Tweaking your N97 to perfection
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

Tweaking your N97 to perfection

UNFINISH - It's 2:45AM..will finish this up tomorrow

I'm putting together this guide from various sources and experience to get your N97 working at optimal speed.

If you have already upgraded your firmware to v20 go to step 2

1. Upgrade your N97's firmware to v20 - I don't recommend backing up the phone using PC Suite or Ovi Suite as they may have some old settings. This is a clean update. If you only want to backup your contacts + calendar + messages + photos + music, there is another excellent way to get these back into the clean update via Ovi Sync. I can write some instructions if requested.

2. Once upgraded, format the mass memory
    Menu -> Applications -> Office -> File Manager -> [Select Mass Memory] ->

3. Perform a proper hard-reset - Turn the phone off, press Shift key(Up arrow next to the D-pad) + Spacebar key + Del key then Power button - You'll be able to see the initial setup screen asking for country of origin if it works.

4. Set theme to Default theme - This seems to be the fastest loading theme I found.

5. Turn off theme effects

6. Disable Wallpaper

7. Disable Bluetooth

8. Disable Wireless Scanning - Ask when you need

9. Set backlight to 50% or less

10. Lower backlight timeout

11. Disable Show Captured Image

12. Disable Camera Sound effect - Depending on your country, it maybe illegal to turn this off.
    Menu -> Settings -> Profile -> [Choose current profile] -> Warning tones = Off

13. Set email boxes to manual connect

14. Remove applications on C and move to E - Most of these are available via Ovi Store, go to Settings in Ovi Store and make default isntallation as Mass Memory

15. Set menu icons to list mode

16. Avoid attaching images to contacts.

17. Avoid widgets that requires regular updates ie Facebook

Additional tweaks:
    1. If you don't have unlimited data plan then disable dual mode and just use GSM, use Wifi when you need to get online. You won't be able to get 3G or HSDPA. Of course turn it back on whenever you want to.
    2. Avoid hacking your phone as ROMpatcher can eats up battery, sign the applications manually instead.
    3. Fixing Ovi store with kinetic scrolling - Open browser and navigate to store.ovi.com | There'll be a link to download Ovi store, click there, install it replaces the older version installed in the phone. Start Ovi store and it will tell you there's an update, download that update, install it again to replace the version downloaded from the browser. After that, scrolling should work seamlessly.
    4. In order to keep your hacked working in v20, do not perform a hard-reset once upgraded to the new firmware.

If anyone has got any more recommendations, I'll update them in the post.
    Last edited by Venomrush; 10-28-2009 at 09:00 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:

neodymium (10-30-2009), Sexyback (10-28-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

me3
    Nokia User
    Thanks
    Then what?

Take out the battery and put it back in the box, to save battery power and sunlight degradation of the plastic?

All those things you recommend turning off are the reason for buying the phone in the first place. It's a mulitasking device.

It's like buying a laptop with a core 2 dual processor, then not attaching to the internet, and only using it for word processing. Of course it will do one thing at the speed of lightning, but you didn't buy it just to do one thing.

If you only want it to work in a primitive way, why not buy a primitive phone in the first place?

I'll stick with my mediocre performance, bluetooth, and my transition effects.

Thanks all the same...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by me3 View Post
    Then what?

Take out the battery and put it back in the box, to save battery power and sunlight degradation of the plastic?

All those things you recommend turning off are the reason for buying the phone in the first place. It's a mulitasking device.

It's like buying a laptop with a core 2 dual processor, then not attaching to the internet, and only using it for word processing. Of course it will do one thing at the speed of lightning, but you didn't buy it just to do one thing.

If you only want it to work in a primitive way, why not buy a primitive phone in the first place?

I'll stick with my mediocre performance, bluetooth, and my transition effects.

Thanks all the same...
    Agreed, if i wanted a moto razr i wouldve bought one, and saved myself the $700...

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Most of the tweaks aim at the display and turning off useless features you'll hardly use.
    I have a high-end powered laptop, I've tweaked it to use minimal graphic and turn off bluetooth etc. why have them running wasting system resources + battery?

