PS3Video9 - Video Conversion
NokiaUsers.net is the premier Nokia Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    btc

Thanks

PS3Video9 - Video Conversion

This app is designed to convert any video source (including DVDs though you will need to remove the protection yourself) to PS3 applicable formats.

With a bit of minor tweaking (overwriting one file) you can make this a great Nokia N95 (and possibly others) video converter.

Download
    PS3Video9 - http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/
    Updated File - http://www.meaz.org/stuff/ps3video9.zip

Instructions
    • Download PS3Video9 and install.
    • Download ps3video9.zip and extract it to (assuming you used a default install location):
      C:\Program Files\Red Kawa\Video Converter\Profiles\Video
    • Run PS3Video9
    • Under Settings/Devices/PS3 change the location of where MPEG4 videos are outputted to whichever folder you wish
    • Click Convert
    • Click Current Conversion
    • Click Convert Video
      Select your video to convert
    • Drop down Profile and choose one of the Nokia ones I prepared
      There are 12 profiles in all which are the sum of 3 bitrates, 2 sizes (small and large) and 2 formats (4:3 and 16:9)
      Choose whichever is applicable to you based on size, quality and resolution
    • Click Start

Quality Findings
    If you are just going to watch on your phone and not output to the TV, the Nokia 768kbps Small profiles are fine.
    For TV output I would suggest using Nokia 1536kbps Large. During output from the encoding tests below the picture quality was good on a 42" plasma. Some minor artifacting could be seen but not much and this was on large areas of black which likely made it easier to see.

Encoding Times/Sizes
    I did a brief test of the first 30 seconds of the latest episode of 24 and then ran it through some sample conversions. Time taken to convert is in brackets after the size). I've also attached screenshots so you can compare quality. As you will see, you cannot really see any difference, the only time you can is when outputting to a TV.

Original XVID - 5224kb

Nokia 128kbps 16:9 Small - 932kb (10s)

Nokia 128kbps 16:9 SmHQ - 922kb (18s)

Nokia 256kbps 16:9 Small - 1408kb (10s)

Nokia 384kbps 16:9 Small - 1884kb (10s)

Nokia 768kbps 16:9 Small - 2429kb (10s)

Nokia 1024kbps 16:9 Small - 2429kb (13s)

Nokia 1024kbps 16:9 Large - 4165kb (13s)

Nokia 1536kbps 16:9 Large - 5622kb (20s)

Nokia 1536kbps 16:9 Ultra - 5467kb (49s)

Updates/Comments
    There are other settings that could possibly be used during conversion for even better quality to TV outputting.
    If I find them I'll update this post with details and a new ps3video9.zip.

Hopefully this will be of use to some people.
    If you like it or have any comments, please post

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to btc For This Useful Post:

backudog (02-18-2008), blackheart2925 (09-01-2008), bob0smith (11-08-2009), Canterbury (04-11-2009), djyox (01-01-2009), dr3n (07-22-2008), echofsilence (03-11-2008), half.life (02-10-2008), j.ayton (05-26-2008), LordTakyon (02-26-2008), MadCow (01-17-2008), Micky (01-16-2008), newname24 (01-20-2008), Numenor (01-17-2008), oodLes (03-08-2009), solidsnakept2002 (09-15-2007), Sp00k (03-08-2009), Stone (02-22-2008), Vens (02-07-2008), zulujake (01-26-2008)

3. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thats some hot sauce right there :P Now all I need is an N95 to put those videos on...

Thanks
    Very nice- Thank you. Can't wait to get my N95 and hook it up! I'll probably start encoding a bunch of videos this week for the imminent arrival of my Multimedia Computer.

6. Remove Advertisements
    NokiaUsers.net
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks alot man!

btc

Thanks
    Cheers guys!

Added a new profile, "Nokia 1536kbps 16:9 Ultra".
    The minor artifacts are pretty much gone with this profile, but you pay in encoding time (Large = 20s, Ultra = 49s!). Ive updated the old zip so redownload and overwrite as per the instructions above.

Also, all the other profiles use 128kbps audio, Ultra uses 192kbps.
    What is surprising is that the file size for Ultra is slightly smaller than the Large one :shock:

I'll now test this profile on the one thing that killed the other ones for TV output, gaming movies.
    As they have lots of changes per frame its harder to get a good encoding. Large was OK, but Im keeping my fingers crossed Ultra will be almost perfect. I'll update my findings once encodings finished!

btc

Thanks
    Just converted 30 seconds of a gaming movie.
    It took 84s and is very good quality using the Ultra profile!

btc

Thanks
    One more thing I forgot to mention
    Regardless of source, if the video is bigger than 640x? it will resize it for you.

