

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Installed toddy a local GPRS program on my N97 - works just fine! Have mpas 3.1 installed so my conclusions are:

1. Maps 3.1 app issue
    2. GPRS Harware is fine
    3. Not a maps 3.1 GPRS driver issue as all apps should use the same driver

WAITING FOR NOKIA MAPS 3.2!!!!!!!!!

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Unlocked Unbranded UK running v11.

Works well (but maybe not quite as well as my 5800) enough for me not to worry about it.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i dont think its maps 3.01 myself

the problems in mickeys video happend to me in garmin , google maps , nokia maps , sports tracker , accuweather , the inbuilt gps app (i think its location)

when i have the phone in a car holder its fine , even maps 3.01 works fine , it keeps up , speeds dont drop to zero on the speedo

as soon as i move to my lap it goes crazy really unstable

ive tryed different vechiles

ive either got a dodgy handset or peoples gps have been configured differently or something

where is the gps located on the n97 i may take mine apart in abit to see if theres something touching it or if it sits right etc

i dont want to have to send it back and wait weeks for a repair if it comes back from nsc with just flashed firmware and the same problem which is quite common for nokia

Thanks
    Mine is NAM, unlocked, V.11.

Maps 2.0 worked great, I used it about 3 times and no complains at all. Last night I got too curious and despite the bad feedback, I updated to 3.1....bad choice. It would get a lock quickly, but as I drove it would suddenly stop tracking me, although it clearly had signal. So I had to stop navigation > History > address again and keep doing that repeatedly until it got me to my destination.

I need to revert back to 2.0

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Which car cradle are you using?

All my tests were done also while the N97 is in a car cradle, so maybe I need to get your type of cradle so maps 3.1 will work for me as well....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    If it takes a certain type of cradle to make the GPS work, return the phone!
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotlicki View Post
    Which car cradle are you using?

All my tests were done also while the N97 is in a car cradle, so maybe I need to get your type of cradle so maps 3.1 will work for me as well....
    as bart says send it back

my phone gets a lock or whatever but it just cant keep it , its not stable , iam hoping its a software issue that will be fixed if not ill send it back after the next firmware upgrade

my phone holder is a cheap and cheerfull one from ebay , its not this that is making the difference iam guessing its the possistion of the phone not the actual car holder

iam just saying it isnt maps 3.01 as ive tryed it with a bluetooth gps and the n97 and it works fine as it does on my n96 , it hasa little lag when zoomed in but not the amount the the n97 gps causes

ps

everyones gps seems to be acting different some geta lock some dont , some get a lock but cant keep it , iam starting to think that there was a bad batch of n97s , its only a guess though

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    I've not got the N97 any more, but oddly enough, I had no problems with the GPS. I could get a lock pretty quickly, far faster than the N95 or 5800 & didn't notice any GPS dropouts in the time I had it. However, I was completely unable to get a reliable phone signal.

I wonder if you get a good phone signal, you get bad GPS - and vice versa? Just a thought.

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Garmin Mobile XT is performing really good for me so far. Better and faster lock on GPS. Working inside my concrete block home which was iffy with Maps 3.1.

Thanks
    I just can't get any GPS lock on mine. I stood outside on a clear sunny day for more than 30 minutes and nothing! My N95 8gb worked just fine. I don't want to return it because everything else is working fine and don't want to end up with someone elses crap! I guess I will just stick to my Tom Tom for now!

David

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjoudrey View Post
    Garmin Mobile XT is performing really good for me so far. Better and faster lock on GPS. Working inside my concrete block home which was iffy with Maps 3.1.
    yeah mine locks on indoors as well but is it stable when you drive , have you checked the sat statous to make sure they are steady

if i compare my n97 to my n96 it defently shows the problem

the n96 picks up the satelittes quickly and stays locked ie the bars stay solid and only change now and again

the n97 picks up signal fine but when watching thae bars you can see them dropping and changing very quickly meaning the sat connection is unstable and its having troubles staying locked to the same sats in the same posistion

when i 1st tested my n97 i just looked opened garmin saw that it had green bars and was like ''the gps works then sweet''