This guide mainly aims for 'speed hungry and long lasting battery' users. If you prefer to use yours with pretty graphics then go ahead Your device, your choice, you do whatever you want.

This guide contains different various tweaks they can do, they can choose whatever tweaks they want to use.
    Last edited by Venomrush; 10-28-2009 at 09:00 AM.

me3
    Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post

This guide contains different various tweaks they can do, they can choose whatever tweaks they want to use.
    Of course they can.

I've never downloaded a ringtone in my life. I HAVE downloaded one theme "Haze" which I use all the time. I've no wallpaper, no pretty grahics.

I DO care about function, not form. I like when I go into my car, and my phone automatically links to the car radio via bluetooth, and becomes my handsfree, without my having to remember.

Background lighting? It's hard enough to read it in bright sunshine without reducing backlighting. In fact, my only complaint is that the keypad backlighting doesn't always come on when the screen is raised. I hate that I can't see the keys.

My email is set to automatically retrieve my 2 included email accounts.

Your general advice seems to be "Turn it on only when you want to".

You're right, of course, it's personal choice. But did people buy it to keep playing with it, or to get use out of it?

I paid £500 for a phone which would make my life easier, not to make the phone's life easier.

But if you bought yourself a toy to play with ...

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I wouldn't really call this "tweaking your N97 to perfection", you're effectively removing all the features that make the phone! More like "tweaking you N97 to make it run faster yet not use any of it's features"

I'm sure it will help some people though

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,258 Posts

Exactly what i was thinking.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you appreciate ANY help or Uploaded files from a member,then show it by saying it and clicking on the 'Thanks' button

ANY Theme/Font Uploaded By Me In The THEMES or FONTS Section With a (NOW) Dead Link,Let Me Know In That Thread (not by e-mail OR private message please) And I'll Re-Upload It As I have ALL Themes/Fonts Uploaded By MYSELF!

Thanks
    i'd have to agree with the majority here and say "what's the point?".

at the end of the day, you're reducing your enjoyment of the phone and compensating for the fact tha Nokia made a crappy product.

sorry but that's just the way i see it. my 5800 is an all singing, all dancing little workhorse that does exactly what it says on the tin.
    "it's not rocket surgery".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evil Genius For This Useful Post:

Grayburn (10-28-2009)

Thanks
    You're all missing the main point.

The product isn't crap, it's the software.
    What I'm doing here is removing the junks you don't need just like when you get a new computer with craps installed with default settings by the manufacturer.

N97 has a great hardware which was why I bought it in the first place like most of you.
    The junks and defaults settings that screwing up battery life and performance.

If you don't like the tweaks posted here that's fine. I respect how you use your device. I'm just posting tweaks for information purpose for other users to tweak up their N97 by what they want.

So rather than dissing the tweaks it'll be more helpful if you can share your experiences instead.

Thanks

So rather than dissing the tweaks it'll be more helpful if you can share your experiences instead.
    sorry i have no experience with tweaking because i don't need to tweak my phone to enable me to use it as it was intended.

me3
    Nokia User
    Thanks
    No my friend, you are missing the point.

The "software" as you call it, is what makes the device do what it does. Without software, just like a PC, you could switch it on, but it wouldn't do anything at all.

So, what it does is the most important attribute of the device. What it does is entirely dependent on the software. If you disable the software, you disable the functionality of the phone. You reduce it to an ornament (an ugly ornament, in my opinion).

By the way, I DID share MY experience. Please re-read my second post.

Like the majority of people here, sharing their experience, I want to use all the things you want to turn off.

You didn't answer the question "Why on earth did you buy THIS phone, when you don't want to use its features?".

Maybe you bought it only to play games?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 929 Posts
    Go for it Venom... This forum isn't just for power-users!

Many people will have bought this singing, dancing device who don't need it to sing & dance all the time, even though it has the capability of doing so... At a price!

Anything that can squeeze more juice out of this Nokia lem... errr N97 should be welcome to some...

Basically folks, Pick & Choose What You Want To Use.