4:3 = 640x480
    16:9 = 640x360

Thanks
    Thanks very much for the info! I converted a couple of movies and the quality on the phone screen is AWESOME!

Thanks

thanks

Thanks for those profiles -

I've just dumped my psp as a video player for this phone .

Very impressed with playback quality

Thanks again

J.

Thanks
    See- I kept the PSP for video playback- but now it's just basically permanently mounted on my dash in the car and I'll take the N95 with me.

btc

Thanks
    ps3video.zip updated again with more profiles.
    Added 4:3 and 16:9 profiles for:

128kbps Small
    128kbps SmHQ
    256kbps Small
    384kbps Small

I honestly cannot see any difference between 256 Small and 1024 Small, except 256 has a lot smaller file size!

128 I think I saw a couple of artifacts, hence the SmHQ which uses some extra flags to give better quality but again you pay in encoding time if you use this one.

So, even though the choice is there my profile recommendations are
    • Using on phone, need fast encode:
      Nokia 256kbps Small
    • Using on phone, need smallest size:
      Nokia 128kbps SmHQ
    • Using on phone, want to see full quality on TV output:
      Nokia 1536kbps Ultra

I'll update the top post with file sizes from the sample vid but can tell you now that using 128kbps SmHQ gives you a 922KB file

btc

Thanks
    Images and times updated in first post

Thanks
    Thanks for all your testing m8

I think the 256 small 16:9 profile is absolutely perfect for movie playback.

Blade Trinity 2hr movie encodes at around 325mb using this profile @ 320x240 which compared to my old psp encodes is pretty rich stuff.

I could have sworn on early reviews of the phone that it was H264 MP4 AVC compliant - but my n95 wont play any avc stuff???? - maybe misguided early info.

Well you've just cost me a new bl-f5 battery and 2gb card because i'm hooked now!

Definately time to let the psp do all my game handling instead of movie viewing!!! - And to think i nearly purchased an Arcos on the day I got my N95.

Well chuffed!

Keep up the good work.

J.

Thanks
    Just found my first niggle with Realplayer installed on the n95.

If you fast forward through a long encode - video/audio will desync - Worse still it doesnt seem to recover.

Anyone know of a better player that can be installed on series 60 3rd edition that can play these encodes???

Mobiledvd/smartmovie dont.

All the best

J.

Thanks
    What format are your media files encoded into?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudofinn
    What format are your media files encoded into?
    All fine now - Seems my antivirus scan caused the desync while I was encoding - DOH! - I must remember to turn off processor intensive tasks when I'm cooking my cpu with a blow torch!! lol

All the best

J.

Thanks
    Thanks for this - it's a really handy piece of software. I tried it out the night before last with an episode of Lost and was really impressed with the quality.

Thanks
    man i have lots of conversion softs, lets try this one this time when i get my n95 :cry:
    thanx man

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Can I just say that I think I love you!

After playing about with Super to no avail this did exactly what you said it would.

Nice one!

btc

Thanks
    No problems, glad to have helped some people

Thanks
    Awesome thread you got BTC <3 If any admins is on I suggest we sticky this thread! Lots of people will be interested in this thread once they have received their N95. I'm quite excited to try this out when I get my N95 (if it ever comes )

BTC: What kind of computer are you using to encode these videos? I'm a bit tempted to upgrade my computer soon as I will be in a encoding frenzy next week XD It's too bad microSD is limited to 2GB though :cry:

btc

Thanks
    Encode tests were done on Athlon 64 3200, 1gb of ram running XP so not the worlds fastest machine.

I wouldn't worry about the 2GB card size, just use the 256 or 384kbps small and everything will look fine if you want to play it on the phone and then you can fit loads on. I've currently got 17 vids on mine (1-15 mins in length) and they only take up 479MB in total. 2 of the vids were encoded using the highest quality/size as well so I could output to TV

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxstarmanxxx
    I could have sworn on early reviews of the phone that it was H264 MP4 AVC compliant - but my n95 wont play any avc stuff???? - maybe misguided early info.
    It will play h264/avc but it needs to be baseline profile, not main profile. This is the same sort of thing as the ipod. Baseline has a few less features than main, I imagine this makes it less heavy to decode, and thus is more suited to smaller devices with more limited CPU & battery.

