sick of people talking about apps for iphone
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

sick of people talking about apps for iphone

hey guys,

is anyone else sick of people talking about apps for iphone, the rescent one being Ping ! why cant we get any descent apps on our nokias!, really makes me wanna come away from nokia

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kam1kaze101 View Post
    hey guys,

is anyone else sick of people talking about apps for iphone, the rescent one being Ping ! why cant we get any descent apps on our nokias!, really makes me wanna come away from nokia
    lol we have "nokia messaging"!!!!

Thanks
    dont you mean OVI chat lol we cant we jump on the Ping thing, this phone has useless apps

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    i have a nokia n86 ... cant fault the wifi though its awesome

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    yeh course i have there aint nothing on there though ....

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Nokia haven't really grasped the fact that it's software that makes a smartphone, not hardware.

I can't remember when I last used the Ovi Store, or rather, downloaded an app from it. The last time I tried to use it I got a message saying the Ovi software needed updating on my phone before I could download anything. The last time it needed updating it required a full reboot and every time since, when I turn on the 5800, I get nagged about setting up my email (though it is already working fine), so I just didn't bother, worried about what else might break.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHotepUK View Post
    Nokia haven't really grasped the fact that it's software that makes a smartphone, not hardware.

I can't remember when I last used the Ovi Store, or rather, downloaded an app from it. The last time I tried to use it I got a message saying the Ovi software needed updating on my phone before I could download anything. The last time it needed updating it required a full reboot and every time since, when I turn on the 5800, I get nagged about setting up my email (though it is already working fine), so I just didn't bother, worried about what else might break.
    Well...it's both really but why is noone taking Qt seriously.......

Thanks
    try fring, nimbuzz, the official msn app, skype..its not like they are NO messaging apps around...
    on another note...this is me again saying the market seems more concentrated on "what can i install"
    rather than getting manufacturers to get it "right out of the box"
    RobertH
    Ovi: RobertH
    FaceBook: Robert Hall

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    but you can only do so much with a handset out of the box you couldnt load it with games and apps that would last a user a year or two and they would never have to download anoher app

people like to buy new games and apps and having choice is a good thing and itunes does it really well , specially their free app a day scheme where top apps get given away for free

its like pc's they come with some software out of the box but how could they cater for everyuser so they could tailor their pc to how they want , thats another thing apps are good for tailoring your device and customising it to get it how you want it and doing what you want it to do

user A may want 100s of games user B may want serious office stuff this is why you will never see a pc or handset fully loaded out of the box doing everything that apps can help achieve if they do it will be aimed ata certain market ie gamer or buisness model etc etc

with apps you can send out a handset with good hardware and then let the user tailor the device to how they want

on the subject of messaging if you want cross platform messaging their is an app that works across iphone , blackberry and nokia symbian

here is the link

WhatsApp Smartphone Messenger

its a good app that lets you ping blackberry users etc etc and it works well

hopefully qt will end nokias software drought as ive seen iphone apps converted in one day so there could be alot going on with qt devolopment if there is money in it for devs and this is where the new ovi store comes in , it looks like other stores , has in app purchases which android doesnt yet , so things shouldnt be too bad when nokia handsets are out that run qt apart from the n900

its all a money game and there are so many people using the iphone and itunes and the dev tools are really really good meaning if you code a good app on their good tools you could be rewarded with alot of money , if qt and nokia are populaur expect there to be some good apps but users have to buy them rather then download cracked versions which is one thing that was killing symbian devolpment , there are so many cracks avalible you google an app and so many cracks come out at the top of the search its unreal , we saw tomtom die of cracked software on symbian and i think its another reason why devolpment has died down alot on symbian platform that and underpowered devices and toolkits that arent the easiest to use

hopefully this will change but it takes time nokia have layed the foundations now we have to see how the thing builds over time , will it be a garden shed witha few good tools in or will it be a superstore brimmed with shiny tools :-)

time will reveal all :-)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:

SC00BY (09-29-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkr100001 View Post
    Well...it's both really but why is noone taking Qt seriously.......
    Its the devs that need to take QT seriously.