If limiting the N97's functions to gain speed, reliability and extended battery-life is not for you, then fair enough, move on... This thread wil be of no interest to you..
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sp00k For This Useful Post:

Sexyback (10-28-2009)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    The product isn't crap, it's the software.
    What I'm doing here is removing the junks you don't need just like when you get a new computer with craps installed with default settings by the manufacturer.
    turn off wireless scanning?, turn off widgets?, turn of auto email retrieval? avoid images in contacts? These are the phones major selling points!

Nothing wrong with the phone software!

i do, however, agree with
    7. Disable Bluetooth (ie turn on when needed)
    10. Lower backlight timeout

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp00k View Post

If limiting the N97's functions to gain speed, reliability and extended battery-life is not for you, then fair enough, move on... This thread wil be of no interest to you..
    don't get me wrong, i appreciate venoms efforts to help other users but if you need a 17 step plan to make your lemoN97 usable then it's a crappy product (hardware and software = complete package).

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I can't believe you said you disable your Graphics and bluetooth on your laptop. But you do have some great advice about Firmware update. Here is what I did.

1.Backup your N97 only tool to extract any files can be updated from else where Never Restore applications or setting from a pre firmware update.

2. Factory Rest *#7370# and once restarted. Also good idea to remove most apps that you can source from OVI Store or else where.

3.Format the mass memory
    Menu -> Applications -> Office -> File Manager -> [Select Mass Memory] ->

4. Use upgrade Firmware to 20.x.x When rest you may find about 61 to 62 Mb

5. Iif not you may want to do a Hard reset again *#7370#

6. Remove applications on C and move to E - Most of these are available via Ovi Store, go to Settings in Ovi Store and make default isntallation as Mass Memory

7. I have now about 55 Mb free on C. I have turned on Bluetooth and Added Accuweather, Bloomberg, Facebook on the First page. It is only £5 to have unlimited Data Plan these days and I live full signal area so don't use WiFi. I even use Skype on Three's networks as you can use it as much as you like.

8. You may want to hide Bluetooth when you turn on after paired with your PC and headset etc.

9. I was able to use more than a day with each charge if that not last for you then I would buy a battery addon or a spare Battery you can get 1900mw or even 3500mw.

me3
    Nokia User
    Thanks
    [

Anything that can squeeze more juice out of this Nokia lem... errr N97 should be welcome to some...
    Err ... "Squeeze more juice out of the Nokia" - for what?

I've asked more than once now, but still no answer.

What exactly is this power-hungry app you need all this "juice" for?

So far all you've said is that you stop it from doing anything, so that you can leave it doing nothing, but with the potential for lightning performance - Wow.

Lightning performance to do what?

Or do you ever actually use it at all? If so to do what?

I'm so excited I can't wait to hear what this lightning fast app is.

Thanks
    Err ... "Squeeze more juice out of the Nokia" - for what?

I've asked more than once now, but still no answer...

...I'm so excited I can't wait to hear what this lightning fast app is.
    Hey! calm down, you'll do yourself a mischief at this rate... Sorry to disappoint you but... Squeeze more juice (aka power) means to improve the battery-life.
    Some members, after receiving valuable help, aren't clicking on the 'THANKS' button, please remember to do so, it would be much appreciated!

This is a 'Family-Friendly' forum and we ask that you help to ensure that it remains so.
    Behave in a sociable manner and you will be welcome here, heated arguments are a
    Posts Concerning WAREZ Will Be Deleted & Penalties May Result If RULES Are Broken.

me3
    Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hey! calm down, you'll do yourself a mischief at this rate... Sorry to disappoint you but... Squeeze more juice (aka power) means to improve the battery-life.
    At last, an explanation. Thanks sPooK. Now I understand.

So all the functionality is disabled so it can lie there on the table, doing nothing for a much longer time.

Silly of me.

