Just thinking about Nokia WP7 Phones
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
    Thanks

Just thinking about Nokia WP7 Phones

We've probably had threads like this before but I was just wondering what do you think the Nokia WP7's need?

After playing with an N8 the other week I think they should definitely have HDMI out, USB OTG, and the ability to play mkv and avi files. Not really features that most people look for in a phone I don't think but they should definitely put those 3 in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    As said before by myself and others, one of Nokia's strengths it has over others has been it's extra features. On it's own, theres never going to be anything interesting about a WM phone, nothing that sets it aside from an Android or Apple phone. Nothing that makes anyone want to buy over others apart from curosity.

But with extra features, such like the ones you mentioned, theres actually a reason to get it over others.

Nokia will not be able to get first on hardware for many years, Samsung especially are moving too fast on that front. So it comes back down to innovation again, and having all these nice little extras, like HDMI out, USB to go. Might not be much on their own, but sometimes having things like this can swing it for someone when making a purchase.
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,617 Posts
    They need to take their best bits and add them to windows , i would think that is the point of the partnership , nokia bringing their gppd hardware etc and microsoft bringing a fluent o/s that can compete with android and ios . if we dont see 12mp carl zeis optics and xenon flash , hdmi out , fm transmitter , solid construction that can take many knocks , file managers , massive storage space via mass memory and sd exspansion etc etc then for me there is no point and nokia wont stand out against then opposistion also making windows phones.

The positive things is microsoft arent fighting the hackers like apple they are working with them and have helped chevron with their hacks and supporting them in their work .

for those that dont know windows can be jailbroken and the device opened up like the apple system in ios , chevron were the 1st to do this there is more here

ChevronWP7

Chevronwp7 -- Engadget

I have high hopes for windows nokia phones , i think symbian is to hard to code for know , look at the anna update its taken ages to add that code and get it out , its hampering them and windows is looking good especially the next version i am seeing on tabs , it reminds me of meego/windows hybrid

5. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanekul View Post
    On it's own, theres never going to be anything interesting about a WM phone, nothing that sets it aside from an Android or Apple phone. Nothing that makes anyone want to buy over others apart from curosity.
    What are the GSII's key points that made it that much successful and play in a league of its own?
    Definitely not Touchwiz 4 nor Android Gingerbread as these two factors are offered by others and at a better package even!

It's GSII's hardware package that made it stands out from the rest of the bunch.

This will be one of Nokia's key points to differentiate themselves within the WP ecosystem.
    Despite all the GSII's goodies, everyone still praising Nokia's hardware and putting it at top!
    As to specs, specially the chipsets, everyone will be featuring the same. If Samsung do get a slight advantage with their custom Exynos chipsets over that from Qualcomm in the Android world, this is really negligble! And within the WP ecosystem, everyone will use Qualcomm's latest.

Other than that, Nokia will be bringing their own stuff over to WP! True they'd be available to others, but Nokia aren't that stupid. Their handsets will be the first to feature those extra goodies. Nokia will emerge as a leader in this domain and their engineers will play part in dictating the pace the WP ecosystem evolves at.
    This is what Nokia failed get from Android, and decided not to jump on the Android wagon as of yet!
    Making own custom interface is not the same as what I mentioned above! Nokia now are partners with Microsoft in developing WP while with Googe, they'd be just another Android devices makers with no say in the Android development itself!

So there remains the big question:
    Is the WP ecosystem itself up to the competition and ready to compete head to head against Android?!

I think no one could give a definite answer for this one! We're just two to three months away from the next major release of WP's new batch!
    Q4 will reveal to us what the future holds for the WP ecosystem.

To me, I've been using an HD7 for about two months now, used for two weeks as my main device just to test it completely.
    There is much to say really. For later post..

But somehow, I do think this three ecosystem theory of Elop won't work. Either that WP replaces Android (in two to three years), or it fails to replace anything and just go into oblivion the way webOS has gone!
    And I think Elop knows this very well. And him and Microsoft are working hard to make this happen!

It all depends on the media though. If Nokia manages to produce a device on par with the GSII or even better, and reviewers start to recommend it and place it at top of the list, then no doubt consumers will start purchasing WP products.
    Also another big factor are the retailers and operators and how are they selling WP products and what focus are they putting on these devices!
    Salesmen still don't know the OS! I witnessed that first hand. They need to be rightly educated!
    But as soon as consumers start asking a lot about WP devices, salesmen, I guess, will start to learn and focus on them more..

It's really a chain reaction. It all starts by smart advertising as well as positive reviews and high recommendations from mainstream media!
    But of course first produce some good devices.
    Last edited by False Morel; 08-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Nokia Genius
    Thanks

Hope all this talk get translated into action!!

Nokia Guru
    Thanks
    Higher speed N8 + 4" 720p res screen + windows phone 8 = a good device.

Will it kill Android or iOS? I doubt it, but it will be a viable third ecosystem as Blackberry dies a slow and painful death.

The biggest problem is that as brands, both Nokia and Microsoft are considered a bit past it & too associated with bad user experiences. They need to re-invent themselves in the eyes of Joe Public, and that's not going to be easy.

Thanks
    ooh 4" quite big no? I don't really want a huge screen. Phone not mini tablet

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    After some series of recent articles coming from interviews with Nokia execs, it's becoming clearer and clearer that Nokia will be going for some UI customisations brought from N9's Harmattan UI!!