Average end user doesn't know or care if their favourite game or app is coded in Visual basic, C+ or Python - as long as it works !

If good software comes out developed with QT - we will take it seriously by buying and using it without even knowing(or caring) what the devlopment tool was

Remember "SEARCH" is your best friend

Previous smartphones 6600,6630,6680,N80,N95,5800 & N900 (all sold) N97 (returned), SGS I9000, SGS 2 I9100
    Current SGS3 I9300 and Nexus 7

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SC00BY For This Useful Post:

dk206 (09-30-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roberth View Post
    try fring, nimbuzz, the official msn app, skype..its not like they are NO messaging apps around...
    on another note...this is me again saying the market seems more concentrated on "what can i install"
    rather than getting manufacturers to get it "right out of the box"
    Feature phones have to be right out of the box, so long as they call, text, have basic camera and web features and run Java, anything else is a bonus.

It is an almost impossible task to get a smartphone right out of the box, as what I want a smartphone to do is probably different to what you want - in exactly the same way as I'm sure that the applications on my pc are similiar to a point as the applications on your PC - BUT i'm equally sure that you have applications on your PC that I don't and vice versa.

No disrespect, but for you to say here and in other threads that its down to the manufacture's to get it right out of the box, as far as smartphones are concerned is (in my opinion ) unrealistic, and as long as we have different needs and desires - impossible.

You may not be comfortable with the growth of the app market, but its what makes a smartphone more than the sum of its hardware and OS parts ?
    Last edited by SC00BY; 09-29-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Remember "SEARCH" is your best friend

Previous smartphones 6600,6630,6680,N80,N95,5800 & N900 (all sold) N97 (returned), SGS I9000, SGS 2 I9100
    Current SGS3 I9300 and Nexus 7

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    I have a symbian 5th edition device, and every app that I want, there is one for my phone. There might be apps out there that I don't know about, where I might think 'that'd be useful' but I doubt it, or I'd be missing it by now, wouldn't I?
    I think that symbian provides all the main apps that most people want, although this will only improve with the release (soon,pleeeease!) of the N8. Until then I can only dream of an app that lets me see where I'm going when I'm walking!

Thanks
    I just tried that whatsapp....very basic and doesnt work on wifi.

I really hope the n8 and the other devices spark interest

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
    I have a symbian 5th edition device, and every app that I want, there is one for my phone. There might be apps out there that I don't know about, where I might think 'that'd be useful' but I doubt it, or I'd be missing it by now, wouldn't I?
    I think that symbian provides all the main apps that most people want, although this will only improve with the release (soon,pleeeease!) of the N8. Until then I can only dream of an app that lets me see where I'm going when I'm walking!
    to the bulk of your post, "ignorance is bliss".
    to the part i bolded, are you talking about augmented reality? YouTube - Android Phones & iPhones' New AR, "Augmented Reality"

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samisnake View Post
    to the bulk of your post, "ignorance is bliss".
    to the part i bolded, are you talking about augmented reality? YouTube - Android Phones & iPhones' New AR, "Augmented Reality"
    They had an articlone on 'Click', the BBC tech show about this sort of app. They demo'd it working in A'dam and London, and it seemed to work really well, with the value of the app increasing as more people use it. Must grab it for my Desire.

I'm very fond of Google Goggles - nobody in their right mind would buy it as a 'feature' for their phone, but it's great fun to use & by contributing your own snaps, you feel like you may be helping someone else one day.

And Roberth, yes - obviously people want their phones to work 100% out of the box from day 1, and the only manufacturer that has given me a non-functional or barely functional phones is Nokia ... twice!

By your own logic, do you think firmware upgrades are pointless, as they should be irrelevant if the phone works as originally intended?