under further testing ive noticed the problems with mine not being able to keep connection very well at all

when i hold the n96 next to the n97 its eveident that the signal is no where near as good

there is either a faulty batch of gps in the n97 or its a firmware problem or its a conflict with something else and thats why some people are getting it and not others

theres a user over on nokia support disscussions that says after he got his 4th n97 with v11 allready installed the problem is no longer there

iam wandering if its an early batch of n97s that suffer this

if its a firmware problem then its weird how everyone isnt sufferring

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    I did notice that when the unit was on my lap and would fall off onto the seat the Map 3.1 program would kind of flip out. Is it possible that the compass portion of the software is something new and that the software does not quite know what to do with it. I know that in general navigation software depends on the movement of the device to establish direction. I do not believe the Garmin product utilizes the compass signal.

Any thoughts?

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman64 View Post
    I just can't get any GPS lock on mine. I stood outside on a clear sunny day for more than 30 minutes and nothing! My N95 8gb worked just fine. I don't want to return it because everything else is working fine and don't want to end up with someone elses crap! I guess I will just stick to my Tom Tom for now!

David
    Have you tried Google Maps? I installed it after waiting 5 mins for Nokia Maps to get a lock. Google Maps got a lock in 30 secs and after that Nokia Maps seemed to work ok.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    well tryed my mates last night

signal does not drop hardly at all

on mine the signal drops when ever the phone is moved to my lap , with my friends even on the lap it still works , signal isnt as good as my n96 , but on my friends phone the signal dosent randomly drop signal hardly ever

ill be testing it more today (my friends n97)

just another quick note he was a bit later getting it then me and has a voda handset but it was shipped with v11 not v10

iam starting to wander if some of the early handsets have a dodgy gps

theres another user that had the same problem over at nokia and he says that he took back a voda v10 handset and was given a voda v11 handset and it works now

i was also in the voda shop yesterday and heard the lady saying to a customer that there would be a new battery coming with the n97 soon , she said that she would ring him when it come in so he could swap his dodgy battery with the new battery , she said it had the same code but was different inside , so sounds like the n97 has dodgy battery but i havent heard that anywhere , allthough it may explain some of the random , iam charging no iam not scenarios

i havent heard faults about the battery yet so was suprised about that

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    JUST RECIEVED THIS FORM NOKIA AS WELL

Hello sir,

Thank you for your email. Firstly, I can confirm that at current Nokia Maps is being looked into by Nokia and has been escalated. We are aware of the problems with the software.

If you believe there to be an issue with the hardware in the phone, I can only recommend taking it to a Nokia Care Point for them to have a look at the phone for you, or to have your handset replaced.

Apologies for any inconvienience but I can assure you that the problem with maps is now definetely being looked into and hopefully there will be a resolution to the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you,

N97 support

----------------Original Email----------------

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

greigster (08-06-2009), kolaf (08-06-2009), MohammadAG (08-06-2009)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    YouTube - N97 GPS toimii part2

what mine is like not my video though

Thanks
    I use latest firmware and I have the same problems as topic starter has.

Here's two videos I've shot which shows my problems:
    YouTube - N97 GPS toimii
    (look at the speed indicator on both videos)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
    I use latest firmware and I have the same problems as topic starter has.

Here's two videos I've shot which shows my problems:
    YouTube - N97 GPS toimii
    (look at the speed indicator on both videos)
    I think those two videos show perfectly the problem.
    Routing gets even more funny, when there are many litle roads next to the Autobahn you're travelling and suddenly it thinks you are on one of them (traveling 0 km/h of cause). Even better, when you get told you are now going in the opposite direction!

Thanks
    Got the same problems with the speed indicator as I was driving along the Autobahn yesterday. Funny things, when the Software suddenly thinks you are driving in the opposite direction or on a rural road nearby (congratulations for the details in the maps btw!).