We would be talking a buttonless design, swiping out from apps to the start screens of tiles, and a transformation of those three physical buttons into home screen button beneath that little arrow at the right and left side of each of the two home screens respectively..

If Nokia achieves this, and also outsource it to other OEMs, they'd be really leading the WP ecosystem into one winning one!
    This would be concrete evidence of what Elop was talking about explaining why such a deal and partnership is a way better option for Nokia than just become another Android OEM developing their own custom UI!

Some services and stuff will brought from the Ovi ecosystem onto WP's as well. This is thing is confirmed though not as the speculated assumption above..

Quotes from the media:

He also mentioned that the UI innovations done in the N9 will be carried over to Nokia's other products as well.

“We have received extremely positive feedback from consumer tests. I can assure you that the Nokia N9 UI innovations will be seen in
    other Nokia devices going forward
    ,” says Janne.

Elop's evil plan is really folding out!! He pushed the N9 to catch all attention and get all that drool... Then leaked the Sea Ray to hint that the coming Nokia WP device will feature same exclusivities of the N9.. Creating even more hype.. And finally he'll surprise the world with a custom UI similar to that of the N9 on WP leaving no room but to admire Nokia's first WP and praise it.

Not bad I'd say.. 28th isn't far away, we shall see how much of all that will turn out to be true.. Because in the time Nokia had at hand, it's hard to believe they could achieve all that in this little time..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by False Morel View Post
    We would be talking a buttonless design, swiping out from apps to the start screens of tiles, and a transformation of those three physical buttons into home screen button beneath that little arrow at the right and left side of each of the two home screens respectively..

If Nokia achieves this, and also outsource it to other OEMs, they'd be really leading the WP ecosystem into one winning one![/COLOR][/SIZE]
    It will take a huge amount more than that to create anything that will bring back the interest and droves of people back to Nokia. And I prefer a few physical buttons on the phone, I don't want a featureless slab.

Honestly, a few debatable UI changes do not make a winning phone. Theres a raft of issues Nokia has to deal with first, before even getting round to the UI.

Elop's evil plan is really folding out!! He pushed the N9 to catch all attention and get all that drool... Then leaked the Sea Ray to hint that the coming Nokia WP device will feature same exclusivities of the N9.. Creating even more hype.. And finally he'll surprise the world with a custom UI similar to that of the N9 on WP leaving no room but to admire Nokia's first WP and praise it.
    The N9 really didn't get much attention at all in the real world. It got covered in blogs and on some sights, but it really wasn't anything special. Can you honestly say anyone would be drooling over it now given phones like the SGS2, not to mention upcoming handsets?
    I do not give instructions on how to bypass satnav copy protection. So please do not ask via forum or PM.

Pay for you're software, this helps makers produce updates and support the product.

For a Garmin review, click HERE

Copilot review: HERE

Thanks
    Noooooo don't be changing the UI, it's lovely how it is

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Morel View Post
    Elop's evil plan is really folding out!! He pushed the N9 to catch all attention and get all that drool

Attention and drool, where ?

Remember "SEARCH" is your best friend

Previous smartphones 6600,6630,6680,N80,N95,5800 & N900 (all sold) N97 (returned), SGS I9000, SGS 2 I9100
    Current SGS3 I9300 and Nexus 7

Nokia Genius
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanekul View Post
    It will take a huge amount more than that to create anything that will bring back the interest and droves of people back to Nokia. And I prefer a few physical buttons on the phone, I don't want a featureless slab.
    And this coming from someone supposed to understand the market and how companies work?!

I can't believe I'm repeating this again, but it's not about you and me! And there could be no product in this world that simply fits everyone! And there shouldn't be a one! We all need and welcome some true and fierce competition leading us to a whole bunch of viable choices!!

But anyway, it's about what the masses want! The average Joe. The normobs.. Or call them whatever you'd like.

And sorry to tell you, that what seems to you a featureless slab, seem all functional and welcome by the big masses and even the whole bunch of tech experts and professionals, whether genuine or not!

Honestly, a few debatable UI changes do not make a winning phone. Theres a raft of issues Nokia has to deal with first, before even getting round to the UI.
    Nobody said that all it takes are few UI customisations.. It's the whole package which all these small steps, efforts, and innovations make up!

Can you honestly say anyone would be drooling over it now given phones like the SGS2, not to mention upcoming handsets?
    And you even missed the fact that the GSII was revealed, previewed, released, and reviewed all before the N9 announcement at Nokia Connect end of June?

And that every single reviewer, expert, website, and blog praised and hyped the N9 as much as they could even after all having their hands on the GSII?!
    Even the most biased against Nokia had to praise the phone "loudly and proudly"!!

You got phrases like "We'd kill to spend more time with the N9" from one of the top tech sites on the net!

Now, this doesn't mean that the N9 is the better choice for the end consumer than the GSII or any other 2011 smartphone for that matter! Nor does it mean that the N9 is simply a better handset!
    However, it introduced a new concept, new ideas, and new revolutionary innovations that bear much potential!
    And even if you spend years denying this, it really means nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by SC00BY View Post
    Attention and drool, where ?
    Hmmm.. Like everywhere?!

I'm really not sure! Are you guys really following the news?! Are you really in touch with the latest of our blogosphere?! Or just spending all the time digging, reading, and learning in Android and GSII forums and blogs?!
    Which isn't a bad thing to do at all! Don't get me wrong in this.

But really, you seem out of touch! Which isn't that bad as well. Not everyone have time and interest to stay in touch all the time..