Im hoping that in theory the quicktime ipod & apple tv encoding settings will work with the N95, as that will make a lot of the video podcasts/videoblogs compatible with the N95. I'll test now.

Thanks
    ^yup, they work...I just used the default setting on my Videora which I used on my ipod and it works flawlessly...

Thanks
    Does this encode into H264? If not, is there a way to do that with this program?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

Thanks
    Allright so i did install these programs but i cannot find anything to get the movie off the dvd. I downloaded various decoders that all had various errors and i have yet to get anything onto my N95 : ( I am running vista and someone suggested that that might be my problem. Can ANyone help?

Please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joscwy
    Allright so i did install these programs but i cannot find anything to get the movie off the dvd. I downloaded various decoders that all had various errors and i have yet to get anything onto my N95 : ( I am running vista and someone suggested that that might be my problem. Can ANyone help?

Please?
    Google either of the following and install:

Smartripper

CladDVD

Both will rip dvd's to your hard drive

Hope that helps

J.

Thanks
    I've followed the guide using the customised settings file. Videos work fine but selecting the 4:3 options for the 768k files doesn't seem to work for me, it still outputs them in widescreen? Is it something to do with the Real player or an error with the encoder settings?

The original video is in widescreen, although I presume this doesn't matter as 4:3 should chop off the sides?

Thanks
    Started a new thread with official Nokia conversion software-

http://www.n95users.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3838
    I have more phones than sense - The PseudoCollection on Flickr

Thanks
    Allright i went with smart ripper, but it did not quite do it as well as Chaddvd, i did get dvd shrink which made many isofiles oe copied them rather, and i tried using pspconverter program that was posted here but it makes a file that is 0kb and its nothing. Ig goes through and takes a long time doing something, but the resulting file is blank. I am about to give up. I just wanted to put one of my dvds on mt phone.

:cry:

It could be that i am just a moron, but i am not used to ripping dvds.

Thanks
    Btc,

Thanks for your help! Can you give a hand to an ignoramus (meaning, me)?

I have a mpeg4 converted file (i.e. from DVD format to mpeg4, using Mac-compatible Handbrake software) of South Park. I tried using the Ps3 converter and the 256kbps settings, but .... phone won't run the video (i could hear the audio fine). Any guesses why?

I also tried to convert an MOV file, and ... the RealPlayer won't even see the file itself.

Thanks in advance for any help, dude!

btc

Thanks
    Can you play the files OK on your PC?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btc
    Can you play the files OK on your PC?
    Yessir. They play okay in iTunes and in my iPod. Note i'm using a Mac.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your help BTC.. I'm so happy
    Thanks for the really nice and long tutorial with the examples and stuff.. awesome.

Thanks
    Oooh, this looks great, will check it out!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond42n View Post
    Btc,

Thanks for your help! Can you give a hand to an ignoramus (meaning, me)?

I have a mpeg4 converted file (i.e. from DVD format to mpeg4, using Mac-compatible Handbrake software) of South Park. I tried using the Ps3 converter and the 256kbps settings, but .... phone won't run the video (i could hear the audio fine). Any guesses why?

I also tried to convert an MOV file, and ... the RealPlayer won't even see the file itself.

Thanks in advance for any help, dude!
    same problem here, only i'm using windows xp. Also, when I play the file on my pc, it plays quite shocky.

How do I select languages and subtitles in the ripped file? Is it possible? Don't want to watch my southpark movie in french..

Thanks
    Wow, this is a really cool piece of software, especially with the extra profiles loaded in.

I havent even got my n95 delivered yet and allready im converting loads of stuff to load it up with....

Great forum guys, Keep up the good work. And heres to many more bits of software like the above...
    ....................................Ian.

Thanks
    i found this the ps3 software work very good. thanks you!!

What is the quickest way to convert an actual dvd (e.i Shrek,matrix) to mp4 or what ever format the n95 support.

after I Decrypted the dvd movie (using dvd decrypter) to my hdd.
    i then have a bunch of VTS/VOB in the movie folder/hdd. I can't find a way to add all those VTS/Vob files to convert to ONE file using PS3. can someone show me how to do that or i have to use another software to join all the vts/vod together as one file and then use Ps3 for final conversion.

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by plattq45; 07-15-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Nokia User
    Thanks
    Which of these Nokia profiles converts to 640X480 for good TV Out?

Thanks
    Many many thanks the guide has helped me alot with my N95

Can i ask how can i get the videos to display full screen - dont care about aspect ratios on a mobile screen - is a there profile that will use the whole screen in landscape mode.