Thanks
    So all the functionality is disabled so it can lie there on the table, doing nothing for a much longer time.
    i'd stand it up as i'm sure lying the phone down would drain the battery more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuru View Post
    I can't believe you said you disable your Graphics and bluetooth on your laptop.
    Graphics I don't need, I like the simple Win 98/ME style
    Bluetooth I don't need to have it on all day either, I'm using USB cable to transfer phone-2-pc so much faster instead?? Could you please tell me why I need to have the bluetooth on my laptop turned on? So people can bluejack my laptop??

I can't believe people think all the tweaks I post originally are all applied on my N97...

Like I said, I'm posting various tweaks collected around the web into a single post.
    Pick the ones you can do to stop it juicing up your battery + RAM

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Hi Please don't think picking on you. It is all diffrent reasons we buy latest and greatest Gadgets. For me I buy thinks that make my life little bit easier, nicer to look at when you have to work all day, gives me the info right there to see when I needed, Speed is that important I buy faster device, Battery life is that important then I buy a long life battery, Bluetooth is for me convenient never swith it off, as my phone in sync all the time and I can use my head set. Having said all that few years ago when bluetooth come into use the software not interligent enough to safe resources but I feell now most devices including N97 conserve engery when turned on all the time. I do hide it I would put a firewall if I am that worried about my devices.

Samrt phones remind me some similarites to early days PCs with XP. Time to time you have to do a clean install and always carefull what software you install. But I have seen a new GPS enabled profile changer on OVI I guess you can use that to turn tings off when you sure don't need them. I read some where it can turn off features based on where you are and then trun them back on when you go to new location.

I don't pull the network cable when I don't use the internet but I do know there is always a chance that some one may try and hack into. If anything that impartant I encrypt them with a very secure password. I have downloaded the Nokia engery profiler I see if it can point to me what features use the engery most. I wear the watch that charges by light and wonder how long does it take before a useable Smart Mobile will be released.

Thansk for starting the list I am sure there are other will find it very usefull.

Thanks
    At last, an explanation. Thanks sPooK. Now I understand.

Nope, the functionality is selectively limited, so that it can do whatever you need it to do for a longer time... Capiche?

Silly of me.
    Indeed! Far be it from me to presume to contradict your own, no doubt knowledgeable, self-appraisal!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sp00k For This Useful Post:

nirave (10-29-2009)

Thanks
    I don't understand what the big deal is, use 1 of the recommendations, use them all, use none, who cares. It's mostly in the spirit of battery preservation. Go onto any tech site and they with tell you the same thing with regards to bluetooth, wifi, push email, etc. If you need to use all of the features of the N97 ALL of the time you probably need to free up your schedule a little bit. Having a nice powerful phone is great, but it's pretty worthless when the battery is dead.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    You're all missing the main point ... So rather than dissing the tweaks it'll be more helpful if you can share your experiences instead.
    WELL SAID !!! I am really stunned by the replies here.

Many of your "tweaks" seem to me to be the suggestions Nokia themselves make to extend battery life. ... What is so contentious about switching off the camera sound, or managing your email accounts differently, or not attaching images to contacts, or ... avoiding FB. What on earth is the fuss about ?? Some of us want to spend less time on these time sinks than more.

Anyway, I'm on the same page as you. How your use can be dtermined as frivolous I can't understand at all.

I've JUST gt a Mini. I know it's old!! But I have been waiting and trying things for 5 years now ever since my Treo freaked out and thngs just get wrse. I can't fnd anything new that doesn't lose more than it gains.

I'm probably keeping the Mini, but it is a disappointment nonetheless. I really expected at least the quality of the Treo in a device 10 years down the line. It is so close, but so may follies ... what is this with the asinine relocation of the space bar?!!? Would a car manufacturer swap the position of the brake?!! Why this reliance on Ovi/PC suite ?!?

The camera though is really sweet and that's one of the three main thing I want (in one device!). It knocks the Droid into a cocked hat, as I knew it would. When will people get it that garbage in = garbage out, and that ten times garbage = ten times more garbage and not ten times less. Now I just need to get Notes or something like it to be a little better (easier to transfer to non-Nokia apps and devices, easier to file and manage) and I'll be happy.

I think I know where the future is headed, and unless you're into being a Borg, it sucks.