Alternative to Notes ?
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Nokia User
    Thanks

Alternative to Notes ?

Hi

I was reasonably happy with the Notes app, or rather I could have lived with it. My Notes were date-stamped, they seemed to have enough capacity... I could see it was going to be a pain finding a way to file and manage them ... then I discovered they only really work with Outlook, something I don't use anyway.

I've been on the Ovi store but nothing leaps out, and phrases like: "LocaNote: the app where note taking is fun." make me want to open my veins. The selection for the N97-Mini is also small for some reason. Maybe I wasn't looking right. I really want the electronic equivalent of pen and paper or typewriter and paper, with the search and edit capabilities that gives.

I want to be able to write anything from a haiku to a book from a journal to a lecture plan. I don't need bells and whistles. Simple markup, bold/underline/etc, would be good but I can live without them. The main thing is to be able to simply transfer what I write to my laptop, without being tied into Outlook or Ovi Suite etc, and to be able to organise what I write as I wish. I don't want or need anything like Word. For me formatting is a distraction and gets in the way. I can and would prefer to be do it later.

Any experiences, positive or negative, or advice from anyone here who writes a lot would be greatly appeciated. Here''s hoping there's a solution. Surely ..... it's a bit weird to have a full sized qwerty and no decent basic app to use it with!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by talvi; 01-26-2011 at 10:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks

Angry True, true.

Quote Originally Posted by talvi View Post
    Hi

I was reasonably happy with the Notes app, or rather I could have lived with it. My Notes were date-stamped, they seemed to have enough capacity... I could see it was going to be a pain finding a way to file and manage them ... then I discovered they only really work with Outlook, something I don't use anyway.

I've been on the Ovi store but nothing leaps out, and phrases like: "LocaNote: the app where note taking is fun." make me want to open my veins. The selection for the N97-Mini is also small for some reason. Maybe I wasn't looking right. I really want the electronic equivalent of pen and paper or typewriter and paper, with the search and edit capabilities that gives.

I want to be able to write anything from a haiku to a book from a journal to a lecture plan. I don't need bells and whistles. Simple markup, bold/underline/etc, would be good but I can live without them. The main thing is to be able to simply transfer what I write to my laptop, without being tied into Outlook or Ovi Suite etc, and to be able to organise what I write as I wish. I don't want or need anything like Word. For me formatting is a distraction and gets in the way. I can and would prefer to be do it later.

Any experiences, positive or negative, or advice from anyone here who writes a lot would be greatly appeciated. Here''s hoping there's a solution. Surely ..... it's a bit weird to have a full sized qwerty and no decent basic app to use it with!

Thanks in advance
    I can identify with your frustration. I too have this problem.
    There used to be a great notes application on my N97 called Active Notes which was very useful and allowed grouping of notes into categorys and folders. Unfortunately when I switched to the N8 there was no such app. All we have is Quick Office which can be very fiddly especially without any keyboard navigation buttons.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patcaleb For This Useful Post:

talvi (01-27-2011)

Nokia User
    Thanks
    NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! :''(

Thanks Patcaleb,

I could manage without onboard filing ... as long the app can easily transfer the files to my laptop individually, rather than as a single database. Do you have any suggestions ???

Do you know why Active Notes didn't work on a Min / your Mini .... ? It says "Active Notes free download for Symbian s60 3rd and 5th edition." though only in the meta data of their page Free Symbian software apps!.

I loved this (useful?) comment there:
    "If you have the Certificate error change the date on your phone, in my N86 to mid 2007, and when the instalation is finished ok change the date to present time."

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Got a reply on another forum suggesting Dedit I looks good. Anyone here any experience with it?

http://jbak.ru/dedit_en.php

(and have no idea how to check apps for viruses)