Nokia 808 pureview
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia Genius
    Thanks

Nokia 808 pureview

Over the last few weeks I've been increasingly interested in this phone.
    I used to own the N8 but got a bit frustrated with the OS (despite being with Symbian for many years). What most annoyed me was text input, the qwerty keyboard was too cramped and they changed the T9 layout meaning this was also more difficult to type accurately.
    I switched to an iPhone 4S which I've found to be excellent - especially regarding the interface, text input and apps.
    However, since the announcement of the pureview, I'm seriously thinking of selling the 4S for this.
    I'm fully aware that it's going to mean owning a camera with a phone attached but I'm wondering whether I'll really miss some of the features and ease of use of the iPhone. I don't use the iPhone for games that much do that won't be an issue. Apps that I think I will miss include tapatalk, eBay, myfitnesspal, FaceTime, sky go and Netflix.
    Is there anybody else in two minds about going for the pureview?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    yep i thought about selling my sgs2 and grabbing one -- dont do it

i made the same mistake when the n8 came out and sold my iphone4 for the n8 , of course s3 had a future then , it doesnt even havr that on its side now mate

you will get very bored very quickly , just think about the web browser , the app store , backing up and syncing , nokia bugs , nokia customer support and youll remember why you left symbian to try something else that worked

with the 808 youll get a great camera but not such a great smartphone , you use ebay like me , on symbian you have to use the web browser its awfull mate and ios and android apps make it so much more enjoyable same with amazon

i also use netflix and its great on android i can even stream over 3g , symbian doesnt have anything like this , its such a shame but it just doesnt , its little things like this that will grind on you after a few months and make you wish you hadnt tried it

my best advice is keep the iphone , buy a ixus 230hs camera , wait for a lumia 808 to pop up :-)

iam not saying this to be horrible to nokia (i know people think iam a bit anti nokia at the minute) iam saying this because i done the same thing with the n8 and the iphone4 and symbian was in a better posistion then and also i went back to the n8 and after 2 weeks i missed the sgs2 like mad

doooooooooooooooooooont do it dude :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
    my best advice is keep the iphone , buy a ixus 230hs camera , wait for a lumia 808 to pop up :-)
    I would fully agree with that, even though my usage priorities are completely different and the 808 is the handset I have been dreaming about all these years without knowing it.

Just bear in mind that as usual with WP, since it is a rubbish OS unable to support more powerful processes and will remain like that even in future iterations from all I can observe, it will be unable to provide the full Pureview experience. At best the sensor used for the WP pureview will have around half the performance of the 808 one, i.e. will be around the 20 MP mark.

On a side note: I have been running my N9 (stock 1.2 Harmattan) and N8 (stock Belle) in parallel for the last month with same setup, same apps (OK, Meego equivalents of S^3 apps before someone decides to be smart), same frequency of updating, calls spread almost equally between the two, etc. Average Battery life on N9 - 24 hours after full charge. Average Battery life on N8 - 60 hours after full charge. I have not tweaked, overclocked, underclocked or messed in any way with the FW. Clearly for people who are happy to use their phone while for half of the time it is plugged in to charge that is not an issue. For me this is a major point and I have yet to find a non-Symbian smartphone which offers that balance of battery life and functionality. I have to admit that I am discovering almost on a daily basis how good S^3 is for what I want out of a smartphone. I will get a 808 and watch what happens in the mobile world over at least the next two years without really caring. But that's only me and my very personal opinion.
    Last edited by 93tid; 06-01-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Thanks for your opinions on this, I'm still undecided but think I'll wait it out, and not jump straight in like I did with the N8.
    However I'm seeing the pureview as fixing many of the issues I experienced with the N8. Having the bigger screen should in theory help with text input and there shouldn't be the software issues that the N8 faced early on.
    Although the N8 of course has a great camera, in my view the 4s matches it, at least for daylight photography. The pureview seems to be in an entirely different league, and I can't get over how good it is.
    So like I say I'll definitely try to wait this one out. In the meantime I'm going to jailbreak the iPhone for the first time and see what that brings.
    If I do buy the pureview I'll pay on a credit card and keep the iPhone till I've thoroughly tested it, then either return it or sell the iPhone. That way it's win-win!

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    It's a big "Don't" from me as well..

To elaborate on what Buxz has briefly stated, when we all jumped in to get the N8 back in 2010, the whole smartphone market and all variables looked different back then:

- It wasn't just about the camera with the N8. Hardware-wise the N8 offered much which other handsets didn't have. Software-wise Symbian was still Nokia's primary OS, relaunched in a new open-source touch optimised version with emphasis on modern features such as social networking. Qt was brought to it to ensure a growing ecosystem based on modern software technologies and enabling a bigger integrated ecosystem with MeeGo for the long term transition and upgrade from Symbian.

- In comparison, true that Symbian^3 didn't turn out the way it was supposed to be, but the competition back then also lagged behind in other major areas.
    The iPhone, despite being in its fourth iteration, still lacked on the hardware front specially with its cartoonish camera, and software-wise despite all the functionality iOS exclusive apps brought to the ecosystem, the OS still lacked in some major areas.
    Android handsets were still in their early days, lacking major stuff on software and hardware fronts, and Android having more issues than Symbian back then!
    Windows Phones came into existance shortly after the N8, and were a big No-Go in their first iterations for any type of user.