Thanks

A little more help?

I recently got a WinMo 6 phone for work and I was thinking if anybody knows of any good profile for it (it's an ATT Tilt/aka HTC Tytn II). My N95 plays the MP4s very well, but the Tilt has sync problems (image/sound).

Thanks
    hey guys, my first post here. Can u guys assist me on which File is it that i need to overwrite? How do i do it? ive been unzipping the file and there are no instructions inside of it....im really lost...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyr View Post
    hey guys, my first post here. Can u guys assist me on which File is it that i need to overwrite? How do i do it? ive been unzipping the file and there are no instructions inside of it....im really lost...
    Unzip the file into C:\Program Files\Red Kawa\Video Converter\Profiles\Video (or whatever drive you installed the program too) and it will overwrite the PS3.xml file here

Thanks
    Hello there

I have just installed and used this program to convert and watch Transformers on my N95 8GB and it worked fine! I used the Nokia 768kbps 16:9 small profile and the picture is brilliant, however i want to be able to watch it in full screen mode where the video takes up the whole screen, like spiderman 3 that came already loaded onto the phone, rather than cropping the top and bottom. Is there any way of doing this?

I know that 16:9 is widescreen but as the N95 8GB screen is also widescreen then surely the video should take up the entire screen when veiwing?

Not all that technical so try and keep it in plain english if poss :-)

Many thanks to anyone who replys

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MJCDJ View Post
    Hello there

I have just installed and used this program to convert and watch Transformers on my N95 8GB and it worked fine! I used the Nokia 768kbps 16:9 small profile and the picture is brilliant, however i want to be able to watch it in full screen mode where the video takes up the whole screen, like spiderman 3 that came already loaded onto the phone, rather than cropping the top and bottom. Is there any way of doing this?

I know that 16:9 is widescreen but as the N95 8GB screen is also widescreen then surely the video should take up the entire screen when veiwing?

Not all that technical so try and keep it in plain english if poss :-)

Many thanks to anyone who replys
    Hi, if you want it full screen on your phone you need to select 4:3 when converting it (its in the part where you select what quality you need then you select start conversion)!

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersianboydotco For This Useful Post:

Micky (01-16-2008), MJCDJ (01-16-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts
    This is a great conversion tool, and have followed the instructions, and have overwritten the file i was supposed to, and now have the Nokia options for the settings, and size etc.

My question now is, somewhat related, and probably an easy one to answer by many, but not me, maybe im too old lol, but basically, I have decrypted a dvd ready to convert, but now have several files.

My question is, which file to I convert to get the whole film.?

I have the following files...

VIDEO_TS
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2

and so on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,294 Posts

To find your Nokia Firmware version, key *#0000#. The V##.#.### shown is your current Firmware! Please add these details with Nokia model to your profile. This information will help others help you. Thank you.!

Thanks
    it doenst support subtitles, right? is there a way to use subtitles? (Alternative players maybe)
    Any hint will be appreciate

I'm from Brazil so every movie I need to watch with subtitles

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi-R View Post
    This is a great conversion tool, and have followed the instructions, and have overwritten the file i was supposed to, and now have the Nokia options for the settings, and size etc.

My question now is, somewhat related, and probably an easy one to answer by many, but not me, maybe im too old lol, but basically, I have decrypted a dvd ready to convert, but now have several files.

My question is, which file to I convert to get the whole film.?

I have the following files...

VIDEO_TS
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2

and so on.
    Hi GSi-R,

To achieve 1 complete file to convert using PS3, you need to open your decrypted DVD with DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 (last available version), go to preferences and UNTICK the box that says 'split into 1GB chunks' (or something like that!).

Once Shrink has finished backing up the DVD, you will be left with 1 vob file to play with as you wish.

Hope this helps

Laterz

Datafanatic

54. The Following User Says Thank You to datafanatic For This Useful Post:

Micky (02-11-2008)

Thanks
    Hi First time poster

Just wanted to ask for some help please, I have the nokia n95 8gb (black version) and i'm having trouble with the video playback.

I can convert the files from the great help from btc, the problem with it after I do the coverstion and put on the phone my video player seems to reboot it's self and freeze/hang when in the folder. I can play the files from the file folder but they take ages to load is this normal? also if I do smaller videos say like a music vid they seem fine but any full lengh films then the video centre just jumps back to standby screen.

Thanks for any help

TEZA
    Last edited by tezauk; 02-06-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Missed a little info out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast