Notes Backup Problem - Where the application "Notes" put the files?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thanks

Notes Backup Problem - Where the application "Notes" put the files?

I have updated my N95 from v12 to the latest version. I have made the backup with PC Suite as recommended and everything is fine (Calendar, Contacts and applications) but i miss one very important thing. My notes.

First i have tried the easy way, which means, i have used Nokia software to restore the backup but it freezes at 80%, for more than 15 minutes.

I have also tried the hard way, which means using unix tools such as (cat, strings, grep and so on) to find my notes into the .nbu backup file, but again i got nothing.

So i am wondering, where the Notes Application leaves it's files? is there someone that can help me recover my notes? anyone got similar problem?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I have the same problem with my n95 8gb mate. When i try to synchronize my phone, it synchrinizes everything but the notes. Try downgrading/upgrading your Nokia PC suite and see what happens. (I have the lateset version of pc suite running on windows vista home edition)

As for me, i just retyped my notes onto outlook and backed up anything else. Hit me back when you firgure out a way mate!

Cheers! good luck!

Thanks

Found Mine

After upgrading to V20 my notes are kept in Menu-Applications-Office-Notes and were backup and recovered fine

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    I'm having difficulties with Notes and my Mini. Maybe I need an alternative App?

I've tried the USB cable. In File Manager (XP SP2) I see both the Nokia Phone Browser folder (with the mini in it) AND at the same time the Mini as a separate folder. Both have identical trees and subfolders etc. If I then disconnect the USB, the Mini's folder disappears AND the Mini disappears from the Nokia Phone Browser folder.

I've tried to connect via Bluetooth to the laptop - but haven't managed it yet. Maybe the Mini is looking for "subordinate/peer" devices and my laptop doesn't think of itself as one? The laptop has discovered the Mini and vice versa but when Data transfer (an option Windows found - Synch was the other and that's nowhere to be seen in Bluetooth Manager) is chosen on the laptop, it fails, and vice versa. I can't pair the Mni with the laptop either.

I only wanted to copy across some Notes to see what could be done- The manual suggested going to the Mini finding a Note and sending it (to the laptop) via Bluetooth but that fails.

Looking in Ovi Suite (PC suite Mk2 yech) synching only seems to copy Music/Photos/Messaging/Contacts, relying on Outlook to contain the rest - Notes included. I don't use Outlook!

Maybe there's a better App than Notes which will synch with the laptop in a more straightforward way? Any ideas? (about any of this!)

Thanks

Angry Yes yes...

A very common problem....

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Well, patcaleb, that's reassuring at least. Any advice regarding ther connection problems themselves?

Thanks
    I am still looking for a solution to this... In the meantime I would just bluetooth your notes over to another phone. Then bluetooth them back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to patcaleb For This Useful Post:

talvi (01-28-2011)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patcaleb View Post
    I am still looking for a solution to this... In the meantime I would just bluetooth your notes over to another phone. Then bluetooth them back.
    Great idea, thanks, well I tried it ... the Mini discovered my old phone, my old phone received the pairing request, but then each time the Mini disconnected, almost immediately, and before I could possibly enter the code hit send and pass it back !!!

This new connectivity has so far been even more limited that of my 7600 !!

(p.s. did you get my note on the other thread re DEdit ??)

UPDATE:- BLUETOOTHING FROM THE INDIVIDUAL NOTE TO MY 7600 AND THEN VIA THE 7600 TO THE LAPTOP WORKED PERFECTLY. THANKS!!
    My 6 year old device sailing through the challenge when my Mini resolutely sticks it's head firmly up its fundamentals !!
    Last edited by talvi; 01-28-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: BLUETOOTHING FROM THE INDIVIDUAL NOTE TO MY 7600 AND THEN VIA THE 7600 TO THE LAPTOP WORKED PERFECTLY

Nokia User
    Thanks
    sorry patcaleb, this is the link DEdit jbak.ru/dedit_en.php

Thanks

This is the answer!!

THIS IS THE ANSWER!! THIS IS THE ANSWER!!

hello people... if you want to back up your notes from your nokia phone, there is but one, and only one, option that i have found out... after a looooong search of days!!

its actually pretty simple but very crude.

here goes:

on your phone you will need to do a couple of thing: go to File manager - go into Settings (by pressing Menu on 9300) and enable viewing of the \System folder.

then, go to \apps\notes and copy the entire folder into the 'my files'

then, on your PC Suite: there will be an option of 'file manager' or anything that lets you browse your phone contents. copy the folder on your computer.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    the file will not open under any application on your computer so you will have to copy it to another nokia phone to open it. you can copy the notes to a Word or Document file in the phone and then transfer that to the comp if you want to view the notes on your computer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kubersarup For This Useful Post:

talvi (02-08-2011)

Thanks

Lightbulb Backup Notes to PC, then use NbuExplorer

Still using a Nokia E7 with Symbian, and foolishly entered many amusing Notes onto my phone during a camping trip.
    Still can't get them off my phone in any useful way... I don't have any of the PIM? applications on my Windows 10 PC, so even though the phone says the Notes are sync'ed to my PC via Nokia Suite, I can't find them anywhere on my PC.
    RE: the hint above about the File Manager, I don't see a \System folder, & don't have Settings in the File Manager menu.
    My Phone Settings list some apps, but does not show/let me configure the File Manager app, or the Notes app.

I was able to download & install NbuExplorer (& then the required MS .NET Framework Version 2.0) then extract the Notes as separate .txt files (all Note entry dates missing :-( Glad to have them, but what a pain.

Can anyone recommend a better Notes App in the Symbian Apps archive??? One that will transfer Notes to my PC w/o these hoops????
    Last edited by ptartist; 11-14-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: My Solution