Fast forward to June 2012, and the market couldn't have changed more than it did!
    Android becamse what Symbian was supposed to be. It matured quick enough to become the market's top functionality OS for those who needs such level of functionality and openness. A thing Nokia were intending to do with Symbian which turned into a big flop, and with it, the whole Qt ecosystem project including the MeeGo OS was put to an end. To me, the most tragic outcome in history of the tech industry due to the high potential MeeGo with Qt had in the long term!!

The iPhone with iOS 5 and iCloud, also turned into the beast that many were waiting years for it to materialise.

So in other words, by going from an iPhone 4S to a Nokia 808 PureView as a primary smartphone, you'll be downgrading many levels down!!
    On many fronts not just regarding the app store!! The quality of the whole package to begin with is not anymore on par with the standard a high-end smartphone should be up to! It feels and functions as a last decade piece of tech. Literally. A dead OS with minimal support meant for the remaining users left using it, and hardware package few generations behind! In exception for the camera of course..

To me, those who would purchase an 808 fall into one of these two categories:
    1. Old Symbian users who haven't yet upgraded or tried any other devices and don't see reasons for that at the mean time (a very tiny percentage of consumer base, at least here in Europe) 2. Those who are looking to get the 808 and use it as a secondary smartphone just because of its camera feature.

For option two, I tried that combi with the HD7/N8, but found it a big hassle. Requires more time switching between phones and operating on two completely different fronts for tasks which supposed to cost as little time as possible!! Not worth it at all.
    Better as Buxz said, get then a compact camera that fits in the pocket as a secondary gadget..

Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    Just bear in mind that as usual with WP, since it is a rubbish OS unable to support more powerful processes and will remain like that even in future iterations from all I can observe, it will be unable to provide the full Pureview experience. At best the sensor used for the WP pureview will have around half the performance of the 808 one, i.e. will be around the 20 MP mark.
    1. To begin with, the processor inside the 808 is an ARM-11 based clocked at 1.3 Ghz. In other words, it's considered now an ancient processing unit!
    The Snapdragon inside the Lumia 800 for instance is leaps ahead in terms of raw power.

2. This isn't the reason why Lumias may not get the full 41 MP sensor of the 808 PureView! The reason isn't other than there is no way at the moment to fit that sensor in an acceptable smartphone design compliant with the modern needs of the consumer base!
    No one would get a 15mm thick phone!!

3. You describing WP as rubbish, and giving those predictions of the OS not being able to meet certain standards in the future, while it's your own opinion, it's based on a very biased point of view!
    The same you judged Symbian and advised others not to get although you yourself found enough reasons to stick to it, keeping this level of objectiveness, you would have also judged WP the same way! That is stating whom the platform fits and whom it doesn't fit! Not generalising and ruling it out for anyone else based on personal needs and use cases.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by False Morel View Post
    A thing Nokia were intending to do with Symbian which turned into a big flop, and with it, the whole Qt ecosystem project including the MeeGo OS was put to an end. To me, the most tragic outcome in history of the tech industry due to the high potential MeeGo with Qt had in the long term!!
    I couldn't agree more on this. And the fact that now Samsung and HTC are picking up the further development of Tizen only proves it further.
    "Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

If you appreciate help from a member,then show it by clicking on the 'Thanks' button! - Sp00k

My "backup" phone is a Constellation.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93tid View Post
    I couldn't agree more on this. And the fact that now Samsung and HTC are picking up the further development of Tizen only proves it further.
    HTC had nothing to do with MeeGo and have nothing to do with Tizen.
    Samsung took over where Nokia left. They continue to develop the platform hand in hand with Intel under the supervision of the Linux Foundation. Some other ex-MeeGo partys also joined in, but as before, only as supporters to the project and not taking part in the actual development.

However, I lost interest in Tizen, at least at the moment, for two major reasons:
    - Samsung ditched the Qt Framework! This is a big issue. They're relying more on HTML5 and their own SDK which will be restricted to a proprietary license!!
    In other words, they ruined the whole project just right here with this move!!

- Secondly, they're treating the OS as if it's theirs. Much like Google treats Android.
    This is against the true meaning of an open source project.

MeeGo was truly open. Just as another Linux distribution. And this status is not just words. It means a lot to the open source community and the potential of the project as a whole!
    Samsung are also integrating their own Bada OS in it. Much like Nokia did with integrating their Maemo OS. But so far presenting it as a product of theirs. From the core up to the User Interface!
    They're turning it into another Android. And the way I see it, they'll try to push it all they can, first in case Android reached a dead end later on, and secondly, obviously it's much better for Samsung to contol their own OS rather than to rely on a partnership with Google.

And there is already a project called Mer founded by indie developers who decided to stick to the cause and keep the work going on MeeGo! Without the support of neither Nokia, Intel, Samsung, nor the Linux Foundation.