Today I tried to verify weather it is a problem with the gps or the software and used my external LD-3W as only GPS (deactivated the internal). First thing I noticed was a much more steady position. (With internal GPS, when you are stopping at a traffic ligth, your position kind of dances around. Sorry, no Autobahn today, but scheduled to test on the next ride!) As well the speed indicator worked perfectly with no drops.
    Now either the SW is using it's own driver for the internal GPS module and thereby messes the positioning up, or the GPS moule itself has a problem, which I would rather think.

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    my mates one even works with maps 3.01

really starting to think that some n97 have faulty gps hardware from the factory

getting my new one today all being well so will report back and let you know if this ones better its been over 3 weeks since i got mine so should be a different batch around by now :-)iam hoping so anyway

i dont even care if its refurbished as long as the gps works like my friends

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts
    Quick question to all that are having issues. Are you all using Assist-GPS? IE - Connecting to a network when launching Maps?

If you have downloaded your relevant map data, and launching maps, and then selecting NO, when it asks to go online, have you disabled A-GPS?

Im currently carrying out tests for an article, and have found, that even though map data has been downloaded, and installed, and then disabling A-GPS, the N97, so far anyway, has not yet got a GPS fix. Currently been outside testing for 20 minutes, and counting.

If you are connecting to the network, ensure your access points are correct, otherwise you will run into problems.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    it is not nokia maps.. try running the position app and driving down the road.. accuracy and satellite levels are terrible.
    when compared to my 5800 or n85 right next to it..

n97 unbranded nam version s/w 11.x just sent back for repair

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    uploading a video now of mine working fine indoors with no mods mate

i took my faulty one back and got a good one :-)

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    View My Video

n97 gps working indoors

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    uploading a video now of mine working fine indoors with no mods mate

i took my faulty one back and got a good one :-)

For the amount of times I use my GPS there is no way I'd return it for another handset just for that..just me tho

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    i use my gps alot so i did mate

i think if your paying money , £500 pounds you should expect it to work

its like buying a car with the air con broke and saying yeah i dont use it that much so its ok or a pc with a broken dvd drive and saying never mind i wont use it that much

i personally wouldnt have it thats why i took mine back mate

Thanks
    My GPS is somewhat intermittent. Sometmes it seems fine, but other times it's nigh on useless. Unsure at the moment if it's a software, firmware or hardware issue. I'm hoping that it's sortable hopefully via FFW v12 or v20. As I am UK based I'm still waiting for v12 to be available, but that's a whole other story.

Thanks
    I'm unbranded (euro1) v12 launch handset. First day I had a good signal in a 3 storey house. Then it got so bad that I would lose signal every 5 seconds or so and it would jump from half bars to no bars. After lots of prodding around and firmware/map upgrades it now sits quite consistently at a very poor 3 or 4 bars. (on ovi maps). Quite certain its the poor quality of the launch antennas but not sure if I should give up the time and effort to take it to a care point only for them to hard reset it and change no hardware.

Thanks
    Doesnt work on fw10, 11 or 12. Tried Maps 2, 3.0, 3.1 and the latest beta.

Gets fix but is too erratic and precision is unfit for navigation, specially in urban environment.

Planning to take it again to nokia care after unsucessful firmware reflash...

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    notera tell them your gos antenna is playing up

tell them you need a new back assembly other users over at nokia support have had their n97 fixed witha replacemtn part go here for more info

Nokia Support Discussions - gps keeps cutting out on N97 - Maps, Navigation and GPS - Nokia Support Discussions

Dedicated User
    Thanks
    Iv had my N97 for 2 weeks now .Iv debranded and updated to v12 firmware. Got no problems with the GPS at all. Works fine on Maps 3.0 or 3.1. Must say it works best on Garmin XT

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    cheers tazman

there are some dodgy gps in some n97s thats for sure mate , ive had a dodgy one and a good one so know the difference 1st hand

:-)

mine is the same works fine with every gps program as its not faulty like other users

good to see nokia fixing them though

63. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

Tazman (09-09-2009)

Thanks
    just voted no.

sent mine for repair the second time, first time all they did was a hard reset , now they saying they cant fix it and are sending me refubished unit

i hate nokia repair centre people, they are useless.

Thanks
    Yes it´s working great after 1 replacement, got it back last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast